- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanotechnology
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 631248, 7 pages
Evaluation of Cytotoxic Effects of Different Concentrations of Porous Hollow Au Nanoparticles (PHAuNPs) on Cells
1Department of Electrical Engineering, UT Arlington, 416 Yates Street, P.O. Box 19016, Arlington, TX 76019, USA
2Department of Materials Science and Engineering, UT Arlington, 501 West 1st Street, P.O. Box 19031, Arlington, TX 76019, USA
3Texas Academy of Math and Science, Denton, TX 76203, USA
4Lamar High School, Arlington, TX 76012, USA
5Arlington High School, Arlington, TX 76013, USA
Received 31 July 2013; Accepted 27 October 2013; Published 19 January 2014
Academic Editor: Paresh Chandra Ray
Copyright © 2014 Smitha Rao et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Z. Fang, C. Lin, R. Ma, S. Huang, and X. Zhu, “Planar plasmonic focusing and optical transport using CdS nanoribbon,” ACS Nano, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 75–82, 2010.
- Z. Fang, J. Cai, Z. Yan, P. Nordlander, N. J. Halas, and X. Zhu, “Removing a wedge from a metallic nanodisk reveals a fano resonance,” Nano Letters, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 4475–4479, 2011.
- Z. Fang, Q. Peng, W. Song et al., “Plasmonic focusing in symmetry broken nanocorrals,” Nano Letters, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 893–897, 2011.
- Z. Fang, Y. -R. Zhen, L. Fan, X. Zhu, and P. Nordlander, “Tunable wide-angle plasmonic perfect absorber at visible frequencies,” Physical Review B, vol. 85, Article ID 245401, 2012.
- G. Han, P. Ghosh, and V. M. Rotello, “Multifunctional gold nanoparticles for drug delivery,” in Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, vol. 620, pp. 48–56, 2007.
- K. K. Jain, “Applications of nanobiotechnology in clinical diagnostic,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 53, no. 11, pp. 2002–2009, 2007.
- S. Gelperina, K. Kisich, M. D. Iseman, and L. Heifets, “The potential advantages of nanoparticle drug delivery systems in chemotherapy of tuberculosis,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 172, no. 12, pp. 1487–1490, 2005.
- O. C. Farokhzad, J. Cheng, B. A. Teply et al., “Targeted nanoparticle-aptamer bioconjugates for cancer chemotherapy in vivo,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 103, no. 16, pp. 6315–6320, 2006.
- S. Dhar, N. Kolishetti, S. J. Lippard, and O. C. Farokhzad, “Targeted delivery of a cisplatin prodrug for safer and more effective prostate cancer therapy in vivo,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 108, no. 5, pp. 1850–1855, 2011.
- G. F. Paciotti, L. Myer, D. Weinreich et al., “Colloidal gold: a novel nanoparticle vector for tumor directed drug delivery,” Drug Delivery, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 169–183, 2004.
- G. F. Paciotti, D. G. I. Kingston, and L. Tamarkin, “Colloidal gold nanoparticles: a novel nanoparticle platform for developing multifunctional tumor-targeted drug delivery vectors,” Drug Development Research, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 47–54, 2006.
- M. Modo, J. W. M. Bulte, M. Mathias, and J. J. Modo, Nanoparticles in Biomedical Imaging Emerging Technologies and Applications, Springer Science+Business Media, New York, NY, USA, 2008.
- A. Dingler, R. P. Blum, H. Niehus, R. H. Müller, and S. Gohla, “Solid lipid nanoparticles (SLN(TM)/Lipopearls(TM))—a pharmaceutical and cosmetic carrier for the application of vitamin E in dermal products,” Journal of Microencapsulation, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 751–767, 1999.
- V. L. Colvin, “The potential environmental impact of engineered nanomaterials,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 21, pp. 1166–1170, 2003.
