- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 482564, 9 pages
Evidence for Resistance Training as a Treatment Therapy in Obesity
Institute for Sports Medicine, Alpine Medicine and Health Tourism, University for Health Sciences, Medical Informatics and Technology, 6060 Hall in Tirol, Austria
Received 14 May 2010; Accepted 16 June 2010
Academic Editor: Eric Doucet
Copyright © 2011 Barbara Strasser and Wolfgang Schobersberger. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [19 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- C. M. Lenders, K. Gorman, A. Lim-Miller, S. Puklin, and J. Pratt, “Practical Approaches to the Treatment of Severe Pediatric Obesity,” Pediatric Clinics Of North America, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 1425–+, 2011.
- Carmen Castaneda-Sceppa, and Francisco Castaneda, “Sodium-dependent glucose transporter protein as a potential therapeutic target for improving glycemic control in diabetes,” Nutrition Reviews, vol. 69, no. 12, pp. 720–729, 2011.
- Aritz Urdampilleta, Pedro González-Muniesa, María P. Portillo, and J. Alfredo Martínez, “Usefulness of combining intermittent hypoxia and physical exercise in the treatment of obesity,” Journal of Physiology and Biochemistry, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 289–304, 2011.
- Martin Senechal, Isabelle J. Dionne, and Martin Brochu, “Dynapenic Abdominal Obesity and Metabolic Risk Factors in Adults 50 Years of Age and Older,” Journal Of Aging And Health, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 812–826, 2012.
- Wayne L. Westcott, “Resistance Training is Medicine: Effects of Strength Training on Health,” Current Sports Medicine Reports, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 209–216, 2012.
- Fernando Tadeu Trevisan Frajacomo, Marcelo Marcos Piva Demarzo, Cleverson Rodrigues Fernandes, Flávia Martinello, José Alexandre Bachur, Sérgio Akira Uyemura, Sérgio Eduardo de Andrade Perez, and Sérgio Britto Garcia, “The effects of high-intensity resistance exercise on the blood lipid profile and liver function in hypercholesterolemic hamsters,” Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 448–454, 2012.
- Gwendolyn A. Thomas, William J. Kraemer, Brett A. Comstock, Courtenay Dunn-Lewis, Jeff S. Volek, Craig R. Denegar, and Carl M. Maresh, “Effects of resistance exercise and obesity level on ghrelin and cortisol in men,” Metabolism-Clinical and Experimental, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 860–868, 2012.
- E. G. Artero, J. C. Espada-Fuentes, J. Argueelles-Cienfuegos, A. Roman, P. J. Gomez-Lopez, and A. Gutierrez, “Effects of whole-body vibration and resistance training on knee extensors muscular performance,” European Journal Of Applied Physiology, vol. 112, no. 4, pp. 1371–1378, 2012.
- Carmine Finelli, and Giovanni Tarantino, “Have guidelines addressing physical activity been established in nonalcohol ic fatty liver disease?,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 18, no. 46, pp. 6790–6800, 2012.
- Wayne L. Westcott, Caroline M. Apovian, Kimberly Puhala, Laura Corina, Rita LaRosa Loud, Scott Whitehead, Kenneth Blum, and Nicholas DiNubile, “Nutrition Programs Enhance Exercise Effects on Body Composition and Resting Blood Pressure,” Physician and Sportsmedicine, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 85–91, 2013.
- Giovanni Targher, and Christopher D. Byrne, “Diagnosis and Management of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and Its Hemostatic/Thrombotic and Vascular Complications,” Seminars In Thrombosis And Hemostasis, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 214–228, 2013.
- Mika Venojarvi, Niko Wasenius, Sirpa Manderoos, Olli J. Heinonen, Miika Hernelahti, Harri Lindholm, Jukka Surakka, Jaana Lindstrom, Sirkka Aunola, Mustafa Atalay, and Johan G. Eriksson, “Nordic walking decreased circulating chemerin and leptin concentrations in middle-aged men with impaired glucose regulation,” Annals Of Medicine, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 162–170, 2013.
- Gabrielle Aparecida Cardoso, Jocelem Mastrodi Salgado, Marcelo de Castro Cesar, and Carlos Mario Donado-Pestana, “The Effects of Green Tea Consumption and Resistance Training on Body Composition and Resting Metabolic Rate in Overweight or Obese Women,” Journal of Medicinal Food, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 120–127, 2013.
- Christopher D. Byrne, “Ectopic fat, insulin resistance and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease,” Proceedings of The Nutrition Society, vol. 72, no. 4, pp. 412–419, 2013.
- L. Landaeta-Diaz, J. M. Fernandez, D. Rosado-Alvarez, A. Gomez-Garduno, F. Gomez-Delgado, M. Da Silva-Grigoletto, F. Perez-Jimenez, F. Fuentes-Jimenez, and J. Lopez-Miranda, “Mediterranean diet, moderate-to-high intensity training, and health-related quality of life in adults with metabolic syndrome,” European Journal Of Preventive Cardiology, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 555–564, 2013.
- L. Y. Herring, C. Wagstaff, and A. Scott, “The efficacy of 12 weeks supervised exercise in obesity management,” Clinical Obesity, 2014.
- Birinder S. Cheema, Lisa Vizza, and Soji Swaraj, “Progressive Resistance Training in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: Can Pumping Iron Improve Clinical Outcomes?,” Sports Medicine, 2014.
- Matthew B. Miller, Gregory E. P. Pearcey, Farrell Cahill, Heather McCarthy, Shane B. D. Stratton, Jennifer C. Noftall, Steven Buckle, Fabien A. Basset, Guang Sun, and Duane C. Button, “The Effect of a Short-Term High-Intensity Circuit Training Program on Work Capacity, Body Composition, and Blood Profiles in Sedentary Obese Men: A Pilot Study,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2014, pp. 1–10, 2014.
- Petros C. Dinas, Aleksandra S. Markati, and Andres E. Carrillo, “Exercise-Induced Biological and Psychological Changes in Overweight and Obese Individuals: A Review of Recent Evidence,” ISRN Physiology, vol. 2014, pp. 1–11, 2014.