- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Oncology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 458431, 6 pages
Histone Deacetylase Inhibitor Therapy in Epithelial Ovarian Cancer
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Oita University, Oita 879-5593, Japan
Received 24 March 2009; Revised 6 September 2009; Accepted 13 October 2009
Academic Editor: Charles F. Levenback
Copyright © 2010 Noriyuki Takai and Hisashi Narahara. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. J. Reinhardt, “Gynecologic tumors,” Recent Results in Cancer Research, vol. 170, pp. 141–150, 2008.
- P. J. Frederick, J. M. Straughn Jr., R. D. Alvarez, and D. J. Buchsbaum, “Preclinical studies and clinical utilization of monoclonal antibodies in epithelial ovarian cancer,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 113, no. 3, pp. 384–390, 2009.
- B. D. Strahl and C. D. Allis, “The language of covalent histone modifications,” Nature, vol. 403, no. 6765, pp. 41–45, 2000.
- E. Verdin, F. Dequiedt, and H. G. Kasler, “Class II histone deacetylases: versatile regulators,” Trends in Genetics, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 286–293, 2003.
- Q. Zhou, Z. K. Melkoumian, A. Lucktong, M. Moniwa, J. R. Davie, and J. S. Strobl, “Rapid induction of histone hyperacetylation and cellular differentiation in human breast tumor cell lines following degradation of histone deacetylase-1,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 275, no. 45, pp. 35256–35263, 2000.
- T. Jenuwein and C. D. Allis, “Translating the histone code,” Science, vol. 293, no. 5532, pp. 1074–1080, 2001.
- J. E. Bolden, M. J. Peart, and R. W. Johnstone, “Anticancer activities of histone deacetylase inhibitors,” Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, vol. 5, no. 9, pp. 769–784, 2006.
- W. S. Xu, R. B. Parmigiani, and P. A. Marks, “Histone deacetylase inhibitors: molecular mechanisms of action,” Oncogene, vol. 26, no. 37, pp. 5541–5552, 2007.
- N. Takai and H. Narahara, “Human endometrial and ovarian cancer cells: histone deacetylase inhibitors exhibit antiproliferative activity, potently induce cell cycle arrest, and stimulate apoptosis,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 14, no. 24, pp. 2548–2553, 2007.
- A. Ong, S. L. Maines-Bandiera, C. D. Roskelley, and N. Auersperg, “An ovarian adenocarcinoma line derived from SV40/E-cadherin-transfected normal human ovarian surface epithelium,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 85, no. 3, pp. 430–437, 2000.
- N. Takai, N. Kawamata, D. Gui, J. W. Said, I. Miyakawa, and H. P. Koeffler, “Human ovarian carcinoma cells: histone deacetylase inhibitors exhibit antiproliferative activity and potently induce apoptosis,” Cancer, vol. 101, no. 12, pp. 2760–2770, 2004.
- J. Sonnemann, J. Gänge, S. Pilz, et al., “Comparative evaluation of the treatment efficacy of suberoylanilide hydroxamic acid (SAHA) and paclitaxel in ovarian cancer cell lines and primary ovarian cancer cells from patients,” BMC Cancer, vol. 6, article 183, pp. 1–9, 2006.
- A. L. Cooper, V. L. Greenberg, P. S. Lancaster, J. R. van Nagell Jr., S. G. Zimmer, and S. C. Modesitt, “In vitro and in vivo histone deacetylase inhibitor therapy with suberoylanilide hydroxamic acid (SAHA) and paclitaxel in ovarian cancer,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 104, no. 3, pp. 596–601, 2007.
- M. Göttlicher, “Valproic acid: an old drug newly discovered as inhibitor of histone deacetylases,” Annals of Hematology, vol. 83, supplement 1, pp. S91–S92, 2004.
- C.-T. Lin, H.-C. Lai, H.-Y. Lee, et al., “Valproic acid resensitizes cisplatin-resistant ovarian cancer cells,” Cancer Science, vol. 99, no. 6, pp. 1218–1226, 2008.
- N. Takai, T. Ueda, M. Nishida, et al., “CBHA is a family of hybrid polar compounds that inhibit histone deacetylase, and induces growth inhibition, cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in human endometrial and ovarian cancer cells,” Oncology, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 97–105, 2006.
