- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Oncology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 252675, 8 pages
Epidemiology of Cigarette and Smokeless Tobacco Use among South Asian Immigrants in the Northeastern United States
1UMDNJ-School of Public Health and The Cancer Institute of New Jersey, 335 George Street, Suite 2100, New Brunswick, NJ 08903, USA
2UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and The Cancer Institute of New Jersey, 125 Paterson Street, Room 2300, New Brunswick, NJ 08903, USA
3UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and The Cancer Institute of New Jersey, 195 Little Albany Street, Room 5569, New Brunswick, NJ 08903-2681, USA
4UMDNJ-School of Public Health, 335 George Street, Suite 2100, New Brunswick, NJ 08903, USA
5UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and The Cancer Institute of New Jersey, 195 Little Albany Street, Room 2002B, New Brunswick, NJ 08903-2681, USA
Received 31 December 2010; Accepted 2 March 2011
Academic Editor: Aditi Chatterjee
Copyright © 2011 Cristine D. Delnevo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- U.S. Census Bureau, The Asian Population: 2000, Publication C2KBR/01-16, 2002, http://www.census.gov/prod/2002pubs/c2kbr01-16.pdf.
- P. Joshi, S. Islam, P. Pais et al., “Risk factors for early myocardial infarction in South Asians compared with individuals in other countries,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 297, no. 3, pp. 286–294, 2007.
- T. A. Chowdhury, C. Grace, and P. G. Kopelman, “Preventing diabetes in South Asians,” British Medical Journal, vol. 327, no. 7423, pp. 1059–1060, 2003.
- D. Parkin, S. Whelan, J. Ferlay, L. Teppo, and D. Thomas, Eds., Cancer Incidence in Five Continents, vol. 8, International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France, 2002.
- SAALT, “Demographic characteristics of south Asians in the United States,” http://www.saalt.org/pages/Reports%7B47%7DPublications.html.
- J. Ye, G. Rust, P. Baltrus, and E. Daniels, “Cardiovascular risk factors among Asian Americans: results from a National Health Survey,” Annals of Epidemiology, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 718–723, 2009.
- M. Rani, S. Bonu, P. Jha, S. N. Nguyen, and L. Jamjoum, “Tobacco use in India: prevalence and predictors of smoking and chewing in a national cross sectional household survey,” Tob Control, vol. 12, no. 4, article e4, 2003.
- M. S. Flora, C. G. N. Mascie-Taylor, and M. Rahman, “Gender and locality differences in tobacco prevalence among adult Bangladeshis,” Tobacco Control, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 445–450, 2009.
- A. Y. Alam, A. Iqbal, K. B. Mohamud, R. E. Laporte, A. Ahmed, and S. Nishtar, “Investigating socio-economic-demographic determinants of tobacco use in Rawalpindi, Pakistan,” BMC Public Health, vol. 8, article 50, 2008.
- R. Balarajan and P. Yuen, “British smoking and drinking habits: variations by country of birth,” Journal of Public Health, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 237–239, 1986.
- H. S. Kohli, “A comparison of smoking and drinking among Asian and white schoolchildren in Glasgow,” Public Health, vol. 103, no. 6, pp. 433–439, 1989.
- J. Bush, M. White, J. Kai, J. Rankin, and R. Bhopal, “Understanding influences on smoking in Bangladeshi and Pakistani adults: community based, qualitative study,” British Medical Journal, vol. 326, no. 7396, pp. 962–965, 2003.
- National Health Service, “The health of minority ethnic groups, 2004 Health Survey for England,” http://www.ic.nhs.uk/statistics-and-data-collections/health-and-lifestyles-related-surveys/health-survey-for-england.
- R. Lew and S. P. Tanjasiri, “Slowing the epidemic of tobacco use among Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 93, no. 5, pp. 764–768, 2003.