- A. Nel, T. Xia, L. Mädler, and N. Li, “Toxic potential of materials at the nanolevel,” Science, vol. 311, no. 5761, pp. 622–627, 2006.
- R. D. Averitt, D. Sarkar, and N. J. Halas, “Plasmon resonance shifts of Au-coated Au2S nanoshells: insight into multicomponent nanoparticle growth,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 78, no. 22, pp. 4217–4220, 1997.
- L. R. Hirsch, R. J. Stafford, J. A. Bankson et al., “Nanoshell-mediated near-infrared thermal therapy of tumors under magnetic resonance guidance,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 100, no. 23, pp. 13549–13554, 2003.
- A. M. Gobin, M. H. Lee, N. J. Halas, W. D. James, R. A. Drezek, and J. L. West, “Near-infrared resonant nanoshells for combined optical imaging and photothermal cancer therapy,” Nano Letters, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 1929–1934, 2007.
- K. Fu, J. Sun, L. R. Bickford et al., “Measurement of immunotargeted plasmonic nanoparticles' cellular binding: a key factor in optimizing diagnostic efficacy,” Nanotechnology, vol. 19, no. 4, Article ID 045103, 2008.
- S. Lal, S. E. Clare, and N. J. Halas, “Nanoshell-enabled photothermal cancer therapy: impending clinical impact,” Accounts of Chemical Research, vol. 41, no. 12, pp. 1842–1851, 2008.
- S. Lal, N. K. Grady, J. Kundu, C. S. Levin, J. B. Lassiter, and N. J. Halas, “Tailoring plasmonic substrates for surface enhanced spectroscopies,” Chemical Society Reviews, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 898–911, 2008.
- R. Bardhan, W. Chen, C. Perez-Torres et al., “Nanoshells with targeted simultaneous enhancement of magnetic and optical imaging and photothermal therapeutic response,” Advanced Functional Materials, vol. 19, no. 24, pp. 3901–3909, 2009.
- J. R. Cole, N. A. Mirin, M. W. Knight, G. P. Goodrich, and N. J. Halas, “Photothermal efficiencies of nanoshells and nanorods for clinical therapeutic applications,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 113, no. 28, pp. 12090–12094, 2009.
- Y. Wang, W. Qian, Y. Tan, and S. Ding, “A label-free biosensor based on gold nanoshell monolayers for monitoring biomolecular interactions in diluted whole blood,” Biosensors and Bioelectronics, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 1166–1170, 2008.
- A. F. Low, G. J. Tearney, B. E. Bouma, and I. K. Jang, “Technology Insight: optical coherence tomography-current status and future development,” Nature Clinical Practice Cardiovascular Medicine, vol. 3, pp. 154–162, 2006.
- J. Chen, F. Saeki, B. J. Wiley et al., “Gold nanocages: bioconjugation and their potential use as optical imaging contrast agents,” Nano Letters, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 473–477, 2005.
- R. A. Jensen, J. Sherin, and S. R. Emory, “Single nanoparticle based optical pH probe,” Applied Spectroscopy, vol. 61, no. 8, pp. 832–838, 2007.
- S. Keren, C. Zavaleta, Z. Cheng, A. De La Zerda, O. Gheysens, and S. S. Gambhir, “Noninvasive molecular imaging of small living subjects using Raman spectroscopy,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 105, no. 15, pp. 5844–5849, 2008.
- M. Rycenga, Z. Wang, E. Gordon et al., “Probing the photothermal effect of gold-based nanocages with surface-enhanced Raman scattering (SERS),” Angewandte Chemie, vol. 48, no. 52, pp. 9769–9927, 2009.
- M. S. Yavuz, Y. Cheng, J. Chen et al., “Gold nanocages covered by smart polymers for controlled release with near-infrared light,” Nature Materials, vol. 8, no. 12, pp. 935–939, 2009.
- L. Au, J. Chen, L. V. Wang, and Y. Xia, “Gold nanocages for cancer imaging and therapy,” Methods Molecular Biology, vol. 624, pp. 83–99, 2010.
