- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanotechnology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 296517, 6 pages
Carbon Nanotube Composites for Electronic Packaging Applications: A Review
Electronics Packaging Laboratory, Technische Universitat Dresden, Helmholtzstraße 10, 01062 Dresden, Germany
Received 31 August 2012; Revised 10 April 2013; Accepted 22 April 2013
Academic Editor: Carlos R. Cabrera
Copyright © 2013 Lavanya Aryasomayajula and Klaus-Juergen Wolter. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Rawal, “Metal-matrix composites for space applications,” Journal of the Minerals, Metals and Materials Society, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 14–17, 2001.
- P. Rohatgi, “Cast aluminum-matrix composites for automotive applications,” Journal of the Minerals, Metals and Materials Society, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 10–15, 1991.
- A. M. Bondar, I. Iordache, and P. Svasta, “Carbon/ceramic composites designed for electronic application,” in Proceedings of the 1st Electronics Systemintegration Technology Conference (ESTC '06), pp. 708–713, September 2006.
- NPTel, “Engineering applications of composite materials”.
- S. R. Bakshi, D. Lahiri, and A. Agarwal, “Carbon nanotube reinforced metal matrix composites—a review,” International Materials Reviews, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 41–64, 2010.
- M. Endo, M. S. Strano, and P. M. Ajayan, “Potential applications of carbon nanotubes,” Topics in Applied Physics, vol. 111, pp. 13–62, 2008.
- S. Fan, M. G. Chapline, N. R. Franklin, T. W. Tombler, A. M. Cassell, and H. Dai, “Self-oriented regular arrays of carbon nanotubes and their field emission properties,” Science, vol. 283, no. 5401, pp. 512–514, 1999.
- A. Naeemi, R. Sarvari, and J. D. Meindl, “Performance comparison between carbon nanotube and copper interconnects for gigascale integration (GSI),” IEEE Electron Device Letters, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 84–86, 2005.
- M. Endo, C. Kim, K. Nishimura, T. Fujino, and K. Miyashita, “Recent development of carbon materials for Li ion batteries,” Carbon, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 183–197, 2000.
- G. Che, B. B. Lakshmi, E. R. Fisher, and C. R. Martin, “Carbon nanotubule membranes for electrochemical energy storage and production,” Nature, vol. 393, no. 6683, pp. 346–349, 1998.
- J. Kong, N. R. Franklin, C. Zhou et al., “Nanotube molecular wires as chemical sensors,” Science, vol. 287, no. 5453, pp. 622–625, 2000.
- G. Pastorin, W. Wu, S. Wieckowski et al., “Double functionalisation of carbon nanotubes for multimodal drug delivery,” Chemical Communications, no. 11, pp. 1182–1184, 2006.
- A. B. Dalton, S. Collins, J. Razal et al., “Continuous carbon nanotube composite fibers: properties, potential applications, and problems,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 1–3, 2004.
- P. M. Ajayan, O. Stephan, P. Redlich, and C. Colliex, “Carbon nanotubes as removable templates for metal oxide nanocomposites and nanostructures,” Nature, vol. 375, no. 6532, pp. 564–567, 1995.
- T. W. Ebbesen and P. M. Ajayan, “Large-scale synthesis of carbon nanotubes,” Nature, vol. 358, no. 6383, pp. 220–222, 1992.
- S. Iijima and T. Ichihashi, “Single-shell carbon nanotubes of 1-nm diameter,” Nature, vol. 363, no. 6430, pp. 603–605, 1993.
- M. Heimann, R. Rieske, O. Telychkina, B. Boehme, and K. Wolter, “Application of carbon nanotubes as conductive filler of epoxy adhesives in microsystems,” in GMM Workshop Mikro-Nano-Integration, Seeheim, Germany, March 2007.
- H. Matthias, B. Boehme, S. Sebastian, M. Wirts-Ruetters, and K. J. Wolter, “CNTs—a comparable study of CNT-filled adhesives with common materials,” in Proceedings of the 59th Electronic Components and Technology Conference (ECTC '09), pp. 1871–1878, San Diego,Calif,USA, May 2009.
- R. Wojciech, Characterisation of processability of cnt filled lead-free solder pastes [M.S. thesis], TU Dresden, Dresden, Germany, 2009.
- T. Wang, K. Jeppson, N. Olofsson, E. E. B. Campbell, and J. Liu, “Through silicon vias filled with planarized carbon nanotube bundles,” Nanotechnology, vol. 20, no. 48, Article ID 485203, 2009.
- S. Arai, T. Saito, and M. Endo, “Cu-MWCNT composite films fabricated by electrodeposition,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 157, no. 3, pp. D147–D153, 2010.
- Wu and T. Mau, Carbon nanotube applications for CMOS back-end processing [Ph.D. thesis], Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2005.
- Q. Chen, “Carbon nanotube reinforced metal composites,” US Patent 2007/0036978A1, Feb15 2007.
- S. Bal and S. S. Samal, “Carbon nanotube reinforced polymer composites—a state of the art,” Bulletin of Materials Science, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 379–386, 2007.
- M. Heimann, M. Wirts-Ruetters, B. Boehme, and K. J. Wolter, “Investigations of carbon nanotubes epoxy composites for electronics packaging,” in Proceedings of the 58th Electronic Components and Technology Conference (ECTC '08), pp. 1731–1736, May 2008.
- S. M. L. Nai, J. Wei, and M. Gupta, “Effect of carbon nanotubes on the shear strength and electrical resistivity of a lead-free solder,” Journal of Electronic Materials, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 515–522, 2008.
- M. K. Lai, N. M. Mohamed, and K. M. Begam, “The role of Al2O3 buffer layer in the growth of aligned CNTs,” Advanced Materials Research, vol. 32, pp. 29–32, 2008.
- F. Kreupl, A. P. Graham, M. Liebau, G. S. Duesberg, R. Seidel, and E. Unger, “Carbon nanotubes for interconnect applications,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Electron Devices Meeting (IEDM '04), pp. 683–686, December 2004.
- S. Esconjauregui, M. Fouquet, B. C. Bayer et al., “Growth of ultrahigh density vertically aligned carbon nanotube forests for interconnects,” ACS Nano, vol. 4, no. 12, pp. 7431–7436, 2010.
- Y. Chai, Fabrication and characterization of carbon nanotubes for interconnect applications [Ph.D. thesis], The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, 2009.
- S. Arai, T. Saito, and M. Endo, “Effects of additives on Cu-MWCNT composite plating films,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 157, no. 3, pp. D127–D134, 2010.
- T. Chowdhury and J. F. Rohan, “Influence of carbon nanotubes on the electrodeposition of copper interconnects,” ECS Transactions, vol. 25, no. 38, pp. 37–46, 2010.
- P. Liu, D. Xu, Z. Li, B. Zhao, E. S. W. Kong, and Y. Zhang, “Fabrication of CNTs/Cu composite thin films for interconnects application,” Microelectronic Engineering, vol. 85, no. 10, pp. 1984–1987, 2008.
- D. I. Endler, “Preparation of a composite consisting of aligned carbon nanotubes and copper,” 2011.