- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Oncology
Volume 2009 (2009), Article ID 854127, 10 pages
Transcriptional Activity of Human Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Family and Angiogenesis Effectors in Locoregionally Recurrent Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma and Correlation with Patient Outcome
1Department of Medical Oncology, Ioannina University Hospital, Ioannina 45500, Greece
2ENT Department, “AHEPA” Hospital, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki School of Medicine, Thessaloniki 57100, Greece
3Siemens Healthcare Diagnostics, Cologne, Germany
4Hellenic Cooperative Oncology Group, Data Office, Athens 45118, Greece
5Department of Medical Oncology, “Papageorgiou” Hospital, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki School of Medicine, Thessaloniki 57100, Greece
Received 7 February 2009; Revised 11 June 2009; Accepted 23 July 2009
Academic Editor: Amanda Psyrri
Copyright © 2009 George Pentheroudakis et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- I. Ganly and S. B. Kaye, “Recurrent squamous-cell carcinoma of the head and neck: overview of current therapy and future prospects,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 11–16, 2000.
- C. Kotwall, K. Sako, M. S. Razack, U. Rao, V. Bakamjian, and D. P. Shedd, “Metastatic patterns in squamous cell cancer of the head and neck,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 154, no. 4, pp. 439–442, 1987.
- S. J. Wong, M. Machtay, and Y. Li, “Locally recurrent, previously irradiated head and neck cancer: concurrent re-irradiation and chemotherapy, or chemotherapy alone?” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 24, no. 17, pp. 2653–2658, 2006.
- J. K. Salama, E. E. Vokes, S. J. Chmura, et al., “Long-term outcome of concurrent chemotherapy and reirradiation for recurrent and second primary head-and-neck squamous cell carcinoma,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 382–391, 2006.
- R. De Crevoisier, J. Bourhis, C. Domenge, et al., “Full-dose reirradiation for unresectable head and neck carcinoma: experience at the Gustave-Roussy Institute in a series of 169 patients,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 16, no. 11, pp. 3556–3562, 1998.
- K. R. Jones, R. D. Lodge-Rigal, R. L. Reddick, G. E. Tudor, and W. W. Shockley, “Prognostic factors in the recurrence of stage I and II squamous cell cancer of the oral cavity,” Archives of Otolaryngology, vol. 118, no. 5, pp. 483–485, 1992.
- L. J. Peters, H. Goepfert, K. K. Ang, et al., “Evaluation of the dose for postoperative radiation therapy of head and neck cancer: first report of a prospective randomized trial,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 3–11, 1993.
- K. K. Ang, B. A. Berkey, X. Tu, et al., “Impact of EGFR expression on survival and pattern of relapse in patients with advanced head and neck carcinoma,” Cancer Research, vol. 62, no. 24, pp. 7350–7356, 2002.
- Q. Wei, L. Sheng, Y. Shui, Q. Hu, H. Nordgren, and J. Carlsson, “EGFR, HER2, and HER3 expression in laryngeal primary tumors and corresponding metastases,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 1193–1201, 2008.
- C. Le Tourneau and L. L. Siu, “Molecular-targeted therapies in the treatment of squamous cell carcinomas of the head and neck,” Current Opinion in Oncology, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 256–263, 2008.
- M. V. Karamouzis, J. R. Grandis, and A. Argiris, “Therapies directed against EGFR in aerodigestive carcinomas,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 298, no. 1, pp. 70–82, 2007.
- J. Vermorken, R. Mesia, V. Vega, et al., “Cetuximab extends survival of patients with recurrent or metastatic SCCHN when added to first line platinum based therapy: results of a randomised phase III study,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 25, p. 6091, 2007.
- P. A. Kyzas, I. W. Cunha, and J. P. Ioannidis, “Prognostic significance of vascular endothelial growth factor immunohistochemical expression in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma: a meta-analysis,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 1434–1440, 2005.
- T. Y. Seiwert and E. E. W. Cohen, “Targeting angiogenesis in head and neck cancer,” Seminars in Oncology, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 274–285, 2008.
- A. Bozec, A. Sudaka, J.-L. Fischel, M.-C. Brunstein, M.-C. Etienne-Grimaldi, and G. Milano, “Combined effects of bevacizumab with erlotinib and irradiation: a preclinical study on a head and neck cancer orthotopic model,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 93–99, 2008.
- T. Y. Seiwert, D. W. Davis, D. Yan, A. M. Mauer, T. Karrison, and M. Kozloff, “pKDR/KDR ratio predicts response in a phase I/II pharmacodynamic study of erlotinib and bevacizumab for recurrent or metastatic head and neck cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 25, supplement 20, p. 6021, 2007.
- J. J. Homer, M. G. Prentice, L. Cawkwell, M. Birchall, J. Greenman, and N. D. Stafford, “Angiogenesis and the expression of VEGF-A and C in squamous cell carcinoma of the piriform fossa,” Archives of Otolaryngology, vol. 129, no. 10, pp. 1110–1114, 2003.
- T. Nakazato, S. Shingaki, N. Kitamura, C. Saito, R. Kuwano, and M. Tachibana, “Expression level of VEGF-C and A in cultured human oral squamous cell carcinoma correlates respectively with lymphatic metastases and angiogenesis when transplanted in nude mouse oral cavity,” Oncology Reports, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 825–830, 2006.
- S. Shintani, C. Li, T. Ishikawa, M. Mihara, K. Nakashiro, and H. Hamakawa, “Expression of VEGF A, B, C, and D in oral squamous cell carcinoma,” Oral Oncology, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 13–20, 2004.
- Y. Tanigaki, Y. Nagashima, Y. Kitamura, H. Matsuda, Y. Mikami, and M. Tsukuda, “The expression of VEGF-A, C and receptors 1 and 3: correlation with lymph node metastasis and prognosis in tongue squamous cell carcinoma,” International Journal of Molecular Medicine, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 389–395, 2004.
- P. O-Charoenrat, P. Rhys-Evans, and S. A. Eccles, “Expression of VEGF family members in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma correlates with lymph node metastasis,” Cancer, vol. 92, no. 3, pp. 556–568, 2001.
- S. J. Harper and D. O. Bates, “VEGF-A splicing: the key to anti-angiogenic therapeutics?” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 880–887, 2008.
- M. Agulnik, G. Cunha-Santos, D. Hedley, et al., “Predictive and pharmacodynamic biomarker studies in tumor and skin tissue samples of patients with recurrent or metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck treated with erlotinib,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 25, no. 16, pp. 2184–2190, 2007.
- C. Willmore-Payne, J. A. Holden, and L. J. Layfield, “Detection of EGFR- and HER2-activating mutations in squamous cell carcinoma involving the head and neck,” Modern Pathology, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 634–640, 2006.
- C. H. Chung, K. Ely, L. McGavran, et al., “Increased EGFR gene copy number is associated with poor prognosis in head and neck squamous cell carcinomas,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 24, no. 25, pp. 4170–4176, 2006.
- Y. H. Xu, S. Ishii, A. J. Clark, et al., “Human EGFR cDNA is homologous to a variety of RNAs overproduced in A431 carcinoma cells,” Nature, vol. 309, no. 5971, pp. 806–810, 1984.
- N. A. Bergamo, S. R. Rogatto, R. C. Poli-Frederico, et al., “Comparative genomic hybridisation analysis detects frequent over-representation of DNA sequences at 3q, 7p and 8q in head and neck carcinomas,” Cancer Genetics and Cytogenetics, vol. 119, pp. 48–55, 2000.