- V. P. Zharov, K. E. Mercer, E. N. Galitovskaya, and M. S. Smeltzer, “Photothermal nanotherapeutics and nanodiagnostics for selective killing of bacteria targeted with gold nanoparticles,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 619–627, 2006.
- C. Loo, A. Lowery, N. Halas, J. West, and R. Drezek, “Immunotargeted nanoshells for integrated cancer imaging and therapy,” Nano Letters, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 709–711, 2005.
- X. Huang, I. H. El-Sayed, W. Qian, and M. A. El-Sayed, “Cancer cell imaging and photothermal therapy in the near-infrared region by using gold nanorods,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 128, no. 6, pp. 2115–2120, 2006.
- X. Huang, P. K. Jain, I. H. El-Sayed, and M. A. El-Sayed, “Determination of the minimum temperature required for selective photothermal destruction of cancer cells with the use of immunotargeted gold nanoparticles,” Photochemistry and Photobiology, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 412–417, 2006.
- X. Huang, W. Qian, I. H. El-Sayed, and M. A. El-Sayed, “The potential use of the enhanced nonlinear properties of gold nanospheres in photothermal cancer therapy,” Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, vol. 39, no. 9, pp. 747–753, 2007.
- J. Chen, D. Wang, J. Xi et al., “Immuno gold nanocages with tailored optical properties for targeted photothermal destruction of cancer cells,” Nano Letters, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 1318–1322, 2007.
- L. Tong, Y. Zhao, T. B. Huff, M. N. Hansen, A. Wei, and J.-X. Cheng, “Gold nanorods mediate tumor cell death by compromising membrane integrity,” Advanced Materials, vol. 19, no. 20, pp. 3136–3141, 2007.
- W. Cai, T. Gao, H. Hong J, and Sun, “Applications of gold nanoparticles in cancer nanotechnology,” Nanotechnology, Science and Applications, vol. 1, pp. 17–32, 2008.
- B. Merchant, “Gold, the Noble metal and the paradoxes of its toxicology,” Biologicals, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 49–59, 1998.
- C. Huang, Y. Hao, J. Nyagilo, D. P. Dave, L. Xu, and X. Sun, “Porous Hollow gold nanoparticles for cancer SERS imaging,” Journal of Nano Research, vol. 10, pp. 137–148, 2010.
- C. Huang, J. Jiangs, M. Lu, L. Sun, E. I. Meletis, and Y. Hao, “Capturing electrochemically evolved nanobubbles by electroless deposition. A facile route to the synthesis of hollow nanoparticles,” Nano Letters, vol. 9, no. 12, pp. 4297–4301, 2009.
- Y. Sun and Y. Xia, “Shape-controlled synthesis of gold and silver nanoparticles,” Science, vol. 298, no. 5601, pp. 2176–2179, 2002.
- N. R. Jana, L. Gearheart, and C. J. Murphy, “Wet chemical synthesis of high aspect ratio cylindrical gold nanorods,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 105, no. 19, pp. 4065–4067, 2001.
- E. C. Cho, Q. Zhang, and Y. Xia, “The effect of sedimentation and diffusion on cellular uptake of gold nanoparticles,” Nature Nanotechnolgy, vol. 6, pp. 385–391, 2011.
- B. C. Heng, X. Zhao, S. Xiong, K. W. Ng, F. Y.-C. Boey, and J. S.-C. Loo, “Cytotoxicity of zinc oxide (ZnO) nanoparticles is influenced by cell density and culture format,” Archives of Toxicology, vol. 85, no. 6, pp. 695–704, 2011.
- C. Uboldi, D. Bonacchi, G. Lorenzi et al., “Gold nanoparticles induce cytotoxicity in the alveolar type-II cell lines A549 and NCIH441,” Particle and Fibre Toxicology, vol. 6, article 18, 2009.