- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanotechnology
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 351693, 12 pages
Intestinal Lymphatic Delivery of Praziquantel by Solid Lipid Nanoparticles: Formulation Design, In Vitro and In Vivo Studies
Department of Pharmaceutics, Indian Institute of Technology, (Banaras Hindu University), Varanasi 221 005, India
Received 29 July 2013; Accepted 5 November 2013; Published 19 February 2014
Academic Editor: John A. Capobianco
Copyright © 2014 Amit Mishra et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- World Health Organization, First WHO Report on Neglected Tropical Diseases, 2012, http://www.who.int/neglected_diseases/diseases/en/.
- J. Sotelo, O. H. del Brutto, P. Penagos et al., “Comparison of therapeutic regimen of anticysticercal drugs for parenchymal brain cysticercosis,” Journal of Neurology, vol. 237, no. 2, pp. 69–72, 1990.
- M. A. Urrea-París, M. J. Moreno, F. Rodriguez-Caabeiro, and N. Casado, “Chemoprophylactic praziquantel treatment in experimental hydatidosis,” Parasitology Research, vol. 87, no. 6, pp. 510–512, 2001.
- World Health Organization, WHO Model List of Essential Medicines, 17th edition, 2012, http://www.who.int/medicines/publications/essentialmedicines/en/index.html.
- P. R. M. Bittencourt, C. M. Gracia, A. M. Gorz, and T. V. Oliveira, “High-dose praziquantel for neurocysticercosis: serum and CSF concentrations,” Acta Neurologica Scandinavica, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 28–33, 1990.
- C. R. Caffrey, “Chemotherapy of schistosomiasis: present and future,” Current Opinion in Chemical Biology, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 433–439, 2007.
- D. Cioli and L. Pica-Mattoccia, “Praziquantel,” Parasitology Research, vol. 90, supplement 1, pp. S3–S9, 2003.
- G. Leopold, W. Ungethuem, and E. Groll, “Clinical pharmacology in normal volunteers of praziquantel, a new drug against schistosomes and cestodes—an example of a complex study covering both tolerance and pharmacokinetics,” European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 281–291, 1978.
- H. Jung, R. Medina, N. Castro, T. Corona, and J. Sotelo, “Pharmacokinetic study of praziquantel administered alone and in combination with cimetidine in a single-day therapeutic regimen,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 1256–1259, 1997.
- N. Castro, R. Medina, J. Sotelo, and H. Jung, “Bioavailability of praziquantel increases with concomitant administration of food,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 44, no. 10, pp. 2903–2904, 2000.
- S. K. El-Arini and H. Leuenberger, “Dissolution properties of praziquantel-PVP systems,” Pharmaceutica Acta Helvetiae, vol. 73, no. 2, pp. 89–94, 1998.
- G. Becket, L. J. Schep, and M. Y. Tan, “Improvement of the in vitro dissolution of praziquantel by complexation with α-, β- and γ-cyclodextrins,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 179, no. 1, pp. 65–71, 1999.
- M. Akbarieh, J. G. Besner, A. Galal, and R. Tawashi, “Liposomal delivery system for the targeting and controlled release of praziquantel,” Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 303–317, 1992.
- S. C. Mourão, P. I. Costa, H. R. N. Salgado, and M. P. D. Gremião, “Improvement of antischistosomal activity of praziquantel by incorporation into phosphatidylcholine-containing liposomes,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 295, no. 1-2, pp. 157–162, 2005.
- M. J. Doenhoff and L. Pica-Mattoccia, “Praziquantel for the treatment of schistosomiasis: its use for control in areas with endemic disease and prospects for drug resistance,” Expert Review of Anti-Infective Therapy, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 199–210, 2006.
- L. Yang, Y. Geng, H. Li, Y. Zhang, J. You, and Y. Chang, “Enhancement the oral bioavailability of praziquantel by incorporation into solid lipid nanoparticles,” Die Pharmazie, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 86–89, 2009.
- S. Xie, B. Pan, M. Wang et al., “Formulation, characterization and pharmacokinetics of praziquantel-loaded hydrogenated castor oil solid lipid nanoparticles,” Nanomedicine, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 693–701, 2010.
- M. K. Rawat, A. Jain, and S. Singh, “In vivo and cytotoxicity evaluation of repaglinide-loaded binary solid lipid nanoparticles after oral administration to rats,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 100, no. 6, pp. 2406–2417, 2011.
- R. Paliwal, S. Rai, B. Vaidya et al., “Effect of lipid core material on characteristics of solid lipid nanoparticles designed for oral lymphatic delivery,” Nanomedicine, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 184–191, 2009.
- R. Holm and J. Hoest, “Successful in silico predicting of intestinal lymphatic transfer,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 272, no. 1-2, pp. 189–193, 2004.
- S. S. Chalikwar, V. S. Belgamwar, V. R. Talele, S. J. Surana, and M. U. Patil, “Formulation and evaluation of Nimodipine-loaded solid lipid nanoparticles delivered via lymphatic transport system,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 97, pp. 109–116, 2012.
- C. J. H. Porter and W. N. Charman, “Intestinal lymphatic drug transport: an update,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 50, no. 1-2, pp. 61–80, 2001.
- C. J. H. Porter, N. L. Trevaskis, and W. N. Charman, “Lipids and lipid-based formulations: optimizing the oral delivery of lipophilic drugs,” Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 231–248, 2007.
