- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Oncology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 571862, 9 pages
Complex Etiology Underlies Risk and Survival in Head and Neck Cancer Human Papillomavirus, Tobacco, and Alcohol: A Case for Multifactor Disease
1Department of Epidemiology, College of Public Health, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
2Veterans Affairs Medical Center and the Department of Pathology, Carver College of Medicine, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
3Research Program Infection and Cancer, German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ), 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Received 30 July 2011; Revised 14 September 2011; Accepted 15 September 2011
Academic Editor: Adhemar Longatto-Filho
Copyright © 2012 Elaine M. Smith et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [28 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Blanca R. Ibieta-Zarco, Adela Carrillo-García, Sergio Ponce-de-León-Rosales, Martha M. Flores-Miranda, Alejandro Mohar, and Marcela Lizano, “Frequency and genotype distribution of multiple human papillomavirus infections in cancer of the head and neck in a Mexican population,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology, vol. 114, no. 3, pp. 350–357, 2012.
- Li-Ang Lee, Chung-Guei Huang, Chun-Ta Liao, Li-Yu Lee, Chuen Hsueh, Tse-Ching Chen, Chien-Yu Lin, Kang-Hsing Fan, Hung-Ming Wang, Shiang-Fu Huang, I-How Chen, Chung-Jan Kang, Sh Shu-Hang Ng, Shu-Li Yang, Kuo-Chien Tsao, Yu-Liang Chang, and Tzu-Chen Yen, “Human Papillomavirus-16 Infection in Advanced Oral Cavity Cancer Patients Is Related to an Increased Risk of Distant Metastases and Poor Survival,” Plos One, vol. 7, no. 7, 2012.
- Dan P. Zandberg, Ranjana Bhargava, Simon Badin, and Kevin J. Cullen, “The role of human papillomavirus in nongenital cancers,” CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 57–81, 2012.
- Tatyana Isayeva, Nasser Said-Al-Naief, Zhiyong Ren, Rong Li, Douglas Gnepp, and Margaret Brandwein-Gensler, “Salivary Mucoepidermoid Carcinoma: Demonstration of Transcriptionally Active Human Papillomavirus 16/18,” Head and Neck Pathology, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 135–148, 2012.
- Vijayalakshmi Ramshankar, and Arvind Krishnamurthy, “Human Papilloma Virus in Head and Neck Cancers—Role and Relevance in Clinical Management,” Indian Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 59–66, 2012.
- Nai-Ming Cheng, Tzu-Chen Yen, Joseph Tung-Chieh Chang, Chung-Guei Huang, Din-Li Tsan, Shu-Hang Ng, Hung-Ming Wang, Chun-Ta Liao, Chien-Yu Lin, and Cheng-Lung Hsu, “Prognostic value of pretreatment18F-FDG PET/CT and human papillomavirus type 16 testing in locally advanced oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, vol. 39, no. 11, pp. 1673–1684, 2012.
- Colton Flake, Jamal Arafa, Alex Hall, Eryn Ence, Katherine Howard, and Karl Kingsley, “Screening and detection of human papillomavirus (HPV) high-risk strains HPV 16 and HPV18 in saliva samples from subjects under 18 years old in Nevada: a pilot study,” Bmc Oral Health, vol. 12, 2012.
- Tatyana Isayeva, Yufeng Li, Daniel Maswahu, and Margaret Brandwein-Gensler, “Human Papillomavirus in Non-Oropharyngeal Head and Neck Cancers: A Systematic Literature Review,” Head and Neck Pathology, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 104–120, 2012.
- Aimée R. Kreimer, “Prospects for prevention of HPV-driven oropharynx cancer,” Oral Oncology, 2013.
