- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 686521, 6 pages
Canadian Physicians' Use of Antiobesity Drugs and Their Referral Patterns to Weight Management Programs or Providers: The SOCCER Study
1Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada T6G 2V2
2Department of Medicine, Walter C. MacKenzie Health Sciences Center (2F1.26), University of Alberta Hospital, 8440-112 Street, Edmonton, AB, Canada T6G 2B7
3Madella Clinical Research Consulting, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L9C 7W6
4Population Health Research Institute, McMaster Hamilton, University Health Sciences, Hamilton, ON, Canada L8L 2X2
5Department of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, Canada T2N 4N1
Received 13 September 2010; Accepted 15 October 2010
Academic Editor: A. Halpern
Copyright © 2011 R. S. Padwal et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- World Health Organization, “Obesity and Overweight,” 2006, http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs311/en/index.html.
- D. W. Haslam and W. P. T. James, “Obesity,” Lancet, vol. 366, no. 9492, pp. 1197–1209, 2005.
- Prospective Studies Collaboration, “Body-mass index and cause-specific mortality in 900 000 adults: collaborative analyses of 57 prospective studies,” The Lancet, vol. 373, no. 9669, pp. 1083–1096, 2009.
- M. L. Daviglus, K. Liu, L. L. Yan et al., “Body mass index in middle age and health-related quality of life in older age: the Chicago heart association detection project in industry study,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 163, no. 20, pp. 2448–2455, 2003.
- C. L. Birmingham, J. L. Muller, A. Palepu, J. J. Spinelli, and A. H. Anis, “The cost of obesity in Canada,” Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 160, no. 4, pp. 483–488, 1999.
- C. L. Ogden, M. D. Carroll, L. R. Curtin, M. A. McDowell, C. J. Tabak, and K. M. Flegal, “Prevalence of overweight and obesity in the United States, 1999–2004,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 295, no. 13, pp. 1549–1555, 2006.
- D. C. Lau, J. D. Douketis, K. M. Morrison, I. M. Hramiak, A. M. Sharma, and E. Ur, “2006 Canadian clinical practice guidelines on the management and prevention of obesity in adults and children,” Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 176, supplement 8, 2007.
- D. A. Galuska, J. C. Will, M. K. Serdula, and E. S. Ford, “Are health care professionals advising obese patients to lose weight?” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 282, no. 16, pp. 1576–1578, 1999.
- A. H. Mokdad, B. A. Bowman, E. S. Ford, F. Vinicor, J. S. Marks, and J. P. Koplan, “The continuing epidemics of obesity and diabetes in the United States,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 286, no. 10, pp. 1195–1200, 2001.
- S. Phelan, M. Nallari, F. E. Darroch, and R. R. Wing, “What do physicians recommend to their overweight and obese patients?” Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 115–122, 2009.
- J. H. Price, S. M. Desmond, R. A. Krol, F. F. Snyder, and J. K. O'Connell, “Family practice physicians' beliefs, attitudes, and practices regarding obesity,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 339–345, 1987.
- A. G. Tsai and T. A. Wadden, “Systematic review: an evaluation of major commercial weight loss programs in the United States,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 142, no. 1, pp. 56–66, 2005.
- D. Rucker, R. Padwal, S. K. Li, C. Curioni, and D. C. W. Lau, “Long term pharmacotherapy for obesity and overweight: updated meta-analysis,” British Medical Journal, vol. 335, no. 7631, pp. 1194–1199, 2007.
- Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group, “Within-trial cost-effectiveness of lifestyle intervention or metformin for the primary prevention of type 2 diabetes,” Diabetes Care, vol. 26, pp. 2518–2523, 2003.
- G. D. Foster, A. P. Makris, and B. A. Bailer, “Behavioral treatment of obesity,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 230S–235S, 2005.
- L. R. Simkin-Silverman, K. A. Gleason, W. C. King et al., “Predictors of weight control advice in primary care practices: patient health and psychosocial characteristics,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 71–82, 2005.
- An AB, “Performing logistic regression on survey data with the new SURVEYLOGISTIC procedure,” 2009, http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi27/p258-27.pdf.
- R. S. Padwal, “Trends in obesity and overweight-related office visits and drug prescriptions in Canada, 1998 to 2004,” Obesity Research, vol. 13, no. 11, pp. 1905–1908, 2005.
- Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group, “Reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes with lifestyle intervention or metformin,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 346, pp. 393–403, 2002.
- G. A. Bray, “Are non-prescription medications needed for weight control?” Obesity, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 509–514, 2008.
- M. Mauro, V. Taylor, S. Wharton, and A. M. Sharma, “Barriers to obesity treatment,” European Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 173–180, 2008.
- L. Sjöström, K. Narbro, C. D. Sjöström et al., “Effects of bariatric surgery on mortality in Swedish obese subjects,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 357, no. 8, pp. 741–752, 2007.
- R. S. Padwal and A. M. Sharma, “Treating severe obesity: morbid weights and morbid waits,” Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 181, no. 11, pp. 777–778, 2009.
- R. H. Franke and J. D. Kaul, “The Hawthorne experiments: first statistical interpretation,” American Sociological Review, vol. 43, pp. 623–643, 1978.