- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 936041, 10 pages
Polymeric and Ceramic Nanoparticles in Biomedical Applications
1Licenciatura en Tecnología, Centro de Física Aplicada y Tecnología Avanzada, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus Juriquilla, Juriquilla, QRO, Mexico
2Facultad de Medicina Veterinaria y Zootecnia, Universidad Michoacana de San Nicolás de Hidalgo, 58893 Morelia, MICH, Mexico
3Unidad León, Escuela Nacional de Estudios Superiores, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de Mexico, León, GTO, Mexico
4Departamento de Ingeniería Molecular de Materiales, Centro de Física Aplicada y Tecnología Avanzada, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus Juriquilla, Boulevard Juriquilla 3001, 76230 Juriquilla, QRO, Mexico
Received 4 October 2012; Accepted 2 December 2012
Academic Editor: Mallikarjuna Nadagouda
Copyright © 2012 Aura-Ileana Moreno-Vega et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Yildirimer, N. T. K. Thanh, M. Loizidou, and A. M. Seifalian, “Toxicological considerations of clinically applicable nanoparticles,” Nano Today, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 585–607, 2011.
- G. Lövestam, H. Rauscher, G. Roebben, B.S. Klüttgen, et al., “Considerations on a definition of nanomaterial for regulatory purposes,” JRC Reference Reports JRC58726, Publications Office of the European Union, 2010.
- J. A. Kim, Aberg C., A. Salvati, and K. A. Dawson, “Role of cell cycle on the cellular uptake and dilution of nanoparticles in a cell population,” Nature Nanotechnology, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 62–68, 2012.
- E. Cairo, “Nanotechnology based drug delivery in mucosal immune diseases: hype or hope?” Mucosal Immunology, vol. 5, pp. 2–3, 2012.
- J. V. Georgieva, D. Kalicharan, P. O. Couraud et al., “Surface characteristics of nanoparticles determine their intracellular fate in and processing by human blood-brain barrier endothelial cells in vitro,” Molecular Therapy, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 318–325, 2011.
- P. H. M. Hoet, A. Nemmar, and B. Nemery, “Health impact of nanomaterials?” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 22, no. 1, p. 19, 2004.
- I. Linkov, M. E. Bates, L. J. Canis, T. P. Seager, and J. M. Keisler, “A decision-directed approach for prioritizing research into the impact of nanomaterials on the environment and human health,” Nature Nanotechnology, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 784–787, 2011.
- K. K. Jain, The Handbook of Nanomedicine, Humana/Springer, Totowa, NJ, USA, 2008.
- K. Cho, X. Wang, S. Nie, Z. Chen, and D. M. Shin, “Therapeutic nanoparticles for drug delivery in cancer,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 1310–1316, 2008.
- W. J. Gradishar, S. Tjulandin, N. Davidson et al., “Phase III trial of nanoparticle albumin-bound paclitaxel compared with polyethylated castor oil-based paclitaxel in women with breast cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 23, no. 31, pp. 7794–7803, 2005.
- A. Kumari, S. K. Yadav, and S. C. Yadav, “Biodegradable polymeric nanoparticles based drug delivery systems,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 1–18, 2010.
- R. C. Mundargi, V. R. Babu, V. Rangaswamy, P. Patel, and T. M. Aminabhavi, “Nano/micro technologies for delivering macromolecular therapeutics using poly(d,l-lactide-co-glycolide) and its derivatives,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 125, no. 3, pp. 193–209, 2008.
- Z. S. Haidar, M. Tabrizian, and R. C. Hamdy, “A hybrid rhOP-1 delivery system enhances new bone regeneration and consolidation in a rabbit model of distraction osteogenesis,” Growth Factors, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 44–55, 2010.
- M. H. Dufresne, D. Le Garrec, V. Sant, J. C. Leroux, and M. Ranger, “Preparation and characterization of water-soluble pH-sensitive nanocarriers for drug delivery,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 277, no. 1-2, pp. 81–90, 2004.
- V. A. Sethuraman and Y. H. Bae, “TAT peptide-based micelle system for potential active targeting of anti-cancer agents to acidic solid tumors,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 118, no. 2, pp. 216–224, 2007.
- H. Otsuka, Y. Nagasaki, and K. Kataoka, “PEGylated nanoparticles for biological and pharmaceutical applications,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 403–419, 2003.
- N. Welsch, A. Wittemann, and M. Ballauff, “Enhanced activity of enzymes immobilized in thermoresponsive core-shell microgels,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 113, no. 49, pp. 16039–16045, 2009.
- K. S. Soppimath, T. M. Aminabhavi, A. R. Kulkarni, and W. E. Rudzinski, “Biodegradable polymeric nanoparticles as drug delivery devices,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 70, no. 1-2, pp. 1–20, 2001.
