- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanotechnology
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 349453, 11 pages
Peeling of Long, Straight Carbon Nanotubes from Surfaces
1School of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332-0400, USA
2Advanced Materials and Processing Branch, NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton, VA 23681-2199, USA
3George W. Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332-0405, USA
Received 15 July 2013; Accepted 20 December 2013; Published 23 February 2014
Academic Editor: Bobby G. Sumpter
Copyright © 2014 Kane M. Barker et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. DeBorde, J. C. Joiner, M. R. Leyden, and E. D. Minot, “Identifying individual single-walled and double-walled carbon nanotubes by atomic force microscopy,” Nano Letters, vol. 8, no. 11, pp. 3568–3571, 2008.
- M. R. Falvo, G. J. Clary, R. M. Taylor II et al., “Bending and buckling of carbon nanotubes under large strain,” Nature, vol. 389, no. 6651, pp. 582–584, 1997.
- M.-F. Yu, O. Lourie, M. J. Dyer, K. Moloni, T. F. Kelly, and R. S. Ruoff, “Strength and breaking mechanism of multiwalled carbon nanotubes under tensile load,” Science, vol. 287, no. 5453, pp. 637–640, 2000.
- R. M. Stevens, “New carbon nanotube AFM probe technology,” Materials Today, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 42–45, 2009.
- N. R. Wilson and J. V. MacPherson, “Carbon nanotube tips for atomic force microscopy,” Nature Nanotechnology, vol. 4, no. 8, pp. 483–491, 2009.
- C. P. Collier, “Carbon nanotube tips for scanning probe microscopy,” in Carbon Nanotubes: Properties and Applications, M. J. O’Connell, Ed., pp. 295–314, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2006.
- S. S. Wong, J. D. Harper, P. T. Lansbury Jr., and C. M. Lieber, “Carbon nanotube tips: high-resolution probes for imaging biological systems,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 120, no. 3, pp. 603–604, 1998.
- C. V. Nguyen, Q. Ye, and M. Meyyappan, “Carbon nanotube tips for scanning probe microscopy: fabrication and high aspect ratio nanometrology,” Measurement Science & Technology, vol. 16, no. 11, pp. 2138–2146, 2005.
- E. D. de Asis Jr., J. Leung, and C. V. Nguyen, “Carbon nanotube tips in atomic force microscopy with applications to imaging in liquid,” in Atomic Force Microscopy in Liquid: Biological Applications, pp. 35–64, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, Germany, 2012.
- I. R. Shapiro, S. D. Solares, M. J. Esplandiu, L. A. Wade, W. A. Goddard, and C. P. Collier, “Influence of elastic deformation on single-wall carbon nanotube atomic force microscopy probe resolution,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 108, no. 36, pp. 13613–13618, 2004.
- Q. M. Hudspeth, K. P. Nagle, Y.-P. Zhao et al., “How does a multiwalled carbon nanotube atomic force microscopy probe affect the determination of surface roughness statistics?” Surface Science, vol. 515, no. 2-3, pp. 453–461, 2002.
- S. I. Lee, S. W. Howell, A. Raman, R. Reifenberger, C. V. Nguyen, and M. Meyyappan, “Complex dynamics of carbon nanotube probe tips,” Ultramicroscopy, vol. 103, no. 2, pp. 95–102, 2005.
- M. C. Strus, A. Raman, C.-S. Han, and C. V. Nguyen, “Imaging artefacts in atomic force microscopy with carbon nanotube tips,” Nanotechnology, vol. 16, no. 11, pp. 2482–2492, 2005.
- L. A. Wade, I. R. Shapiro, Z. Ma, S. R. Quake, and C. P. Collier, “Correlating AFM probe morphology to image resolution for single-wall carbon nanotube tips,” Nano Letters, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 725–731, 2004.
- S.-I. Yang, “Structural study using ultrahigh resolution carbon nanotube AFM probe tips,” Journal of the Korean Chemical Society, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 517–520, 2005.
