- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 946795, 7 pages
Serum Neopterin Is Not Increased in Obese Juveniles
1Clinical Institute of Medical and Chemical Laboratory Diagnostics, Medical University of Graz, 8036 Graz, Austria
2Department of Pediatrics, University Hospital of Salzburg, 5020 Salzburg, Austria
3Division of Biological Chemistry, Biocenter, Innsbruck Medical University, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Received 11 June 2010; Accepted 22 December 2010
Academic Editor: A. Halpern
Copyright © 2011 Harald Mangge et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. K. Hansson, “Mechanisms of disease: inflammation, atherosclerosis, and coronary artery disease,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 352, no. 16, pp. 1685–1626, 2005.
- S. Vonhof, B. Brost, M. Stille-Siegener, I. M. Grumbach, H. Kreuzer, and H. R. Figulla, “Monocyte activation in congestive heart failure due to coronary artery disease and idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 237–244, 1998.
- F. Tatzber, H. Rabl, and H. Rabl, “Elevated serum neopterin levels in atherosclerosis,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 89, no. 2-3, pp. 203–208, 1991.
- G. Weiss, J. Willeit, and J. Willeit, “Increased concentrations of neopterin in carotid atherosclerosis,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 106, no. 2, pp. 263–271, 1994.
- M. Schumacher, G. Halwachs, and G. Halwachs, “Increased neopterin in patients with chronic and acute coronary syndromes,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 703–707, 1997.
- E. P. Gurfinkel, B. M. Scirica, G. Bozovich, A. Macchia, E. Manos, and B. Mautner, “Serum neopterin levels and the angiographic extent of coronary arterial narrowing in unstable angina pectoris and in non-Q-wave acute myocardial infarction,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 83, no. 4, pp. 515–518, 1999.
- S. Kiechl, E. Lorenz, and E. Lorenz, “Toll-like receptor 4 polymorphisms and atherogenesis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 347, no. 3, pp. 185–192, 2002.
- E. Zouridakis, P. Avanzas, R. Arroyo-Espliguero, S. Fredericks, and J. C. Kaski, “Markers of inflammation and rapid coronary artery disease progression in patients with stable angina pectoris,” Circulation, vol. 110, no. 13, pp. 1747–1753, 2004.
- P. Avanzas, R. Arroyo-Espliguero, J. Quiles, D. Roy, and J. C. Kaski, “Elevated serum neopterin predicts future adverse cardiac events in patients with chronic stable angina pectoris,” European Heart Journal, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 457–463, 2005.
- A. Dominguez-Rodriguez, P. Abreu-Gonzalez, and M. Garcia-Gonzalez, “Usefulness of neopterin levels and left ventricular function for risk assessment in survivors of acute myocardial infarction,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 111, no. 2, pp. 318–320, 2006.
- D. T. Johnston, M. Gagos, N. Raio, L. Ragolia, D. Shenouda, M. A. Davis-Lorton, and J. R. De Leon, “Alterations in serum neopterin correlate with thrombolysis in myocardial infarction risk scores in acute coronary syndromes,” Coronary Artery Disease, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 511–516, 2006.
- K. K. Ray, D. A. Morrow, M. S. Sabatine, A. Shui, N. Rifai, C. P. Cannon, and E. Braunwald, “Long-term prognostic value of neopterin: a novel marker of monocyte activation in patients with acute coronary syndrome,” Circulation, vol. 115, no. 24, pp. 3071–3078, 2007.
- T. Adachi, T. Naruko, and T. Naruko, “Neopterin is associated with plaque inflammation and destabilisation in human coronary atherosclerotic lesions,” Heart, vol. 93, no. 12, pp. 1537–1541, 2007.
- J. C. Kaski, L. Consuegra-Sanchez, and L. Consuegra-Sanchez, “Elevated serum neopterin levels and adverse cardiac events at 6 months follow-up in Mediterranean patients with non-ST-segment elevation acute coronary syndrome,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 201, no. 1, pp. 176–183, 2008.
- H. F. Alber, C. Duftner, and C. Duftner, “Neopterin, lymphocytes and the extent and severity of coronary artery disease,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 135, no. 1, pp. 27–35, 2009.
- V. Videm, R. Wiseth, S. Gunnes, H. O. Madsen, and P. Garred, “Multiple inflammatory markers in patients with significant coronary artery disease,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 118, no. 1, pp. 81–87, 2007.
- T. B. Grammer, D. Fuchs, B. O. Boehm, B. R. Winkelmann, and W. Maerz, “Neopterin as a predictor of total and cardiovascular mortality in individuals undergoing angiography in the Ludwigshafen Risk and Cardiovascular Health study,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 1135–1146, 2009.
- I. T. Vengen, A. C. Dale, R. Wiseth, K. Midthjell, and V. Videm, “Neopterin predicts the risk for fatal ischemic heart disease in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Long-term follow-up of the HUNT 1 study,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 207, no. 1, pp. 239–244, 2009.
- C. Huber, J. R. Batchelor, and D. Fuchs, “Immune response-associated production of neopterin. Release from macrophages primarily under control of interferon-gamma,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 160, no. 1, pp. 310–316, 1984.
- B. Wirleitner, D. Reider, and D. Reider, “Monocyte-derived dendritic cells release neopterin,” Journal of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 72, no. 6, pp. 1148–1153, 2002.