- C. Roney, P. Kulkarni, V. Arora et al., “Targeted nanoparticles for drug delivery through the blood-brain barrier for Alzheimer's disease,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 108, no. 2-3, pp. 193–214, 2005.
- P. V. Kulkarni, C. A. Roney, P. P. Antich, F. J. Bonte, A. V. Raghu, and T. M. Aminabhavi, “Quinoline-n-butylcyanoacrylate-based nanoparticles for brain targeting for the diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease,” Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Nanomedicine and Nanobiotechnology, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 35–47, 2010.
- M. Doshi, “Dendrimer and its application,” International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Review and Research, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 104–111, 2011.
- R. K. Tekade, P. V. Kumar, and N. K. Jain, “Dendrimers in oncology: an expanding horizon,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 49–87, 2009.
- S. A. Agnihotri, N. N. Mallikarjuna, and T. M. Aminabhavi, “Recent advances on chitosan-based micro- and nanoparticles in drug delivery,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 5–28, 2004.
- W. E. Rudzinski and T. M. Aminabhavi, “Chitosan as a carrier for targeted delivery of small interfering RNA,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 125, pp. 193–209, 2008.
- K. Chaturvedi, K. Ganguly, A. R. Kulkarni et al., “Cyclodextrin-based siRNA delivery nanocarriers: a state-of-the-art review,” Expert Opinion on Drug Delivery, vol. 8, no. 11, pp. 1455–1468, 2011.
- V. R. Babu, P. Patel, R. C. Mundargi, V. Rangaswamy, and T. M. Aminabhavi, “Developments in polymeric devices for oral insulin delivery,” Expert Opinion on Drug Delivery, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 403–415, 2008.
- O. V. Salata, “Applications of nanoparticles in biology and medicine,” Journal of Nanobiotechnology, vol. 2, article 3, 2004.
- C. Damgé, P. Maincent, and N. Ubrich, “Oral delivery of insulin associated to polymeric nanoparticles in diabetic rats,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 117, no. 2, pp. 163–170, 2007.
- J. C. Pickup, Z. L. Zhi, F. Khan, T. Saxl, and D. J. S. Birch, “Nanomedicine and its potential in diabetes research and practice,” Diabetes/Metabolism Research and Reviews, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 604–610, 2008.
- B. Fadeel and A. E. García-Bennett, “Better safe than sorry: understanding the toxicological properties of inorganic nanoparticles manufactured for biomedical applications,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 362–374, 2010.
- C. Lazau, L. Mocanu, I. Miron, P. Sfirloaga, et al., “Consideration regarding the use of TiO2 doped nanoparticles in medicine,” Digest Journal of Nanomaterials and Biostructures, vol. 2, pp. 257–263, 2007.
- S. Yamaguchi, H. Kobayashi, T. Narita et al., “Sonodynamic therapy using water-dispersed TiO2-polyethylene glycol compound on glioma cells: comparison of cytotoxic mechanism with photodynamic therapy,” Ultrasonics Sonochemistry, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 1197–1204, 2011.
- K. Yamashita, Y. Yoshioka, K. Higashisaka et al., “Silica and titanium dioxide nanoparticles cause pregnancy complications in mice,” Nature Nanotechnology, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 321–328, 2011.
- M. Benezra, O. Penate-Medina, P. B. Zanzonico et al., “Multimodal silica nanoparticles are effective cancer-targeted probes in a model of human melanoma,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 121, no. 7, pp. 2768–2780, 2011.
- X. Yang, J. Liu, H. He et al., “SiO2 nanoparticles induce cytotoxicity and protein expression alteration in HaCaT cells,” Particle and Fibre Toxicology, vol. 7, article 1, 2010.
- N. Roveri and M. Iafisco, “Evolving application of biomimetic nanostructured hydroxyapatite,” Nanotechnology, Science and Applications, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 107–125, 2010.
- L. Li, H. Pan, J. Tao et al., “Repair of enamel by using hydroxyapatite nanoparticles as the building blocks,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 18, no. 34, pp. 4079–4084, 2008.
- Z. S. Liu, S. L. Tang, and Z. L. Ai, “Effects of hydroxyapatite nanoparticles on proliferation and apoptosis of human hepatoma BEL-7402 cells,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 9, no. 9, pp. 1968–1971, 2003.
- N. Sanvicens and M. P. Marco, “Multifunctional nanoparticles: properties and prospects for their use in human medicine,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 425–433, 2008.
- C. Ostiguy, G. Lapointe, M. Trottier, L. Ménard L, et al., “The health effects of nanoparticles,” IRSST Report R-451, 2006.
- C. Ostiguy, B. Soucy, C. Woods, L. Ménard, and M. Trottier, “Chemical substances and biological agents: studies and research projects health, effects of nanoparticles second edition,” IRSST Report R-589, Montréal, Canada, 2008.
- T. Hartung, “Toxicology for the twenty-first century,” Nature, vol. 460, no. 7252, pp. 208–212, 2009.