- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanotechnology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 830151, 7 pages
Immobilization of α-Chymotrypsin on the Surface of Magnetic/Gold Core/Shell Nanoparticles
1Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, State University of New York at Buffalo, 303 Furnas Hall, Buffalo, NY 14260-4200, New York, USA
2Department of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, Azadi Avenue, P.O. Box 11365, Tehran, Iran
Received 23 July 2013; Accepted 10 October 2013
Academic Editor: E. Goldys
Copyright © 2013 Mahmoud Kamal Ahmadi and Manouchehr Vossoughi. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Wu, P. Ou, and L. Zeng, “Biomedical applications of magnetic nanoparticles,” Nano, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 245–270, 2010.
- S. M. Moghimi, A. C. Hunter, and J. C. Murray, “Long-circulating and target-specific nanoparticles: theory to practice,” Pharmacological Reviews, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 283–318, 2001.
- J. M. Wilkinson, “Nanotechnology applications in medicine,” Medical Device Technology, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 29–31, 2003.
- Y. Zhang, N. Kohler, and M. Zhang, “Surface modification of superparamagnetic magnetite nanoparticles and their intracellular uptake,” Biomaterials, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 1553–1561, 2002.
- X. Su, X. Zhan, F. Tang, J. Yao, and J. Wu, “Magnetic nanoparticles in brain disease diagnosis and targeting drug delivery,” Current Nanoscience, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 37–46, 2011.
- M. G. Harisinghani, J. Barentsz, P. F. Hahn et al., “Noninvasive detection of clinically occult lymph-node metastases in prostate cancer,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 348, no. 25, pp. 2491–2499, 2003.
- J. He, H. F. VanBrocklin, B. L. Franc, Y. Seo, and E. F. Jones, “Nanoprobes for medical diagnosis: current status of nanotechnology in molecular imaging,” Current Nanoscience, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 17–29, 2008.
- J. Rauch, W. Kolch, S. Laurent, and M. Mahmoudi, “Big signals from small particles: regulation of cell signaling pathways by nanoparticles,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 113, pp. 3391–3406, 2013.
- M. Mahmoudi, H. Hofmann, B. Rothen-Rutishauser, and A. Petri-Fink, “Assessing the in vitro and in vivo toxicity of superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticles,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 112, no. 4, pp. 2323–2338, 2012.
- A. K. Gupta and M. Gupta, “Synthesis and surface engineering of iron oxide nanoparticles for biomedical applications,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 18, pp. 3995–4021, 2005.
- A. Jordan, R. Scholz, K. Maier-Hauff et al., “Presentation of a new magnetic field therapy system for the treatment of human solid tumors with magnetic fluid hyperthermia,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 225, no. 1-2, pp. 118–126, 2001.
- X. Zhou, S. Ni, X. Wang, and F. Wu, “Adsorption of sodium oleate on nano-sized Fe3O4 particles prepared by co-precipitation,” Current Nanoscience, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 259–263, 2007.
- A. K. Gupta and S. Wells, “Surface-modified superparamagnetic nanoparticles for drug delivery: preparation, characterization, and cytotoxicity studies,” IEEE Transactions on Nanobioscience, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 66–73, 2004.
- J. Lee, T. Isobe, and M. Senna, “Preparation of ultrafine Fe3O4 particles by precipitation in the presence of PVA at high pH,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 177, no. 2, pp. 490–494, 1996.
- S. Santra, R. Tapec, N. Theodoropoulou, J. Dobson, A. Hebard, and W. Tan, “Synthesis and characterization of silica-coated iron oxide nanoparticles in microemulsion: the effect of nonionic surfactants,” Langmuir, vol. 17, no. 10, pp. 2900–2906, 2001.
- A. Ulman, “Formation and structure of self-assembled monolayers,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 96, no. 4, pp. 1533–1554, 1996.
- E. E. Carpenter, “Iron nanoparticles as potential magnetic carriers,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 225, no. 1-2, pp. 17–20, 2001.
- J. Lin, W. Zhou, A. Kumbhar et al., “Gold-coated iron (Fe@Au) nanoparticles: synthesis, characterization, and magnetic field-induced self-assembly,” Journal of Solid State Chemistry, vol. 159, no. 1, pp. 26–31, 2001.
- Z. Xu, Y. Hou, and S. Sun, “Magnetic core/shell Fe3O4/Au and Fe3O4/Au/Ag nanoparticles with tunable plasmonic properties,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 129, no. 28, pp. 8698–8699, 2007.
- G. K. Kouassi, “Magnetic and gold-coated magnetic iron oxide nanoparticles as detection tools: preparation, characterization, and biosensing applications,” Current Nanoscience, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 510–523, 2011.
- D. Wu, X.-D. Zhang, P.-X. Liu, L.-A. Zhang, F.-Y. Fan, and M.-L. Guo, “Gold nanostructure: fabrication, surface modification, targeting imaging, and enhanced radiotherapy,” Current Nanoscience, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 110–118, 2011.
- U. Tamer, Y. Gündoǧdu, I. H. Boyaci, and K. Pekmez, “Synthesis of magnetic core-shell Fe3O4-Au nanoparticle for biomolecule immobilization and detection,” Journal of Nanoparticle Research, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 1187–1196, 2010.
- H.-Y. Xie, R. Zhen, B. Wang, Y.-J. Feng, P. Chen, and J. Hao, “Fe3O4/au core/shell nanoparticles modified with Ni2+-nitrilotriacetic acid specific to histidine-tagged proteins,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 114, no. 11, pp. 4825–4830, 2010.
