- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 651936, 13 pages
Mindfulness Intervention for Stress Eating to Reduce Cortisol and Abdominal Fat among Overweight and Obese Women: An Exploratory Randomized Controlled Study
1Osher Center for Integrative Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94115, USA
2Department of Psychology, Indiana State University, Terre Haute, IN 47809, USA
3California National Primate Research Center, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
4Department of Pediatrics, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
5Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
6Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Received 12 March 2011; Accepted 1 June 2011
Academic Editor: Renato Pasquali
Copyright © 2011 Jennifer Daubenmier et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [28 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Jennifer Daubenmier, Jue Lin, Elizabeth Blackburn, Frederick M. Hecht, Jean Kristeller, Nicole Maninger, Margaret Kuwata, Peter Bacchetti, Peter J. Havel, and Elissa Epel, “Changes in stress, eating, and metabolic factors are related to changes in telomerase activity in a randomized mindfulness intervention pilot study,” Psychoneuroendocrinology, vol. 37, no. 7, pp. 917–928, 2012.
- Wolf E. Mehling, Cynthia Price, Jennifer J. Daubenmier, Mike Acree, Elizabeth Bartmess, and Anita Stewart, “The Multidimensional Assessment of Interoceptive Awareness (MAIA),” Plos One, vol. 7, no. 11, 2012.
- Linda E. Carlson, “Mindfulness-Based Interventions for Physical Conditions: A Narrative Review Evaluating Levels of Evidence,” ISRN Psychiatry, vol. 2012, pp. 1–21, 2012.
- Akihiko Masuda, and Mary L Hill, “Mindfulness as therapy for disordered eating: a systematic review,” Neuropsychiatry, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 433–447, 2013.
- Rae Jean Proeschold-Bell, Robin Swift, H. Edgar Moore, Gary Bennett, Xiang-Fang Li, Rachel Blouin, Virginia P. Williams, Redford B. Williams, and David Toole, “Use of a randomized multiple baseline design: Rationale and design of the Spirited Life holistic health intervention study,” Contemporary Clinical Trials, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 138–152, 2013.
- Judi Godsey, “The role of mindfulness based interventions in the treatment of obesity and eating disorders: An integrative review,” Complementary Therapies in Medicine, 2013.
- Shira Maguen, Erin Madden, Beth Cohen, Daniel Bertenthal, Thomas Neylan, Lisa Talbot, Carl Grunfeld, and Karen Seal, “The Relationship between Body Mass Index and Mental Health Among Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 28, no. S2, pp. 563–570, 2013.
- Jennifer Daubenmier, Jocelyn Sze, Catherine E. Kerr, Margaret E. Kemeny, and Wolf Mehling, “Follow your breath: Respiratory interoceptive accuracy in experienced meditators,” Psychophysiology, 2013.
- Jean Kristeller, Ruth Q. Wolever, and Virgil Sheets, “Mindfulness-Based Eating Awareness Training (MB-EAT) for Binge Eating: A Randomized Clinical Trial,” Mindfulness, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 282–297, 2013.
- Jennifer Daubenmier, Robert H. Lustig, Frederick M. Hecht, Jean Kristeller, Josh Woolley, Tanja Adam, Mary Dallman, and Elissa Epel, “New Biomarker of Hedonic Eating? A Preliminary Investigation of Cortisol and Nausea Responses to Acute Opioid Blockade,” Appetite, 2013.
- Vera Tsenkova, Jenifer Morozink Boylan, and Carol Ryff, “Stress eating and health. Findings from MIDUS, a national study of US adults,” Appetite, vol. 69, pp. 151–155, 2013.
- Lenwood W. Hayman, Hannah J. Lee, Alison L. Miller, and Julie C. Lumeng, “Low-Income Women's Conceptualizations of Emotional- and Stress-Eating,” Appetite, 2014.
- Anne Koch, and Olga Pollatos, “Interoceptive sensitivity, body weight and eating behavior in children: a prospective study,” Frontiers in Psychology, vol. 5, 2014.
- A. Janet Tomiyama, Elissa S. Epel, Trissa M. McClatchey, Gina Poelke, Margaret E. Kemeny, Shannon K. Mccoy, and Jennifer Daubenmier, “Associations of Weight Stigma With Cortisol and Oxidative Stress Independent of Adiposity,” Health Psychology, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 862–867, 2014.
