- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Oncology
Volume 2009 (2009), Article ID 650340, 6 pages
Prognostic Factors in Patients with Multiple Recurrences of Well-Differentiated Thyroid Carcinoma
Department of Otolaryngology—Head & Neck Surgery, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Received 28 February 2009; Revised 3 July 2009; Accepted 5 July 2009
Academic Editor: Amanda Psyrri
Copyright © 2009 Theresa Holler et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. L. Mazzaferri, “Papillary thyroid carcinoma: factors influencing prognosis and current therapy,” Seminars in Oncology, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 315–332, 1987.
- E. L. Mazzaferri and S. M. Jhiang, “Long-term impact of initial surgical and medical therapy on papillary and follicular thyroid cancer,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 97, no. 5, pp. 418–428, 1994.
- N. A. Samaan, P. N. Schultz, R. C. Hickey, et al., “The results of various modalities of treatment of well differentiated thyroid carcinoma: a retrospective review of 1599 patients,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 75, no. 3, pp. 714–720, 1992.
- N. A. Samaan, Y. K. Maheshwari, S. Nader, et al., “Impact of therapy for differentiated carcinoma of the thyroid: an analysis of 706 cases,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 1131–1138, 1983.
- E. L. Mazzaferri, “An overview of the management of papillary and follicular thyroid carcinoma,” Thyroid, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 421–427, 1999.
- M. Tubiana, M. Schlumberger, P. Rougier, et al., “Long-term results and prognostic factors in patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma,” Cancer, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 794–804, 1985.
- C. E. Palme, Z. Waseem, S. N. Raza, S. Eski, P. Walfish, and J. L. Freeman, “Management and outcome of recurrent well-differentiated thyroid carcinoma,” Archives of Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 130, no. 7, pp. 819–824, 2004.
- J. P. Shah, T. R. Loree, D. Dharker, E. W. Strong, C. Begg, and V. Vlamis, “Prognostic factors in differentiated carcinoma of the thyroid gland,” The American Journal of Surgery, vol. 164, no. 6, pp. 658–661, 1992.
- S. L. Cushing, C. E. Palme, N. Audet, S. Eski, P. G. Walfish, and J. L. Freeman, “Prognostic factors in well-differentiated thyroid carcinoma,” Laryngoscope, vol. 114, no. 12, pp. 2110–2115, 2004.
- A. R. Shaha, “Implications of prognostic factors and risk groups in the management of differentiated thyroid cancer,” Laryngoscope, vol. 114, no. 3, pp. 393–402, 2004.
- A. Jukkola, R. Bloigu, T. Ebeling, P. Salmela, and G. Blanco, “Prognostic factors in differentiated thyroid carcinomas and their implications for current staging classifications,” Endocrine-Related Cancer, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 571–579, 2004.
- W. Eichhorn, H. Tabler, R. Lippold, M. Lochmann, M. Schreckenberger, and P. Bartenstein, “Prognostic factors determining long-term survival in well-differentiated thyroid cancer: an analysis of four hundred eighty-four patients undergoing therapy and aftercare at the same institution,” Thyroid, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 949–958, 2003.
- H. S. Wu, M. T. Young, P. H. G Ituarte, et al., “Death from thyroid cancer of follicular cell origin,” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 191, no. 6, pp. 600–606, 2000.
- S. Ortiz, J. M. Rodríguez, P. Parrilla, et al., “Recurrent papillary thyroid cancer: analysis of prognostic factors including the histological variant,” European Journal of Surgery, vol. 167, no. 6, pp. 406–412, 2001.
- W. M. McConahey, I. D. Hay, L. B. Woolner, J. A. vanHeerden, and W. F. Taylor, “Papillary thyroid cancer treated at the mayo clinic, 1946 through 1970: initial manifestations, pathologic findings, therapy, and outcome,” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, vol. 61, no. 12, pp. 978–996, 1986.
- M. Sellers, S. Beenken, A. Blankenship, et al., “Prognostic significance of cervical lymph node metastases in differentiated thyroid cancer,” The American Journal of Surgery, vol. 164, no. 6, pp. 578–581, 1992.
- S. Beenken, O. Guillamondegui, R. Shallenberger, C. Knapp, D. Ritter, and H. Goepfert, “Prognostic factors in patients dying of well-differentiated thyroid cancer,” Archives of Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 115, no. 3, pp. 326–330, 1989.
- S. A. Smith, I. D. Hay, J. R. Goellner, J. J. Ryan, and W. M. McConahey, “Mortality from papillary thyroid carcinoma. A case-control study of 56 lethal cases,” Cancer, vol. 62, no. 7, pp. 1381–1388, 1988.
- R. Vassilopoulou-Sellin, P. N. Schultz, and T. P. Haynie, “Clinical outcome of patients with papillary thyroid carcinoma who have recurrence after initial radioactive iodine therapy,” Cancer, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 493–501, 1996.
- M. Cobum, D. Teates, and H. J. Wanebo, “Recurrent thyroid cancer: role of surgery versus radioactive iodine (),” Annals of Surgery, vol. 219, no. 6, pp. 587–595, 1994.
- F. L. Greene, D. L. Page, I. D. Fleming, et al., AJCC Cancer Staging Handbook, Springer, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 6th edition, 2002.
- I. D. Hay, E. J. Bergstralh, J. R. Goellner, J. R. Ebersold, and C. S. Grant, “Predicting outcome in papillary thyroid carcinoma: development of a reliable prognostic scoring system in a cohort of 1779 patients surgically treated at one institution during 1940 through 1989,” Surgery, vol. 114, no. 6, pp. 1050–1058, 1993.
- I. D. Hay, G. B. Thompson, C. S. Grant, et al., “Papillary thyroid carcinoma managed at the mayo clinic during six decades (1940–1999): temporal trends in initial therapy and long-term outcome in 2444 consecutively treated patients,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 879–885, 2002.