- Y.-R. Cui, C. Hong, Y.-L. Zhou, Y. Li, X.-M. Gao, and X.-X. Zhang, “Synthesis of orientedly bioconjugated core/shell Fe3O4@Au magnetic nanoparticles for cell separation,” Talanta, vol. 85, no. 3, pp. 1246–1252, 2011.
- W. Wu, Q. He, H. Chen, J. Tang, and L. Nie, “Sonochemical synthesis, structure and magnetic properties of air-stable Fe3O4/Au nanoparticles,” Nanotechnology, vol. 18, no. 14, Article ID 145609, 2007.
- A. Gole, C. Dash, V. Ramakrishnan et al., “Pepsin-gold colloid conjugates: preparation, characterization, and enzymatic activity,” Langmuir, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 1674–1679, 2001.
- A. Gole, C. Dash, C. Soman, S. R. Sainkar, M. Rao, and M. Sastry, “On the preparation, characterization, and enzymatic activity of fungal protease-gold colloid bioconjugates,” Bioconjugate Chemistry, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 684–690, 2001.
- M. L. Kakade, D. H. Swenson, and I. E. Liener, “Note on the determination of chymotrypsin and chymotrypsin inhibitor activity using casein,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 255–258, 1970.
- L.-L. Pang, J.-S. Li, J.-H. Jiang, Y. Le, G. L. Shen, and R.-Q. Yu, “A novel detection method for DNA point mutation using QCM based on Fe3O4/Au core/shell nanoparticle and DNA ligase reaction,” Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 127, no. 2, pp. 311–316, 2007.
- M. Mandal, S. Kundu, S. K. Ghosh et al., “Magnetite nanoparticles with tunable gold or silver shell,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 286, no. 1, pp. 187–194, 2005.
- J. Sun, S. Zhou, P. Hou et al., “Synthesis and characterization of biocompatible Fe3O4 nanoparticles,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 80, no. 2, pp. 333–341, 2007.
- M.-E. Aubin-Tam and K. Hamad-Schifferli, “Structure and function of nanoparticle-protein conjugates,” Biomedical Materials, vol. 3, no. 3, Article ID 034001, 2008.
- M. R. Eftink and C. A. Ghiron, “Fluorescence quenching studies with proteins,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 114, no. 2, pp. 199–227, 1981.
- D. Li, Q. He, Y. Cui, L. Duan, and J. Li, “Immobilization of glucose oxidase onto gold nanoparticles with enhanced thermostability,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 355, no. 2, pp. 488–493, 2007.
- M. Koneracká, P. Kopčanský, M. Antalík et al., “Immobilization of proteins and enzymes to fine magnetic particles,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 201, no. 1–3, pp. 427–430, 1999.
- A. Dyal, K. Loos, M. Noto et al., “Activity of Candida rugosa lipase immobilized on γ-Fe2O3 magnetic nanoparticles,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 125, no. 7, pp. 1684–1685, 2003.
- G. K. Kouassi, J. Irudayaraj, and G. McCarty, “Examination of cholesterol oxidase attachment to magnetic nanoparticles,” Journal of Nanobiotechnology, vol. 3, article 1, 2005.
- J. Hong, P. Gong, D. Xu, L. Dong, and S. Yao, “Stabilization of α-chymotrypsin by covalent immobilization on amine-functionalized superparamagnetic nanogel,” Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 128, no. 3, pp. 597–605, 2007.
- S. Laurent, C. Burtea, C. Thirifays, U. O. Häfeli, and M. Mahmoudi, “Crucial ignored parameters on nanotoxicology: the importance of toxicity assay modifications and ‘cell vision’,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, no. 1, Article ID e29997, 2012.
- A. Lesniak, F. Fenaroli, M. P. Monopoli, C. Åberg, K. A. Dawson, and A. Salvati, “Effects of the presence or absence of a protein corona on silica nanoparticle uptake and impact on cells,” ACS Nano, vol. 6, pp. 5845–5857, 2012.
- M. Mahmoudi, I. Lynch, M. R. Ejtehadi, M. P. Monopoli, F. B. Bombelli, and S. Laurent, “Protein-nanoparticle interactions: opportunities and challenges,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 111, no. 9, pp. 5610–5637, 2011.
- M. P. Monopoli, D. Walczyk, A. Campbell et al., “Physical-chemical aspects of protein corona: relevance to in vitro and in vivo biological impacts of nanoparticles,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 133, no. 8, pp. 2525–2534, 2011.
- D. Walczyk, F. B. Bombelli, M. P. Monopoli, I. Lynch, and K. A. Dawson, “What the cell “sees” in bionanoscience,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 132, no. 16, pp. 5761–5768, 2010.
- M. Mahmoudi, S. N. Saeedi-Eslami, M. A. Shokrgozar et al., “Cell, “vision”: complementary factor of protein corona in nanotoxicology,” Nanoscale, vol. 4, pp. 5461–5468, 2012.
- M. Mahmoudi, S. Laurent, M. A. Shokrgozar, and M. Hosseinkhani, “Toxicity evaluations of superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticles: cell “vision” versus physicochemical properties of nanoparticles,” ACS Nano, vol. 5, no. 9, pp. 7263–7276, 2011.
- M. P. Klein, M. R. Nunes, R. C. Rodrigues et al., “Effect of thesupport size on the properties of β-galactosidase immobilized on chitosan: advantages and disadvantages of macro and nanoparticles,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 13, pp. 2456–2464, 2012.
- M.-E. Aubin-Tam, W. Hwang, and K. Hamad-Schifferli, “Site-directed nanoparticle labeling of cytochrome c,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 106, no. 11, pp. 4095–4100, 2009.