- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanotechnology
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 616240, 12 pages
Empirical Correlation of the Morphology of Coiled Carbon Nanotubes with Their Response to Axial Compression
1Georgia Institute of Technology, School of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Atlanta, GA 30332-0400, USA
2Georgia Institute of Technology, The George W. Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering, Atlanta, GA 30332-0405, USA
Received 23 July 2013; Accepted 23 October 2013; Published 2 February 2014
Academic Editor: Paresh Chandra Ray
Copyright © 2014 Jabulani R. Barber et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. A. Lucas, P. Lambin, V. Ivanov, and J. B. Nagy, “Coiled carbon nanotubes,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Winterschool on Electronic Properties of Novel Materials, Progress in Fullerene Research, pp. 122–125, 1994.
- X. B. Zhang, X. F. Zhang, D. Bernaerts et al., “The texture of catalytically grown coil-shaped carbon nanotubules,” Europhysics Letters, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 141–146, 1994.
- V. Celorrio, L. Calvillo, M. V. Martínez-Huerta, R. Moliner, and M. J. Lázaro, “Study of the synthesis conditions of carbon nanocoils for energetic applications,” Energy and Fuels, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 3361–3365, 2010.
- D. Fejes and K. Hernadi, “A review of the properties and CVD synthesis of coiled carbon nanotubes,” Materials, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 2618–2642, 2010.
- M. J. Hanus and A. T. Harris, “Synthesis, characterisation and applications of coiled carbon nanotubes,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 2261–2283, 2010.
- A. Csató, A. Szabó, A. Fonseca et al., “Synthesis and characterisation of coiled carbon nanotubes,” Catalysis Today, vol. 181, no. 1, pp. 33–39, 2012.
- D. Li, L. Pan, Y. Wu, and W. Peng, “The effect of changes in synthesis temperature and acetylene supply on the morphology of carbon nanocoils,” Carbon, vol. 50, no. 7, pp. 2571–2580, 2012.
- T. Hayashida, L. Pan, and Y. Nakayama, “Mechanical and electrical properties of carbon tubule nanocoils,” Physica B, vol. 323, no. 1–4, pp. 352–353, 2002.
- A. F. Da Fonseca and D. S. Galvão, “Mechanical properties of nanosprings,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 92, no. 17, Article ID 175502, 4 pages, 2004.
- W. M. Huang, “Mechanics of coiled nanotubes in uniaxial tension,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 408, no. 1-2, pp. 136–140, 2005.
- K.-I. Nakamatsu, M. Nagase, H. Namatsu, and S. Matsui, “Mechanical characteristics of diamond-like-carbon nanosprings fabricated by focused-ion-beam chemical vapor deposition,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, Part 2, vol. 44, no. 37–41, pp. L1228–L1230, 2005.
- H. Bi, K. C. Kou, K. Ostrikov, J. Q. Zhang, and Z. C. Wang, “Mechanical model and superelastic properties of carbon microcoils with circular cross-section,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 106, no. 2, Article ID 023520, 2009.
- K. T. Lau, M. Lu, H. L. Li, L. M. Zhou, and D. Hui, “Heat absorbability of single-walled, coiled and bamboo nanotube/epoxy nano-composites,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 39, no. 18, pp. 5861–5863, 2004.
- S. Motojima, T. Muraki, T. Suzuki et al., “Preparation of ceramics/carbon microcoils composites using carbon microcoils as a template,” Transactions of the Materials Research Society Of Japan, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 465–468, 2004.
- A. Volodin, D. Buntinx, M. Ahlskog, A. Fonseca, J. B. Nagy, and C. van Haesendonck, “Coiled carbon nanotubes as self-sensing mechanical resonators,” Nano Letters, vol. 4, no. 9, pp. 1775–1779, 2004.
- M. Lu, K.-T. Lau, J.-C. Xu, and H.-L. Li, “Coiled carbon nanotubes growth and DSC study in epoxy-based composites,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 257-258, pp. 339–343, 2005.
- K.-T. Lau, C. Gu, and D. Hui, “A critical review on nanotube and nanotube/nanoclay related polymer composite materials,” Composites B, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 425–436, 2006.
- K. T. Lau, M. Lu, and D. Hui, “Coiled carbon nanotubes: synthesis and their potential applications in advanced composite structures,” Composites B, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 437–448, 2006.
- X.-F. Li, K.-T. Lau, and Y.-S. Yin, “Nano-mechanical properties of coiled carbon nanotube reinforced epoxy composites,” Key Engineering Materials, vol. 334-335, pp. 673–676, 2007.
- A. Leela Mohana Reddy, R. I. Jafri, N. Jha, S. Ramaprabhu, and P. M. Ajayan, “Carbon nanocoils for multi-functional energy applications,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 21, no. 40, pp. 16103–16107, 2011.
- R. B. Rakhi, W. Chen, and H. N. Alshareef, “Conducting polymer/carbon nanocoil composite electrodes for efficient supercapacitors,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 22, no. 11, pp. 5177–5183, 2012.
