- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanotechnology
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 683153, 10 pages
Cyclosporine A Loaded PLGA Nanoparticles for Dry Eye Disease: In Vitro Characterization Studies
Department of Pharmaceutics, R. C. Patel Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Near Karwand Naka, Shirpur, Maharashtra 425405, India
Received 26 July 2013; Revised 4 October 2013; Accepted 2 December 2013; Published 12 February 2014
Academic Editor: Joseph Irudayaraj
Copyright © 2014 Vijay D. Wagh and Dipak U. Apar. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. D. Wagh, D. U. Apar, and S. J. Surana, “Drug delivery and pharmacotherapy for dry eye disease,” International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 42–46, 2012.
- V. D. Wagh, D. U. Apar, and S. J. Surana, “Animal models of dry eye disease: a review,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 1758–1760, 2012.
- S. C. Pflugfelder, “Antiinflammatory therapy for dry eye,” The American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 137, no. 2, pp. 337–342, 2004.
- S. C. Pflugfelder, A. Solomon, and M. E. Stern, “The diagnosis and management of dry eye: a twenty-five-year review,” Cornea, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 644–649, 2000.
- M. E. Stern, J. Gao, K. F. Siemasko, R. W. Beuerman, and S. C. Pflugfelder, “The role of the lacrimal functional unit in the pathophysiology of dry eye,” Experimental Eye Research, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 409–416, 2004.
- A. Behrens, J. J. Doyle, L. Stern et al., “Dysfunctional tear syndrome: a Delphi approach to treatment recommendations,” Cornea, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 900–907, 2006.
- Q. Zu, S. P. Kambhampati, and R. M. Kannan, “Nanotechnology approaches for ocular drug delivery,” Middle East African Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 26–37, 2013.
- E. McCabe and S. Narayanan, “Advancements in anti-inflammatory therapy for dry eye syndrome,” Optometry, vol. 80, no. 10, pp. 555–566, 2009.
- M. W. Belin, C. S. Bouchard, and T. M. Phillips, “Update on topical cyclosporin A: background, immunology, and pharmacology,” Cornea, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 184–195, 1990.
- S. L. Schreiber and G. R. Crabtree, “The mechanism of action of cyclosporin A and FK506,” Immunology Today, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 136–142, 1992.
- R. C. Mundargi, V. R. Babu, V. Rangaswamy, P. Patel, and T. M. Aminabhavi, “Nano/micro technologies for delivering macromolecular therapeutics using poly(D,L-lactide-co-glycolide) and its derivatives,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 125, no. 3, pp. 193–209, 2008.
- K. Chaturvedi, K. Ganguly, A. R. Kulkarni et al., “Cyclodextrin-based siRNA delivery nanocarriers: a state-of-the-art review,” Expert Opinion on Drug Delivery, vol. 8, no. 11, pp. 1455–1468, 2011.
- P. Calvo, C. Thomas, M. J. Alonso, J. L. Vila-Jato, and J. R. Robinson, “Study of the mechanism of interaction of poly(ε-caprolactone) nanocapsules with the cornea by confocal laser scanning microscopy,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 283–291, 1994.
- K. S. Soppimath, T. M. Aminabhavi, A. R. Kulkarni, and W. E. Rudzinski, “Biodegradable polymeric nanoparticles as drug delivery devices,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 70, no. 1-2, pp. 1–20, 2001.
- R. M. Mainardes, M. C. C. Urban, P. O. Cinto et al., “Colloidal carriers for ophthalmic drug delivery,” Current Drug Targets, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 363–371, 2005.
- A. S. Guinedi, N. D. Mortada, S. Mansour, and R. M. Hathout, “Preparation and evaluation of reverse-phase evaporation and multilamellar niosomes as ophthalmic carriers of acetazolamide,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 306, no. 1-2, pp. 71–82, 2005.
- V. B. Patravale, A. Date Abhijit, and R. M. Kulkarni, “Nanosuspensions: a promising drug delivery strategy,” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 56, no. 7, pp. 827–840, 2004.
