- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 218250, 10 pages
Obesity and Cancer Screening according to Race and Gender
1Department of Family and Community Medicine, Christiana Care Health System, 1400 North Washington Street, Room 328, Wilmington, DE 19801, USA
2Department of Family and Community Medicine, Jefferson Medical College, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
3Division of Population Science, Department of Medical Oncology, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
4Helen F. Graham Cancer Center, Christiana Care Health System, Newark, DE 19713, USA
Received 2 August 2011; Accepted 24 October 2011
Academic Editor: Francesco Saverio Papadia
Copyright © 2011 Heather Bittner Fagan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- American Cancer Society, Cancer Facts and Figures 2007, American Cancer Society, Atlanta, Ga, USA, 2007.
- E. E. Calle, C. Rodriguez, K. Walker-Thurmond, and M. J. Thun, “Overweight, obesity, and mortality from cancer in a prospectively studied cohort of U.S. Adults,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 348, no. 17, pp. 1625–1638, 2003.
- W. C. Buschemeyer III and S. J. Freedland, “Obesity and prostate cancer: epidemiology and clinical implications,” European Urology, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 331–343, 2007.
- A. Nelson, “Unequal treatment: confronting racial and ethnic disparities in health care,” Journal of the National Medical Association, vol. 94, no. 8, pp. 666–668, 2002.
- E. Ward, A. Jemal, V. Cokkinides et al., “Cancer disparities by race/ethnicity and socioeconomic status,” Ca-A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 78–93, 2004.
- American Cancer Society, Colorectal Cancer Facts and Figures 2008–2010, American Cancer Society, Atlanta, Ga, USA, 2008.
- C. L. Ogden, M. D. Carroll, L. R. Curtin, M. A. McDowell, C. J. Tabak, and K. M. Flegal, “Prevalence of overweight and obesity in the United States, 1999–2004,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 295, no. 13, pp. 1549–1555, 2006.
- J. M. Gill, H. B. Fagan, B. Townsend, and A. G. Mainous, “Impact of providing a medical home to the uninsured: evaluation of a statewide program,” Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 515–535, 2005.
- C. D. Scales Jr., L. H. Curtis, R. D. Norris, K. A. Schulman, P. Dahm, and J. W. Moul, “Relationship between body mass index and prostate cancer screening in the United States,” Journal of Urology, vol. 177, no. 2, pp. 493–498, 2007.
- J. H. Fowke, L. B. Signorello, W. Underwood III, F. A. M. Ukoli, and W. J. Blot, “Obesity and prostate cancer screening among African-American and Causian men,” Prostate, vol. 66, no. 13, pp. 1371–1380, 2006.
- K. R. Fontaine, M. Heo, and D. B. Allison, “Obesity and prostate cancer screening in the USA,” Public Health, vol. 119, no. 8, pp. 694–698, 2005.
- J. M. Ferrante, P. H. Chen, B. F. Crabtree, and D. Wartenberg, “Cancer screening in women. Body mass index and adherence to physician recommendations,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 525–531, 2007.
- J. M. Ferrante, P. H. Chen, and A. Jacobs, “Breast and cervical cancer screening in obese minority women,” Journal of Women's Health, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 531–541, 2006.
- C. C. Wee, R. S. Phillips, and E. P. McCarthy, “BMI and cervical cancer screening among white, African-American, and hispanic women in the United States,” Obesity Research, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 1275–1280, 2005.
- C. C. Wee, E. P. McCarthy, R. B. Davis, and R. S. Phillips, “Screening for cervical and breast cancer: is obesity an unrecognized barrier to preventive care?” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 132, no. 9, pp. 697–704, 2000.
- K. Zhu, H. Wu, I. Jatoi, J. Potter, and C. Shriver, “Body mass index and use of mammography screening in the United States,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 381–385, 2006.
- C. C. Wee, E. P. McCarthy, R. B. Davis, and R. S. Phillips, “Obesity and breast cancer screening,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 324–331, 2004.
- American Cancer Society, Cancer Prevention and Early Detection Facts and Figures 2008, American Cancer Society, Atlanta, Ga, USA, 2008.
- A. F. Jerant, J. J. Fenton, and P. Franks, “Determinants of racial/ethnic colorectal cancer screening disparities,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 168, no. 12, pp. 1317–1324, 2008.
- American Cancer Society, Cancer Prevention and Early Detection Facts and Figures 2009, American Cancer Society, Atlanta, Ga, USA, 2009.
- American Cancer Society, Cancer Prevention and Early Detection Facts and Figures 2010, 2011.
- V. W. Chang, D. A. Asch, and R. M. Werner, “Quality of care among obese patients,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 303, no. 13, pp. 1274–1281, 2010.
- R. Banerjea, P. Findley, and U. Sambamoorthi, “Disparities in preventive care by body mass index categories among women,” Women and Health, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 1–17, 2008.
