- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanotechnology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 173625, 11 pages
The Effect of Vacuum Annealing of Magnetite and Zero-Valent Iron Nanoparticles on the Removal of Aqueous Uranium
Interface Analysis Centre, University of Bristol, 121 St. Michael’s Hill, Bristol BS2 8BS, UK
Received 24 July 2013; Revised 22 August 2013; Accepted 4 September 2013
Academic Editor: Andrei Kolmakov
Copyright © 2013 R. A. Crane and T. B. Scott. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W.-X. Zhang, “Nanoscale iron particles for environmental remediation: an overview,” Journal of Nanoparticle Research, vol. 5, no. 3-4, pp. 323–332, 2003.
- T. Masciangioli and W.-X. Zhang, “Environmental technologies at the nanoscale,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 102A–108A, 2003.
- R. A. Crane, M. Dickinson, I. C. Popescu, and T. B. Scott, “Magnetite and zero-valent iron nanoparticles for the remediation of uranium contaminated environmental water,” Water Research, vol. 45, no. 9, pp. 2931–2942, 2011.
- M. Dickinson and T. B. Scott, “The application of zero-valent iron nanoparticles for the remediation of a uranium-contaminated waste effluent,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 178, no. 1–3, pp. 171–179, 2010.
- F. He, D. Zhao, and C. Paul, “Field assessment of carboxymethyl cellulose stabilized iron nanoparticles for in situ destruction of chlorinated solvents in source zones,” Water Research, vol. 44, no. 7, pp. 2360–2370, 2010.
- S. Klimkova, M. Cernik, L. Lacinova, J. Filip, D. Jancik, and R. Zboril, “Zero-valent iron nanoparticles in treatment of acid mine water from in situ uranium leaching,” Chemosphere, vol. 82, no. 8, pp. 1178–1184, 2011.
- T. B. Scott, I. C. Popescu, R. A. Crane, and C. Noubactep, “Nano-scale metallic iron for the treatment of solutions containing multiple inorganic contaminants,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 186, no. 1, pp. 280–287, 2011.
- H. Cui, Y. Feng, W. Ren, T. Zeng, H. Lv, and Y. Pan, “Strategies of large scale synthesis of monodisperse nanoparticles,” Recent Patents on Nanotechnology, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 32–41, 2009.
- T. B. Scott, M. Dickinson, R. A. Crane, O. Riba, G. M. Hughes, and G. C. Allen, “The effects of vacuum annealing on the structure and surface chemistry of iron nanoparticles,” Journal of Nanoparticle Research, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 1765–1775, 2010.
- M. Dickinson, T. B. Scott, R. A. Crane, O. Riba, R. J. Barnes, and G. M. Hughes, “The effects of vacuum annealing on the structure and surface chemistry of iron:nickel alloy nanoparticles,” Journal of Nanoparticle Research, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 2081–2092, 2010.
- F. C. Camilo Moura, G. C. Oliveira, M. H. Araujo, J. D. Ardisson, W. A. De Almeida Macedo, and R. M. Lago, “Formation of highly reactive species at the interface Fe°-iron oxides particles by mechanical alloying and thermal treatment: potential application in environmental remediation processes,” Chemistry Letters, vol. 34, no. 8, pp. 1172–1173, 2005.
- K. V. Ragnarsdottir and L. Charlet, Uranium Behaviour in Natural Environments, Environmental Mineralogy—Microbial Interactions, Anthropogenic Influences, Contaminated Land and Waste Management, vol. 9 of Mineralogical Society Series, 2000.
- C.-B. Wang and W.-X. Zhang, “Synthesizing nanoscale iron particles for rapid and complete dechlorination of TCE and PCBs,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 2154–2156, 1997.
- “Dayta Systems Bristol UK,” 2013, http://www.daytasystems.co.uk/.
- A. P. Grosvenor, B. A. Kobe, M. C. Biesinger, and N. S. McIntyre, “Investigation of multiplet splitting of Fe 2p XPS spectra and bonding in iron compounds,” Surface and Interface Analysis, vol. 36, no. 12, pp. 1564–1574, 2004.
- L. Zhang and A. Manthiram, “Experimental study of ferromagnetic chains composed of nanosize Fe spheres,” Physical Review B, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 3462–3467, 1996.
- S. Das, M. J. Hendry, and J. Essilfie-Dughan, “Transformation of two-line ferrihydrite to goethite and hematite as a function of pH and temperature,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 268–275, 2011.
- L. E. Davidson, S. Shaw, and L. G. Benning, “The kinetics and mechanisms of schwertmannite transformation to goethite and hematite under alkaline conditions,” American Mineralogist, vol. 93, no. 8-9, pp. 1326–1337, 2008.
- R. M. Cornell and U. Schwertmann, The Iron Oxides: Structure, Properties, Reactions, Occurrences and Uses, Wiley-VCH, 2003.
- T. Missana, M. García-Gutiérrez, and V. Fernńdez, “Uranium (VI) sorption on colloidal magnetite under anoxic environment: experimental study and surface complexation modelling,” Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, vol. 67, no. 14, pp. 2543–2550, 2003.
- S. Mann, N. H. C. Sparks, S. B. Couling, M. C. Larcombe, and R. B. Frankel, “Crystallochemical characterization of magnetic spinels prepared from aqueous solution,” Journal of the Chemical Society, Faraday Transactions 1, vol. 85, no. 9, pp. 3033–3044, 1989.
- E. Murad, “Mössbauer and X-ray data on β-FeOOH (akaganéite),” Clay Minerology, vol. 14, pp. 273–283, 1976.
- T. B. Scott, G. C. Allen, P. J. Heard, and M. G. Randell, “Reduction of U(VI) to U(IV) on the surface of magnetite,” Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, vol. 69, no. 24, pp. 5639–5646, 2005.