- C. Murr, B. Widner, B. Wirleitner, and D. Fuchs, “Neopterin as a marker for immune system activation,” Current Drug Metabolism, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 175–187, 2002.
- D. Fuchs, G. Weiss, G. Reibnegger, and H. Wachter, “The role of neopterin as a monitor of cellular immune activation in transplantation, inflammatory, infectious, and malignant diseases,” Critical Reviews in Clinical Laboratory Sciences, vol. 29, no. 3-4, pp. 307–341, 1992.
- C. Murr, A. Bergant, M. Widschwendter, K. Heim, H. Schröcksnadel, and D. Fuchs, “Neopterin is an independent prognostic variable in females with breast cancer,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 45, no. 11, pp. 1998–2004, 1999.
- G. Reibnegger, C. Aichberger, and C. Aichberger, “Posttransplant neopterin excretion in renal allograft recipients—a reliable diagnostic aid for acute rejection and a predictive marker of long-term graft survival,” Transplantation, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 58–63, 1991.
- H. Mangge, K. Schauenstein, L. Stroedter, A. Griesl, W. Maerz, and M. Borkenstein, “Low grade inflammation in juvenile obesity and type 1 diabetes associated with early signs of atherosclerosis,” Experimental and Clinical Endocrinology and Diabetes, vol. 112, no. 7, pp. 378–382, 2004.
- S. Pilz, R. Horejsi, and R. Horejsi, “Early atherosclerosis in obese juveniles is associated with low serum levels of adiponectin,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 90, no. 8, pp. 4792–4796, 2005.
- H. Mangge, G. Almer, and G. Almer, “Nuchal thickness of subcutaneous adipose tissue is tightly associated with an increased LMW/total adiponectin ratio in obese juveniles,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 203, no. 1, pp. 277–283, 2009.
- M. Ledochowski, C. Murr, B. Widner, and D. Fuchs, “Association between insulin resistance, body mass and neopterin concentrations,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 282, no. 1-2, pp. 115–123, 1999.
- S. Kiechl and J. Willeit, “The natural course of atherosclerosis: part II: vascular remodeling,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 1491–1498, 1999.
- R. Moeller, R. Horejsi, and R. Horejsi, “Evaluation of risk profiles by subcutaneous adipose tissue topography in obese juveniles,” Obesity, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 1319–1324, 2007.
- B. R. Winkelmann, W. März, B. O. Boehm, R. Zotz, J. Hager, P. Hellstern, and J. Senges, “Rationale and design of the LURIC study—a resource for functional genomics, pharmacogenomics and long-term prognosis of cardiovascular disease,” Pharmacogenomics, vol. 2, supplement 1, pp. S1–S73, 2001.
- P. L. van Haelst, A. Liem, and A. Liem, “Usefulness of elevated neopterin and C-reactive protein levels in predicting cardiovascular events in patients with non-Q-wave myocardial infarction,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 92, no. 10, pp. 1201–1203, 2003.
- P. Cirillo, M. Pacileo, and M. Pacileo, “Neopterin induces pro-atherothrombotic phenotype in human coronary endothelial cells,” Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 4, no. 10, pp. 2248–2255, 2006.
- J. Auer, R. Berent, E. Laßnig, and B. Eber, “Serum neopterin and activity of coronary artery disease,” Heart Disease, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 297–301, 2001.
- G. Hoffmann, W. Schobersberger, and W. Schobersberger, “Neopterin activates transcription factor nuclear factor-κB in vascular smooth muscle cells,” FEBS Letters, vol. 391, no. 1-2, pp. 181–184, 1996.
- D. Fuchs, P. Avanzas, R. Arroyo-Espliguero, M. Jenny, L. Consuegra-Sanchez, and J. C. Kaski, “The role of neopterin in atherogenesis and cardiovascular risk assessment,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 16, no. 35, pp. 4644–4653, 2009.
- G. Weiss, C. Murr, H. Zoller, M. Haun, B. Widner, C. Ludescher, and D. Fuchs, “Modulation of neopterin formation and tryptophan degradation by Th1- and Th2-derived cytokines in human monocytic cells,” Clinical and Experimental Immunology, vol. 116, no. 3, pp. 435–440, 1999.
- P. Mayersbach, D. Fuchs, and H. Schennach, “Performance of a fully automated quantitative neopterin measurement assay in a routine voluntary blood donation setting,” Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 373–377, 2010.
- M. Jenny, M. Klieber, and M. Klieber, “In vitro testing for anti-inflammatory properties of compounds employing peripheral blood mononuclear cells freshly isolated from healthy donors,” Inflammation Research. In press.
- H. Sprenger, C. Jacobs, M. Nain, A. M. Gressner, H. Prinz, W. Wesemann, and D. Gemsa, “Enhanced release of cytokines, interleukin-2 receptors, and neopterin after long-distance running,” Clinical Immunology and Immunopathology, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 188–195, 1992.
- G. P. Tilz, W. Domej, and W. Domej, “Increased immune activation during and after physical excercise,” Immunobiology, vol. 188, no. 1-2, pp. 194–202, 1993.
- M. Ristow, K. Zarse, and K. Zarse, “Antioxidants prevent health-promoting effects of physical exercise in humans,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 106, no. 21, pp. 8665–8670, 2009.
- J. Sun, G. K. Sukhova, and G. K. Sukhova, “Mast cells promote atherosclerosis by releasing proinflammatory cytokines,” Nature Medicine, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 719–724, 2007.