- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 394658, 8 pages
Impact of Orlistat-Induced Weight Loss on Diastolic Function and Heart Rate Variability in Severely Obese Subjects with Diabetes
Institut Universitaire de Cardiologie et de Pneumologie de Québec (IUCPQ), 2725 Chemin Ste-Foy, QC, Canada G1V 4G5
Received 20 May 2010; Accepted 21 November 2010
Academic Editor: Luc F. Van Gaal
Copyright © 2011 Julie Martin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Poirier, T. D. Giles, G. A. Bray et al., “Obesity and cardiovascular disease: pathophysiology, evaluation, and effect of weight loss: an update of the 1997 American Heart Association Scientific Statement on obesity and heart disease from the Obesity Committee of the Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism,” Circulation, vol. 113, no. 6, pp. 898–918, 2006.
- H. R. Peterson, M. Rothschild, C. R. Weinberg, R. D. Fell, K. R. McLeish, and M. A. Pfeifer, “Body fat and the activity of the autonomic nervous sytem,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 318, no. 17, pp. 1077–1083, 1988.
- J. Hirsch, R. L. Leibel, R. Mackintosh, and A. Aguirre, “Heart rate variability as a measure of autonomic function during weight change in humans,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 261, no. 6, part 2, pp. R1418–R1423, 1991.
- K. Karason, H. Mølgaard, J. Wikstrand, and L. Sjöström, “Heart rate variability in obesity and the effect of weight loss,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 83, no. 8, pp. 1242–1247, 1999.
- E. Bobbioni-Harsch, J. Sztajzel, V. Barthassat et al., “The effect of insulin on cardiac autonomic balance predicts weight reduction after gastric bypass,” Diabetologia, vol. 48, no. 7, pp. 1258–1263, 2005.
- Y. Akehi, H. Yoshimatsu, M. Kurokawa et al., “VLCD-induced weight loss improves heart rate variability in moderately obese Japanese,” Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 226, no. 5, pp. 440–445, 2001.
- P. Poirier, T. L. Hernandez, K. M. Weil, T. J. Shepard, and R. H. Eckel, “Impact of diet-induced weight loss on the cardiac autonomic nervous system in severe obesity,” Obesity Research, vol. 11, no. 9, pp. 1040–1047, 2003.
- M. Facchini, G. Malfatto, L. Sala et al., “Changes of autonomic cardiac profile after a 3-week integrated body weight reduction program in severely obese patients,” Journal of Endocrinological Investigation, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 138–142, 2003.
- P. Rissanen, A. Franssila-Kallunki, and A. Rissanen, “Cardiac parasympathetic activity is increased by weight loss in healthy obese women,” Obesity Research, vol. 9, no. 10, pp. 637–643, 2001.
- M. A. Alpert, C. R. Lambert, H. Panayiotou et al., “Relation of duration of morbid obesity to left ventricular mass, systolic function, and diastolic filling, and effect of weight loss,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 76, no. 16, pp. 1194–1197, 1995.
- L. Backman, U. Freyschuss, D. Hallberg, and A. Melcher, “Reversibility of cardiovascular changes in extreme obesity. Effects of weight reduction through jejunoileostomy,” Acta Medica Scandinavica, vol. 205, no. 5, pp. 367–373, 1979.
- M. A. Alpert, C. R. Lambert, B. E. Terry et al., “Effect of weight loss on left ventricular mass in nonhypertensive morbidly obese patients,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 73, no. 12, pp. 918–921, 1994.
- H. J. Willens, S. C. Chakko, P. Byers et al., “Effects of weight loss after gastric bypass on right and left ventricular function assessed by tissue doppler imaging,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 95, no. 12, pp. 1521–1524, 2005.
- O. J. Rider, J. M. Francis, M. K. Ali et al., “Beneficial cardiovascular effects of bariatric surgical and dietary weight loss in obesity,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 54, no. 8, pp. 718–726, 2009.
- S. Klein, L. E. Burke, G. A. Bray et al., “Clinical implications of obesity with specific focus on cardiovascular disease: a statement for professionals from the American Heart Association Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism,” Circulation, vol. 110, no. 18, pp. 2952–2967, 2004.
- “Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults—The Evidence Report. National Institutes of Health,” Obesity Research, vol. 6, supplement 2, pp. 51S–209S, 1998.
- N. Finer, W. P. T. James, P. G. Kopelman, M. E. J. Lean, and G. Williams, “One-year treatment of obesity: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicentre study of orlistat, a gastrointestinal lipase inhibitor,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 306–313, 2000.
- M. T. La Rovere, G. D. Pinna, R. Maestri et al., “Short-term heart rate variability strongly predicts sudden cadiac death in chronic heart failure patients,” Circulation, vol. 107, no. 4, pp. 565–570, 2003.
- M. M. Redfield, S. J. Jacobsen, J. C. Burnett, D. W. Mahoney, K. R. Bailey, and R. J. Rodeheffer, “Burden of systolic and diastolic ventricular dysfunction in the community: appreciating the scope of the heart failure epidemic,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 289, no. 2, pp. 194–202, 2003.
