- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 703490, 12 pages
Intake of Nutritional Supplements among People Exercising in Gyms in Beirut City
1Department of Nutritional Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, M5S 3E2, Canada
2Department of Nutrition and Food Sciences, Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences, American University of Beirut, Beirut 1107 2020, Lebanon
3Faculty of Sports Sciences, EA3596, University of French West Indies, Pointe-à-Pitre 97157, France
Received 31 July 2011; Accepted 5 October 2011
Academic Editor: Abdulrahman O. Musaiger
Copyright © 2012 D. El Khoury and S. Antoine-Jonville. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Mehio Sibai, L. Nasreddine, A. H. Mokdad, N. Adra, M. Tabet, and N. Hwalla, “Nutrition transition and cardiovascular disease risk factors in Middle East and North Africa countries: reviewing the evidence,” Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism, vol. 57, no. 3-4, pp. 193–203, 2010.
- U. Schroder, “Health effects of nutritional supplements,” in Health and Doping Risks of Nutritional Supplements and Social Drugs, W. Schanzer, F. T. Delbeke, A. Deligiannis, G. Gmeiner, R. Maughan, and J. Mester, Eds., pp. 11–15, Sport and Buch StrauB, Cologne, Germany, 2002.
- R. J. Maughan, D. S. King, and T. Lea, “Dietary supplements,” Journal of Sports Sciences, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 95–113, 2004.
- M. S. Rockwell, S. M. Nickols-Richardson, and F. W. Thye, “Nutrition knowledge, opinions, and practices of coaches and athletic trainers at a Division I University,” International Journal of Sport Nutrition, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 174–185, 2001.
- S. H. Huang, K. Johnson, and A. L. Pipe, “The use of dietary supplements and medications by Canadian athletes at the Atlanta and Sydney olympic games,” Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 27–33, 2006.
- R. A. Harrison, D. Holt, D. J. Pattison, and P. J. Elton, “Are those in need taking dietary supplements? A survey of 21 923 adults,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 91, no. 4, pp. 617–623, 2004.
- W. Van Thuyne, P. Van Eenoo, and F. T. Delbeke, “Nutritional supplements: prevalence of use and contamination with doping agents,” Nutrition Research Reviews, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 147–158, 2006.
- M. E. Palmer, C. Haller, P. E. McKinney et al., “Adverse events associated with dietary supplements: an observational study,” The Lancet, vol. 361, no. 9352, pp. 101–106, 2003.
- R. Calfee and P. Fadale, “Popular ergogenic drugs and supplements in young athletes,” Pediatrics, vol. 117, no. 3, pp. e577–e589, 2006.
- J. Sobal and L. F. Marquart, “Vitamin/mineral supplement use among athletes: a review of the literature,” International Journal of Sport Nutrition, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 320–334, 1994.
- O. Molinero and S. Márquez, “Revisión use of nutritional supplements in sports: risks, knowledge, and behavioural-related factors,” Nutricion Hospitalaria, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 128–134, 2009.
- L. J. Morrison, F. Gizis, and B. Shorter, “Prevalent use of dietary supplements among people who exercise at a commercial gym,” International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 481–492, 2004.
- J. L. Goston and M. I. Correia, “Intake of nutritional supplements among people exercising in gyms and influencing factors,” Nutrition, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 604–611, 2010.
- A. J. S. Oliver, M. T. M. León, and E. G. Hernández, “Statistical analysis of the consumption of nutritional and dietary supplements in gyms,” Archivos Latinoamericanos de Nutricion, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 221–227, 2008.
- G. Slater, B. Tan, and K. C. Teh, “Dietary supplementation practices of Singaporean athletes,” International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 320–332, 2003.
- K. Froiland, W. Koszewski, J. Hingst, and L. Kopecky, “Nutritional supplement use among college athletes and their sources of information,” International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 104–120, 2004.
- M. Kristiansen, R. Levy-Milne, S. Barr, and A. Flint, “Dietary supplement use by varsity athletes at a Canadian University,” International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 195–210, 2005.
- K. A. Erdman, T. S. Fung, and R. A. Reimer, “Influence of performance level on dietary supplementation in elite Canadian athletes,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 349–356, 2006.
- H. C. Lukaski, “Vitamin and mineral status: effects on physical performance,” Nutrition, vol. 20, no. 7-8, pp. 632–644, 2004.
- S. L. Volpe, “Micronutrient requirements for athletes,” Clinics in Sports Medicine, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 119–130, 2007.
- T. L. Schwenk and C. D. Costley, “When food becomes a drug: nonanabolic nutritional supplement use in athletes,” American Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 907–916, 2002.
- J. Ishihara, T. Sobue, S. Yamamoto et al., “Demographics, lifestyles, health characteristics, and dietary intake among dietary supplement users in Japan,” International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 546–553, 2003.
- D. M. Eisenberg, R. C. Kessler, C. Foster, F. E. Norlock, D. R. Calkins, and T. L. Delbanco, “Unconventional medicine in the United States—prevalence, costs, and patterns of use,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 328, no. 4, pp. 246–252, 1993.
- J. Sundgot-Borgen, B. Berglund, and M. K. Torstveit, “Nutritional supplements in Norwegian elite athletes—impact of international ranking and advisors,” Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 138–144, 2003.
- J. Sobal and L. F. Marquart, “Vitamin/mineral supplement use among high school athletes,” Adolescence, vol. 29, no. 116, pp. 835–843, 1994.
- R. D. Burns, M. R. Schiller, M. A. Merrick, and K. N. Wolf, “Intercollegiate student athlete use of nutritional supplements and the role of athletic trainers and dietitians in nutrition counseling,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 104, no. 2, pp. 246–249, 2004.
