- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Oncology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 605076, 7 pages
Analytical Study of the Effect of the System Geometry on Photon Sensitivity and Depth of Interaction of Positron Emission Mammography
1Nuclear Medicine Department (IDICHUS), 15706 Santiago de Compostela, Spain
2Molecular Imaging Group (IDIS), 15706 Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Received 14 June 2012; Revised 6 July 2012; Accepted 9 July 2012
Academic Editor: Alvaro Ruibal
Copyright © 2012 Pablo Aguiar and Cristina Lois. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Jemal, F. Bray, M. M. Center, J. Ferlay, E. Ward, and D. Forman, “Global cancer statistics,” CA Journal, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 69–90, 2011.
- I. Khalkhali, I. Mena, and L. Diggles, “Review of imaging techniques for the diagnosis of breast cancer: a new role of prone scintimammography using technetium-99 m sestamibi,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 357–362, 1994.
- E. Warner, D. B. Plewes, R. S. Shumak et al., “Comparison of breast magnetic resonance imaging, mammography, and ultrasound for surveillance of women at high risk for hereditary breast cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 19, no. 15, pp. 3524–3531, 2001.
- L. Esserman, D. Wolverton, and N. Hylton, “Magnetic resonance imaging for primary breast cancer management: current role and new applications,” Endocrine-Related Cancer, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 141–153, 2002.
- P. A. Carney, D. L. Miglioretti, B. C. Yankaskas et al., “Individual and combined effects of age, breast density, and hormone replacement therapy use on the accuracy of screening mammography,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 138, no. 3, pp. 168–175, 2003.
- C. D. Lehman, C. Gatsonis, C. K. Kuhl et al., “MRI evaluation of the contralateral breast in women with recently diagnosed breast cancer,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 356, no. 13, pp. 1295–1303, 2007.
- L. G. Strauss and P. S. Conti, “The applications of PET in clinical oncology,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 623–648, 1991.
- W. A. Berg, K. S. Madsen, K. Schilling et al., “Breast cancer: comparative effectiveness of positron emission mammography and MR imaging in presurgical planning for the ipsilateral breast,” Radiology, vol. 258, no. 1, pp. 59–72, 2011.
- C. S. Levin and E. J. Hoffman, “Calculation of positron range and its effect on the fundamental limit of positron emission tomography system spatial resolution,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 781–799, 1999.
- P. Aguiar, M. Rafecas, J. E. Ortuno et al., “Geometrical and Monte Carlo projectors in 3D PET reconstruction,” Medical Physics, vol. 37, no. 11, pp. 5691–5702, 2010.
- J. R. Stickel and S. R. Cherry, “High-resolution PET detector design: modelling components of intrinsic spatial resolution,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 179–195, 2005.
- C. Bircher and Y. Shao, “Use of internal scintillator radioactivity to calibrate DOI function of a PET detector with a dual-ended-scintillator readout,” Medical Physics, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 777–787, 2012.
- F. Godinez, A. J. Chaudhari, Y. Yang, R. Farrell, and R. D. Badawi, “Characterization of a high-resolution hybrid DOI detector for a dedicated breast PET/CT scanner,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 7, no. 57, pp. 3435–3449, 2012.
- H. T. van Dam, S. Seifert, R. Vinke et al., “A practical method for depth of interaction determination in monolithic scintillator PET detectors,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 56, no. 13, pp. 4135–4145, 2011.
- K. M. Champley, L. R. MacDonald, T. K. Lewellen, R. S. Miyaoka, and P. E. Kinahan, “DOI-based reconstruction algorithms for a compact breast PET scanner,” Medical Physics, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 1660–1671, 2011.
- L. MacDonald, J. Edwards, T. Lewellen, D. Haseley, J. Rogers, and P. Kinahan, “Clinical imaging characteristics of the positron emission mammography camera: PEM Flex Solo II,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 50, no. 10, pp. 1666–1675, 2009.
- M. C. Abreu, P. Almeida, F. Balau et al., “Clear-PEM: adedicated pet camera for improved breast cancer detection,” Radiation Protection Dosimetry, vol. 116, no. 1–4, pp. 208–210, 2005.
- R. R. Raylman, S. Majewski, M. F. Smith et al., “The positron emission mammography/tomography breast imaging and biopsy system (PEM/PET): design, construction and phantom-based measurements,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 637–653, 2008.
- A. Soriano, A. González, A. Orero et al., “Attenuation correction without transmission scan for the MAMMI breast PET,” Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A, vol. 648, supplement 1, pp. S75–S78, 2011.
- W. W. Moses and J. Qi, “Instrumentation optimization for positron emission mammography,” Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A, vol. 527, no. 1-2, pp. 76–82, 2004.
- F. Habte, A. M. K. Foudray, P. D. Olcott, and C. S. Levin, “Effects of system geometry and other physical factors on photon sensitivity of high-resolution positron emission tomography,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 52, no. 13, pp. 3753–3772, 2007.