- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanotechnology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 138457, 10 pages
LDPE/HDPE/Clay Nanocomposites: Effects of Compatibilizer on the Structure and Dielectric Response
Département de Génie Mécanique, École de Technologie Supérieure (ETS), 1100 Notre-Dame Ouest, Montréal, QC, Canada H3C 1K3
Received 26 July 2013; Accepted 16 August 2013
Academic Editor: John Zhanhu Guo
Copyright © 2013 B. Zazoum et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Kawasumi, N. Hasegawa, M. Kato, A. Usuki, and A. Okada, “Preparation and mechanical properties of polypropylene-clay hybrids,” Macromolecules, vol. 30, no. 20, pp. 6333–6338, 1997.
- H. Tan and W. Yang, “Toughening mechanisms of nano-composite ceramics,” Mechanics of Materials, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 111–123, 1998.
- Y. Han, Z. Wang, X. Li, J. Fu, and Z. Cheng, “Polymer-layered silicate nanocomposites: synthesis, characterization, properties and applications,” Current Trends in Polymer Science, vol. 6, pp. 1–16, 2001.
- X. Kornmann, H. Lindberg, and L. A. Berglund, “Synthesis of epoxy-clay nanocomposites: influence of the nature of the clay on structure,” Polymer, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 1303–1310, 2001.
- L. A. Utracki and M. R. Kamal, “Clay-containing polymeric nanocomposites,” Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 43–67, 2002.
- S. Hotta and D. R. Paul, “Nanocomposites formed from linear low density polyethylene and organoclays,” Polymer, vol. 45, no. 22, pp. 7639–7654, 2004.
- K. Zhao and K. He, “Dielectric relaxation of suspensions of nanoscale particles surrounded by a thick electric double layer,” Physical Review B, vol. 74, no. 20, Article ID 205319, 10 pages, 2006.
- H. Awaji, Y. Nishimura, S. Choi, Y. Takahashi, T. Goto, and S. Hashimoto, “Toughening mechanism and frontal process zone size of ceramics,” Journal of the Ceramic Society of Japan, vol. 117, no. 1365, pp. 623–629, 2009.
- L. Chen and G. Chen, “Relaxation behavior study of silicone rubber crosslinked network under static and dynamic compression by electric response,” Polymer Composites, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 101–106, 2009.
- P. Kim, N. M. Doss, J. P. Tillotson et al., “High energy density nanocomposites based on surface-modified BaTiO3 and a ferroelectric polymer,” ACS Nano, vol. 3, no. 9, pp. 2581–2592, 2009.
- M. A. Osman, J. E. P. Rupp, and U. W. Suter, “Tensile properties of polyethylene-layered silicate nanocomposites,” Polymer, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 1653–1660, 2005.
- X. Zhang, Z. Liu, Q. Li, Y. Leung, K. Ip, and S. Hark, “Routes to grow well-aligned arrays of ZnSe nanowires and nanorods,” Advanced Materials, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 1405–1410, 2005.
- R. D. Davis, A. J. Bur, M. McBrearty, Y. Lee, J. W. Gilman, and P. R. Start, “Dielectric spectroscopy during extrusion processing of polymer nanocomposites: a high throughput processing/characterization method to measure layered silicate content and exfoliation,” Polymer, vol. 45, no. 19, pp. 6487–6493, 2004.
- M. Böhning, H. Goering, A. Fritz et al., “Dielectric study of molecular mobility in poly(propylene-graft-maleic anhydride)/clay nanocomposites,” Macromolecules, vol. 38, no. 7, pp. 2764–2774, 2005.
- N. Noda, Y. H. Lee, A. J. Bur et al., “Dielectric properties of nylon 6/clay nanocomposites from on-line process monitoring and off-line measurements,” Polymer, vol. 46, no. 18, pp. 7201–7217, 2005.
- P. J. Purohit, J. E. Huacuja-Sánchez, D. Wang et al., “Structure-property relationships of nanocomposites based on polypropylene and layered double hydroxides,” Macromolecules, vol. 44, no. 11, pp. 4342–4354, 2011.
- V. Tomer, G. Polizos, C. A. Randall, and E. Manias, “Polyethylene nanocomposite dielectrics: implications of nanofiller orientation on high field properties and energy storage,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 109, no. 7, Article ID 074113, 11 pages, 2011.
- J. Morawiec, A. Pawlak, M. Slouf, A. Galeski, E. Piorkowska, and N. Krasnikowa, “Preparation and properties of compatibilized LDPE/organo-modified montmorillonite nanocomposites,” European Polymer Journal, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 1115–1122, 2005.
- T. G. Gopakumar, J. A. Lee, M. Kontopoulou, and J. S. Parent, “Influence of clay exfoliation on the physical properties of montmorillonite/polyethylene composites,” Polymer, vol. 43, no. 20, pp. 5483–5491, 2002.
- M. J. Dumont, A. Reyna-Valencia, J. P. Emond, and M. Bousmina, “Barrier properties of polypropylene/organoclay nanocomposites,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 103, no. 1, pp. 618–625, 2007.
- N. Hasegawa, M. Kawasumi, M. Kato, A. Usuki, and A. Okada, “Preparation and mechanical properties of polypropylene-clay hybrids using a maleic anhydride-modified polypropylene oligomer,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 87–92, 1998.
- N. Hasegawa, H. Okamoto, M. Kato, and A. Usuki, “Preparation and mechanical properties of polypropylene-clay hybrids based on modified polypropylene and organophilic clay,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 78, no. 11, pp. 1918–1922, 2000.
- M. Kato, A. Usuki, and A. Okada, “Synthesis of polypropylene oligomer-clay intercalation compounds,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 66, no. 9, pp. 1781–1785, 1997.
- P. Maiti, P. H. Nam, M. Okamoto, N. Hasegawa, and A. Usuki, “Influence of crystallization on intercalation, morphology, and mechanical properties of polypropylene/clay nanocomposites,” Macromolecules, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 2042–2049, 2002.
- E. Manias, A. Touny, L. Wu, K. Strawhecker, B. Lu, and T. C. Chung, “Polypropylene/montmorillonite nanocomposites. Review of the synthetic routes and materials properties,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 3516–3523, 2001.
- P. H. Nam, P. Maiti, M. Okamoto, T. Kotaka, N. Hasegawa, and A. Usuki, “A hierarchical structure and properties of intercalated polypropylene/clay nanocomposites,” Polymer, vol. 42, no. 23, pp. 9633–9640, 2001.
- Y. Wang, F. B. Chen, K. C. Wu, and J. C. Wang, “Shear rheology and melt compounding of compatibilized-polypropylene nanocomposites: effect of compatibilizer molecular weight,” Polymer Engineering and Science, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 289–302, 2006.
- F. Kremer and A. Schönhals, Broadband Dielectric Spectroscopy, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2003.
- E. Laredo, M. Grimau, F. Sánchez, and A. Bello, “Water absorption effect on the dynamic properties of nylon-6 by dielectric spectroscopy,” Macromolecules, vol. 36, no. 26, pp. 9840–9850, 2003.
- H. M. Le Huy and J. Rault, “Remarks on the α and β transitions in swollen polyamides,” Polymer, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 136–139, 1994.
- D. W. McCall and E. W. Anderson, “Dielectric properties of linear polyamides,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 237–241, 1960.