- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Oncology
Volume 2009 (2009), Article ID 693458, 7 pages
Estimation of Cachexia among Cancer Patients Based on Four Definitions
1Strategic Healthcare Solutions, LLC, P.O. Box 543, Monkton, MD 21111, USA
2College of Pharmacy, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
3Amgen Inc., Thousand Oaks, CA 91320, USA
Received 12 February 2009; Accepted 2 May 2009
Academic Editor: David Ball
Copyright © 2009 Kathleen M. Fox et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [27 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Kate T. Murphy, and Gordon S. Lynch, “Update on emerging drugs for cancer cachexia,” Expert Opinion on Emerging Drugs, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 619–632, 2009.
- Kartik T. Nakhate, Dadasaheb M. Kokare, Praful S. Singru, Amit G. Taksande, Swati D. Kotwal, and Nishikant K. Subhedar, “Hypothalamic cocaine- and amphetamine-regulated transcript peptide is reduc ed and fails to modulate feeding behavior in rats with chemically-induced m ammary carcinogenesis,” Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 340–349, 2010.
- Lizzia Raffaghello, Fernando Safdie, Giovanna Bianchi, Tanya Dorff, Luigi Fontana, and Valter D. Longo, “Fasting and differential chemotherapy protection in patients,” Cell Cycle, vol. 9, no. 22, pp. 4474–4476, 2010.
- Albert Tuca Rodriguez, Agnes Calsina-Berna, Jesus Gonzalez-Barboteo, and Xavier Gomez-Batiste Alentorn, “Cancer cachexia,” Medicina Clinica, vol. 135, no. 12, pp. 568–572, 2010.
- Mary E. Platek, Johann V. Popp, Candi S. Possinger, Carol A. DeNysschen, Peter Horvath, and Jean K. Brown, “Comparison of the Prevalence of Malnutrition Diagnosis in Head and Neck, Ga strointestinal, and Lung Cancer Patients by 3 Classification Methods,” Cancer Nursing, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 410–416, 2011.
- A.V. Khamoui, and J.S. Kim, “Candidate mechanisms underlying effects of contractile activity on muscle morphology and energetics in cancer cachexia,” European Journal of Cancer Care, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 143–157, 2011.
- C. Lee, and V. D. Longo, “Fasting vs dietary restriction in cellular protection and cancer treatment: from model organisms to patients,” Oncogene, vol. 30, no. 30, pp. 3305–3316, 2011.
- Martin A. Cheever, and Celestia S. Higano, “PROVENGE (Sipuleucel-T) in Prostate Cancer: The First FDA-Approved Therapeu tic Cancer Vaccine,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 3520–3526, 2011.
- Kenneth Fearon, Florian Strasser, Stefan D Anker, Ingvar Bosaeus, Eduardo Bruera, Robin L Fainsinger, Aminah Jatoi, Charles Loprinzi, Neil MacDonald, Giovanni Mantovani, Mellar Davis, Maurizio Muscaritoli, Faith Ottery, Lukas Radbruch, Paula Ravasco, Declan Walsh, Andrew Wilcock, Stein Kaasa, and Vickie E Baracos, “Definition and classification of cancer cachexia: an international consensus,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 489–495, 2011.
- Kenneth Fearon, Florian Strasser, Stefan D. Anker, Ingvar Bosaeus, Eduardo Bruera, Robin L. Fainsinger, Aminah Jatoi, Charles Loprinzi, Neil MacDonald, Giovanni Mantovani, Mellar Davis, Maurizio Muscaritoli, Faith Ottery, Lukas Radbruch, Paula Ravasco, Declan Walsh, Andrew Wilcock, Stein Kaasa, and Vickie E. Baracos, “Definition and classification of cancer cachexia: an international consensu s,” Lancet Oncology, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 489–495, 2011.
- Claire L. Donohoe, Aoife M. Ryan, and John V. Reynolds, “Cancer Cachexia: Mechanisms and Clinical Implications,” Gastroenterology Research and Practice, vol. 2011, pp. 1–13, 2011.
- Zoe Giannousi, Ioannis Gioulbasanis, Athanasios G. Pallis, Alexandros Xyrafas, Danai Dalliani, Kostas Kalbakis, Vassilis Papadopoulos, Dimitris Mavroudis, Vassilis Georgoulias, and Christos N. Papandreou, “Nutritional status, acute phase response and depression in metastatic lung cancer patients: correlations and association prognosis,” Supportive Care in Cancer, vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 1823–1829, 2012.
- Lisa K. Sprod, Supriya G. Mohile, Wendy Demark-Wahnefried, Michelle C. Janelsins, Luke J. Peppone, Gary R. Morrow, Raymond Lord, Howard Gross, and Karen M. Mustian, “Exercise and cancer treatment symptoms in 408 newly diagnosed older cancer patients,” Journal of Geriatric Oncology, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 90–97, 2012.