- A. Bargoni, R. Cavalli, O. Caputo, A. Fundarò, M. R. Gasco, and G. P. Zara, “Solid lipid nanoparticles in lymph and plasma after duodenal administration to rats,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 745–750, 1998.
- R. H. Muller and C. M. Keck, “Challenges and solutions for the delivery of biotech drugs—a review of drug nanocrystal technology and lipid nanoparticles,” Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 113, no. 1–3, pp. 151–170, 2004.
- R. H. Müller, R. Shegokar, and C. M. Keck, “20 years of lipid nanoparticles (SLN & NLC): present state of development & industrial applications,” Current Drug Discovery Technologies, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 207–227, 2011.
- M. R. A. Alex, A. J. Chacko, S. Jose, and E. B. Souto, “Lopinavir loaded solid lipid nanoparticles (SLN) for intestinal lymphatic targeting,” European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 42, no. 1-2, pp. 11–18, 2011.
- V. Venkateswarlu and K. Manjunath, “Preparation, characterization and in vitro release kinetics of clozapine solid lipid nanoparticles,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 95, no. 3, pp. 627–638, 2004.
- W. Hanpitakpong, V. Banmairuroi, B. Kamanikom, A. Choemung, and K. Na-Bangchang, “A high-performance liquid chromatographic method for determination of praziquantel in plasma,” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 871–876, 2004.
- E. H. Gokce, G. Sandri, M. C. Bonferoni et al., “Cyclosporine A loaded SLN: evaluation of cellular uptake and corneal cytotoxicity,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 364, no. 1, pp. 76–86, 2008.
- S. Das, W. K. Ng, P. Kanaujia, S. Kim, and R. B. H. Tan, “Formulation design, preparation and physicochemical characterizations of solid lipid nanoparticles containing a hydrophobic drug: effects of process variables,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 483–489, 2011.
- M. K. Rawat, A. Jain, A. Mishra, M. S. Muthu, and S. Singh, “Development of repaglinide loaded solid lipid nanocarrier: selection of fabrication method,” Current Drug Delivery, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 44–50, 2010.
- A. Dahan and A. Hoffman, “Evaluation of a chylomicron flow blocking approach to investigate the intestinal lymphatic transport of lipophilic drugs,” European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 381–388, 2005.
- F. Gao, Z. Zhang, H. Bu et al., “Nanoemulsion improves the oral absorption of candesartan cilexetil in rats: performance and mechanism,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 149, no. 2, pp. 168–174, 2011.
- Z. Zhang, F. Gao, H. Bu, J. Xiao, and Y. Li, “Solid lipid nanoparticles loading candesartan cilexetil enhance oral bioavailability: in vitro characteristics and absorption mechanism in rats,” Nanomedicine, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 740–747, 2012.
- S. Chakraborty, D. Shukla, B. Mishra, and S. Singh, “Lipid—an emerging platform for oral delivery of drugs with poor bioavailability,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 1–15, 2009.
- W. Mehnert and K. Mäder, “Solid lipid nanoparticles: production, characterization and applications,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 47, no. 2-3, pp. 165–196, 2001.
- H. Bunjes, M. H. J. Koch, and K. Westesen, “Influence of emulsifiers on the crystallization of solid lipid nanoparticles,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 92, no. 7, pp. 1509–1520, 2003.
- F. D. Rumjanek and A. J. G. Simpson, “The incorporation and utilization of radiolabelled lipids by adult Schistosoma mansoni in vitro,” Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 31–44, 1980.
- E. K. Noriega-Peláez, N. Mendoza-Muñoz, A. Ganem-Quintanar, and D. Quintanar-Guerrero, “Optimization of the emulsification and solvent displacement method for the preparation of solid lipid nanoparticles,” Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 160–166, 2011.
- H. Heiati, R. Tawashi, R. R. Shivers, and N. C. Phillips, “Solid lipid nanoparticles as drug carriers I. Incorporation and retention of the lipophilic prodrug 3′-azido-3′-deoxythymidine palmitate,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 146, no. 1, pp. 123–131, 1997.
- M. A. Schubert, B. C. Schicke, and C. C. Müller-Goymann, “Thermal analysis of the crystallization and melting behavior of lipid matrices and lipid nanoparticles containing high amounts of lecithin,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 298, no. 1, pp. 242–254, 2005.
- D. Hou, C. Xie, K. Huang, and C. Zhu, “The production and characteristics of solid lipid nanoparticles (SLN),” Biomaterials, vol. 24, no. 10, pp. 1781–1785, 2003.
- Y. Liu, X. Wang, J. K. Wang, and C. B. Ching, “Structural characterization and enantioseparation of the chiral compound praziquantel,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 93, no. 12, pp. 3039–3046, 2004.
- P. Chattopadhyay, B. Y. Shekunov, D. Yim, D. Cipolla, B. Boyd, and S. Farr, “Production of solid lipid nanoparticle suspensions using supercritical fluid extraction of emulsions (SFEE) for pulmonary delivery using the AERx system,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 444–453, 2007.
- L. Pica-Mattoccia and D. Cioli, “Sex- and stage-related sensitivity of Schistosoma mansoni to in vivo and in vitro praziquantel treatment,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 527–533, 2004.