- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Oncology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 571862, 9 pages
Complex Etiology Underlies Risk and Survival in Head and Neck Cancer Human Papillomavirus, Tobacco, and Alcohol: A Case for Multifactor Disease
1Department of Epidemiology, College of Public Health, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
2Veterans Affairs Medical Center and the Department of Pathology, Carver College of Medicine, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
3Research Program Infection and Cancer, German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ), 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Received 30 July 2011; Revised 14 September 2011; Accepted 15 September 2011
Academic Editor: Adhemar Longatto-Filho
Copyright © 2012 Elaine M. Smith et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. M. Smith, L. M. Rubenstein, T. H. Haugen, E. Hamsikova, and L. P. Turek, “Tobacco and alcohol use increases the risk of both HPV-associated and HPV-independent head and neck cancers,” Cancer Causes and Control, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 1369–1378, 2010.
- A. R. Kreimer, G. M. Clifford, P. Boyle, and S. Franceschi, “Human papillomavirus types in head and neck squamous cell carcinomas worldwide: a systemic review,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 467–475, 2005.
- M. L. Gillison, G. D'Souza, W. Westra et al., “Distinct risk factor profiles for human papillomavirus type 16-positive and human papillomavirus type 16-negative head and neck cancers,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 100, no. 6, pp. 407–420, 2008.
- K. M. Applebaum, C. S. Furniss, A. Zeka et al., “Lack of association of alcohol and tobacco with HPV16-associated head and neck cancer,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 99, no. 23, pp. 1801–1810, 2007.
- R. Herrero, X. Castellsagué, M. Pawlita et al., “Human papillomavirus and oral cancer: the international agency for research on cancer multicenter study,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 95, no. 23, pp. 1772–1783, 2003.
- E. M. Smith, M. Pawlita, L. M. Rubenstein, T. H. Haugen, E. Hamsikova, and L. P. Turek, “Risk factors and survival by HPV-16 E6 and E7 antibody status in human papillomavirus positive head and neck cancer,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 127, no. 1, pp. 111–117, 2010.
- J. P. Klussmann, E. Gültekin, S. J. Weissenborn et al., “Expression of p16 protein identifies a distinct entity of tonsillar carcinomas associated with human papillomavirus,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 162, no. 3, pp. 747–753, 2003.
- E. M. Smith, L. M. Rubenstein, J. M. Ritchie et al., “Does pretreatment seropositivity to human papillomavirus have prognostic significance for head and neck cancers?” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 2087–2096, 2008.
- T. Waterboer, P. Sehr, K. M. Michael et al., “Multiplex human papillomavirus serology based on in situ-purified glutathione S-transferase fusion proteins,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 51, no. 10, pp. 1845–1853, 2005.
- T. Waterboer, P. Sehr, and M. Pawlita, “Suppression of non-specific binding in serological Luminex assays,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 309, no. 1-2, pp. 200–204, 2006.
- P. Sehr, M. Müller, R. Höpfl, A. Widschwendter, and M. Pawlita, “HPV antibody detection by ELISA with capsid protein L1 fused to glutathione S-transferase,” Journal of Virological Methods, vol. 106, no. 1, pp. 61–70, 2002.
- K. F. Summersgill, E. M. Smith, H. L. Kirchner, T. H. Haugen, and L. P. Turek, “p53 polymorphism, human papillomavirus infection in the oral cavity, and oral cancer,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontics, vol. 90, no. 3, pp. 334–339, 2000.
- F. F. Chehab, M. Doherty, S. Cai, Y. W. Kan, S. Cooper, and E. M. Rubin, “Detection of sickle cell anaemia and thalassaemias,” Nature, vol. 329, no. 6137, pp. 293–294, 1987.
- Y. Ting and M. M. Manos, “Detection and typing of genital human papillomaviruses,” in PCR Protocols, A Guide to Methods and Applications, M. A. Innis, D. H. Gelfand, J. J. Sninsky, and T. J. White, Eds., pp. 356–367, Academic Press, Berkeley, Calif, USA, 1990.
- A. Hildesheim, M. H. Schiffman, P. E. Gravitt et al., “Persistence of type-specific human papillomavirus infection among cytologically normal women,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 169, no. 2, pp. 235–240, 1994.
- A. M. de Roda Husman, J. M. M. Walboomers, A. J. C. Van den Brule, C. J. L. M. Meijer, and P. J. F. Snijders, “The use of general primers GP5 and GP6 elongated at their 3' ends with adjacent highly conserved sequences improves human papillomavirus detection by PCR,” Journal of General Virology, vol. 76, part 4, pp. 1057–1062, 1995.
- S. F. Altschul, T. L. Madden, A. A. Schäffer et al., “Gapped BLAST and PSI-BLAST: a new generation of protein database search programs,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 25, no. 17, pp. 3389–3402, 1997.
- D. W. Hosmer and S. Lemeshow, “Confidence interval estimation of interaction,” Epidemiology, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 452–456, 1992.
- L. Kalilani and J. Atashili, “Measuring additive interaction using odds ratios,” Epidemiologic Perspectives and Innovations, vol. 3, article 5, pp. 1–10, 2006.
- K. R. Dahlstrom, J. A. Little, M. E. Zafereo, M. Lung, Q. Wei, and E. M. Sturgis, “Squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck in never smoker-never drinkers: a descriptive epidemiologic study,” Head and Neck, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 75–84, 2008.
- H. C. Hafkamp, J. J. Manni, A. Haesevoets et al., “Marked differences in survival rate between smokers and nonsmokers with HPV 16-associated tonsillar carcinomas,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 122, no. 12, pp. 2656–2664, 2008.
- C. Fakhry, W. H. Westra, S. Li et al., “Improved survival of patients with human papillomavirus-positive head and neck squamous cell carcinoma in a prospective clinical trial,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 100, no. 4, pp. 261–269, 2008.
- M. Hashibe, P. Brennan, S. Benhamou et al., “Alcohol drinking in never users of tobacco, cigarette smoking in never drinkers, and the risk of head and neck cancer: pooled analysis in the international head and neck cancer epidemiology consortium,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 99, no. 10, pp. 777–789, 2007.
- E. Rotnáglová, R. Tachezy, M. Saláková, et al., “HPV involvement in tonsillar cancer: prognostic significance and clinically relevant markers,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 129, pp. 101–110, 2010.