- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanotechnology
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 390834, 15 pages
Study of the Thermal Decomposition of PFPEs Lubricants on a Thin DLC Film Using Finitely Extensible Nonlinear Elastic Potential Based Molecular Dynamics Simulation
1Division of Mechanical and Automotive Engineering, Kongju National University, Republic of Korea
2School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore 639798
3Department of Mechanical Science and Bioengineering, Graduate School of Engineering Science, Osaka University, Toyonaka, Osaka 560-8531, Japan
Received 30 December 2013; Revised 20 April 2014; Accepted 14 May 2014; Published 6 July 2014
Academic Editor: S. N. Piramanayagam
Copyright © 2014 S. K. Deb Nath and C. H. Wong. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. D. Stevens, “The evolution of magnetic storage,” IBM Journal of Research and Development, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 663–675, 1981.
- J. M. Harker, D. W. Brede, R. E. Pattison, G. R. Santana, and L. G. Taft, “A quarter century of disk file innovation,” IBM Journal of Research and Development, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 677–689, 1981.
- S. X. Wang and A. M. Taratorin, Magnetic Information Storage Technology, Academic Press, London, UK, 1999.
- A. Moser, K. Takano, D. T. Margulies et al., “Magnetic recording: advancing into the future,” Journal of Physics D, vol. 35, no. 19, pp. R157–R167, 2002.
- Z. Zhang, Y. C. Feng, T. Clinton et al., “Magnetic recording demonstration over 100 Gb/in2,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 1861–1866, 2002.
- M. S. Jhon and H. J. Choi, “Lubricants in future data storage technology,” Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 263–275, 2001.
- B. Bhushan, “Magnetic media tribology: state of the art and future challenges,” Wear, vol. 136, no. 1, pp. 169–197, 1990.
- M. S. Jhon, D. M. Phillips, S. J. Vinay, and C. T. Messe, “The dynamic behavior of thin-film lubricants,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 2334–2337, 1999.
- X. Ma, J. Gui, B. Marchon, M. S. Jhon, and C. L. Bauer, “Lubricant replenishment on carbon coated disks,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Magnetics Conference, 1999, Digests of INTERMAG 99 EP-21.
- R. Kono, S. Izumisawa, M. S. Jhon, C. A. Kim, and H. J. Choi, “Rheology of perfluoropolyether lubricants,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 1827–1829, 2001.
- S. K. Deb Nath, C. H. Wong, V. Sorkin, Z. D. Sha, Y. W. Zhang, and S.-G. Kim, “Study of the spreading of perfluoropolyether lubricants on a diamond-like carbon film,” Tribology Transactions, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 255–267, 2013.
- C.-Y. Chen, D. B. Bogy, and C. S. Bhatia, “Effects of backbone and endgroup on the decomposition mechanisms of PFPE lubricants and their tribological performance at the head-disk interface,” Journal of Tribology, vol. 123, no. 2, pp. 364–367, 2001.
- C.-Y. Chen, C. S. Bhatia, J. Wei, W. Fong, and D. B. Bogy, “The decomposition mechanisms and thermal stability of ZDOL lubricant on hydrogenated carbon overcoats,” Journal of Tribology, vol. 122, no. 2, pp. 458–464, 2000.
- J. Wei, W. Fong, D. B. Bogy, and C. S. Bhatia, “The decomposition mechanisms of a perfluoropolyether at the head/disk interface of hard disk drives,” Tribology Letters, vol. 5, no. 2-3, pp. 203–209, 1998.
- T. E. Karis, V. J. Novotny, and R. D. Johnson, “Mechanical scission of perfluoropolyethers,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 50, no. 8, pp. 1357–1368, 1993.
- V. J. Novotny, X. Pan, and C. S. Bhatia, “Tribochemistry at lubricated interfaces,” Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology A, vol. 12, no. 5, article 2879, 1994.
- R. Koka and F. Armatis, “Degradation of thin-film disk PFPE lubricants by ceramic powders,” Tribology Transactions, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 63–68, 1997.