- N. Takai, T. Ueda, M. Nishida, K. Nasu, and H. Narahara, “A novel histone deacetylase inhibitor, Scriptaid, induces growth inhibition, cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in human endometrial cancer and ovarian cancer cells,” International Journal of Molecular Medicine, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 323–329, 2006.
- N. Takai, T. Ueda, M. Nishida, K. Nasu, and H. Narahara, “Anticancer activity of MS-275, a novel histone deacetylase inhibitor, against human endometrial cancer cells,” Anticancer Research, vol. 26, no. 2A, pp. 939–945, 2006.
- N. Takai, T. Ueda, M. Nishida, K. Nasu, and H. Narahara, “M344 is a novel synthesized histone deacetylase inhibitor that induces growth inhibition, cell cycle arrest, and apoptosis in human endometrial cancer and ovarian cancer cells,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 108–113, 2006.
- T. Ueda, N. Takai, M. Nishida, K. Nasu, and H. Narahara, “Apicidin, a novel histone deacetylase inhibitor, has profound anti-growth activity in human endometrial and ovarian cancer cells,” International Journal of Molecular Medicine, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 301–308, 2007.
- X. Qian, W. J. LaRochelle, G. Ara, et al., “Activity of PXD101, a histone deacetylase inhibitor, in preclinical ovarian cancer studies,” Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, vol. 5, no. 8, pp. 2086–2095, 2006.
- N. H. Chobanian, V. L. Greenberg, J. M. Gass, C. P. Desimone, J. R. van Nagell, and S. G. Zimmer, “Histone deacetylase inhibitors enhance paclitaxel-induced cell death in ovarian cancer cell lines independent of p53 status,” Anticancer Research, vol. 24, no. 2B, pp. 539–545, 2004.
- M. Bazzaro, Z. Lin, A. Santillan, et al., “Ubiquitin proteasome system stress underlies synergistic killing of ovarian cancer cells by bortezomib and a novel HDAC6 inhibitor,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 14, no. 22, pp. 7340–7347, 2008.
- N. Takai, J. C. Desmond, T. Kumagai, et al., “Histone deacetylase inhibitors have a profound antigrowth activity in endometrial cancer cells,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 1141–1149, 2004.
- R. P. Warrell Jr., L.-Z. He, V. Richon, E. Calleja, and P. P. Pandolfi, “Therapeutic targeting of transcription in acute promyelocytic leukemia by use of an inhibitor of histone deacetylase,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 90, no. 21, pp. 1621–1625, 1998.
- H. L. Newmark and C. W. Young, “Butyrate and phenylacetate as differentiating agents: practical problems and opportunities,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 59, supplement 22, pp. 247–253, 1995.
- L. H. Camacho, J. Olson, W. P. Tong, C. W. Young, D. R. Spriggs, and M. G. Malkin, “Phase I dose escalation clinical trial of phenylbutyrate sodium administered twice daily to patients with advanced solid tumors,” Investigational New Drugs, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 131–138, 2007.
- S. C. Modesitt, M. Sill, J. S. Hoffman, and D. P. Bender, “A phase II study of vorinostat in the treatment of persistent or recurrent epithelial ovarian or primary peritoneal carcinoma: a Gynecologic Oncology Group study,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 109, no. 2, pp. 182–186, 2008.
- M. H. Shah, P. Binkley, K. Chan, et al., “Cardiotoxicity of histone deacetylase inhibitor depsipeptide in patients with metastatic neuroendocrine tumors,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 12, no. 13, pp. 3997–4003, 2006.
- M. Candelaria, D. Gallardo-Rincón, C. Arce, et al., “A phase II study of epigenetic therapy with hydralazine and magnesium valproate to overcome chemotherapy resistance in refractory solid tumors,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 1529–1538, 2007.
- H. Mackay, H. W. Hirte, A. Covens, et al., “A phase II trial of the histone deacetylase inhibitor belinostat (PXD101) in patients with platinum resistant epithelial ovarian tumors and micropapillary/borderline (LMP) ovarian tumors. A PMH phase II consortium trial,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 26, no. 15, supplement, 2008, abstract no. 5518.
- N. J. Finkler, D. S. Dizon, P. Braly, et al., “Phase II multicenter trial of the histone deactylase inhibitor (HDACi) belinostat, carboplatin and paclitaxel (BelCaP) in patients (pts) with relapsed epithelial ovarian cancer (EOC),” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 26, no. 15, supplement, 2008, abstract no. 5519.