- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Oncology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 964863, 7 pages
Which Imaging Modality Is Superior for Prediction of Response to Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy in Patients with Triple Negative Breast Cancer?
1Department of Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 S. Euclid Avenue, Campus Box 8109, St. Louis, MO 63110, USA
2Department of Radiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO 63110, USA
3Department of Surgery, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
4Division of Biostatistics, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO 63110, USA
Received 25 October 2012; Revised 16 December 2012; Accepted 14 January 2013
Academic Editor: Gunter Von Minckwitz
Copyright © 2013 Jordan J. Atkins et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Ismail-Khan and M. M. Bui, “A review of triple-negative breast cancer,” Cancer Control, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 173–176, 2010.
- E. A. Rakha, M. E. El-Sayed, A. R. Green, A. H. S. Lee, J. F. Robertson, and I. O. Ellis, “Prognostic markers in triple-negative breast cancer,” Cancer, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 25–32, 2007.
- T. C. de Ruijter, J. Veeck, J. P. J. de Hoon, M. van Engeland, and V. C. Tjan-Heijnen, “Characteristics of triple-negative breast cancer,” Journal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology, vol. 137, no. 2, pp. 183–192, 2011.
- N. U. Lin, A. Vanderplas, M. E. Hughes, et al., “Clinicopathological features and sites of recurrence according to breast cancer subtype in the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN),” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 15, supplement, abstract 543, 2009.
- C. M. Perou, T. Sørile, M. B. Eisen et al., “Molecular portraits of human breast tumours,” Nature, vol. 406, no. 6797, pp. 747–752, 2000.
- J. M. Dolle, J. R. Daling, E. White et al., “Risk factors for triple-negative breast cancer in women under the age of 45 years,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 1157–1166, 2009.
- R. C. Millikan, B. Newman, C. K. Tse et al., “Epidemiology of basal-like breast cancer,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 123–139, 2008.
- L. A. Carey, C. M. Perou, C. A. Livasy et al., “Race, breast cancer subtypes, and survival in the Carolina Breast Cancer Study,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 295, no. 21, pp. 2492–2502, 2006.
- T. Sorlie, R. Tibshirani, J. Parker, et al., “Repeated observation of breast tumor subtypes in independent gene expression data sets,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 100, no. 14, pp. 8418–8423, 2003.
- D. M. Abd El-Rehim, G. Ball, S. E. Finder et al., “High-throughput protein expression analysis using tissue microarray technology of a large well-characterised series identifies biologically distinct classes of breast cancer confirming recent cDNA expression analyses,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 116, no. 3, pp. 340–350, 2005.
- M. Tischkowitz, J. S. Brunet, L. R. Bégin et al., “Use of immunohistochemical markers can refine prognosis in triple negative breast cancer,” BMC Cancer, vol. 7, article 134, 2007.
- R. Dent, M. Trudeau, K. I. Pritchard et al., “Triple-negative breast cancer: clinical features and patterns of recurrence,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 13, no. 15, pp. 4429–4434, 2007.
- L. G. Fulford, D. F. Easton, J. S. Reis-Filho et al., “Specific morphological features predictive for the basal phenotype in grade 3 invasive ductal carcinoma of breast,” Histopathology, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 22–34, 2006.
- L. N. Harris, G. Broadwater, N. U. Lin et al., “Molecular subtypes of breast cancer in relation to paclitaxel response and outcomes in women with metastatic disease: results from CALGB 9342,” Breast Cancer Research, vol. 8, no. 6, article R66, 2006.
- D. Mauri, N. Pavlidis, and J. P. A. Ioannidis, “Neoadjuvant versus adjuvant systemic treatment in breast cancer: a meta-analysis,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 188–194, 2005.
- C. Liedtke, C. Mazouni, K. R. Hess et al., “Response to neoadjuvant therapy and long-term survival in patients with triple-negative breast cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 1275–1281, 2008.
- R. Rouzier, C. M. Perou, W. F. Symmans et al., “Breast cancer molecular subtypes respond differently to preoperative chemotherapy,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 11, no. 16, pp. 5678–5685, 2005.