- R. Koka, A. Holtz, and F. Armatis, “Tribology of different ceramic sliders on lubricated thin-film disks,” Tribology Transactions, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 156–162, 1997.
- J. Pacansky and R. J. Waltman, “Electron beam irradiation of polyperfluoroethers: experimental analysis of main-chain degradation,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 486–494, 1993.
- G. Vurens, R. Zehringer, and D. Saperstein, in Surface Science Investigations in Tribology, Experimental Approaches, vol. 485 of ACS Symposium Series, p. 169, 1992.
- K. J. L. Paciorek and R. H. Kratzer, “Stability of perfluoroalkylethers,” Journal of Fluorine Chemistry, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 169–175, 1994.
- P. J. John and J. Liang, “Initial metal fluoride formation at metal/fluorocarbon interfaces,” Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology A, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 199–203, 1994.
- P. H. Kasai, “Degradation of Perfluoropolyethers catalyzed by Lewis acids,” Advances in Information Storage Systems, vol. 4, pp. 291–314, 1992.
- M. J. Zehe and O. D. Faut, “Acidic attack of perfluorinated alkyl ether lubricant molecules by metal oxide surfaces,” Tribology Transactions, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 634–640, 1990.
- W. Morales, “The decomposition of a commercial perfluoropolyalkylether on alpha and gamma catalytic aluminus,” Tribology Transactions, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 148–156, 1996.
- L. M. Ng, E. Lyth, M. V. Zeller, and D. L. Boyd, “Surface chemistry of Perfluoro Ethers: an infrared study of the thermal decomposition of (C2F5)2O on Al2O3,” Langmuir, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 127–135, 1995.
- S. Suzuki and F. E. Kennedy Jr., “Measurement of flash temperature and contact between slider and magnetic recording disk,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 3728–3730, 1989.
- B. D. Storm, University of California, Berkeley, Calif, USA, 1993.
- S. Mori and W. Morales, “Decomposition of perfluoroalkypolyethers (PFPE) in ultra-high vacuum under sliding conditions,” Tribology Transactions, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 325–332, 1990.
- B. Bhushan and Y. Cheng, “Wear and degradation mechanisms of magnetic thin-film rigid disks with different lubricants using mass spectrometry,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 81, no. 8, pp. 5390–5392, 1997.
- X. Zhao, B. Bhushan, and C. Kajdas, “Lubrication studies of head-disk interfaces in a controlled environment. Part 2: degradation mechanisms of Perfluoropolyether lubricants,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers J: Journal of Engineering Tribology, vol. 214, no. 6, pp. 547–559, 2000.
- J. Liu, M. J. Stirniman, and J. Gui, “Catalytic decomposition of perfluoropolyether lubricants,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 749–753, 2003.
- S. Mori and W. Morales, “Tribological reactions of perfluoroalkyl polyether oils with stainless steel under ultrahigh vacuum conditions at room temperature,” Wear, vol. 132, no. 1, pp. 111–121, 1989.
- P. H. Kasai and P. Wheeler, “Degradation of perfluoropolyethers catalyzed by aluminum chloride,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 52, no. 1-2, pp. 91–106, 1991.
- P. H. Kasai, “Perfluoropolyethers: intramolecular disproportionation,” Macromolecules, vol. 25, no. 25, pp. 6791–6799, 1992.
- B. D. Strom, D. B. Bogy, R. G. Walmsley, J. Brandt, and C. S. Bhatia, “Gaseous wear products from perfluoropolyether lubricant films,” Wear, vol. 168, no. 1-2, pp. 31–36, 1993.
- V. J. Novotny, X. Pan, and C. S. Bhatia, “Tribochemistry at lubricated interfaces,” Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology A, vol. 12, article 2879, 1994.
- G. H. Vurens, C. S. Gudeman, L. J. Lin, and J. S. Foster, “Mechanism of ultraviolet and electron bonding of perfluoropolyethers,” Langmuir, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 1165–1169, 1992.
