- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Oncology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 481806, 9 pages
Benign and Suspicious Ovarian Masses—MR Imaging Criteria for Characterization: Pictorial Review
Department of Bioimaging and Radiological Sciences, Catholic University of Rome, Largo A Gemelli, 8, 00168 Rome, Italy
Received 21 December 2011; Accepted 15 January 2012
Academic Editor: Mine Erguven
Copyright © 2012 A. L. Valentini et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. Pierce, P. Narayanan, A. Sahdev, R. Reznek, and A. Rockall, “Ovarian lesions pose diagnostic dilemmas,” Diagnostic Imaging Europe, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 14–18, 2008.
- J. A. Spencer and S. Ghattamaneni, “MR imaging of the sonographically indeterminate adnexal mass,” Radiology, vol. 256, no. 3, pp. 677–694, 2010.
- E. Bouic-Pagès, H. Perrochia, S. Mérigeaud, P. Y. Giacalone, and P. Taourel, “Corrélations anatomopathologiques: IRM des tumeurs ovariennes primitives,” Journal de Radiologie, vol. 90, no. 7-8, pp. 787–802, 2009.
- S. A. A. Sohaib and R. H. Reznek, “MR imaging in ovarian cancer,” Cancer Imaging, vol. 7, pp. S119–S129, 2007.
- Y. Y. Jeong, E. K. Outwater, and H. K. Kang, “From the RSNA refresher courses: imaging evaluation of ovarian masses,” Radiographics, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 1445–1470, 2000.
- J. A. Spencer, R. Forstner, T. M. Cunha, and K. Kinkel, “ESUR guidelines for MR imaging of the sonographically indeterminate adnexal mass: an algorithmic approach,” European Radiology, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 25–35, 2010.
- K. Tamai, T. Koyama, T. Saga et al., “MR features of physiologic and benign conditions of the ovary,” European Radiology, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 2700–2711, 2006.
- M. Bazot, E. Daraï, J. Nassar-Slaba, C. Lafont, and I. Thomassin-Naggara, “Value of magnetic resonance imaging for the diagnosis of ovarian tumors: a review,” Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 712–723, 2008.
- R. N. Troiano and S. McCarthy, “Magnetic resonance imaging evaluation of adnexal masses,” Seminars in Ultrasound CT and MRI, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 38–48, 1994.
- P. J. Woodward and M. Gilfeather, “Magnetic resonance imaging of the female pelvis,” Seminars in Ultrasound CT and MRI, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 90–103, 1998.
- E. K. Outwater and D. G. Mitchell, “Magnetic resonance imaging techniques in the pelvis,” Magnetic Resonance Imaging Clinics of North America, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 161–188, 1994.
- S. K. Stevens, H. Hricak, and Z. Campos, “Teratomas versus cystic hemorrhagic adnexal lesions: differentiation with proton-selective fat-saturation MR imaging,” Radiology, vol. 186, no. 2, pp. 481–488, 1993.
- K. Togashi, K. Nishimura, I. Kimura et al., “Endometrial cysts: diagnosis with MR imaging,” Radiology, vol. 180, no. 1, pp. 73–78, 1991.
- E. K. Outwater and C. J. Dunton, “Imaging of the ovary and adnexa: clinical issues and applications of MR imaging,” Radiology, vol. 194, no. 1, pp. 1–18, 1995.
- R. N. Low and J. S. Sigeti, “MR imaging of peritoneal disease: comparison of contrast-enhanced fast multiplanar spoiled gradient-recalled and spin-echo imaging,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 163, no. 5, pp. 1131–1140, 1994.
- S. K. Stevens, H. Hricak, and J. L. Stern, “Ovarian lesions: detection and characterization with gadolinium-enhanced MR imaging at 1.5 T,” Radiology, vol. 181, no. 2, pp. 481–488, 1991.
- E. S. Siegelman and E. K. Outwater, “Tissue characterization in the female pelvis by means of MR imaging,” Radiology, vol. 212, no. 1, pp. 5–18, 1999.
- A. Balen and K. Michelmore, “What is polycystic ovary syndrome? Are national views important?” Human Reproduction, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 2219–2227, 2002.