- M. A. Poggi, J. S. Boyles, L. A. Bottomley et al., “Measuring the compression of a carbon nanospring,” Nano Letters, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 1009–1016, 2004.
- K. M. Barker, A. Ferri, and L. A. Bottomley, “Adhesive and mechanical properties of carbon nanotube probes contacting chemically-treated surfaces,” ASME Conference Proceedings, vol. 2011, pp. 739–746, 2011.
- K. M. Barker, M. A. Poggi, L. Lizarraga, P. T. Lillehei, A. A. Ferri, and L. A. Bottomley, “Peeling of long, straight carbon nanotubes from surfaces,” Journal of Nanotechnology. In press.
- B. Bhushan and X. Ling, “Adhesion and friction between individual carbon nanotubes measured using force-versus-distance curves in atomic force microscopy,” Physical Review B, vol. 78, no. 4, Article ID 045429, 9 pages, 2008.
- B. Bhushan, X. Ling, A. Jungen, and C. Hierold, “Adhesion and friction of a multiwalled carbon nanotube sliding against single-walled carbon nanotube,” Physical Review B, vol. 77, no. 16, Article ID 165428, 12 pages, 2008.
- J. Buchoux, J.-P. Aimé, R. Boisgard, C. V. Nguyen, L. Buchaillot, and S. Marsaudon, “Investigation of the carbon nanotube AFM tip contacts: free sliding versus pinned contact,” Nanotechnology, vol. 20, no. 47, Article ID 475701, 2009.
- J. Buchoux, L. Bellon, S. Marsaudon, and J.-P. Aimé, “Carbon nanotubes adhesion and nanomechanical behavior from peeling force spectroscopy,” European Physical Journal B, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 69–77, 2011.
- X. Chen, S. Zhang, D. A. Dikin et al., “Mechanics of a carbon nanocoil,” Nano Letters, vol. 3, no. 9, pp. 1299–1304, 2003.
- M. R. Falvo, G. J. Clary, R. M. Taylor II et al., “Bending and buckling of carbon nanotubes under large strain,” Nature, vol. 389, no. 6651, pp. 582–584, 1997.
- M. Ishikawa, M. Yoshimura, and K. Ueda, “A study of friction by carbon nanotube tip,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 188, no. 3-4, pp. 456–459, 2002.
- T. Yonemura, Y. Suda, H. Tanoue et al., “Torsion fracture of carbon nanocoils,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 112, no. 8, Article ID 084311, 4 pages, 2012.
- R. M. D. Stevens, N. A. Frederick, B. L. Smith, D. E. Morse, G. D. Stucky, and P. K. Hansma, “Carbon nanotubes as probes for atomic force microscopy,” Nanotechnology, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 1–5, 2000.
- M. Hegner, P. Wagner, and G. Semenza, “Ultralarge atomically flat template-stripped Au surfaces for scanning probe microscopy,” Surface Science, vol. 291, no. 1-2, pp. 39–46, 1993.
- M. J. D'Amato, M. S. Marcus, M. A. Eriksson, and R. W. Carpick, “Phase imaging and the lever-sample tilt angle in dynamic atomic force microscopy,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 85, no. 20, pp. 4738–4740, 2004.
- J. L. Hutter and J. Bechhoefer, “Calibration of atomic-force microscope tips,” Review of Scientific Instruments, vol. 64, no. 7, pp. 1868–1873, 1993.
- M. A. Poggi, L. A. Bottomley, and P. T. Lillehei, “Measuring the adhesion forces between alkanethiol-modified AFM cantilevers and single walled carbon nanotubes,” Nano Letters, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 61–64, 2004.
- M. A. Poggi, P. T. Lillehei, and L. A. Bottomley, “Chemical force microscopy on single-walled carbon nanotube paper,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 17, no. 17, pp. 4289–4295, 2005.
- C.-L. Zhang and H.-S. Shen, “Buckling and postbuckling analysis of single-walled carbon nanotubes in thermal environments via molecular dynamics simulation,” Carbon, vol. 44, no. 13, pp. 2608–2616, 2006.
- G. A. Tomlinson, “A molecular theory of friction,” Philosophical Magazine, vol. 7, no. 46, pp. 905–939, 1929.
- A. M. Wahl, Mechanical Springs, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1963.
- S. H. Ghaderi and E. Hajiesmaili, “Molecular structural mechanics applied to coiled carbon nanotubes,” Computational Materials Science, vol. 55, pp. 344–349, 2012.
- A. Volodin, M. Ahlskog, E. Seynaeve, C. van Haesendonck, A. Fonseca, and J. B. Nagy, “Imaging the elastic properties of coiled carbon nanotubes with atomic force microscopy,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 84, no. 15, pp. 3342–3345, 2000.
- J. Wang, T. Kemper, T. Liang, and S. B. Sinnott, “Predicted mechanical properties of a coiled carbon nanotube,” Carbon, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 968–976, 2012.