- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Oncology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 732874, 7 pages
MicroRNAs in Human Malignant Gliomas
Department of Neurosurgery, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, 3-1-1 Maidashi, Higashi-ku, Fukuoka 812-8582, Japan
Received 16 March 2012; Revised 20 May 2012; Accepted 21 May 2012
Academic Editor: Arrigo De Benedetti
Copyright © 2012 Masahiro Mizoguchi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. S. Phillips, S. Kharbanda, R. Chen et al., “Molecular subclasses of high-grade glioma predict prognosis, delineate a pattern of disease progression, and resemble stages in neurogenesis,” Cancer Cell, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 157–173, 2006.
- R. G. W. Verhaak, K. A. Hoadley, E. Purdom et al., “Integrated genomic analysis identifies clinically relevant subtypes of glioblastoma characterized by abnormalities in PDGFRA, IDH1, EGFR, and NF1,” Cancer Cell, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 98–110, 2010.
- J. T. Huse, H. S. Phillips, and C. W. Brennan, “Molecular subclassification of diffuse gliomas: seeing order in the chaos,” Glia, vol. 59, no. 8, pp. 1190–1199, 2011.
- D. P. Bartel, “MicroRNAs: genomics, biogenesis, mechanism, and function,” Cell, vol. 116, no. 2, pp. 281–297, 2004.
- V. Ambros, “The functions of animal microRNAs,” Nature, vol. 431, no. 7006, pp. 350–355, 2004.
- A. Kozomara and S. Griffiths-Jones, “MiRBase: integrating microRNA annotation and deep-sequencing data,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. D152–D157, 2011.
- W. Filipowicz, S. N. Bhattacharyya, and N. Sonenberg, “Mechanisms of post-transcriptional regulation by microRNAs: are the answers in sight?” Nature Reviews Genetics, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 102–114, 2008.
- J. Lu, G. Getz, E. A. Miska et al., “MicroRNA expression profiles classify human cancers,” Nature, vol. 435, no. 7043, pp. 834–838, 2005.
- Network TCGAr, “Comprehensive genomic characterization defines human glioblastoma genes and core pathways,” Nature, vol. 455, no. 7216, pp. 1061–1068, 2008.
- G. A. Calin, “Frequent deletions and down-regulation of micro-RNA genes miR15 and miR16 at 13q14 in chronic lymphocytic leukemia,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 99, no. 24, pp. 15524–15529, 2002.
- G. A. Calin, “Human microRNA genes are frequently located at fragile sites and genomic regions involved in cancers,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 101, no. 9, pp. 2999–3004, 2004.
- J. A. Chan, A. M. Krichevsky, and K. S. Kosik, “MicroRNA-21 is an antiapoptotic factor in human glioblastoma cells,” Cancer Research, vol. 65, no. 14, pp. 6029–6033, 2005.
- S. A. Ciafrè, S. Galardi, A. Mangiola et al., “Extensive modulation of a set of microRNAs in primary glioblastoma,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 334, no. 4, pp. 1351–1358, 2005.
- T. Papagiannakopoulos, A. Shapiro, and K. S. Kosik, “MicroRNA-21 targets a network of key tumor-suppressive pathways in glioblastoma cells,” Cancer Research, vol. 68, no. 19, pp. 8164–8172, 2008.
- J. Godlewski, M. O. Nowicki, A. Bronisz et al., “Targeting of the Bmi-1 oncogene/stem cell renewal factor by MicroRNA-128 inhibits glioma proliferation and self-renewal,” Cancer Research, vol. 68, no. 22, pp. 9125–9130, 2008.
- T. Sasayama, M. Nishihara, T. Kondoh, K. Hosoda, and E. Kohmura, “MicroRNA-10b is overexpressed in malignant glioma and associated with tumor invasive factors, uPAR and RhoC,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 125, no. 6, pp. 1407–1413, 2009.
- Y. Chen, J. A. L. Gelfond, L. M. McManus, and P. K. Shireman, “Reproducibility of quantitative RT-PCR array in miRNA expression profiling and comparison with microarray analysis,” BMC Genomics, vol. 10, article 407, 2009.
- P. Mestdagh, P. Van Vlierberghe, A. De Weer et al., “A novel and universal method for microRNA RT-qPCR data normalization,” Genome Biology, vol. 10, no. 6, article R64, 2009.
- Y. Guan, M. Mizoguchi, K. Yoshimoto et al., “MiRNA-196 is upregulated in glioblastoma but not in anaplastic astrocytoma and has prognostic significance,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 16, no. 16, pp. 4289–4297, 2010.
- B. Malzkorn, M. Wolter, F. Liesenberg et al., “Identification and functional characterization of microRNAs involved in the malignant progression of gliomas,” Brain Pathology, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 539–550, 2010.
- H. Kim, W. Huang, X. Jiang, B. Pennicooke, P. J. Park, and M. D. Johnson, “Integrative genome analysis reveals an oncomir/oncogene cluster regulating glioblastoma survivorship,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 107, no. 5, pp. 2183–2188, 2010.
- S. A. M. Rao, V. Santosh, and K. Somasundaram, “Genome-wide expression profiling identifies deregulated miRNAs in malignant astrocytoma,” Modern Pathology, vol. 23, no. 10, pp. 1404–1417, 2010.
