- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 989657, 14 pages
Dairy Foods in a Moderate Energy Restricted Diet Do Not Enhance Central Fat, Weight, and Intra-Abdominal Adipose Tissue Losses nor Reduce Adipocyte Size or Inflammatory Markers in Overweight and Obese Adults: A Controlled Feeding Study
1Obesity & Metabolism Research Unit, Western Human Nutrition Research Center, USDA, ARS, 430 West Health Science Drive, Davis, CA 95616, USA
2Department of Nutrition, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
3Pediatric Division, Vanderbilt Children's Hospital, Nashville, TN 37232-9170, USA
4Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011-1120, USA
Received 6 April 2011; Revised 16 June 2011; Accepted 17 June 2011
Academic Editor: Jordi Salas Salvado
Copyright © 2011 Marta D. Van Loan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. A. McCarron, C. D. Morris, H. J. Henry, and J. L. Stanton, “Blood pressure and nutrient intake in the United States,” Science, vol. 224, no. 4656, pp. 1392–1398, 1984.
- M. A. Pereira, D. R. Jacobs, L. Van Horn, M. L. Slattery, A. I. Kartashov, and D. S. Ludwig, “Dairy consumption, obesity, and the insulin resistance syndrome in young adults: the CARDIA study,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 287, no. 16, pp. 2081–2089, 2002.
- M. B. Zemel, H. Shi, B. Greer, D. Dirienzo, and P. C. Zemel, “Regulation of adiposity by dietary calcium,” FASEB Journal, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 1132–1138, 2000.
- V. Drapeau, J. P. Després, C. Bouchard et al., “Modifications in food-group consumption are related to long-term body-weight changes,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 29–37, 2004.
- G. C. Major, F. P. Alarie, J. Dore, and A. Tremblay, “Calcium + vitamin D supplementation and fat mass loss in women very low calcium consumers: potential link with a calcium-specific appetite control,” The British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 120, pp. 1538–1549, 2009.
- M. B. Zemel, D. Teegarden, M. Van Loan, et al., “Dairy-rich diets augment fat loss on an energy-restricted diet: a multicenter trial,” Nutrients, vol. 1, pp. 83–100, 2009.
- M. B. Zemel, W. Thompson, A. Milstead, K. Morris, and P. Campbell, “Calcium and dairy acceleration of weight and fat loss during energy restriction in obese adults,” Obesity Research, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 582–590, 2004.
- M. Holecki, B. Zahorska-Markiewicz, A. Wiecek, K. Mizia-Stec, T. Nieszporek, and A. Zak-Gołab, “Influence of calcium and vitamin D supplementation on weight and fat loss in obese women,” Obesity Facts, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 274–279, 2008.
- J. Harvey-Berino, B. C. Gold, R. Lauber, and A. Starinski, “The impact of calcium and dairy product consumption on weight loss,” Obesity Research, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 1720–1726, 2005.
- W. G. Thompson, N. R. Holdman, D. J. Janzow, J. M. Slezuk, K. L. Morris, and M. B. Zemel, “Effect of energy-reduced diets high in dairy products and fiber on weight loss in obese adults,” Obesity Research, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 1344–1353, 2005.
- R. Jacobsen, J. K. Lorenzen, S. Toubro, I. Krog-Mikkelsen, and A. Astrup, “Effect of short-term high dietary calcium intake on 24-h energy expenditure, fat oxidation, and fecal fat excretion,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 292–301, 2005.
- D. Teegarden, K. M. White, R. M. Lyle et al., “Calcium and dairy product modulation of lipid utilization and energy expenditure,” Obesity, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 1566–1572, 2008.
- C. W. Gunther, R. M. Lyle, P. A. Legowski et al., “Fat oxidation and its relation to serum parathyroid hormone in young women enrolled in a 1-y dairy calcium intervention,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 82, no. 6, pp. 1228–1234, 2005.
- B. H. Jones, J. H. Kim, M. B. Zemel et al., “Upregulation of adipocyte metabolism by agouti protein: possible paracrine actions in yellow mouse obesity,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 270, no. 1, pp. E192–E196, 1996.
- X. Sun and M. B. Zemel, “Role of uncoupling protein 2 (UCP2) expression and 1α, 25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 in modulating adipocyte apoptosis,” FASEB Journal, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 1430–1432, 2004.
- L. M. Browning, J. D. Krebs, E. C. Magee, G. Frühbeck, and S. A. Jebb, “Circulating markers of inflammation and their link to indices of adiposity,” Obesity Facts, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 259–265, 2008.