- L. Zhang, E. Ata, S. C. Minne, and P. Hough, “Single-walled carbon nanotube probes for AFM imaging,” in Proceedings of the 17th IEEE International Conference on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS '04), pp. 438–441, Maastricht, The Netherlands, January 2004.
- J. Buchoux, J.-P. Aimé, R. Boisgard, C. V. Nguyen, L. Buchaillot, and S. Marsaudon, “Investigation of the carbon nanotube AFM tip contacts: free sliding versus pinned contact,” Nanotechnology, vol. 20, no. 47, Article ID 475701, 2009.
- J. Buchoux, L. Bellon, S. Marsaudon, and J.-P. Aimé, “Carbon nanotubes adhesion and nanomechanical behavior from peeling force spectroscopy,” European Physical Journal B, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 69–77, 2011.
- D. Jarzabek, Z. Rymuza, and N. Ohmae, “Friction and adhesion of carbon nanotube brushes,” International Journal of Materials Research, vol. 100, no. 7, pp. 973–977, 2009.
- J. Lievonen and M. Ahlskog, “Lateral force microscopy of multiwalled carbon nanotubes,” Ultramicroscopy, vol. 109, no. 7, pp. 825–829, 2009.
- C. L. Cheung, J. H. Hafner, T. W. Odom, K. Kim, and C. M. Lieber, “Growth and fabrication with single-walled carbon nanotube probe microscopy tips,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 76, no. 21, pp. 3136–3138, 2000.
- A. Kutana, K. P. Giapis, J. Y. Chen, and C. P. Collier, “Amplitude response of single-wall carbon nanotube probes during tapping mode atomic force microscopy: modeling and experiment,” Nano Letters, vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 1669–1673, 2006.
- S. I. Lee, S. W. Howell, A. Raman, and R. Reifenberger, “Nonlinear dynamics of microcantilevers in tapping mode atomic force microscopy: a comparison between theory and experiment,” Physical Review B, vol. 66, no. 11, Article ID 115409, 10 pages, 2002.
- S. I. Lee, S. W. Howell, A. Raman, and R. Reifenberger, “Nonlinear dynamic perspectives on dynamic force microscopy,” Ultramicroscopy, vol. 97, no. 1–4, pp. 185–198, 2003.
- S. I. Lee, S. W. Howell, A. Raman, R. Reifenberger, C. V. Nguyen, and M. Meyyappan, “Nonlinear tapping dynamics of multi-walled carbon nanotube tipped atomic force microcantilevers,” Nanotechnology, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 416–421, 2004.
- A. N. Jiang, S. Gao, X. L. Wei, X. L. Liang, and Q. Chen, “Amplitude response of multiwalled carbon nanotube probe with controlled length during tapping mode atomic force microscopy,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 112, no. 40, pp. 15631–15636, 2008.
- B. Bhushan and X. Ling, “Adhesion and friction between individual carbon nanotubes measured using force-versus-distance curves in atomic force microscopy,” Physical Review B, vol. 78, no. 4, Article ID 045429, 9 pages, 2008.
- B. Bhushan, X. Ling, A. Jungen, and C. Hierold, “Adhesion and friction of a multiwalled carbon nanotube sliding against single-walled carbon nanotube,” Physical Review B, vol. 77, no. 16, Article ID 165428, 12 pages, 2008.
- S. D. Solares, M. J. Esplandiu, W. A. Goddard III, and C. P. Collier, “Mechanisms of single-walled carbon nanotube probe-sample multistability in tapping mode AFM imaging,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 109, no. 23, pp. 11493–11500, 2005.
- M. A. Poggi, J. S. Boyles, L. A. Bottomley et al., “Measuring the compression of a carbon nanospring,” Nano Letters, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 1009–1016, 2004.
- B. Bhushan and H. Liu, “Nanotribological properties and mechanisms of alkylthiol and biphenyl thiol self-assembled monolayers studied by AFM,” Physical Review B, vol. 63, no. 24, Article ID 245412, 11 pages, 2001.
- D. Chabrier, B. Bhushan, and S. Marsaudon, “Humidity effect on the interaction between carbon nanotubes and graphite,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 256, no. 14, pp. 4672–4676, 2010.