- R. S. Mitchell, R. S. Padwal, A. W. Chuck, and S. W. Klarenbach, “Cancer screening among the overweight and obese in Canada,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 127–132, 2008.
- H. Wu, K. Zhu, M. Shah, R. J. Lipnick, and T.-C. Kao, “BMI and cervical cancer screening among white, African-American, and hispanic women in the United States,” Obesity, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 526–527, 2006.
- N. K. Amy, A. Aalborg, P. Lyons, and L. Keranen, “Barriers to routine gynecological cancer screening for White and African-American obese women,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 147–155, 2006.
- T. Østbye, D. H. Taylor Jr., W. S. Yancy Jr., and K. M. Krause, “Associations between obesity and receipt of screening mammography, papanicolaou tests, and influenza vaccination: Results from the Health and Retirement Study (HRS) and the Asset and Health Dynamics Among the Oldest Old (AHEAD) Study,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 95, no. 9, pp. 1623–1630, 2005.
- G. D. Datta, G. A. Colditz, I. Kawachi, S. V. Subramanian, J. R. Palmer, and L. Rosenberg, “Individual-, neighborhood-, and state-level socioeconomic predictors of cervical carcinoma screening among U.-S. black women: a multilevel analysis,” Cancer, vol. 106, no. 3, pp. 664–669, 2006.
- S. S. Coughlin, R. J. Uhler, H. I. Hall, and P. A. Briss, “Nonadherence to breast and cervical cancer screening: what are the linkages to chronic disease risk?” Preventing Chronic Disease, vol. 1, no. 1, p. A04, 2004.
- K. R. Fontaine, M. Heo, and D. B. Allison, “Body weight and cancer screening among women,” Journal of Women's Health and Gender-Based Medicine, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 463–470, 2001.
- K. R. Fontaine, M. S. Faith, D. B. Allison, and L. J. Cheskin, “Body weight and health care among women in the general population,” Archives of Family Medicine, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 381–384, 1998.
- K. J. Muus, T. Baker-Demaray, L. R. McDonald et al., “Body mass index and cancer screening in older American Indian and Alaska Native men,” Journal of Rural Health, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 104–108, 2009.
- L. L. Adams-Campbell, K. Makambi, C. P. Mouton, J. R. Palmer, and L. Rosenberg, “Colonoscopy utilization in the black women's health study,” Journal of the National Medical Association, vol. 102, no. 3, pp. 237–242, 2010.
- L. A. Leone, M. K. Campbell, J. A. Satia, J. Michael Bowling, and M. P. Pignone, “Race moderates the relationship between obesity and colorectal cancer screening in women,” Cancer Causes and Control, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 373–385, 2010.
- A. S. James, L. Leone, M. L. Katz, L. H. McNeill, and M. K. Campbell, “Multiple health behaviors among overweight, class i obese, and class ii obese persons,” Ethnicity and Disease, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 157–162, 2008.
- J. M. Ferrante, P. Ohman-Strickland, S. V. Hudson, K. A. Hahn, J. G. Scott, and B. F. Crabtree, “Colorectal cancer screening among obese versus non-obese patients in primary care practices,” Cancer Detection and Prevention, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 459–465, 2006.
- M. Menis, B. Kozlovsky, P. Langenberg et al., “Body mass index and up-to-date colorectal cancer screening among Marylanders aged 50 years and older,” Preventing Chronic Disease, vol. 3, no. 3, p. A88, 2006.
- D. Vlahov, J. Ahern, T. Vazquez et al., “Racial/ethnic differences in screening for colon cancer: report from the New York cancer project,” Ethnicity and Disease, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 76–83, 2005.
- M. Heo, D. B. Allison, and K. R. Fontaine, “Overweight, obesity, and colorectal cancer screening: disparity between men and women,” BMC Public Health, vol. 4, article 53, 2004.
- A. B. Rosen and E. C. Schneider, “Colorectal cancer screening disparities related to obesity and gender,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 332–338, 2004.
- L. C. Seeff, M. R. Nadel, C. N. Klabunde et al., “Patterns and predictors of colorectal cancer test use in the adult U.S. population,” Cancer, vol. 100, no. 10, pp. 2093–2103, 2004.
- M. L. Slattery, A. Y. Kinney, and T. R. Levin, “Factors associated with colorectal cancer screening in a population-based study: the impact of gender, health care source, and time,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 276–283, 2004.
- A. Chao, C. J. Connell, V. Cokkinides, E. J. Jacobs, E. E. Calle, and M. J. Thun, “Underuse of screening sigmoidoscopy and colonoscopy in a large cohort of US adults,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 94, no. 10, pp. 1775–1781, 2004.