- S. L. Ivey, S. Patel, P. Kalra, K. Greenlund, S. Srinivasan, and D. Grewal, “Cardiovascular health among Asian Indians (CHAI): a community research project,” Journal of Interprofessional Care, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 391–402, 2004.
- B. A. Glenn, Z. Surani, N. Chawla, and R. Bastani, “Tobacco use among South Asians: results of a community-university collaborative study,” Ethnicity and Health, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 131–145, 2009.
- S. L. Ivey, K. M. Mehta, C. L. Wassel Fyr, and A. M. Kanaya, “Prevalence and correlates of cardiovascular risk factors in South Asians: population-based data from two California surveys,” Ethnicity and Disease, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 886–893, 2006.
- US Department of Commerce, Census Bureau, “National Cancer Institute and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Co-sponsored tobacco use supplement to the current population survey (2006-07),” 2008, http://riskfactor.cancer.gov/studies/tus-cps/.
- G. A. Giovino, M. W. Schooley, B. P. Zhu et al., “Surveillance for selected tobacco-use behaviors—United States, 1900–1994,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 1–43, 1994.
- Research Triangle Institute, SUDAAN User’s Manual, Release 8.0, Research Triangle Institute, Research Triangle Park, NC, USA, 2001.
- S. Choi, S. Rankin, A. Stewart, and R. Oka, “Effects of acculturation on smoking behavior in Asian Americans: a meta-analysis,” Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 67–73, 2008.
- M. White, J. Bush, J. Kai, R. Bhopal, and J. Rankin, “Quitting smoking and experience of smoking cessation interventions among UK Bangladeshi and Pakistani adults: the views of community members and health professionals,” Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 405–411, 2006.
- P. C. Gupta and C. S. Ray, “Smokeless tobacco and health in India and South Asia,” Respirology, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 419–431, 2003.
- International Agency for Research on Cancer, Betel-Quid and Areca-Nut Chewing and Some Areca-Nut-Derived Nitrosamines, vol. 85 of IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans, World Health Organization International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France, 2004.
- International Agency for Research on Cancer, Smokeless Tobacco and Some Tobacco-Specific N-Nitrosamines, vol. 89 of IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans, World Health Organization International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France, 2007.
- J. Ferlay, F. Bray, P. Pisani, and D. M. Parkin, “Globocan 2002: cancer incidence, mortality and prevalence worldwide, version 2.0,” 2002.
- R. Sankaranarayanan, “Oral cancer in India: an epidemiologic and clinical review,” Oral Surgery Oral Medicine and Oral Pathology, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 325–330, 1990.
- A. Auluck, G. Hislop, C. Poh, L. Zhang, and M. P. Rosin, “Areca nut and betel quid chewing among South Asian immigrants to Western countries and its implications for oral cancer screening,” Rural and Remote Health, vol. 9, no. 2, p. 1118, 2009.
- L. Liu, S. K. S. Kumar, P. P. Sedghizadeh, A. N. Jayakar, and C. F. Shuler, “Oral squamous cell carcinoma incidence by subsite among diverse racial and ethnic populations in California,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontology, vol. 105, no. 4, pp. 470–480, 2008.
- D. R. Moles, S. Fedele, P. M. Speight, S. R. Porter, and I. dos Santos Silva, “Oral and pharyngeal cancer in South Asians and non-South Asians in relation to socioeconomic deprivation in South East England,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 633–635, 2008.
- H. Winter, K. K. Cheng, C. Cummins, R. Maric, P. Silcocks, and C. Varghese, “Cancer incidence in the south Asian population of England (1990–92),” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 79, no. 3-4, pp. 645–654, 1999.
- A. McNeill, R. Bedi, S. Islam, M. N. Alkhatib, and R. West, “Levels of toxins in oral tobacco products in the UK,” Tobacco Control, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 64–67, 2006.
- M. S. Chen Jr. and H. Tang, “Review of smoking cessation research among Asian Americans: the state of the research,” Nicotine and Tobacco Research, vol. 9, supplement 3, pp. 485–493, 2007.