- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanotechnology
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 278418, 12 pages
Fabrication of Electrospun Polyamide-6/Chitosan Nanofibrous Membrane toward Anionic Dyes Removal
Textile Engineering Department, Amirkabir University of Technology, Tehran, Iran
Received 28 May 2013; Revised 8 November 2013; Accepted 22 November 2013; Published 16 February 2014
Academic Editor: Carlos R. Cabrera
Copyright © 2014 Mozhdeh Ghani et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Forgacs, T. Cserháti, and G. Oros, “Removal of synthetic dyes from wastewaters: a review,” Environment International, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 953–971, 2004.
- Y. Xu, R. E. Lebrun, P.-J. Gallo, and P. Blond, “Treatment of textile dye plant effluent by nanofiltration membrane,” Separation Science and Technology, vol. 34, no. 13, pp. 2501–2519, 1999.
- M. Amini, M. Arami, N. M. Mahmoodi, and A. Akbari, “Dye removal from colored textile wastewater using acrylic grafted nanomembrane,” Desalination, vol. 267, no. 1, pp. 107–113, 2011.
- C.-E. Nielson, “Recycling of wastewaters from textile dyeing using crossflow membrane filtration,” Filtration and Separation, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 593–595, 1994.
- G. Singh, D. Rana, T. Matsuura, S. Ramakrishna, R. M. Narbaitz, and S. Tabe, “Removal of disinfection byproducts from water by carbonized electrospun nanofibrous membranes,” Separation and Purification Technology, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 202–212, 2010.
- K. Yoon, B. S. Hsiao, and B. Chu, “Formation of functional polyethersulfone electrospun membrane for water purification by mixed solvent and oxidation processes,” Polymer, vol. 50, no. 13, pp. 2893–2899, 2009.
- A. M. Bazargan, M. Keyanpour-rad, F. A. Hesari, and M. E. Ganji, “A study on the microfiltration behavior of self-supporting electrospun nanofibrous membrane in water using an optical particle counter,” Desalination, vol. 265, no. 1–3, pp. 148–152, 2011.
- M. Teng, F. Li, B. Zhang, and A. A. Taha, “Electrospun cyclodextrin-functionalized mesoporous polyvinyl alcohol/SiO2 nanofiber membranes as a highly efficient adsorbent for indigo carmine dye,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 385, no. 1–3, pp. 229–234, 2011.
- M. Min, L. Shen, G. Hong et al., “Micro-nano structure poly (Ether Sulfones)/poly (Ethyleneimine) nanofibrous affinity membranes for adsorption of anionic dyes and heavy metal ions in aqueous solution,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 197, pp. 88–100, 2012.
- G. Crini and P.-M. Badot, “Application of chitosan, a natural aminopolysaccharide, for dye removal from aqueous solutions by adsorption processes using batch studies: a review of recent literature,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 399–447, 2008.
- H. Zhang, S. Li, C. J. Branford White, X. Ning, H. Nie, and L. Zhu, “Studies on electrospun nylon-6/chitosan complex nanofiber interactions,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 54, no. 24, pp. 5739–5745, 2009.
- K. Kurita, “Chitin and chitosan: functional biopolymers from marine crustaceans,” Marine Biotechnology, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 203–226, 2006.
- E. Guibal, “Interactions of metal ions with chitosan-based sorbents: a review,” Separation and Purification Technology, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 43–74, 2004.
- H. Honarkar and M. Barikani, “Applications of biopolymers I: chitosan,” Monatshefte fur Chemie, vol. 140, no. 12, pp. 1403–1420, 2009.
- R. Nirmala, R. Navamathavan, H.-S. Kang, M. H. El-Newehy, and H. Y. Kim, “Preparation of polyamide-6/chitosan composite nanofibers by a single solvent system via electrospinning for biomedical applications,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 173–178, 2011.
