- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 107989, 4 pages
Obesity and Trends in Life Expectancy
1Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Monash University, The Alfred Centre, 99 Commercial Road, Melbourne, VIC 3004, Australia
2National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health, The Australian National University, Canberra, ACT 0200, Australia
3Department of Medicine, University of Melbourne, Repatriation Hospital, Heidelberg, VIC 3084, Australia
Received 9 January 2012; Accepted 14 February 2012
Academic Editor: Abel Romero-Corral
Copyright © 2012 Helen L. Walls et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. J. Olshansky, D. J. Passaro, R. C. Hershow et al., “A potential decline in life expectancy in the United States in the 21st century,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 352, no. 11, pp. 1138–1145, 2005.
- N. I. Parikh, M. J. Pencina, T. J. Wang et al., “Increasing Trends in Incidence of Overweight and Obesity over 5 Decades,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 120, no. 3, pp. 242–250, 2007.
- K. Christensen, G. Doblhammer, R. Rau, and J. W. Vaupel, “Ageing populations: the challenges ahead,” The Lancet, vol. 374, no. 9696, pp. 1196–1208, 2009.
- J. Stamler, “The marked decline in coronary heart disease mortality rates in the United States, 1968-1981; summary of findings and possible explanations,” Cardiology, vol. 72, no. 1-2, pp. 11–22, 1985.
- S. Capewell, E. S. Ford, J. B. Croft, J. A. Critchley, K. J. Greenlund, and D. R. Labarthe, “Cardiovascular risk factor trends and potential for reducing coronary heart disease mortality in the United States of America,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 120–130, 2010.
- C. S. Fox, M. J. Pencina, J. B. Meigs, R. S. Vasan, Y. S. Levitzky, and R. B. D'Agostino, “Trends in the incidence of type 2 diabetes mellitus from the 1970s to the 1990s: the Framingham Heart Study,” Circulation, vol. 113, no. 25, pp. 2914–2918, 2006.
- S. T. Stewart, D. M. Cutler, and A. B. Rosen, “Forecasting the effects of obesity and smoking on U.S. life expectancy,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 361, no. 23, pp. 2252–2260, 2009.
- R. Peto, G. Whitlock, and P. Jha, “Effects of obesity and smoking on U.S. life expectancy,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 362, no. 9, pp. 855–856, 2010.
- A. V. Chobanian, “Improved hypertension control: cause for some celebration,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 303, no. 20, pp. 2082–2083, 2010.
- Prospective Studies Collaboration, “Body-mass index and cause-specific mortality in 900,000 adults: collaborative analyses of 57 prospective studies,” The Lancet, vol. 373, no. 9669, pp. 1083–1096, 2009.
- H. L. Walls, R. Wolfe, M. M. Haby et al., “Trends in BMI of urban Australian adults, 1980–2000,” Public Health Nutrition, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 631–638, 2010.
- R. Sturm, “Increases in morbid obesity in the USA: 2000–2005,” Public Health, vol. 121, no. 7, pp. 492–496, 2007.
- P. Diehr, D. E. Bild, T. B. Harris, A. Duxbury, D. Siscovick, and M. Rossi, “Body mass index and mortality in nonsmoking older adults: the cardiovascular health study,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 88, no. 4, pp. 623–629, 1998.
- M. A. Hernán and S. L. Taubman, “Does obesity shorten life? The importance of well-defined interventions to answer causal questions,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. S8–S14, 2008.
- J. M. Lee, S. Pilli, A. Gebremariam et al., “Getting heavier, younger: trajectories of obesity over the life course,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 614–623, 2010.
- A. Abdullah, R. Wolfe, J. U. Stoelwinder et al., “The number of years lived with obesity and the risk of all-cause and cause-specific mortality,” International Journal of Epidemiology. In press.
- A. Minino, J. Yu, and K. Kochanek, “Division of vital statistics. deaths: preliminary data for 2008,” National Vital Statistics Reports, 2010.
- J. Arnlov, E. Ingelsson, J. Sundström, and L. Lind, “Response to letters regarding article, "the impact of body mass index and the metabolic syndrome on the risk of cardiovascular disease and death in middle-aged men",” Circulation, vol. 122, no. 11, pp. 230–236, 2010.
- J. A. Vogel, B. A. Franklin, K. C. Zalesin et al., “Reduction in predicted coronary heart disease risk after substantial weight reduction after bariatric surgery,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 99, no. 2, pp. 222–226, 2007.
- S. Uretsky, F. H. Messerli, S. Bangalore et al., “Obesity Paradox in Patients with Hypertension and Coronary Artery Disease,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 120, no. 10, pp. 863–870, 2007.
- D. Schmidt and A. Salahudeen, “The obesity-survival paradox in hemodialysis patients: why do overweight hemodialysis patients live longer?” Nutrition in Clinical Practice, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 11–15, 2007.
- T. Lancefield, D. J. Clark, N. Andrianopoulos et al., “Is there an obesity paradox after percutaneous coronary intervention in the contemporary era? An analysis from a multicenter Australian registry,” JACC. Cardiovascular Interventions, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 660–668, 2010.
- S. Walter, A. Kunst, J. MacKenbach, A. Hofman, and H. Tiemeier, “Mortality and disability: the effect of overweight and obesity,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 1410–1418, 2009.
- S. L. Reynolds, Y. Saito, and E. M. Crimmins, “The impact of obesity on active life expectancy in older American men and women,” Gerontologist, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 438–444, 2005.
- K. Backholer, E. Wong, R. Freak-Poli, H. L. Walls, and A. Peeters, “Increasing body weight and risk of limitations in activities of daily living: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 456–468, 2012.
- J. W. Vaupel, “Biodemography of human ageing,” Nature, vol. 464, no. 7288, pp. 536–542, 2010.