- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Oncology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 649498, 10 pages
Oral Cavity and Pharynx Cancer Incidence Trends by Subsite in the United States: Changing Gender Patterns
1Statistics and Epidemiology Group, RTI International, 6110 Executive Boulevard, Suite 902, Rockville, MD 20852-3907, USA
2Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Received 15 December 2011; Revised 18 January 2012; Accepted 18 January 2012
Academic Editor: Dong Moon Shin
Copyright © 2012 Linda Morris Brown et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. Howlader, A. M. Noone, M. Krapcho, et al., “SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975–2008,” National Cancer Institute, Bethedsa, Md, USA, 2011, http://www.seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2008/.
- B. A. Kohler, E. Ward, B. J. McCarthy et al., “Annual report to the nation on the status of cancer, 1975–2007, featuring tumors of the brain and other nervous system,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 103, no. 9, pp. 714–736, 2011.
- E. M. Sturgis, Q. Wei, and M. R. Spitz, “Descriptive epidemiology and risk factors for head and neck cancer,” Seminars in Oncology, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 726–733, 2004.
- S. T. Mayne, D. E. Morse, and D. M. Winn, “Cancers of the oral cavity and pharynx,” in Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention, D. Schottenfeld and J. F. Fraumeni Jr., Eds., pp. 674–696, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 2006.
- M. L. Gillison, “Human papillomavirus-associated head and neck cancer is a distinct epidemiologic, clinical, and molecular entity,” Seminars in Oncology, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 744–754, 2004.
- IARC, Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans, vol. 90 of Human Papillomaviruses, World Health Organization, International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France, 2007.
- S. Marur, G. D'Souza, W. H. Westra, and A. A. Forastiere, “HPV-associated head and neck cancer: a virus-related cancer epidemic,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 781–789, 2010.
- M. Frisch, H. Hjalgrim, A. B. Jaeger, and R. J. Biggar, “Changing patterns of tonsillar squamous cell carcinoma in the United States,” Cancer Causes and Control, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 489–495, 2000.
- C. H. Shiboski, B. L. Schmidt, and R. C. Jordan, “Tongue and tonsil carcinoma: increasing trends in the U.S. population ages 20–44 years,” Cancer, vol. 103, no. 9, pp. 1843–1849, 2005.
- J. A. Ernster, C. G. Sciotto, M. M. O'Brien et al., “Rising incidence of oropharyngeal cancer and the role of oncogenic human papilloma virus,” Laryngoscope, vol. 117, no. 12, pp. 2115–2128, 2007.
- A. K. Chaturvedi, E. A. Engels, W. F. Anderson, and M. L. Gillison, “Incidence trends for human papillomavirus-related and -unrelated oral squamous cell carcinomas in the United States,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 612–619, 2008.
- L. M. Brown, D. P. Check, and S. S. Devesa, “Oropharyngeal cancer incidence trends: diminishing racial disparities,” Cancer Causes and Control, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 753–763, 2011.
- A. K. Chaturvedi, E. A. Engels, R. M. Pfeiffer et al., “Human papillomavirus and rising oropharyngeal cancer incidence in the United States,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 29, no. 32, pp. 4294–4301, 2011.
- V. Mehta, G. P. Yu, and S. P. Schantz, “Population-based analysis of oral and oropharyngeal carcinoma: changing trends of histopathologic differentiation, survival and patient demographics,” Laryngoscope, vol. 120, no. 11, pp. 2203–2212, 2010.
- A. B. Ryerson, E. S. Peters, S. S. Coughlin et al., “Burden of potentially human papillomavirus-associated cancers of the oropharynx and oral cavity in the US, 1998–2003,” Cancer, vol. 113, no. 10, pp. 2901–2909, 2008.
- S. C. Patel, W. R. Carpenter, S. Tyree et al., “Increasing incidence of oral tongue squamous cell carcinoma in young white women, age 18 to 44 years,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 29, no. 11, pp. 1488–1494, 2011.
- Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program, “Stat Database: Incidence—SEER 13 Regs Limited-Use, Nov 2010 Sub (1992–2008) (Katrina/Rita Population Adjustment)—Linked to County Attributes—Total U.S., 1969–2009 Counties,” National Cancer Institute, DCCPS, Surveillance Research Program, Cancer Statistics Branch, April 2011.
- Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program, “Stat Database: Incidence—SEER 9 Regs Limited-Use, Nov 2010 Sub (1973–2008) (Katrina/Rita Population Adjustment)—Linked to County Attributes—Total U.S., 1969–2009 Counties,” National Cancer Institute, DCCPS, Surveillance Research Program, Cancer Statistics Branch, April 2011.
- A. Fritz, C. Percy, K. Jack, et al., International Classification of Diseases for Oncology, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 3rd edition, 2000.
- Surveillance Research Program, National Cancer Institute, Stat software, http://www.seer.cancer.gov/seerstat/.
- R. Tiwari, L. Clegg, and Z. Zou, “Efficient interval estimation for age-adjusted cancer rates,” Statistical Methods in Medical Research, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 547–569, 2006.
- S. S. Devesa, J. Donaldson, and T. Fears, “Graphical presentation of trends in rates,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 141, no. 4, pp. 300–304, 1995.
- G. D'Souza, A. R. Kreimer, R. Viscidi et al., “Case-control study of human papillomavirus and oropharyngeal cancer,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 356, no. 19, pp. 1944–1956, 2007.
- E. M. Sturgis and P. M. Cinciripini, “Trends in head and neck cancer incidence in relation to smoking prevalence: an emerging epidemic of human papillomavirus-associated cancers?” Cancer, vol. 110, no. 7, pp. 1429–1435, 2007.
- L. M. Brown, “Epidemiology of alcohol-associated cancers,” Alcohol, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 161–168, 2005.
- L. M. Brown and S. S. Devesa, “Epidemiologic trends in esophageal and gastric cancer in the United States,” Surgical Oncology Clinics of North America, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 235–256, 2002.
- M. L. Gillison, W. M. Koch, R. B. Capone et al., “Evidence for a causal association between human papillomavirus and a subset of head and neck cancers,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 92, no. 9, pp. 709–720, 2000.
- R. I. Haddad and D. M. Shin, “Recent advances in head and neck cancer,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 359, no. 11, pp. 1143–1096, 2008.
- M. L. Gillison, “Current topics in the epidemiology of oral cavity and oropharyngeal cancers,” Head and Neck, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 779–792, 2007.
- C. Fakhry, W. H. Westra, S. Li et al., “Improved survival of patients with human papillomavirus-positive head and neck squamous cell carcinoma in a prospective clinical trial,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 100, no. 4, pp. 261–269, 2008.
- G. D'Souza, H. H. Zhang, W. D. D'Souza, R. R. Meyer, and M. L. Gillison, “Moderate predictive value of demographic and behavioral characteristics for a diagnosis of HPV16-positive and HPV16-negative head and neck cancer,” Oral Oncology, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 100–104, 2010.
- D. W. Kingma, R. A. Allen, W. Moore et al., “HPV genotype distribution in oral and oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma using seven in vitro amplification assays,” Anticancer Research, vol. 30, no. 12, pp. 5099–5104, 2010.
- S. Hariri, E. R. Unger, M. Stemberg, et al., “Prevalence of genital human papillomavirus among females in the United States, the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2003-2006,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 204, no. 4, pp. 566–573, 2011.
- L. E. Markowitz, M. Sternberg, E. F. Dunne, G. McQuillan, and E. R. Unger, “Seroprevalence of human papillomavirus types 6, 11, 16, and 18 in the United States: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2003-2004,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 200, no. 7, pp. 1059–1067, 2009.
- A. Chandra, W. D. Mosher, C. Copen, and C. Sionean, “Sexual behavior, sexual attraction, and sexual identity in the United States: data from the 2006–2008 National Survey of Family Growth,” National Health Statistics Reports, vol. 3, no. 36, pp. 1–36, 2011.
- M. L. Gillison, T. Broutian, R. K. L. Pickard, et al., “Prevalence of oral HPV infection in the United States 2009-2010,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 307, no. 7, pp. 693–703, 2012.
- N. F. Saba, M. Goodman, K. Ward et al., “Gender and ethnic disparities in incidence and survival of squamous cell carcinoma of the oral tongue, base of tongue, and tonsils: a Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Results program-based analysis,” Oncology, vol. 81, no. 1, pp. 12–20, 2011.