- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 961216, 10 pages
Designing Gold Nanoparticle-Ensembles as Surface Enhanced Raman Scattering Tags inside Human Retinal Cells
1Nanobiophotonics and Laser Microspectroscopy Center, Institute for Interdisciplinary Research in Bio-Nano-Sciences and Faculty of Physics, Babes-Bolyai University, Treboniu Laurian 42, 400271 Cluj-Napoca, Romania
2Department of Biochemistry, University of Agricultural Sciences and Veterinary Medicine, Manastur 3-5, 400372 Cluj-Napoca, Romania
3Faculty of Physics, Babes-Bolyai University, Kogalniceanu 1, 400084 Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Received 10 January 2012; Accepted 15 February 2012
Academic Editor: Brian M. Cullum
Copyright © 2012 Sanda Boca et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. C. Pregibon, M. Toner, and P. S. Doyle, “Multifunctional encoded particles for high-throughput biomolecule analysis,” Science, vol. 315, no. 5817, pp. 1393–1396, 2007.
- J. Yang, M. P. Sena, and X. Gao, “Quantum dot-encoded fluorescent beads for biodetection and imaging,” Reviews in Fluorescence, vol. 2007, pp. 139–156, 2009.
- K. B. Cederquist, S. L. Dean, and C. D. Keating, “Encoded anisotropic particles for multiplexed bioanalysis,” Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Nanomedicine and Nanobiotechnology, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 578–600, 2010.
- K. T. Thurn, E. M. B. Brown, A. Wu et al., “Nanoparticles for applications in cellular imaging,” Nanoscale Research Letters, vol. 2, no. 9, pp. 430–441, 2007.
- R. A. Alvarez-Puebla and L. M. Liz-Marzán, “SERS-based diagnosis and biodetection,” Small, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 604–610, 2010.
- R. F. Aroca, Surface-Enhanced Vibrational Spectroscopy, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2006.
- M. Moskovits, “Surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy: a brief retrospective,” Journal of Raman Spectroscopy, vol. 36, no. 6-7, pp. 485–496, 2005.
- X. Qian, X. H. Peng, D. O. Ansari et al., “In vivo tumor targeting and spectroscopic detection with surface-enhanced Raman nanoparticle tags,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 83–90, 2008.
- A. Matschulat, D. Drescher, and J. Kneipp, “Surface-enhanced Raman scattering hybrid nanoprobe multiplexing and imaging in biological systems,” ACS Nano, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 3259–3269, 2010.
- Z. Merican, T. L. Schiller, C. J. Hawker, P. M. Fredericks, and I. Blakey, “Self-assembly and encoding of polymer-stabilized gold nanoparticles with surface-enhanced Raman reporter molecules,” Langmuir, vol. 23, no. 21, pp. 10539–10545, 2007.
- X. Su, J. Zhang, L. Sun et al., “Composite Organic-Inorganic Nanoparticles (COINs) with chemically encoded optical signatures,” Nano Letters, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 49–54, 2005.
- S. P. Mulvaney, M. D. Musick, C. D. Keating, and M. J. Natan, “Glass-coated, analyte-tagged nanoparticles: a new tagging system based on detection with surface-enhanced Raman scattering,” Langmuir, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 4784–4790, 2003.
- B. Küstner, M. Gellner, M. Schütz et al., “SERS labels for red laser excitation: silica-encapsulated SAMs on tunable gold/silver nanoshells,” Angewandte Chemie—International Edition, vol. 48, no. 11, pp. 1950–1953, 2009.
- T. Wang, X. Hu, and S. Dong, “Surfactantless synthesis of multiple shapes of gold nanostructures and their shape-dependent SERS spectroscopy,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 110, no. 34, pp. 16930–16936, 2006.
- C. Hrelescu, T. K. Sau, A. L. Rogach, F. Jäckel, and J. Feldmann, “Single gold nanostars enhance Raman scattering,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 94, no. 15, Article ID 153113, 2009.
- G. H. Jeong, Y. W. Lee, M. Kim, and S. W. Han, “High-yield synthesis of multi-branched gold nanoparticles and their surface-enhanced Raman scattering properties,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 329, no. 1, pp. 97–102, 2009.
- S. Boca, D. Rugina, A. Pintea, L. Barbu-Tudoran, and S. Astilean, “Flower-shaped gold nanoparticles: synthesis, characterization and their application as SERS-active tags inside living cells,” Nanotechnology, vol. 22, no. 5, Article ID 055702, 2011.
- S. C. Boca, M. Potara, F. Toderas, O. Stephan, P. L. Baldeck, and S. Astilean, “Uptake and biological effects of chitosan-capped gold nanoparticles on Chinese Hamster Ovary cells,” Materials Science and Engineering C, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 184–189, 2011.
- M. G. Bellino, E. J. Calvo, and G. Gordillo, “Adsorption kinetics of charged thiols on gold nanoparticles,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 424–428, 2004.
- A. Hofmann, P. Schmiel, B. Stein, and C. Graf, “Controlled formation of gold nanoparticle dimers using multivalent thiol ligands,” Langmuir, vol. 27, no. 24, pp. 15165–15175, 2011.
- L. Sun, D. Zhao, M. Ding et al., “Controllable synthesis of silver nanoparticle aggregates for surface-enhanced raman scattering studies,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 115, no. 33, pp. 16295–16304, 2011.
- M. Ringler, T. A. Klar, A. Schwemer et al., “Moving nanoparticles with Raman scattering,” Nano Letters, vol. 7, no. 9, pp. 2753–2757, 2007.