- Benjamin H. L. Tan, Torill Fladvad, Theodore P. Braun, Antonio Vigano, Florian Strasser, D. A. Christopher Deans, Richard J. E. Skipworth, Tora S. Solheim, Sambasivarao Damaraju, James A. Ross, Stein Kaasa, Daniel L. Marks, Vickie E. Baracos, Frank Skorpen, and Kenneth C. H. Fearon, “P-selectin genotype is associated with the development of cancer cachexia,” EMBO Molecular Medicine, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 462–471, 2012.
- Sam Porter, Claire Millar, and Joanne Reid, “Cancer cachexia care: The contribution of qualitative research to evidence-based practice,” Cancer Nursing, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. E30–E38, 2012.
- V. J. Hernandez, J. Weng, P. Ly, S. Pompey, H. Dong, L. Mishra, M. Schwarz, R. G. Anderson, and P. Michaely, “Cavin-3 dictates the balance between ERK and Akt signaling,” eLife, vol. 2, no. 0, pp. e00905–e00905, 2013.
- Mridula Sharma, Ravi Kambadur, Sandhya Sriram, Sudarsanareddy Lokireddy, and Craig D. McFarlane, “Molecular Targets of Cancer Cachexia: Opportunities for Pharmanutritional Approaches,” PharmaNutrition, 2013.
- Ola Wallengren, Kent Lundholm, and Ingvar Bosaeus, “Diagnostic criteria of cancer cachexia: relation to quality of life, exerci se capacity and survival in unselected palliative care patients,” Supportive Care in Cancer, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 1569–1577, 2013.
- Barbara S. van der Meij, Coline P. Schoonbeek, Egbert F. Smit, Maurizio Muscaritoli, Paul A. M. van Leeuwen, and Jacqueline A. E. Langius, “Pre-cachexia and cachexia at diagnosis of stage III non-small-cell lung car cinoma: an exploratory study comparing two consensus-based frameworks,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 109, no. 12, pp. 2231–2239, 2013.
- Anthony M. Villani, Michelle D. Miller, Ian D. Cameron, Susan Kurrle, Craig Whitehead, and Maria Crotty, “Development and relative validity of a new field instrument for detection of geriatric cachexia: preliminary analysis in hip fracture patients,” Journal of Cachexia, Sarcopenia and Muscle, 2013.
- Adam Brown, Ruth England, Jennifer St-John, Victoria Taylor, Cathann Manderson, Vanessa Halliday, and Andrew Wilcock, “The liking and preferences of people with thoracic cancer for oral nutritional supplement drinks,” e-SPEN Journal, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. e55–e58, 2013.
- Adrian S Dobs, Ralph V Boccia, Christopher C Croot, Nashat Y Gabrail, James T Dalton, Michael L Hancock, Mary A Johnston, and Mitchell S Steiner, “Effects of enobosarm on muscle wasting and physical function in patients with cancer: a double-blind, randomised controlled phase 2 trial,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 335–345, 2013.
- Colin E. Champ, Mark V. Mishra, Timothy N. Showalter, Nitin Ohri, Adam P. Dicker, and Nicole L. Simone, “Dietary Recommendations During and After Cancer Treatment: Consistently Inc onsistent?,” Nutrition and Cancer-An International Journal, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 430–439, 2013.
- Richard G. Pestell, Adam P. Dicker, Nicole L. Simone, Colin E. Champ, Renato Baserga, Mark V. Mishra, Lianjin Jin, Federica Sotgia, and Michael P. Lisanti, “Nutrient Restriction and Radiation Therapy for Cancer Treatment: When Less Is More,” Oncologist, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 97–103, 2013.
- Xavier Escoté, and Lluis Fajas, “Metabolic adaptation to cancer growth: From the cell to the organism,” Cancer Letters, 2014.
- Zhihao Lu, Li Yang, Jingwei Yu, Ming Lu, Xiaotian Zhang, Jian Li, Jun Zhou, Xicheng Wang, Jifang Gong, Jing Gao, Jie Li, and Yan Li, “Change of Body Weight and Macrophage Inhibitory Cytokine-1 during Chemother apy in Advanced Gastric Cancer: What Is Their Clinical Significance?,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 2, 2014.
- Elvio G. Russi, Judith E. Raber-Durlacher, and Stephen T. Sonis, “Local and Systemic Pathogenesis and Consequences of Regimen-Induced Inflammatory Responses in Patients with Head and Neck Cancer Receiving Chemoradiation,” Mediators of Inflammation, vol. 2014, pp. 1–14, 2014.