- Aimee R. Kreimer, Mattias Johansson, Tim Waterboer, Rudolf Kaaks, Jenny Chang-Claude, Dagmar Drogen, Anne Tjonneland, Kim Overvad, J. Ramon Quiros, Carlos A. Gonzalez, Maria Jose Sanchez, Nerea Larranaga, Carmen Navarro, Aurelio Barricarte, Ruth C. Travis, Kay-Tee Khaw, Nick Wareham, Antonia Trichopoulou, Pagona Lagiou, Dimitrios Trichopoulos, Petra H. M. Peeters, Salvatore Panico, Giovanna Masala, Sara Grioni, Rosario Tumino, Paolo Vineis, H. Bas Bueno-de-Mesquita, Goran Laurell, Goran Hallmans, Jonas Manjer, Johanna Ekstrom, Guri Skeie, Eiliv Lund, Elisabete Weiderpass, Pietro Ferrari, Graham Byrnes, Isabelle Romieu, Elio Riboli, Allan Hildesheim, Heiner Boeing, Michael Pawlita, and Paul Brennan, “Evaluation of Human Papillomavirus Antibodies and Risk of Subsequent Head and Neck Cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 31, no. 21, pp. 2708–+, 2013.
- Yuan-Chin Amy Lee, Daniela Zugna, Lorenzo Richiardi, Franco Merletti, Manuela Marron, Wolfgang Ahrens, Hermann Pohlabeln, Pagona Lagiou, Dimitrios Trichopoulos, Antonio Agudo, Xavier Castellsague, Jaroslav Betka, Ivana Holcatova, Kristina Kjaerheim, Gary J. Macfarlane, Tatiana V. Macfarlane, Renato Talamini, Luigi Barzan, Cristina Canova, Lorenzo Simonato, David I. Conway, Patricia A. McKinney, Peter Thomson, Ariana Znaor, Claire M. Healy, Bernard E. McCartan, Paolo Boffetta, Paul Brennan, and Mia Hashibe, “Smoking addiction and the risk of upper-aerodigestive-tract cancer in a multicenter case-control study,” International Journal of Cancer, 2013.
- Małgorzata Wierzbicka, Wioletta Pietruszewska, Elzbieta Puacz, Krzysztof Szyfter, Witold Szyfter, Agata Józefiak, Jarosław Szydłowski, Andrzej Marszałek, Czesław Stankiewicz, Elzbieta Hassman-Poznańska, Ewa Osuch-Wójcikiewicz, Jacek Składzien, and Janusz Klatka, “Recommendations for the diagnosis of human papilloma virus (HPV) high and low risk in the prevention and treatment of diseases of the oral cavity, pharynx and larynx. Guide of experts PTORL and KIDL,” Otolaryngologia Polska, vol. 67, no. 3, pp. 113–134, 2013.
- Loredana Radoï, Sophie Paget-Bailly, Diane Cyr, Alexandra Papadopoulos, Florence Guida, Annie Schmaus, Sylvie Cénée, Gwenn Menvielle, Matthieu Carton, Bénédicte Lapôtre-Ledoux, Patricia Delafosse, Isabelle Stücker, and Danièle Luce, “Tobacco smoking, alcohol drinking and risk of oral cavity cancer by subsite,” European Journal of Cancer Prevention, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 268–276, 2013.
- Kinjal R. Patel, Bhairavi N. Vajaria, Rasheedunnisa Begum, Ava Desai, Jayendra B. Patel, Franky D. Shah, Shilin N. Shukla, and Prabhudas S. Patel, “Prevalence of high-risk human papillomavirus type 16 and 18 in oral and cervical cancers in population from Gujarat, West India,” Journal of Oral Pathology & Medicine, 2013.
- Erin Martin, Juliet Dang, Davit Bzhalava, Joshua Stern, Zoe R. Edelstein, Laura A. Koutsky, Nancy B. Kiviat, and Qinghua Feng, “Characterization of three novel human papillomavirus types isolated from oral rinse samples of healthy individuals,” Journal of Clinical Virology, 2013.
- Nai-Ming Cheng, Yu-Hua Dean Fang, Joseph Tung-Chieh Chang, Chung-Guei Huang, Din-Li Tsan, Shu-Hang Ng, Hung-Ming Wang, Chien-Yu Lin, Chun-Ta Liao, and Tzu-Chen Yen, “Textural Features of Pretreatment F-18-FDG PET/CT Images: Prognostic Significance in Patients with Advanced T-Stage Oropharyngeal Squamous Cell Carcinoma,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 54, no. 10, pp. 1703–1709, 2013.