- M. A. Poggi, P. T. Lillehei, and L. A. Bottomley, “Chemical force microscopy on single-walled carbon nanotube paper,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 17, no. 17, pp. 4289–4295, 2005.
- G. Rius and M. Yoshimura, “Cooperative multiwalled carbon nanotubes for enhanced force spectroscopy,” e-Journal of Surface Science and Nanotechnology, vol. 10, pp. 341–345, 2012.
- M. Ishikawa, M. Yoshimura, and K. Ueda, “A study of friction by carbon nanotube tip,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 188, no. 3-4, pp. 456–459, 2002.
- K. M. Barker, A. Ferri, and L. A. Bottomley, “Adhesive and mechanical properties of carbon nanotube probes contacting chemically-treated turfaces,” in Proceedings of the ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition (IMECE '11), vol. 11 of ASME Conference Proceedings, pp. 739–746, Denver, Colorado, USA, November 2011.
- E. Yenilmez, Q. Wang, R. J. Chen, D. Wang, and H. Dai, “Wafer scale production of carbon nanotube scanning probe tips for atomic force microscopy,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 80, no. 12, pp. 2225–2227, 2002.
- H.-J. Butt and M. Jaschke, “Calculation of thermal noise in atomic force microscopy,” Nanotechnology, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 1995.
- K. M. Barker, Adhesion of nano-objects to chemically modified surfaces [Ph.D. dissertation], Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Ga, USA, 2009.
- R. W. Friddle, M. C. Lemieux, G. Cicero et al., “Single functional group interactions with individual carbon nanotubes,” Nature Nanotechnology, vol. 2, no. 11, pp. 692–697, 2007.
- R. S. Ruoff, D. Qian, and W. K. Liu, “Mechanical properties of carbon nanotubes: theoretical predictions and experimental measurements,” Comptes Rendus Physique, vol. 4, no. 9, pp. 993–1008, 2003.
- A. Sears and R. C. Batra, “Macroscopic properties of carbon nanotubes from molecular-mechanics simulations,” Physical Review B, vol. 69, no. 23, Article ID 235406, 10 pages, 2004.
- C. Q. Ru, “Effective bending stiffness of carbon nanotubes,” Physical Review B, vol. 62, no. 15, pp. 9973–9976, 2000.
- M. Ishikawa, R. Harada, N. Sasaki, and K. Miura, “Adhesion and peeling forces of carbon nanotubes on a substrate,” Physical Review B, vol. 80, no. 19, Article ID 193406, 4 pages, 2009.
- A. P. M. Barboza, H. Chacham, and B. R. A. Neves, “Universal response of single-wall carbon nanotubes to radial compression,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 102, no. 2, Article ID 025501, 4 pages, 2009.
- X. Chen, S. Zhang, D. A. Dikin et al., “Mechanics of a carbon nanocoil,” Nano Letters, vol. 3, no. 9, pp. 1299–1304, 2003.
- R. S. Ruoff and D. C. Lorents, “Mechanical and thermal properties of carbon nanotubes,” Carbon, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 925–930, 1995.
- C. M. Mate, “Nanotribology studies of carbon surfaces by force microscopy,” Wear, vol. 168, no. 1-2, pp. 17–20, 1993.
- M. A. Poggi, L. A. Bottomley, and P. T. Lillehei, “Measuring the adhesion forces between alkanethiol-modified AFM cantilevers and single walled carbon nanotubes,” Nano Letters, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 61–64, 2004.
- J. E. Koehne, R. M. Stevens, T. Zink et al., “Using carbon nanotube probes for high-resolution three-dimensional imaging of cells,” Ultramicroscopy, vol. 111, no. 8, pp. 1155–1162, 2011.
- M. Munz, J.-H. Kim, O. Krause, and D. Roy, “Imaging surfaces of nano-scale roughness by atomic force microscopy with carbon nanotubes as tips: a comparative study,” Surface and Interface Analysis, vol. 43, no. 11, pp. 1382–1391, 2011.