- Institute of Medicine of the National Academies, Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein, and Amino Acids, The National Academies Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2005.
- J. L. Clasey, C. Bouchard, C. D. Teates et al., “The use of anthropometric and dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) measures to estimate total abdominal and abdominal visceral fat in men and women,” Obesity Research, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 256–264, 1999.
- J. B. WEIR, “New methods for calculating metabolic rate with special reference to protein metabolism,” The Journal of Physiology, vol. 109, no. 1-2, pp. 1–9, 1949.
- S. A. Bingham, “Urine nitrogen as a biomarker for the validation of dietary protein intake,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 133, supplement 3, pp. 921S–924S, 2003.
- C. W. Gunther, P. A. Legowski, R. M. Lyle et al., “Dairy products do not lead to alterations in body weight or fat mass in young women in a 1-y intervention,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 81, no. 4, pp. 751–756, 2005.
- M. S. Eagan, R. M. Lyle, C. W. Gunther, M. Peacock, and D. Teegarden, “Effect of 1-year dairy product intervention on fat mass in young women: 6-Month follow-up,” Obesity, vol. 14, no. 12, pp. 2242–2248, 2006.
- N. C. Bush, J. A. Alvarez, S. S. Choquette et al., “Dietary calcium intake is associated with less gain in intra-abdominal adipose tissue over 1 year,” Obesity, vol. 18, no. 11, pp. 2101–2104, 2010.
- W. C. S. Ping Delfos, Higher dairy intake can help fight obesity, Ph.D. thesis, New Curtin University of Technology, Curtin, Australia, 2009.
- Y. Kadooka, M. Sato, K. Imaizumi et al., “Regulation of abdominal adiposity by probiotics (Lactobacillus gasseri SBT2055) in adults with obese tendencies in a randomized controlled trial,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 64, no. 6, pp. 636–643, 2010.
- S. H. Faghih, A. R. Abadi, M. Hedayati, and S. M. Kimiagar, “Comparison of the effects of cows’ milk, fortified soy milk, and calcium supplement on weight and fat loss in premenopausal overweight and obese women,” Nutrition, Metabolism & Cardiovascular Diseases, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 499–503, 2011.
- J.-A. Gilbert, D. R. Joanisse, J.-P. Chaput et al., “Milk supplementation facilitates appetite control in obese women during weight loss: a randomised, single-blind, placebo-controlled trial,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 105, no. 1, pp. 133–143, 2011.
- M. H. Wennersberg, A. Smedman, A. M. Turpeinen et al., “Dairy products and metabolic effects in overweight men and women: results from a 6-mo intervention study,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 90, no. 4, pp. 960–968, 2009.
- N. K. Cumming, A. P. James, and M. J. Soares, “The acute effects of different sources of dietary calcium on postprandial energy metabolism,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 138–144, 2006.
- H. Shi, A. W. Norman, W. H. Okamura, A. Sen, and M. B. Zemel, “1alpha,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 inhibits uncoupling protein 2 expression in human adipocytes,” The FASEB Journal, vol. 16, no. 13, pp. 1808–1810, 2002.
- E. L. Melanson, T. A. Sharp, J. Schneider, W. T. Donahoo, G. K. Grunwald, and J. O. Hill, “Relation between calcium intake and fat oxidation in adult humans,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 196–203, 2003.
- X. Sun and M. B. Zemel, “Calcium and dairy products inhibit weight and fat regain during ad libitum consumption following energy restriction in aP2-agouti transgenic mice,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 134, no. 11, pp. 3054–3060, 2004.
- B. Caan, M. Neuhouser, A. Aragaki et al., “Calcium plus vitamin D supplementation and the risk of postmenopausal weight gain,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 167, no. 9, pp. 893–902, 2007.
- M. B. Zemel, X. Sun, T. Sobhani, and B. Wilson, “Effects of dairy compared with soy on oxidative and inflammatory stress in overweight and obese subjects,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 16–22, 2010.
- D. B. Panagiotakos, C. H. Pitsavos, A. D. Zampelas, C. A. Chrysohoou, and C. I. Stefanadis, “Dairy products consumption is associated with decreased levels of inflammatory markers related to cardiovascular disease in apparently healthy adults: the ATTICA study,” Journal of the American College of Nutrition, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 357–364, 2010.
- S. Pal and V. Ellis, “The chronic effects of whey proteins on blood pressure, vascular function, and inflammatory markers in overweight individuals,” Obesity, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 1354–1359, 2010.