- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanotechnology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 140273, 9 pages
Chitosan/Carboxymethylcellulose/Ionic Liquid/Ag(0) Nanoparticles Form a Membrane with Antimicrobial Activity
1Laboratory of Physical Chemistry, School of Chemistry and Food, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande (FURG), Avendia Itália Km 08, 96201-900 Rio Grande do Sul, RS, Brazil
2Institute of Science and Food Technology, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS), Rio Grande do Sul, RS, Brazil
Received 22 January 2013; Accepted 7 February 2013
Academic Editor: Benjaram M. Reddy
Copyright © 2013 Camila Quadros et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. K. Stoimenov, R. L. Klinger, G. L. Marchin, and K. J. Klabunde, “Metal oxide nanoparticles as bactericidal agents,” Langmuir, vol. 18, no. 17, pp. 6679–6686, 2002.
- L. Balogh, D. R. Swanson, D. A. Tomalia, G. L. Hagnauer, and A. T. McManus, “Dendrimer-silver complexes and nanocomposites as antimicrobial agents,” Nano Letters, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 18–21, 2001.
- T. Kasuga, H. Kume, and Y. Abe, “Porous glass-ceramics with bacteriostatic properties in silver-containing titanium phosphates: control of release of silver ions from glass-ceramics into aqueous solution,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 777–780, 1997.
- T. Kasuga, H. Kume, and Y. Abe, “Titanium phosphate glass-ceramics with silver ion exchangeability,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 82, no. 3, pp. 765–767, 1999.
- M. R. Yang, K. S. Chem, J. C. Rsai, C. C. Tseng, and S. F. Lin, “The antibacterial activities of hydrophilic-modified nonwoven PET,” Materials Science and Engineering C, vol. 20, no. 1-2, pp. 167–173, 2002.
- S. Y. Kwak, S. H. Kim, and S. S. Kim, “Hybrid organic/inorganic reverse osmosis (RO) membrane for bactericidal anti-fouling. 1. Preparation and characterization of TiO2 nanoparticle self-assembled aromatic polyamide thin-film-composite (TFC) membrane,” Environmental Science & Technology, vol. 35, no. 11, pp. 2388–2394, 2001.
- M. Kierans, A. M. Staines, H. Bennett, and G. M. Gadd, “Silver tolerance and accumulation in yeasts,” Biology of Metals, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 100–106, 1991.
- M. R. Ciriolo, P. Civitareale, M. T. Carri, A. De Martino, F. Galiazzo, and G. Rotilio, “Purification and characterization of Ag,Zn-superoxide dismutase from Saccharomyces cerevisiae exposed to silver,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 269, no. 41, pp. 25783–25787, 1994.
- B. Ding, E. Kimura, T. Sato, S. Fujita, and S. Shiratori, “Fabrication of blend biodegradable nanofibrous nonwoven mats via multi-jet electrospinning,” Polymer, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 1895–1902, 2004.
- A. Nagendran and D. R. Mohan, “Cellulose acetate and polyetherimide blend ultrafiltration membranes: II. Effect of additive,” Polymers for Advanced Technologies, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 24–35, 2008.
- K. J. Edgar, C. M. Buchanan, J. S. Debenham et al., “Advances in cellulose ester performance and application,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 26, no. 9, pp. 1605–1688, 2001.
- G. Viswanathan, S. Murugesan, V. Pushparaj, O. Nalamasu, P. M. Ajayan, and R. J. Linhardt, “Preparation of biopolymer fibers by electrospinning from room temperature ionic liquids,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 415–418, 2006.
- M. Balci, A. Alli, B. Hazer, O. Güven, K. Cavicchi, and M. Cakmak, “Synthesis and characterization of novel comb-type amphiphilic graft copolymers containing polypropylene and polyethylene glycol,” Polymer Bulletin, vol. 64, no. 7, pp. 691–705, 2010.
- O. H. Khan, T. L. Enno, and M. R. Del Bigio, “Brain damage in neonatal rats following kaolin induction of hydrocephalus,” Experimental Neurology, vol. 200, no. 2, pp. 311–320, 2006.
- Y. Koike and M. Cakmak, “Atomic force microscopy observations on the structure development during uniaxial stretching of PP from partially molten state: effect of isotacticity,” Macromolecules, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 2171–2181, 2010.
- K. H. Lee, O. Ohsawa, K. Watanabe et al., “Electrospinning of syndiotactic polypropylene from a polymer solution at ambient temperatures,” Macromolecules, vol. 42, no. 14, pp. 5215–5218, 2010.
- D. B. Hazer, D. Burcu, M. Mut et al., “The efficacy of silver-embedded polypropylene-grafted polyethylene glycol-coated ventricular catheters on prevention of shunt catheter infection in rats,” Child's Nervous System, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 839–846, 2012.