- M. E. Heilbrun, J. Olpin, and A. Shaaban, “Imaging of benign adnexal masses: characteristic presentations on ultrasound, computed tomography, and magnetic resonance imaging,” Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 21–39, 2009.
- I. Kimura, K. Togashi, S. Kawakami et al., “Polycystic ovaries: implications of diagnosis with MR imaging,” Radiology, vol. 201, no. 2, pp. 549–552, 1996.
- Y. O. Tanaka, H. Tsunoda, Y. Kitagawa, T. Ueno, H. Yoshikawa, and Y. Saida, “Functioning ovarian tumors: direct and indirect findings at MR imaging,” Radiographics, vol. 24, pp. S147–S166, 2004.
- K. Kinkel, K. A. Frei, C. Balleyguier, and C. Chapron, “Diagnosis of endometriosis with imaging: a review,” European Radiology, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 285–298, 2006.
- M. Bazot, I. Thomassin, R. Hourani, A. Cortez, and E. Darai, “Diagnostic accuracy of transvaginal sonography for deep pelvic endometriosis,” Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 180–185, 2004.
- Y. O. Tanaka, T. Yoshizako, M. Nishida, M. Yamaguchi, K. Sugimura, and Y. Itai, “Ovarian carcinoma in patients with endometriosis: MR imaging findings,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 175, no. 5, pp. 1423–1430, 2000.
- C. A. Gougoutas, E. S. Siegelman, J. Hunt, and E. K. Outwater, “Pelvic endometriosis: various manifestations and MR imaging findings,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 175, no. 2, pp. 353–358, 2000.
- E. Outwater, M. L. Schiebler, R. S. Owen, and M. D. Schnall, “Characterization of hemorrhagic adnexal lesions with MR imaging: blinded reader study,” Radiology, vol. 186, no. 2, pp. 489–494, 1993.
- G. M. Kalish, M. D. Patel, M. L. D. Gunn, and T. J. Dubinsky, “Computed tomographic and magnetic resonance features of gynecologic abnormalities in women presenting with acute or chronic abdominal pain,” Ultrasound Quarterly, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 167–175, 2007.
- R. D. Bellah and N. T. Griscom, “Torsion of normal uterine adnexa before menarche: CT appearance,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 152, no. 1, pp. 123–124, 1989.
- S. E. Rha, J. Y. Byun, S. E. Jung et al., “CT and MR imaging features of adnexal torsion,” Radiographics, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 283–294, 2002.
- F. Minutoli, A. Blandino, M. Gaeta, M. Lentini, and I. Pandolfo, “Twisted ovarian fibroma with high signal intensity on T1-weighted MR image: a new sign of torsion of ovarian tumors?” European Radiology, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 1151–1154, 2001.
- I. Thomassin-Naggara, G. Dubernard, C. Lafont, J. Chopier, E. Daraï, and M. Bazot, “Imaging in pelvic inflammatory disease,” Journal de Radiologie, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 134–141, 2008.
- T. A. Tukeva, H. J. Aronen, P. T. Karjalainen, P. Molander, T. Paavonen, and J. Paavonen, “MR imaging in pelvic inflammatory disease: comparison with laparoscopy and US,” Radiology, vol. 210, no. 1, pp. 209–216, 1999.
- S. H. Kim, D. M. Yang, and K. A. Kim, “Unusual causes of tubo-ovarian abscess: CT and MR imaging findings,” Radiographics, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 1575–1793, 2004.
- J. M. Hawnaur, K. Reynolds, and C. McGettigan, “Magnetic resonance imaging of actinomycosis presenting as pelvic malignancy,” The British Journal of Radiology, vol. 72, pp. 1006–1011, 1999.
- I. Imaoka, A. Wada, Y. Kaji et al., “Developing an MR imaging strategy for diagnosis of ovarian masses,” Radiographics, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 1431–1448, 2006.
- P. B. J. Van Vierzen, L. F. A. G. Massuger, S. H. J. Ruys, and J. O. Barentsz, “Borderline ovarian malignancy: ultrasound and fast dynamic MR findings,” European Journal of Radiology, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 136–142, 1998.