- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanotechnology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 906592, 6 pages
Green Synthesis of Gold and Silver Nanoparticles Using Averrhoa bilimbi Fruit Extract
Department of Nanotechnology, Noorul Islam Centre for Higher Education (N.I. University), Kumaracoil, Tamil Nadu 629 180, India
Received 10 July 2013; Revised 15 August 2013; Accepted 31 August 2013
Academic Editor: Carlos R. Cabrera
Copyright © 2013 R. S. Rimal Isaac et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. K. Jain, X. Huang, I. H. El-Sayed, and M. A. El-Sayed, “Noble metals on the nanoscale: optical and photothermal properties and some applications in imaging, sensing, biology, and medicine,” Accounts of Chemical Research, vol. 41, no. 12, pp. 1578–1586, 2008.
- M. Hu, J. Chen, Z. Y. Li et al., “Gold nanostructures: engineering their plasmonic properties for biomedical applications,” Chemical Society Reviews, vol. 35, no. 11, pp. 1084–1094, 2006.
- S. S. R. Dasary, A. K. Singh, D. Senapati, H. Yu, and P. C. Ray, “Gold nanoparticle based label-free SERS probe for ultrasensitive and selective detection of trinitrotoluene,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 131, no. 38, pp. 13806–13812, 2009.
- A. Kumar, P. K. Vemula, P. M. Ajayan, and G. John, “Silver-nanoparticle-embedded antimicrobial paints based on vegetable oil,” Nature Materials, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 236–241, 2008.
- H. Wei, Z. Wang, L. Yang, S. Tian, C. Hou, and Y. Lu, “Lysozyme-stabilized gold fluorescent cluster: synthesis and application as Hg2+ sensor,” Analyst, vol. 135, no. 6, pp. 1406–1410, 2010.
- J. Chen, C. Glaus, R. Laforest et al., “Gold nanocages as photothermal transducers for cancer treatment,” Small, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 811–817, 2010.
- S. Neetu and C. Anand, “Swarna Bhasma and gold compounds: an innovation of pharmaceutics for illumination of therapeutics,” International Journal of Research in Ayurveda and Pharmacy, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 5–9, 2012.
- J. S. Kim, E. Kuk, K. N. Yu et al., “Antimicrobial effects of silver nanoparticles,” Nanomedicine, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 95–101, 2007.
- A. Nabikhan, K. Kandasamy, A. Raj, and N. M. Alikunhi, “Synthesis of antimicrobial silver nanoparticles by callus and leaf extracts from saltmarsh plant, Sesuvium portulacastrum L.,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 488–493, 2010.
- T. Ogi, N. Saitoh, T. Nomura, and Y. Konishi, “Room-temperature synthesis of gold nanoparticles and nanoplates using Shewanella algae cell extract,” Journal of Nanoparticle Research, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 2531–2539, 2010.
- K. Vahabi, G. A. Mansoori, and S. Karimi, “Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles by fungus trichoderma reesei,” Insciences Journal, vol. 1, pp. 65–79, 2011.
- M. Agnihotri, S. Joshi, A. R. Kumar, S. Zinjarde, and S. Kulkarni, “Biosynthesis of gold nanoparticles by the tropical marine yeast Yarrowia lipolytica NCIM 3589,” Materials Letters, vol. 63, no. 15, pp. 1231–1234, 2009.
- N. Pugazhenthiran, S. Anandan, G. Kathiravan, N. K. Udaya Prakash, S. Crawford, and M. Ashokkumar, “Microbial synthesis of silver nanoparticles by Bacillus sp.,” Journal of Nanoparticle Research, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 1811–1815, 2009.
- B. Ankamwar, C. Damle, A. Ahmad, and M. Sastry, “Biosynthesis of gold and silver nanoparticles using Emblica officinalis fruit extract, their phase transfer and transmetallation in an organic solution,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 5, no. 10, pp. 1665–1671, 2005.
- S. P. Dubey, M. Lahtinen, and M. Sillanpää, “Tansy fruit mediated greener synthesis of silver and gold nanoparticles,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 45, no. 7, pp. 1065–1071, 2010.
- B. K. H. Tan, C. H. Tan, and P. N. Pushparaj, “Anti-diabetic activity of the semi-purified fractions of Averrhoa bilimbi in high fat diet fed-streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats,” Life Sciences, vol. 76, no. 24, pp. 2827–2839, 2005.
- L. Mathew, S. T. George, A. K. Babylatha, and C. K. Geetha, “Flowering and fruit development in bilimbi (Averrhoa bilimbi) L.,” South Indian Horticulture, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 41–42, 1993.
- M. E. de Almeida and L. L. D. O.S. Santos, “Physiochemical characteristics of bilimbi (Averrhoa bilimbi) L.,” Revista Brasileira de Fruticultura, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 421–423, 2001.
- S. H. Goh, Malaysian Medicinal Plants for the Treatment of Cardiovascular Diseases, Pelanduk Publications, 1995.
- C. P. Khare, Indian Medicinal Plants an Illustrated Dictionary, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2007.
- F. Abas, N. H. Lajis, D. A. Israf, S. Khozirah, and Y. U. Kalsom, “Antioxidant and nitric oxide inhibition activities of selected Malay traditional vegetables,” Food Chemistry, vol. 95, no. 4, pp. 566–573, 2006.
- P. Rajasekharreddy, P. U. Rani, and B. Sreedhar, “Qualitative assessment of silver and gold nanoparticle synthesis in various plants: a photobiological approach,” Journal of Nanoparticle Research, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 1711–1721, 2010.
- B. Nikoobakht, J. Wang, and M. A. El-Sayed, “Surface-enhanced Raman scattering of molecules adsorbed on gold nanorods: off-surface plasmon resonance condition,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 366, no. 1-2, pp. 17–23, 2002.
- G. Mie, “Articles on the optical characteristics of turbid tubes, especially colloidal metal solutions,” Annalen der Physik, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 377–445, 1908.
- A. D. Dwivedi and K. Gopal, “Biosynthesis of silver and gold nanoparticles using Chenopodium album leaf extract,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 369, no. 1–3, pp. 27–33, 2010.
- M. I. Husseiny, M. A. El-Aziz, Y. Badr, and M. A. Mahmoud, “Biosynthesis of gold nanoparticles using Pseudomonas aeruginosa,” Spectrochimica Acta A, vol. 67, no. 3-4, pp. 1003–1006, 2007.
- R. Ayo, J. O. Amupitan, I. G. Ndukwe, and O. T. Audu, “Some chemical constituents of the leaves of Cassia nigricans Vahl,” African Journal of Pure and Applied Chemistry, vol. 3, no. 11, pp. 208–211, 2009.
- J. A. Selvi, S. Rajendran, and V. SRI, “Corrosion inhibition by beet root extract,” Portugaliae Electrochimica Acta, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 2009.
- S. W. Chang Chien, M. C. Wang, C. C. Huang, and K. Seshaiah, “Characterization of humic substances derived from swine manure-based compost and correlation of their characteristics with reactivities with heavy metals,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 55, no. 12, pp. 4820–4827, 2007.
- K. B. Narayanan and N. Sakthivel, “Phytosynthesis of gold nanoparticles using leaf extract of Coleus amboinicus Lour,” Materials Characterization, vol. 61, no. 11, pp. 1232–1238, 2010.