- Michail Mantzios, and Janet Clare Wilson, “Exploring Mindfulness and Mindfulness with Self-Compassion-Centered Interventions to Assist Weight Loss: Theoretical Considerations and Preliminary Results of a Randomized Pilot Study,” Mindfulness, 2014.
- Jennifer Daubenmier, Dara Hayden, Vickie Chang, and Elissa Epel, “It's Not What You Think: Dispositional Mindfulness Moderates the Relationship between Psychological Distress and the Cortisol Awakening Response,” Psychoneuroendocrinology, 2014.
- Melanie Thomas, Cassandra Vieten, Nancy Adler, Ingrid Ammondson, Kimberly Coleman-Phox, Elissa Epel, and Barbara Laraia, “Potential for a Stress Reduction Intervention to Promote Healthy Gestational Weight Gain: Focus Groups with Low-Income Pregnant Women,” Women's Health Issues, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. e305–e311, 2014.
- A Katsarou, F Triposkiadis, J Skoularigis, C Papageorgiou, and D B Panagiotakos, “Evaluating the role of Mediterranean diet and eating behaviors on the likelihood of having a non-fatal acute coronary syndrome, under the context of stress perception: a case–control study,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2014.
- Laura R. Saslow, Sarah Kim, Jennifer J. Daubenmier, Judith T. Moskowitz, Stephen D. Phinney, Veronica Goldman, Elizabeth J. Murphy, Rachel M. Cox, Patricia Moran, and Fredrick M. Hecht, “A Randomized Pilot Trial of a Moderate Carbohydrate Diet Compared to a Very Low Carbohydrate Diet in Overweight or Obese Individuals with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus or Prediabetes,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 4, 2014.
- Carla K. Miller, Jean L. Kristeller, Amy Headings, and Haikady Nagaraja, “Comparison of a Mindful Eating Intervention to a Diabetes Self-Management Intervention Among Adults With Type 2 Diabetes: A Randomized Controlled Trial,” Health Education & Behavior, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 145–154, 2014.
- G. A. O'Reilly, L. Cook, D. Spruijt-Metz, and D. S. Black, “Mindfulness-based interventions for obesity-related eating behaviours: a literature review,” Obesity Reviews, 2014.
- Donna Spruijt-Metz, Gillian A. O’Reilly, Lauren Cook, Kathleen A. Page, and Charlene Quinn, “Behavioral Contributions to the Pathogenesis of Type 2 Diabetes,” Current Diabetes Reports, vol. 14, no. 4, 2014.
- Sununta Youngwanichsetha, Sasitorn Phumdoung, and Thitiporn Ingkathawornwong, “The Effects of Mindfulness Eating and Yoga Exercise on Blood Sugar Levels of Pregnant Women with Gestational Diabetes Mellitus,” Applied Nursing Research, 2014.
- Shawn N. Katterman, Brighid M. Kleinman, Megan M. Hood, Lisa M. Nackers, and Joyce Corsica, “Mindfulness meditation as an intervention for binge eating, emotional eating, and weight loss: A systematic review,” Eating Behaviors, 2014.
- Eric B. Loucks, Willoughby B. Britton, Chanelle J. Howe, Charles B. Eaton, and Stephen L. Buka, “Positive Associations of Dispositional Mindfulness with Cardiovascular Health: the New England Family Study,” International Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 2014.
- Julia Buss, Peter J. Havel, Elissa Epel, Jue Lin, Elizabeth Blackburn, and Jennifer Daubenmier, “Associations of ghrelin with eating behaviors, stress, metabolic factors, and telomere length among overweight and obese women: Preliminary evidence of attenuated ghrelin effects in obesity?,” Appetite, 2014.
- Marc J. Weigensberg, Christianne J. Lane, Quintilia Avila, Kati Konersman, Emily Ventura, Tanja Adam, Zohreh Shoar, Michael I. Goran, and Donna Spruijt-Metz, “Imagine HEALTH: results from a randomized pilot lifestyle intervention for obese Latino adolescents using Interactive Guided Imagery(SM),” Bmc Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 14, 2014.
- Rebecca Jing Hou, Samuel Yeung-Shan Wong, Benjamin Hon-Kei Yip, Anchor T. F. Hung, Herman Hay-Ming Lo, Peter H. S. Chan, Cola S. L. Lo, Timothy Chi-Yui Kwok, Wai Kwong Tang, Winnie W. S. Mak, Stewart W. Mercer, and S. Helen Ma, “The Effects of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Program on the Mental Health of Family Caregivers: A Randomized Controlled Trial,” Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 45–53, 2014.