- E. Vega, F. Gamisans, M. L. García, A. Chauvet, F. Lacoulonche, and M. A. Egea, “PLGA nanospheres for the ocular delivery of flurbiprofen: drug release and interactions,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 97, no. 12, pp. 5306–5317, 2008.
- J. Araújo, E. Vega, C. Lopes, M. A. Egea, M. L. Garcia, and E. B. Souto, “Effect of polymer viscosity on physicochemical properties and ocular tolerance of FB-loaded PLGA nanospheres,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 48–56, 2009.
- K. Dillen, J. Vandervoort, G. van den Mooter, and A. Ludwig, “Evaluation of ciprofloxacin-loaded Eudragit RS100 or RL100/PLGA nanoparticles,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 314, no. 1, pp. 72–82, 2006.
- K. Dillen, C. Bridts, P. van der Veken et al., “Adhesion of PLGA or Eudragit/PLGA nanoparticles to Staphylococcus and Pseudomonas,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 349, no. 1-2, pp. 234–240, 2008.
- P. Costa and J. M. Sousa Lobo, “Modeling and comparison of dissolution profiles,” The European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 123–133, 2001.
- J. Dai, T. Nagai, X. Wang, T. Zhang, M. Meng, and Q. Zhang, “pH-sensitive nanoparticles for improving the oral bioavailability of cyclosporine A,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 280, no. 1-2, pp. 229–240, 2004.
- D. Quintanar-Guerrero, E. Allémann, H. Fessi, and E. Doelker, “Preparation techniques and mechanisms of formation of biodegradable nanoparticles from preformed polymers,” Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 1113–1128, 1998.
- C. Vauthier-Holtzscherer, S. Benabbou, G. Spenlehauer, M. Veillard, and P. Couvreur, “Methodology for the preparation of ultra-dispersed polymer systems,” STP Pharma Sciences, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 109–116, 1991.
- J. Jaiswal, S. K. Gupta, and J. Kreuter, “Preparation of biodegradable cyclosporine nanoparticles by high-pressure emulsification-solvent evaporation process,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 169–178, 2004.
- L. A. Nkabinde, L. N. Shoba-Zikhali, B. Semete-Makokotlela et al., “Permeation of PLGA nanoparticles across different in vitro models,” Current Drug Delivery, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 617–627, 2012.
- J. T. S. Filho, R. D. Portugal, M. Loureiro, W. Pulcheri, and M. Nucci, “Characterization and analysis of the outcome of adults with acute myeloid leukemia treated in a Brazilian University hospital over three decades,” The Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, vol. 44, no. 7, pp. 660–665, 2011.
- V. Hoffart, N. Ubrich, C. Simonin et al., “Low molecular weight heparin-loaded polymeric nanoparticles: formulation, characterization, and release characteristics,” Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, vol. 28, no. 9, pp. 1091–1099, 2002.
- J. Vandervoort, K. Yoncheva, and A. Ludwig, “Influence of the homogenisation procedure on the physicochemical properties of PLGA nanoparticles,” Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 52, no. 11, pp. 1273–1279, 2004.
- D. Zhang, T. Tan, L. Gao, W. Zhao, and P. Wang, “Preparation of azithromycin nanosuspensions by high pressure homogenization and its physicochemical characteristics studies,” Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 569–575, 2007.
- M. Kondo, T. Niwa, H. Okamoto, and K. Danjo, “Particle characterization of poorly water-soluble drugs using a spray freeze drying technique,” Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 57, no. 7, pp. 657–662, 2009.
- P. Aksungur, M. Demirbilek, E. B. Denkbaş, J. Vandervoort, A. Ludwig, and N. Ünlü, “Development and characterization of cyclosporine A loaded nanoparticles for ocular drug delivery: cellular toxicity, uptake, and kinetic studies,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 151, no. 3, pp. 286–294, 2011.
- Y. He, Y. Liu, Y. Liu et al., “Cyclosporine-loaded microspheres for treatment of uveitis: in vitro characterization and in vivo pharmacokinetic study,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 47, no. 9, pp. 3983–3988, 2006.