- Michael J. Walden, and Nafi Aygun, “Head and Neck Cancer,” Seminars in Roentgenology, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 75–86, 2013.
- Ji-Eun Oh, Jin-Hyoung Kang, Jeong-Oh Kim, Chan-Kwon Jung, Hye-Sung Won, Suk-Woo Nam, Jung-Woo Eun, Won-Sang Park, Jung-Young Shin, Xiang-Hua Zhang, and Sang-Hoon Chun, “Molecular genetic characterization of p53 mutated oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma cells transformed with human papillomavirus E6 and E7 oncogenes,” International Journal Of Oncology, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 383–393, 2013.
- Carol Box, Miriam Zimmermann, and Suzanne Eccles, “Molecular markers of response and resistance to EGFR inhibitors in head and neck cancers,” Frontiers In Bioscience-Landmark, vol. 18, pp. 520–542, 2013.
- Rosemarie Krupar, Katharina Robold, Doris Gaag, Gerrit Spanier, Marina Kreutz, Kathrin Renner, Claus Hellerbrand, Ferdinand Hofstaedter, and Anja K. Bosserhoff, “Immunologic and metabolic characteristics of HPV-negative and HPV-positive head and neck squamous cell carcinomas are strikingly different,” Virchows Archiv, 2014.
- Aimee R. Kreimer, “Prospects for prevention of HPV-driven oropharynx cancer,” Oral Oncology, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 555–559, 2014.
- Jean-Damien Combes, and Silvia Franceschi, “Role of human papillomavirus in non-oropharyngeal head and neck cancers,” Oral Oncology, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 370–379, 2014.
- Marina Merne, Jaana Rautava, Merja Ruutu, and Stina Syrjänen, “ Smokeless tobacco increases aneuploidy in oral HPV16 E6/E7-transformed keratinocytes in vitro ,” Journal of Oral Pathology & Medicine, 2014.
- Rossana Veronica Mendoza Lopez, Jose Eduardo Levi, Jose Eluf-Neto, Rosalina Jorge Koifman, Sergio Koifman, Maria Paula Curado, Pedro Michaluart-Junior, David Livingstone Alves Figueiredo, Fabiano Pinto Saggioro, Marcos Brasilino de Carvalho, Luiz Paulo Kowalski, Marcio Abrahao, Francisco de Gois-Filho, Eloiza Helena Tajara, Tim Waterboer, Paolo Boffetta, Paul Brennan, and Victor Wuensch-Filho, “Human papillomavirus (HPV) 16 and the prognosis of head and neck cancer in a geographical region with a low prevalence of HPV infection,” Cancer Causes & Control, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 461–471, 2014.
- Daniel Seoane-Mato, Nuria Aragones, Eva Ferreras, Javier Garcia-Perez, Marta Cervantes-Amat, Pablo Fernandez-Navarro, Roberto Pastor-Barriuso, and Gonzalo Lopez-Abente, “Trends in oral cavity, pharyngeal, oesophageal and gastric cancer mortality rates in Spain, 1952-2006: an age-period-cohort analysis,” Bmc Cancer, vol. 14, 2014.
- Wenyuan Zhu, Xinhua Wang, Yi Zhou, and Huiming Wang, “C2-Ceramide Induces Cell Death and Protective Autophagy in Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma Cells,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 3336–3355, 2014.
- Hai Lin, Dong Lin, and Chunquan Zheng, “Association of XPD Lys751Gln polymorphism with head and neck cancer susceptibility: evidence from 11,443 subjects,” Diagnostic Pathology, vol. 9, 2014.
- E. Lukesova, J. Boucek, E. Rotnaglova, M. Salakova, E. Koslabova, M. Grega, T. Eckschlager, B. Rihova, B. Prochazka, J. Klozar, and R. Tachezy, “High Level of Tregs Is a Positive Prognostic Marker in Patients with HPV-Positive Oral and Oropharyngeal Squamous Cell Carcinomas,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2014, pp. 1–11, 2014.