- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Oncology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 571862, 9 pages
Complex Etiology Underlies Risk and Survival in Head and Neck Cancer Human Papillomavirus, Tobacco, and Alcohol: A Case for Multifactor Disease
1Department of Epidemiology, College of Public Health, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
2Veterans Affairs Medical Center and the Department of Pathology, Carver College of Medicine, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
3Research Program Infection and Cancer, German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ), 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Received 30 July 2011; Revised 14 September 2011; Accepted 15 September 2011
Academic Editor: Adhemar Longatto-Filho
Copyright © 2012 Elaine M. Smith et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [10 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Blanca R. Ibieta-Zarco, Adela Carrillo-García, Sergio Ponce-de-León-Rosales, Martha M. Flores-Miranda, Alejandro Mohar, and Marcela Lizano, “Frequency and genotype distribution of multiple human papillomavirus infections in cancer of the head and neck in a Mexican population,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology, vol. 114, no. 3, pp. 350–357, 2012.
- Li-Ang Lee, Chung-Guei Huang, Chun-Ta Liao, Li-Yu Lee, Chuen Hsueh, Tse-Ching Chen, Chien-Yu Lin, Kang-Hsing Fan, Hung-Ming Wang, Shiang-Fu Huang, I-How Chen, Chung-Jan Kang, Sh Shu-Hang Ng, Shu-Li Yang, Kuo-Chien Tsao, Yu-Liang Chang, and Tzu-Chen Yen, “Human Papillomavirus-16 Infection in Advanced Oral Cavity Cancer Patients I s Related to an Increased Risk of Distant Metastases and Poor Survival,” Plos One, vol. 7, no. 7, 2012.
- Dan P. Zandberg, Ranjana Bhargava, Simon Badin, and Kevin J. Cullen, “The role of human papillomavirus in nongenital cancers,” CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 57–81, 2012.
- Tatyana Isayeva, Nasser Said-Al-Naief, Zhiyong Ren, Rong Li, Douglas Gnepp, and Margaret Brandwein-Gensler, “Salivary Mucoepidermoid Carcinoma: Demonstration of Transcriptionally Active Human Papillomavirus 16/18,” Head and Neck Pathology, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 135–148, 2012.
- Vijayalakshmi Ramshankar, and Arvind Krishnamurthy, “Human Papilloma Virus in Head and Neck Cancers—Role and Relevance in Clinical Management,” Indian Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 59–66, 2012.
- Colton Flake, Jamal Arafa, Alex Hall, Eryn Ence, Katherine Howard, and Karl Kingsley, “Screening and detection of human papillomavirus (HPV) high-risk strains HPV 16 and HPV18 in saliva samples from subjects under 18 years old in Nevada: a pilot study,” Bmc Oral Health, vol. 12, 2012.
- Aimée R. Kreimer, “Prospects for prevention of HPV-driven oropharynx cancer,” Oral Oncology, 2013.
- Yuan-Chin Amy Lee, Daniela Zugna, Lorenzo Richiardi, Franco Merletti, Manuela Marron, Wolfgang Ahrens, Hermann Pohlabeln, Pagona Lagiou, Dimitrios Trichopoulos, Antonio Agudo, Xavier Castellsague, Jaroslav Betka, Ivana Holcatova, Kristina Kjaerheim, Gary J. Macfarlane, Tatiana V. Macfarlane, Renato Talamini, Luigi Barzan, Cristina Canova, Lorenzo Simonato, David I. Conway, Patricia A. McKinney, Peter Thomson, Ariana Znaor, Claire M. Healy, Bernard E. McCartan, Paolo Boffetta, Paul Brennan, and Mia Hashibe, “Smoking addiction and the risk of upper-aerodigestive-tract cancer in a multicenter case-control study,” International Journal of Cancer, 2013.
- Loredana Radoï, Sophie Paget-Bailly, Diane Cyr, Alexandra Papadopoulos, Florence Guida, Annie Schmaus, Sylvie Cénée, Gwenn Menvielle, Matthieu Carton, Bénédicte Lapôtre-Ledoux, Patricia Delafosse, Isabelle Stücker, and Danièle Luce, “Tobacco smoking, alcohol drinking and risk of oral cavity cancer by subsite,” European Journal of Cancer Prevention, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 268–276, 2013.
- Michael J. Walden, and Nafi Aygun, “Head and Neck Cancer,” Seminars in Roentgenology, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 75–86, 2013.