- D. B. Lukatsky and D. Frenkel, “Surface and bulk dissolution properties, and selectivity of DNA-linked nanoparticle assemblies,” The Journal of chemical physics, vol. 122, no. 21, Article ID 214904, 11 pages, 2005.
- X. Han, J. Goebl, Z. Lu, and Y. Yin, “Role of salt in the spontaneous assembly of charged gold nanoparticles in ethanol,” Langmuir, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 5282–5289, 2011.
- G. F. Paciotti, D. G. I. Kingston, and L. Tamarkin, “Colloidal gold nanoparticles: a novel nanoparticle platform for developing multifunctional tumor-targeted drug delivery vectors,” Drug Development Research, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 47–54, 2006.
- J. P. Nolan and D. S. Sebba, “Surface-enhanced raman scattering (SERS) cytometry,” Methods in Cell Biology, vol. 102, pp. 515–532, 2011.
- Z. Zhu, T. Zhu, and Z. Liu, “Raman scattering enhancement contributed from individual gold nanoparticles and interparticle coupling,” Nanotechnology, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 357–364, 2004.
- J. P. Camden, J. A. Dieringer, Y. Wang et al., “Probing the structure of single-molecule surface-enhanced Raman scattering hot spots,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 130, no. 38, pp. 12616–12617, 2008.
- H. Ko, S. Singamaneni, and V. V. Tsukruk, “Nanostructured surfaces and assemblies as SERS media,” Small, vol. 4, no. 10, pp. 1576–1599, 2008.
- P. K. Jain and M. A. El-Sayed, “Noble metal nanoparticle Pairs: effect of medium for enhanced nanosensing,” Nano Letters, vol. 8, no. 12, pp. 4347–4352, 2008.
- I. A. Larmour, E. A. Argueta, K. Faulds, and D. Graham, “Design consideration for surface-enhanced (resonance) Raman scattering nanotag cores,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 116, no. 4, pp. 2677–2682, 2012.
- X. Huang, I. H. El-Sayed, W. Qian, and M. A. El-Sayed, “Cancer cell imaging and photothermal therapy in the near-infrared region by using gold nanorods,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 128, no. 6, pp. 2115–2120, 2006.
- L. Rodríguez-Lorenzo, R. A. Álvarez-Puebla, F. J.G. De Abajo, and L. M. Liz-Marzán, “Surface enhanced Raman scattering using star-shaped gold colloidal nanoparticles,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 114, no. 16, pp. 7336–7340, 2010.
- J. T. Edsall and E. L. Sagall, “Raman spectra of l-ascorbic acid, tetronic acid and related compounds,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 65, no. 7, pp. 1312–1316, 1943.
- C. Yohannan Panicker, H. Tresa Varghese, and D. Philip, “FT-IR, FT-Raman and SERS spectra of vitamin C,” Spectrochimica Acta—Part A, vol. 65, no. 3-4, pp. 802–804, 2006.
- H. Yang and J. Irudayaraj, “Rapid determination of vitamin C by NIR, MIR and FT-Raman techniques,” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 54, no. 9, pp. 1247–1255, 2002.
- C. Mangeney, F. Ferrage, I. Aujard et al., “Synthesis and properties of water-soluble gold colloids covalently derivatized with neutral polymer monolayers,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 124, no. 20, pp. 5811–5821, 2002.
- N. Leopold, J. R. Baena, M. Bolboacǎ, O. Cozar, W. Kiefer, and B. Lendl, “Raman, IR, and surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy of papaverine: an automated setup for in situ synthesis of the silver substrate and recording of the SER spectra,” Vibrational Spectroscopy, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 47–55, 2004.
- J. D. Jiang, E. Burstein, and H. Kobayashi, “Resonant raman scattering by crystal-violet molecules adsorbed on a smooth gold surface: evidence for a charge-transfer excitation,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 57, no. 14, pp. 1793–1796, 1986.
- A. W. Basit, F. Podczeck, J. M. Newton, W. A. Waddington, P. J. Ell, and L. F. Lacey, “Influence of polyethylene glycol 400 on the gastrointestinal absorption of ranitidine,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 1368–1374, 2002.
- S. C. Boca and S. Astilean, “Detoxification of gold nanorods by conjugation with thiolated poly(ethylene glycol) and their assessment as SERS-active carriers of Raman tags,” Nanotechnology, vol. 21, no. 23, Article ID 235601, 2010.
- T. Niidome, M. Yamagata, Y. Okamoto et al., “PEG-modified gold nanorods with a stealth character for in vivo applications,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 114, no. 3, pp. 343–347, 2006.
- J. Kneipp, H. Kneipp, B. Wittig, and K. Kneipp, “Novel optical nanosensors for probing and imaging live cells,” Nanomedicine, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 214–226, 2010.
- J. Kneipp, H. Kneipp, M. McLaughlin, D. Brown, and K. Kneipp, “In vivo molecular probing of cellular compartments with gold nanoparticles and nanoaggregates,” Nano Letters, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 2225–2231, 2006.
- X. Qian, J. Li, and S. Nie, “Stimuli-responsive SERS nanoparticles: conformational control of plasmonic coupling and surface Raman enhancement,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 131, no. 22, pp. 7540–7541, 2009.
- C. Matthäus, T. Chernenko, J. A. Newmark, C. M. Warner, and M. Diem, “Label-free detection of mitochondrial distribution in cells by nonresonant Raman microspectroscopy,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 668–673, 2007.