- S. Srinivasan, I. R. P. Patric, and K. Somasundaram, “A Ten-microRNA expression signature predicts survival in glioblastoma,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 3, Article ID e17438, 2011.
- T. M. Kim, W. Huang, R. Park, P. J. Park, and M. D. Johnson, “A developmental taxonomy of glioblastoma defined and maintained by microRNAs,” Cancer Research, vol. 71, no. 9, pp. 3387–3399, 2011.
- P. P. Medina, M. Nolde, and F. J. Slack, “OncomiR addiction in an in vivo model of microRNA-21-induced pre-B-cell lymphoma,” Nature, vol. 467, no. 7311, pp. 86–90, 2010.
- S. Volinia, G. A. Calin, C. G. Liu et al., “A microRNA expression signature of human solid tumors defines cancer gene targets,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 103, no. 7, pp. 2257–2261, 2006.
- A. Gaur, D. A. Jewell, Y. Liang et al., “Characterization of microRNA expression levels and their biological correlates in human cancer cell lines,” Cancer Research, vol. 67, no. 6, pp. 2456–2468, 2007.
- M. Bloomston, W. L. Frankel, F. Petrocca et al., “MicroRNA expression patterns to differentiate pancreatic adenocarcinoma from normal pancreas and chronic pancreatitis,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 297, no. 17, pp. 1901–1908, 2007.
- S. Yekta, I. H. Shih, and D. P. Bartel, “MicroRNA-directed cleavage of HOXB8 mRNA,” Science, vol. 304, no. 5670, pp. 594–596, 2004.
- A. Murat, E. Migliavacca, T. Gorlia et al., “Stem cell-related “self-renewal” signature and high epidermal growth factor receptor expression associated with resistance to concomitant chemoradiotherapy in glioblastoma,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 26, no. 18, pp. 3015–3024, 2008.
- N. Gaspar, L. Marshall, L. Perryman et al., “MGMT-independent temozolomide resistance in pediatric glioblastoma cells associated with a PI3-kinase-mediated HOX/stem cell gene signature,” Cancer Research, vol. 70, no. 22, pp. 9243–9252, 2010.
- R. Luthra, R. R. Singh, M. G. Luthra et al., “MicroRNA-196a targets annexin A1: a microRNA-mediated mechanism of annexin A1 downregulation in cancers,” Oncogene, vol. 27, no. 52, pp. 6667–6678, 2008.
- R. Lakomy, J. Sana, S. Hankeova et al., “MiR-195, miR-196b, miR-181c, miR-21 expression levels and O-6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase methylation status are associated with clinical outcome in glioblastoma patients,” Cancer Science, vol. 102, no. 12, pp. 2186–2190, 2011.
- G. Gabriely, M. Yi, R. S. Narayan et al., “Human glioma growth is controlled by microRNA-10b,” Cancer Research, vol. 71, no. 10, pp. 3563–3572, 2011.
- L. Ma, J. Teruya-Feldstein, and R. A. Weinberg, “Tumour invasion and metastasis initiated by microRNA-10b in breast cancer,” Nature, vol. 449, no. 7163, pp. 682–688, 2007.
- C. H. Moriarty, B. Pursell, and A. M. Mercurio, “miR-10b targets Tiam1: implications for Rac activation and carcinoma migration,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 285, no. 27, pp. 20541–20546, 2010.
- T. Papagiannakopoulos, D. Friedmann-Morvinski, P. Neveu et al., “Pro-neural miR-128 is a glioma tumor suppressor that targets mitogenic kinases,” Oncogene, vol. 31, no. 15, pp. 1884–1895, 2012.
- A. M. Krichevsky, “A microRNA array reveals extensive regulation of microRNAs during brain development,” RNA, vol. 9, no. 10, pp. 1274–1281, 2003.
- K. S. Kosik and A. M. Krichevsky, “The elegance of the microRNAs: a neuronal perspective,” Neuron, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 779–782, 2005.
- R. Stupp, W. P. Mason, M. J. van den Bent et al., “Radiotherapy plus concomitant and adjuvant temozolomide for glioblastoma,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 352, no. 10, pp. 987–996, 2005.
- T. Reya, S. J. Morrison, M. F. Clarke, and I. L. Weissman, “Stem cells, cancer, and cancer stem cells,” Nature, vol. 414, no. 6859, pp. 105–111, 2001.
- J. Silber, D. A. Lim, C. Petritsch et al., “miR-124 and miR-137 inhibit proliferation of glioblastoma multiforme cells and induce differentiation of brain tumor stem cells,” BMC Medicine, vol. 6, article 14, 2008.
- L. Yunqing, F. Guessous, Z. Ying et al., “MicroRNA-34a inhibits glioblastoma growth by targeting multiple oncogenes,” Cancer Research, vol. 69, no. 19, pp. 7569–7576, 2009.
- F. Guessous, Y. Zhang, A. Kofman et al., “microRNA-34a is tumor suppressive in brain tumors and glioma stem cells,” Cell Cycle, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 1031–1036, 2010.
- B. Kefas, L. Comeau, D. H. Floyd et al., “The neuronal microRNA miR-326 acts in a feedback loop with notch and has therapeutic potential against brain tumors,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 29, no. 48, pp. 15161–15168, 2009.