- K. A. Erdman, T. S. Fung, P. K. Doyle-Baker, M. J. Verhoef, and R. A. Reimer, “Dietary supplementation of high-performance Canadian athletes by age and gender,” Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 458–464, 2007.
- C. Alves and R. V. B. Lima, “Dietary supplement use by adolescents,” Jornal de Pediatria, vol. 85, no. 4, pp. 287–294, 2009.
- C. A. Rosenbloom, S. S. Jonnalagadda, and R. Skinner, “Nutrition knowledge of collegiate athletes in a Division I National Collegiate Athletic Association institution,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 102, no. 3, pp. 418–420, 2002.
- A. Nieper, “Nutritional supplement practices in UK junior national track and field athletes,” British Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 39, no. 9, pp. 645–649, 2005.
- D. E. Scofield and S. Unruh, “Dietary supplement use among adolescent athletes in central Nebraska and their sources of information,” Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 452–455, 2006.
- M. Conner, S. F. L. Kirk, J. E. Cade, and J. H. Barrett, “Environmental influences: dactors influencing a woman's decision to use dietary supplements,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 133, no. 6, pp. 1978S–1982S, 2003.
- O. Ronsen, J. Sundgot-Borgen, and S. Maehlum, “Supplement use and nutritional habits in Norwegian elite athletes,” Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 28–35, 1999.
- M. C. Duellman, J. M. Lukaszuk, A. D. Prawitz, and J. P. Brandenburg, “Protein supplement users among high school athletes have misconceptions about effectiveness,” Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 1124–1129, 2008.
- R. B. Kreider, A. L. Almada, J. Antonio, et al., “ISSN exercise and sport nutrition review: research and recommendations,” Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, vol. 1, pp. 1–44, 2004.
- M. A. Tarnopolsky, S. A. Atkinson, J. D. MacDougall, A. Chesley, S. Phillips, and H. P. Schwarcz, “Evaluation of protein requirements for trained strength athletes,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 73, no. 5, pp. 1986–1995, 1992.
- P. W. R. Lemon, M. A. Tarnopolsky, J. D. MacDougall, and S. A. Atkinson, “Protein requirements and muscle mass/strength changes during intensive training in novice bodybuilders,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 73, no. 2, pp. 767–775, 1992.
- R. B. Kreider, V. Miriel, and E. Bertun, “Amino acid supplementation and exercise performance. Analysis of the proposed ergogenic value,” Sports Medicine, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 190–209, 1993.
- M. Fogeholm, “Vitamin, mineral and antioxidant needs of athletes,” in Clinical Sports Nutrition, L. M. Burke and V. Deakin, Eds., pp. 312–340, McGraw-Hill, Sydney, Australia, 2nd edition, 2000.
- American College of Sports Medicine, American Dietetic Association, and Dietitians of Canada, “Joint Position Statement: nutrition and athletic performance,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 32, no. 12, pp. 2130–2145, 2000.
- S. H. Kim, J. H. Han, and C. L. Keen, “Vitamin and mineral supplement use by healthy teenagers in Korea: motivating factors and dietary consequences,” Nutrition, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 373–380, 2001.
- J. Kennedy, “Herb and supplement use in the US adult population,” Clinical Therapeutics, vol. 27, no. 11, pp. 1847–1858, 2005.
- C. J. Krumbach, D. R. Ellis, and J. A. Driskell, “A report of vitamin and mineral supplement use among university athletes in a division I institution,” International Journal of Sport Nutrition, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 416–425, 1999.
- B. H. Jacobson, C. Sobonya, and J. Ransone, “Nutrition practices and knowledge of college varsity athletes: a follow-up,” Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 63–68, 2001.
- H. H. Tian, W. S. Ong, and C. L. Tan, “Nutritional supplement use among university athletes in Singapore,” Singapore Medical Journal, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 165–172, 2009.
- A. E. Millen, K. W. Dodd, and A. F. Subar, “Use of vitamin, mineral, nonvitamin, and nonmineral supplements in the United States: the 1987, 1992, and 2000 National Health Interview Survey results,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 104, no. 6, pp. 942–950, 2004.
- S. S. Jonnalagadda, C. A. Rosenbloom, and R. Skinner, “Dietary practices, attitudes, and physiological status of collegiate freshman football players,” Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 507–513, 2001.
- B. M. Malinauskas, R. F. Overton, V. G. Carraway, and B. C. Cash, “Supplements of interest for sport-related injury and sources of supplement information among college athletes,” Advances in Medical Sciences, vol. 52, pp. 50–54, 2007.
- A. P. Winterstein and C. M. Storrs, “Herbal Supplements: considerations for the athletic trainer,” Journal of Athletic Training, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 425–432, 2001.
- E. P. Chung, H. J. Hwang, and M. K. Kim, “Evaluation of non-English dietary supplement advertisements in an ethnic minority community in America,” Public Health Nutrition, vol. 10, no. 8, pp. 834–837, 2007.
- M. A. Jordan and T. Haywood, “Evaluation of Internet websites marketing herbal weight-loss supplements to consumers,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 13, no. 9, pp. 1035–1043, 2007.
- S. Fox and L. Ranie, “The online health care revolution: how the web helps Americans take better care of themselves,” Pew Internet and American Life Project, 2000.
- L. P. Rocha and M. V. L. Pereira, “Consumo de suplementos nutricionais por praticantes de exercisios fisicos em academias,” Revista de Nutrição, vol. 11, pp. 76–82, 1998.
- A. Baylis, D. Cameron-Smith, and L. M. Burke, “Inadvertent doping through supplement use by athletes: assessment and management of the risk in Australia,” International Journal of Sport Nutrition, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 365–383, 2001.