- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 172073, 6 pages
Impact of Regular Exercise and Attempted Weight Loss on Quality of Life among Adults with and without Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus
1Midwestern Endocrinology, Overland Park, KS 66211, USA
2Strategic Healthcare Solutions, LLC, P.O. Box 543, Monkton, MD 21111 , USA
3Department of Health Economics and Outcomes Research, AstraZeneca LP, Wilmington, DE 19850, USA
Received 21 May 2010; Accepted 1 September 2010
Academic Editor: Neil King
Copyright © 2011 Andrew J. Green et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- International Diabetes Federation, “Diabetes Atlas,” 3rd edition, April 2010, http://www.diabetesatlas.org/content/diabetes-and-impaired-glucose-tolerance.
- American Diabetes Association, “Diabetes statistics,” April 2010, http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diabetes-statistics.
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, “Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults: the Evidence Report,” NIH Publication 98-4083, NIH, 1998.
- World Health Organization, “Global strategy on diet, physical activity, and health,” April 2010, http://www.who.int/dietphysicalactivity/publications/facts/en/.
- S. Z. Yanovski, “Overweight, obesity, and health risk: National Task Force on the Prevention and Treatment of Obesity,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 160, no. 7, pp. 898–904, 2000.
- A. H. Mokdad, B. A. Bowman, E. S. Ford, F. Vinicor, J. S. Marks, and J. P. Koplan, “The continuing epidemics of obesity and diabetes in the United States,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 286, no. 10, pp. 1195–1200, 2001.
- American Diabetes Association, “Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes—2010,” Diabetes Care, vol. 33 supplement 1, pp. S11–S61, 2010.
- A. J. Green, D. D. Bazata, K. M. Fox, and S. Grandy, “Health-related behaviours of people with diabetes and those with cardiometabolic risk factors: results from SHIELD,” International Journal of Clinical Practice, vol. 61, no. 11, pp. 1791–1797, 2007.
- D. D. Bazata, J. G. Robinson, K. M. Fox, and S. Grandy, “Affecting behavior change in individuals with diabetes. Findings from the study to help improve early evaluation and management of risk factors leading to diabetes (SHIELD),” Diabetes Educator, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 1025–1036, 2008.
- H. E. Bays, R. H. Chapman, and S. Grandy, “The relationship of body mass index to diabetes mellitus, hypertension and dyslipidaemia: comparison of data from two national surveys,” International Journal of Clinical Practice, vol. 61, no. 5, pp. 737–747, 2007.
- H. E. Bays, D. D. Bazata, N. G. Clark et al., “Prevalence of self-reported diagnosis of diabetes mellitus and associated risk factors in a national survey in the US population: SHIELD (Study to Help Improve Early evaluation and management of risk factors Leading to Diabetes),” BMC Public Health, vol. 7, article no. 277, 2007.
- US Census Bureau, Annual Supplement to the Current Population Survey: Census Bureau Resident Population Estimates of the United States, US Census Bureau, Washington, DC, USA, 2003.
- J. E. Ware, M. Kosinski, and J. E. Dewey, How to Score Version of the SF-36 Health Survey, QualityMetric, Lincoln, RI, USA, 2000.
- S. Grandy, R. H. Chapman, and K. M. Fox, “Quality of life and depression of people living with type 2 diabetes mellitus and those at low and high risk for type 2 diabetes: findings from the Study to Help Improve Early evaluation and management of risk factors Leading to Diabetes (SHIELD),” International Journal of Clinical Practice, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 562–568, 2008.
- F. A. Luscombe, “Health-related quality of life measurement in type 2 diabetes,” Value in Health, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. S15–S28, 2000.
- K. Watkins and C. M. Connell, “Measurement of health-related QOL in diabetes mellitus,” PharmacoEconomics, vol. 22, no. 17, pp. 1109–1126, 2004.
- F. Mo, H. Morrison, B. C. K. Choi, and L. Vardy, “Evaluation and measurement of health-related quality of life for individuals with diabetes mellitus by Health Utilities Index Mark 3 (HUI3) system,” TheScientificWorldJournal, vol. 6, pp. 1412–1423, 2006.
- W. Schlotz, P. Ambery, H. E. Syddall et al., “Specific associations of insulin resistance with impaired health-related quality of life in the Hertfordshire cohort study,” Quality of Life Research, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 429–436, 2007.
- A. W. Jackson, J. R. Morrow Jr., H. R. Bowles, S. J. Fitzgerald, and S. N. Blair, “Construct validity evidence for single-response items to estimate physical activity levels in large sample studies,” Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 24–31, 2007.
- M. Aadahl, M. Kjær, J. H. Kristensen, B. Mollerup, and T. Jørgensen, “Self-reported physical activity compared with maximal oxygen uptake in adults,” European Journal of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 422–428, 2007.
- N. Orsini, R. Bellocco, M. Bottai et al., “Validity of self-reported total physical activity questionnaire among older women,” European Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 23, no. 10, pp. 661–667, 2008.
- H. Besson, S. Brage, R. W. Jakes, U. Ekelund, and N. J. Wareham, “Estimating physical activity energy expenditure, sedentary time, and physical activity intensity by self-report in adults,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 106–114, 2010.