- W. T. Yang, W. W. M. Lam, H. Cheung, M. Suen, W. W. K. King, and C. Metreweli, “Sonographic, magnetic resonance imaging, and mammographic assessments of preoperative size of breast cancer,” Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 791–797, 1997.
- H. P. Sinn, H. Schmid, H. Junkermann et al., “Histological regression of breast cancer after primary (neoadjuvant) chemotherapy,” Geburtshilfe und Frauenheilkunde, vol. 54, no. 10, pp. 552–558, 1994.
- M. H. El-Didi, M. M. Moneer, H. M. Khaled, and S. Makarem, “Pathological assessment of the response of locally advanced breast cancer to neoadjuvant chemotherapy and its implications for surgical management,” Surgery Today, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 249–254, 2000.
- S. Huber, M. Medl, M. Vesely, H. Czembirek, I. Zuna, and S. Delorme, “Ultrasonographic tissue characterization in monitoring tumor response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in locally advanced breast cancer (work in progress),” Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 677–686, 2000.
- W. T. Yang, M. Dryden, K. Broglio et al., “Mammographic features of triple receptor-negative primary breast cancers in young premenopausal women,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 111, no. 3, pp. 405–410, 2008.
- J. Herrada, R. B. Iyer, E. N. Atkinson, N. Sneige, A. U. Buzdar, and G. N. Hortobagyi, “Relative value of physical examination, mammography, and breast sonography in evaluating the size of the primary tumor and regional lymph node metastases in women receiving neoadjuvant chemotherapy for locally advanced breast carcinoma,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 3, no. 9, pp. 1565–1569, 1997.
- M. A. Helvie, L. K. Joynt, R. L. Cody, L. J. Pierce, D. D. Adler, and S. D. Merajver, “Locally advanced breast carcinoma: accuracy of mammography versus clinical examination in the prediction of residual disease after chemotherapy,” Radiology, vol. 198, no. 2, pp. 327–332, 1996.
- J. D. Keune, D. B. Jeffe, M. Schootman, A. Hoffman, W. E. Gillanders, and R. L. Aft, “Accuracy of ultrasonography and mammography in predicting pathologic response after neoadjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer,” The American Journal of Surgery, vol. 199, no. 4, pp. 477–484, 2010.
- S. Huber, M. Wagner, I. Zuna, M. Medl, H. Czembirek, and S. Delorme, “Locally advanced breast carcinoma: evaluation of mammography in the prediction of residual disease after induction chemotherapy,” Anticancer Research, vol. 20, no. 1B, pp. 553–558, 2000.
- L. J. Esserman, N. Hylton, L. Yassa, J. Barclay, S. Frankel, and E. Sickles, “Utility of magnetic resonance imaging in the management of breast cancer: evidence for improved preoperative staging,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 110–119, 1999.
- P. Belli, M. Costantini, C. Malaspina, A. Magistrelli, G. LaTorre, and L. Bonomo, “MRI accuracy in residual disease evaluation in breast cancer patients treated with neoadjuvant chemotherapy,” Clinical Radiology, vol. 61, no. 11, pp. 946–953, 2006.
- S. C. Partridge, J. E. Gibbs, Y. Lu, L. J. Esserman, D. Sudilovsky, and N. M. Hylton, “Accuracy of MR imaging for revealing residual breast cancer in patients who have undergone neoadjuvant chemotherapy,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 179, no. 5, pp. 1193–1199, 2002.
- M. S. Kwong, G. G. Chung, L. J. Horvath et al., “Postchemotherapy MRI overestimates residual disease compared with histopathology in responders to neoadjuvant therapy for locally advanced breast cancer,” Cancer Journal, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 212–221, 2006.
- V. Guarneri, A. Pecchi, F. Piacentini, et al., “Magnetic resonancy imaging and ultrasonography in predicting infiltrating residual disease after preoperative chemotherapy in Stage II–III breast cancer,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 2150–2157, 2011.
- E. Yeh, P. Slanetz, D. B. Kopans et al., “Prospective comparison of mammography, sonography, and MRI in patients undergoing neoadjuvant chemotherapy for palpable breast cancer,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 184, no. 3, pp. 868–877, 2005.