- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Oncology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 349162, 7 pages
The Use of Strontium-90 Beta Radiotherapy as Adjuvant Treatment for Conjunctival Melanoma
1Ocular Oncology Service, St Bartholomew’s Hospital and Moorfields Eye Hospital, West Smithfield, London EC1A 7BE, UK
2Radiotherapy Department, St Bartholomew’s Hospital, London EC1A 7BE, UK
Received 8 August 2012; Accepted 10 December 2012
Academic Editor: Akira Hara
Copyright © 2013 Victoria M. L. Cohen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. Damato and S. E. Coupland, “An audit of conjunctival melanoma treatment in Liverpool,” Eye, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 801–809, 2009.
- C. L. Shields, J. A. Shields, K. Gündüz et al., “Conjunctival melanoma: risk factors for recurrence, exenteration, metastasis, and death in 150 consecutive patients,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 118, no. 11, pp. 1497–1507, 2000.
- C. L. Shields, J. S. Markowitz, I. Belinsky et al., “Conjunctival melanoma: outcomes based on tumor origin in 382 consecutive cases,” Ophthalmology, vol. 118, no. 2, pp. 389–395, 2011.
- F. A. Jakobiec, F. J. Rini, F. T. Fraunfelder, and S. Brownstein, “Cryotherapy for conjunctival primary acquired melanosis and malignant melanoma. Experience with 62 cases,” Ophthalmology, vol. 95, no. 8, pp. 1058–1070, 1988.
- L. C. Ditta, Y. Shildkrot, and M. W. Wilson, “Outcomes in 15 patients with conjunctivalmelanoma treated with adjuvant topical mitomycin C: complications and recurrences,” Ophthalmology, vol. 118, no. 9, pp. 1754–1759, 2011.
- M. Zehetmayer, R. Menapace, and W. Kulnig, “Combined local excision and brachytherapy with ruthenium-106 in the treatment of epibulbar malignancies,” Ophthalmologica, vol. 207, no. 3, pp. 133–139, 1993.
- L. Krause, A. Mladenova, N. E. Bechrakis, et al., “Treatment modalities for conjunctival melanoma,” Klinische Monatsblätter für Augenheilkunde, vol. 226, no. 12, pp. 1012–1016, 2009.
- J. A. Shields, C. L. Shields, J. E. Freire, L. W. Brady, and L. Komarnicky, “Plaque radiotherapy for selected orbital malignancies: preliminary observations—the 2002 montgomery lecture, part 2,” Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 91–95, 2003.
- H. Wuestemeyer, W. Sauerwein, D. Meller et al., “Proton radiotherapy as an alternative to exenteration in the management of extended conjunctival melanoma,” Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology, vol. 244, no. 4, pp. 438–446, 2006.
- T. R. Herold and C. Hintschich, “Interferon alpha for the treatment of melanocytic conjunctivallesions,” Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology, vol. 248, no. 1, pp. 111–115, 2010.
- J. F. Kirwan, P. H. Constable, I. E. Murdoch, and P. T. Khaw, “Beta irradiation: new uses for an old treatment: a review,” Eye, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 207–215, 2003.
- “Uveal melanoma 591-610,” in GEC ESTRO Handbook of Brachytherapy, R. Potter and E. van Limbergen, Eds., 2012, http://www.estro-education.org/publications/Pages/ESTROHandbooks.aspx.
- P. K. Lommatzsch, “Beta irradiation of conjunctival melanomas,” Transactions of the Ophthalmological Societies of the United Kingdom, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 378–380, 1977.
- P. K. Lommatzsch, “Beta-Ray treatment of malignant epibulbarmelanoma,” Albrecht von Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology, vol. 209, no. 2, pp. 111–124, 1978.
- L. Krause, C. Ritter, J. Wachtlin, et al., “Recurrence rate following adjuvant strontium-90 brachytherapy after excision of conjunctivalmelanoma,” Klinische Monatsblätter für Augenheilkunde, vol. 225, no. 7, pp. 649–652, 2008.
- G. Missotten, R. J. W. De Keizer, W. Spileers, et al., “Strontium brachytherapy in conjunctival melanoma (abstract),” Acta Ophthalmol, vol. 89, article S248, 2011.
- G. Missoten, M. J. Tassignon, and R. J. X. De Kaizer, “Strontium brachytherapy in conjunctival melanoma(abstract). SBO-BOG,” 2008, http://www.ophthalmologia.be/plugins/abstracts/view_abstract.php?abs_id=1402.
- J. J. Khong and J. Muecke, “Complications of mitomycin C therapy in 100 eyes with ocular surface neoplasia,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 90, no. 7, pp. 819–822, 2006.
- H. C. Russell, V. Chadha, D. Lockington, and E. G. Kemp, “Topical mitomycin C chemotherapy in the management of ocular surface neoplasia: a 10-year review of treatment outcomes and complications,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 94, no. 10, pp. 1316–1321, 2010.
- P. T. Finger, G. Czechonska, and S. Liarikos, “Topical mitomycin C chemotherapy for conjunctival melanoma and PAM with atypia,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 82, no. 5, pp. 476–479, 1998.
- H. Westekemper, G. Anastassiou, W. Sauerwein et al., “Analysis of ocular surface alterations following proton beam radiation in eyes with conjunctival malignant melanoma,” Ophthalmologe, vol. 103, no. 7, pp. 588–595, 2006.