- Z. Zhao and B. Bhushan, “Humidity effect on friction/stiction and durability of head-disk interface with polar perfluoropolyether lubricant,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 81, no. 8, pp. 5387–5389, 1997.
- H. Liu and B. Bhushan, “Nanotribological characterization of molecularly thick lubricant films for applications to MEMS/NEMS by AFM,” Ultramicroscopy, vol. 97, no. 1–4, pp. 321–340, 2003.
- B. Bhushan and H. Liu, Handbook of Nanotechnology, Springer, Heidelberg, Germany, 2004.
- V. N. Koinkar and B. Bhushan, “Microtribological studies of unlubricated and lubricated surfaces using atomic force/friction force microscopy,” Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology A: Vacuum, Surfaces and Films, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 2378–2391, 1996.
- V. N. Koinkar and B. Bhushan, “Micro/nanoscale studies of boundary layers of liquid lubricants for magnetic disks,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 79, no. 10, pp. 8071–8075, 1996.
- X. Zhao and B. Bhushan, “Comparison studies on degradation mechanisms of perfluoropolyether lubricants and model lubricants,” Tribology Letters, vol. 9, no. 3-4, pp. 187–197, 2001.
- X. Zhao and B. Bhushan, “Studies on degradation mechanisms of lubricants for magnetic thin-film rigid disks,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers J: Journal of Engineering Tribology, vol. 215, no. 2, pp. 173–188, 2001.
- B. Jiang, M. E. Selvan, D. J. Keffer, and B. J. Edwards, “A reactive molecular dynamics study of the thermal decomposition of perfluorodimethyl ether,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 113, no. 42, pp. 13670–13677, 2009.
- D. Pan, A. Ovcharenko, J. P. Peng, and H. Jiang, “Effect of lubricant fragments on lubricant transfer: a molecular dynamics simulation,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, 2014.
- K. Chenoweth, S. Cheung, A. C. T. van Duin, W. A. Goddard III, and E. M. Kober, “Simulations on the thermal decomposition of a poly(dimethylsiloxane) polymer using the ReaxFF reactive force field,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 127, no. 19, pp. 7192–7202, 2005.
- Q. Guo, S. Izumisawa, D. M. Phillips, and M. S. Jhon, “Surface morphology and molecular conformation for ultrathin lubricant films with functional end groups,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 93, no. 10, pp. 8707–8709, 2003.
- Q. Guo, S. Izumisawa, M. S. Jhon, and Y. Hsia, “Transport properties of nanoscale lubricant films,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 3177–3179, 2004.
- Y.-T. Hsia, Q. Guo, S. Izumisawa, and M. S. Jhon, “The dynamic behavior of ultrathin lubricant films,” Microsystem Technologies, vol. 11, no. 8–10, pp. 881–886, 2005.
- P. S. Chung, H. Park, and M. S. Jhon, “The static and dynamic responses of binary mixture perfluoropolyether lubricant films- molecular structural effects,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 45, no. 10, pp. 3644–3647, 2009.
- P. H. Kasai, A. Wass, and B. K. Yen, “Carbon overcoat: structure and bonding of Z-DOL,” Journal of Information Storage and Processing Systems, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 245–258, 1999.
- P. H. Kasai and A. M. Spool, “Z-DOL and carbon overcoat: bonding mechanism,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 929–933, 2001.
- H. Tani, T. Shimizu, N. Kobayashi, Y. Taniike, K. Mori, and N. Tagawa, “Study of molecular conformation of PFPE lubricants with multidentate functional groups on magnetic disk surface by experiments and molecular dynamics simulations,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 1420–1423, 2010.
- X. Li, Y. Hu, L. Jiang, and J. Zhang, “Spreading of droplets on lubricant-patterned substrates,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 128, no. 19, Article ID 194904, 2008.
- S. Ogata, H. Zhang, K. Fukuzawa, and Y. Mitsuya, “Quantification of the surface morphology of lubricant films with polar end groups using molecular dynamics simulation: periodic changes in morphology depending on film thickness,” Journal of Tribology, vol. 130, no. 2, Article ID 022301, 9 pages, 2008.