- P. Poirier, P. Bogaty, C. Garneau, L. Marois, and J. G. Dumesnil, “Diastolic dysfunction in normotensive men with well-controlled type 2 diabetes: importance of maneuvers in echocardiographic screening for preclinical diabetic cardiomyopathy,” Diabetes Care, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 5–10, 2001.
- P. Poirier, P. Bogaty, F. Philippon, C. Garneau, C. Fortin, and J. G. Dumesnil, “Preclinical diabetic cardiomyopathy: relation of left ventricular diastolic dysfunction to cardiac autonomic neuropathy in men with uncomplicated well-controlled type 2 diabetes,” Metabolism, vol. 52, no. 8, pp. 1056–1061, 2003.
- W. T. Friedewald, R. I. Levy, and D. S. Fredrickson, “Estimation of the concentration of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma, without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 499–502, 1972.
- “Guidelines from the Canadian Cardiovascular Society and the Canadian Hypertension Society on the echocardiographic determination of left ventricular mass. Task Force of the Echocardiography Section,” The Canadian Journal of Cardiology, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 391–395, 1995.
- D. Levy, D. D. Savage, and R. J. Garrison, “Echocardiographic criteria for left ventricular hypertrophy: the Framingham Heart Study,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 59, no. 9, pp. 956–960, 1987.
- “Heart rate variability. Standards of measurement, physiological interpretation, and clinical use. Task Force of the European Society of Cardiology and the North American Society of Pacing and Electrophysiology,” European Heart Journal, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 354–381, 1996.
- R. R. Jhaveri, K. K. Pond, T. H. Hauser et al., “Cardiac remodeling after substantial weight loss: a prospective cardiac magnetic resonance study after bariatric surgery,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 648–652, 2009.
- S. Chakko, M. Mayor, M. D. Allison, K. M. Kessler, B. J. Materson, and R. J. Myerburg, “Abnormal left ventricular diastolic filling in eccentric left ventricular hypertrophy of obesity,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 95–98, 1991.
- E. Kanoupakis, D. Michaloudis, O. Fraidakis, F. Parthenakis, P. Vardas, and J. Melissas, “Left ventricular function and cardiopulmonary performance following surgical treatment of morbid obesity,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 552–558, 2001.
- A. Alaud-din, S. Meterissian, R. Lisbona, L. D. MacLean, and R. A. Forse, “Assessment of cardiac function in patients who were morbidly obese,” Surgery, vol. 108, no. 4, pp. 809–818, 1990.
- D. H. Ryan, W. D. Johnson, V. H. Myers et al., “Nonsurgical weight loss for extreme obesity in primary care settings: results of the Louisiana Obese Subjects Study,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 170, no. 2, pp. 146–154, 2010.
- J. J. G. Martínez, F. A. Ruiz, and S. D. Candil, “Baseline serum folate level may be a predictive factor of weight loss in a morbid-obesity-management programme,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 96, no. 5, pp. 956–964, 2006.
- G. De Simone, C. Romano, C. De Caprio et al., “Effects of sibutramine-induced weight loss on cardiovascular system in obese subjects,” Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 24–30, 2005.
- L. Sjöström, A. Rissanen, T. Andersen et al., “Randomised placebo-controlled trial of orlistat for weight loss and prevention of weight regain in obese patients,” Lancet, vol. 352, no. 9123, pp. 167–172, 1998.
- J. Hauptman, C. Lucas, M. N. Boldrin, H. Collins, and K. R. Segal, “Orlistat in the long-term treatment of obesity in primary care settings,” Archives of Family Medicine, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 160–167, 2000.
- M. H. Davidson, J. Hauptman, M. DiGirolamo et al., “Weight control and risk factor reduction in obese subjects treated for 2 years with orlistat: a randomized controlled trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 281, no. 3, pp. 235–242, 1999.
- F. Lindgarde, “The effect of orlistat body weight and coronary heart disease risk profile in obese patients: the swedish multimorbidity study,” Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 248, no. 3, pp. 245–254, 2000.
- J. H. Zavoral, “Treatment with orlistat reduces cardiovascular risk in obese patients,” Journal of Hypertension, vol. 16, no. 12, part 2, pp. 2013–2017, 1998.
- P. A. Hollander, S. C. Elbein, I. B. Hirsch et al., “Role of orlistat in the treatment of obese patients with type 2 diabetes: a 1-year randomized double-blind study,” Diabetes Care, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 1288–1294, 1998.
- D. E. Kelley, L. H. Kuller, T. M. McKolanis, P. Harper, J. Mancino, and S. Kalhan, “Effects of moderate weight loss and orlistat on insulin resistance, regional adiposity, and fatty acids in type 2 diabetes,” Diabetes Care, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 33–40, 2004.
- K. Fujioka, T. B. Seaton, E. Rowe et al., “Weight loss with sibutramine improves glycaemic control and other metabolic parameters in obese patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 175–187, 2000.
- J. G. Dumesnil, C. Paulin, P. Pibarot, D. Coulombe, and M. Arsenault, “Mitral annulus velocities by Doppler tissue imaging: practical implications with regard to preload alterations, sample position, and normal values,” Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography, vol. 15, no. 10, part 2, pp. 1226–1231, 2002.