- R. Nirmala, R. Navamathavan, M. H. El-Newehy, and H. Y. Kim, “Preparation and electrical characterization of polyamide-6/chitosan composite nanofibers via electrospinning,” Materials Letters, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 493–496, 2011.
- H. Zhang, C. Wu, Y. Zhang et al., “Elaboration, characterization and study of a novel affinity membrane made from electrospun hybrid chitosan/nylon-6 nanofibers for papain purification,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 45, no. 9, pp. 2296–2304, 2010.
- J. S. Stephens, D. B. Chase, and J. F. Rabolt, “Effect of the electrospinning process on polymer crystallization chain conformation in nylon-6 and nylon-12,” Macromolecules, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 877–881, 2004.
- M. A. Bezerra, R. E. Santelli, E. P. Oliveira, L. S. Villar, and L. A. Escaleira, “Response surface methodology (RSM) as a tool for optimization in analytical chemistry,” Talanta, vol. 76, no. 5, pp. 965–977, 2008.
- A. R. Khataee, M. B. Kasiri, and L. Alidokht, “Application of response surface methodology in the optimization of photocatalytic removal of environmental pollutants using nanocatalysts,” Environmental Technology, vol. 32, no. 15, pp. 1669–1684, 2011.
- J. M. Deitzel, J. Kleinmeyer, D. Harris, and N. C. Beck Tan, “The effect of processing variables on the morphology of electrospun nanofibers and textiles,” Polymer, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 261–272, 2001.
- E. Campos, P. Coimbra, and M. H. Gil, “An improved method for preparing glutaraldehyde cross-linked chitosan-poly (Vinyl Alcohol) microparticles,” Polymer Bulletin, 2012.
- D. Rana and T. Matsuura, “Surface modifications for antifouling membranes,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 110, no. 4, pp. 2448–2471, 2010.
- S. Sharma, A. Malik, and S. Satya, “Application of response surface methodology (RSM) for optimization of nutrient supplementation for Cr (VI) removal by Aspergillus lentulus AML05,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 164, no. 2-3, pp. 1198–1204, 2009.
- G. Crini, “Recent developments in polysaccharide-based materials used as adsorbents in wastewater treatment,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 38–70, 2005.
- Y. Ku, P.-L. Lee, and W.-Y. Wang, “Removal of acidic dyestuffs in aqueous solution by nanofiltration,” Journal of Membrane Science, vol. 250, no. 1-2, pp. 159–165, 2005.
- C. Gerente, V. K. C. Lee, P. Le Cloirec, and G. McKay, “Application of chitosan for the removal of metals from wastewaters by adsorption—mechanisms and models review,” Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 41–127, 2007.
- H. Yoshida, A. Okamoto, and T. Kataoka, “Adsorption of acid dye on cross-linked chitosan fibers: equilibria,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 48, no. 12, pp. 2267–2272, 1993.
- M. N. V. Ravi Kumar, “A review of chitin and chitosan applications,” Reactive and Functional Polymers, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 1–27, 2000.
- R. D. Cho, Y.-Y. Park, and K.-Y. Kim, “Adsorption of toluidine blue O onto chitosan,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 447–451, 1995.
- D. Knorr, “Dye binding properties of chitin and chitosan,” Journal of Food Science, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 36–37, 1983.
- A. Patanaik, V. Jacobs, and R. D. Anandjiwala, “Performance evaluation of electrospun nanofibrous membrane,” Journal of Membrane Science, vol. 352, no. 1-2, pp. 136–142, 2010.
- K. Kim, C. Lee, I. W. Kim, and J. Kim, “Performance modification of a melt-blown filter medium via an additional nano-web layer prepared by electrospinning,” Fibers and Polymers, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 60–64, 2009.
- H. Klaus, Industrial Dyes, Wiley-Vch, 2007.
- F. Esther, T. Cserhati, and G. Oros, “Removal of synthetic dyes from wastewaters: a review,” Environment International, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 953–971, 2004.