- S. S. Cohen, R. T. Palmieri, S. J. Nyante et al., “A review: obesity and screening for breast, cervical, and colorectal cancer in women,” Cancer, vol. 112, no. 9, pp. 1892–1904, 2008.
- M. M. Amonkar and S. Madhavan, “Compliance rates and predictors of cancer screening recommendations among Appalachian women,” Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 443–460, 2002.
- E. J. Simoes, C. J. Newschaffer, N. Hagdrup et al., “Predictors of compliance with recommended cervical cancer screening schedule: a population-based study,” Journal of Community Health, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 115–130, 1999.
- B. Levin, D. A. Lieberman, B. McFarland et al., “Screening and surveillance for the early detection of colorectal cancer and adenomatous polyps, 2008: a joint guideline from the American Cancer Society, the US Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer, and the American College of Radiology,” Gastroenterology, vol. 134, no. 5, pp. 1570–1595, 2008.
- C. C. Wee, E. P. McCarthy, and R. S. Phillips, “Factors associated with colon cancer screening: the role of patient factors and physician counseling,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 23–29, 2005.
- M. Bazargan, C. Ani, S. Bazargan-Hejazi, R. S. Baker, and R. Bastani, “Colorectal cancer screening among underserved minority population: discrepancy between physicians' recommended, scheduled, and completed tests,” Patient Education and Counseling, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. 240–247, 2009.
- E. N. Zayat, K. R. Fontaine, and L. J. Cheskin, “Use of preventive health care services by patients with obesity,” Obesity Research, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 223–226, 1999.
- C. L. Olson, H. D. Schumaker, and B. P. Yawn, “Overweight women delay medical care,” Archives of Family Medicine, vol. 3, no. 10, pp. 888–892, 1994.
- S. C. Larsson and A. Wolk, “Obesity and colon and rectal cancer risk: a meta-analysis of prospective studies,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 86, no. 3, pp. 556–565, 2007.
- A. A. Moghaddam, M. Woodward, and R. Huxley, “Obesity and risk of colorectal cancer: a meta-analysis of 31 studies with 70,000 events,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 2533–2547, 2007.
- L. A. Anderson, A. A. Eyler, D. A. Galuska, D. R. Brown, and R. C. Brownson, “Relationship of satisfaction with body size and trying to lose weight in a national survey of overweight and obese women aged 40 and older, United States,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 390–396, 2002.
- M. L. Fitzgibbon, L. R. Blackman, and M. E. Avellone, “The relationship between body image discrepancy and body mass index across ethnic groups,” Obesity Research, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 582–589, 2000.
- J. S. Haas, G. Fitzmaurice, P. Brawarsky et al., “Association of regional variation in primary care physicians' colorectal cancer screening recommendations with individual use of colorectal cancer screening,” Preventing Chronic Disease, vol. 4, no. 4, p. A90, 2007.
- C. H. Brouse, R. L. Wolf, and C. E. Basch, “Facilitating factors for colorectal cancer screening,” Journal of Cancer Education, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 26–31, 2008.
- I. T. Zajac, A. H. Whibley, S. R. Cole et al., “Endorsement by the primary care practitioner consistently improves participation in screening for colorectal cancer: a longitudinal analysis,” Journal of Medical Screening, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 19–24, 2010.
- S. S. Coughlin and T. Thompson, “Physician recommendation for colorectal cancer screening by race, ethnicity, and health insurance status among men and women in the United States, 2000,” Health Promotion Practice, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 369–378, 2005.
- P. Brawarsky, D. R. Brooks, L. A. Mucci, and P. A. Wood, “Effect of physician recommendation and patient adherence on rates of colorectal cancer testing,” Cancer Detection and Prevention, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 260–268, 2004.
- S. A. Fox, P. J. Murata, and J. A. Stein, “The impact of physician compliance on screening mammography for older women,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 151, no. 1, pp. 50–56, 1991.
- K. E. Grady, J. P. Lemkau, J. M. McVay, and S. T. Reisine, “The importance of physician encouragement in breast cancer screening of older women,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 766–780, 1992.
- R. R. Love, R. L. Brown, J. E. Davis, L. J. Baumann, S. A. Fontana, and L. A. Sanner, “Frequency and determinants of screening for breast cancer in primary care group practice,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 153, no. 18, pp. 2113–2117, 1993.
- D. S. May, C. I. Kiefe, E. Funkhouser, and M. N. Fouad, “Compliance with mammography guidelines: physician recommendation and patient adherence,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 386–394, 1999.
- J. H. Price, S. M. Desmond, R. A. Krol, F. F. Snyder, and J. K. O'Connell, “Family practice physicians' beliefs, attitudes, and practices regarding obesity,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 339–345, 1987.
- K. D. Bertakis and R. Azari, “The impact of obesity on primary care visits,” Obesity Research, vol. 13, no. 9, pp. 1615–1623, 2005.