- O. A. Kalaycı, F. B. Comert, B. Hazer, T. Atalay, K. A. Cavicchi, and M. Cakmak, “Synthesis, characterization, and antibacterial activity of metal nanoparticles embedded into amphiphilic comb-type graft copolymers,” Polymer Bulletin, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 215–226, 2010.
- O. A. El Seoud, A. Koschella, L. C. Fidale, S. Dorn, and T. Heinze, “Applications of ionic liquids in carbohydrate chemistry: a window of opportunities,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 8, no. 9, pp. 2629–2647, 2007.
- P. Dash and R. W. J. Scott, “1-methylimidazole stabilization of gold nanoparticles in imidazolium ionic liquids,” Chemical Communications, no. 7, pp. 812–814, 2009.
- C. C. Cassol, G. Ebeling, B. Ferrera, and J. Dupont, “A simple and practical method for the preparation and purity determination of halide-free imidazolium ionic liquids,” Advanced Synthesis & Catalysis, vol. 348, no. 1-2, pp. 243–248, 2006.
- J. R. Carbajal, Short Reference Guide of the Program Fullprof, version 3. 5., Ftp://Charybde.Saclay.Cea.Fr.
- E. P. Barrett, L. G. Joyner, and P. P. Halenda, “The determination of pore volume and area distributions in porous substances. I. Computations from nitrogen isotherms,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 373–380, 1951.
- S. Brunauer, “About some critics of the BET theory,” Langmuir, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 3–4, 1987.
- C. Peniche-Covas, W. Arguelles-Monal, and J. San Roman, “Sorption and desorption of water vapour by membranes of the polyelectrolyte complex of chitosan and carboxymethyl cellulose,” Polymer International, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 45–52, 1995.
- Z. J. Zhou, H. L. Chen, M. E. Liu, and Y. Zhang, “Pervaporation dehydration of alcohol with polyelectrolyte membrane,” Chemical Journal of Chinese Universities, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 1213–1215, 2001.
- V. M. Barragan, C. Rueda, and C. Ruizbauza, “On the fixed charge concentration and the water electroosmotic transport in a cellulose acetate membrane,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 172, no. 2, pp. 361–367, 1995.
- L. N. Zhang, D. C. Zhou, H. Wang, and S. Y. Cheng, “Ion exchange membranes blended by cellulose cuoxam with alginate,” Journal of Membrane Science, vol. 124, no. 2, pp. 195–201, 1997.
- A. Lali, A. N. A., R. John, and D. Thakrar, “Reversible precipitation of proteins on carboxymethyl cellulose,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 35, no. 8, pp. 777–785, 2000.
- A. Bottino, G. Capannelli, A. Comite, A. Del Borghi, and R. R. Di Felice, “Catalytic ceramic membrane in a three-phase reactor for the competitive hydrogenation-isomerisation of methylenecyclohexane,” Separation and Purification Technology, vol. 34, no. 1–3, pp. 239–245, 2004.
- G. Centi and S. Perathoner, “Novel catalyst design for multiphase reactions,” Catalysis Today, vol. 79-80, pp. 3–13, 2003.
- J. Zaman and A. Chakma, “Inorganic membrane reactors,” Journal of Membrane Science, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 1–28, 1994.
- D. Fritsch and G. Bengtson, “Development of catalytically reactive porous membranes for the selective hydrogenation of sunflower oil,” Catalysis Today, vol. 118, no. 1-2, pp. 121–127, 2006.
- E. A. Campos and Y. Gushikem, “Composite membrane of Niobium(V) oxide and cellulose acetate: preparation and characterization,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 193, no. 1, pp. 121–126, 1997.
- K. Y. Yoon, J. H. yeon, J. H. Park, and J. Hwang, “Susceptibility constants of Escherichia coli and Bacillus subtilis to silver and copper nanoparticles,” Science of The Total Environment, vol. 373, no. 2-3, pp. 572–575, 2007.
- A. E. Visser, W. M. Reichert, R. P. Swatloski, H. D. Willauer, J. G. Huddleston, and R. D. Rogers, “Characterization of hydrophilic and hydrophobic ionic liquids: alternatives to volatile organic compounds for liquid-liquid separations,” Ionic Liquids, vol. 818, pp. 289–308, 2002.
- Y. J. Huang, D. Li, P. He, C. Y. Sun, M. J. Wang, and J. H. Li, “Semipermeable membrane embodying noble metal nanoparticles and its electrochemical behaviors,” Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, vol. 579, no. 2, pp. 277–282, 2005.
- H. Y. Lee, H. K. Park, Y. M. Lee, K. Kim, and S. B. Park, “A practical procedure for producing silver nanocoated fabric and its antibacterial evaluation for biomedical applications,” Chemical Communications, vol. 28, pp. 2959–2961, 2007.
- J. S. Kim, E. Kuk, K. N. Yu et al., “Antimicrobial effects of silver nanoparticles,” Nanomedicine, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 95–101, 2007.