- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 180176, 9 pages
Overweight Adolescents’ Self-Perceived Weight and Weight Control Behaviour: HBSC Study in Finland 1994–2010
Department of Health Sciences, Research Center for Health Promotion, University of Jyväskylä, P.O. Box 35, 40014 Jyväskylä, Finland
Received 4 November 2011; Revised 15 February 2012; Accepted 26 March 2012
Academic Editor: Pedro J. Teixeira
Copyright © 2012 Kristiina Ojala et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Zaninotto, H. Wardle, E. Stamakis, J. Mindell, and J. Head, Forecasting Obesity to 2010, National Centre for Social Research, Department of Health, London, UK, 2006.
- S. Kautiainen, Overweight and Obesity in Adolescence, Acta Universitatis Tamperensis 1347, University of Tampere, 2008.
- C. Currie, S. Nic Gabhainn, E. Godeau, et al., “Inequalities in young people's health: HBSC international report from the 2005/2006 survey,” World Health Organization. Health Policy for Children and Adolescents, No. 5, 2008.
- J. A. O'Dea and P. Caputi, “Association between socioeconomic status, weight, age and gender, and the body image and weight control practices of 6- to 19-year-old children and adolescents,” Health Education Research, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 521–532, 2001.
- L. Smolak, “Body image in children and adolescents: where do we go from here?” Body Image, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 15–28, 2004.
- D. Neumark-Sztainer, M. Wall, M. E. Eisenberg, M. Story, and P. J. Hannan, “Overweight status and weight control behaviors in adolescents: longitudinal and secular trends from 1999 to 2004,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 52–59, 2006.
- D. Neumark-Sztainer, M. Wall, J. Guo, M. Story, J. Haines, and M. Eisenberg, “Obesity, disordered eating, and eating disorders in a longitudinal study of adolescents: how do dieters fare 5 years later?” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 106, no. 4, pp. 559–568, 2006.
- J. Pesa, “Psychosocial factors associated with dieting behaviors among female adolescents,” Journal of School Health, vol. 69, no. 5, pp. 196–201, 1999.
- D. Neumark-Sztainer, M. Wall, J. Haines, M. Story, and M. E. Eisenberg, “Why does dieting predict weight gain in adolescents? Findings from project EAT-II: a 5-year longitudinal study,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 107, no. 3, pp. 448–455, 2007.
- R. S. Strauss, “Self-reported weight status and dieting in a cross-sectional sample of young adolescents. National health and nutrition examination survey III,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 153, no. 7, pp. 741–747, 1999.
- R. J. Paxton, R. F. Valois, and J. Wanzer Drane, “Correlates of body mass index, weight goals, and weight-management practices among adolescents,” Journal of School Health, vol. 74, no. 4, pp. 136–143, 2004.
- C. M. Shisslak, M. Z. Mays, M. Crago, J. K. Jirsak, K. Taitano, and C. Cagno, “Eating and weight control behaviors among middle school girls in relationship to body weight and ethnicity,” Journal of Adolescent Health, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 631–633, 2006.
- J. D. Latner and A. J. Stunkard, “Getting worse: the stigmatization of obese children,” Obesity Research, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 452–456, 2003.
- G. C. Patton, R. Selzer, C. Coffey, J. B. Carlin, and R. Wolfe, “Onset of adolescent eating disorders: population based cohort study over 3 years,” British Medical Journal, vol. 318, no. 7186, pp. 765–768, 1999.
- J. Croll, D. Neumark-Sztainer, M. Story, and M. Ireland, “Prevalence and risk and protective factors related to disordered eating behaviors among adolescents: relationship to gender and ethnicity,” Journal of Adolescent Health, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 166–175, 2002.
- H. L. Littleton and T. Ollendick, “Negative body image and disordered eating behavior in children and adolescents: what places youth at risk and how can these problems be prevented?” Clinical Child and Family Psychology Review, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 51–66, 2003.
- M. P. McCabe and L. A. Ricciardelli, “A prospective study of pressures from parents, peers, and the media on extreme weight change behaviors among adolescent boys and girls,” Behaviour Research and Therapy, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 653–668, 2005.
- W. Wills, K. Backett-Milburn, S. Gregory, and J. Lawton, “Young teenagers' perceptions of their own and others' bodies: a qualitative study of obese, overweight and “normal” weight young people in Scotland,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 396–406, 2006.
- T. F. Cash, “Cognitive behavioral perspectives on body image,” in Body Image: A Handbook of Theory, Research, and Clinical Practice, T. F. Cash and T. Pruzinsky, Eds., pp. 38–46, Guilford Press, New York, NY, USA, 2002.
- L. Clark and M. Tiggemann, “Sociocultural and individual psychological predictors of body image in young girls: a prospective study,” Developmental Psychology, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 1124–1134, 2008.
- H. Shroff and J. K. Thompson, “The tripartite influence model of body image and eating disturbance: a replication with adolescent girls,” Body Image, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 17–23, 2006.
- L. C. Andrist, “Media images, body dissatisfaction, and disordered eating in adolescent women,” The American Journal of Maternal/Child Nursing, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 119–123, 2003.
- A. M. Knowles, A. G. Niven, S. G. Fawkner, and J. M. Henretty, “A longitudinal examination of the influence of maturation on physical self-perceptions and the relationship with physical activity in early adolescent girls,” Journal of Adolescence, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 555–566, 2009.
- G. T. Smith, J. R. Simmons, K. Flory, A. M. Annus, and K. K. Hill, “Thinness and eating expectancies predict subsequent binge-eating and purging behavior among adolescent girls,” Journal of Abnormal Psychology, vol. 116, no. 1, pp. 188–197, 2007.
- F. Johnson and J. Wardle, “Dietary restraint, body dissatisfaction, and psychological distress: a prospective analysis,” Journal of Abnormal Psychology, vol. 114, no. 1, pp. 119–125, 2005.
- M. Tiggemann, “Body dissatisfaction and adolescent self-esteem: prospective findings,” Body Image, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 129–135, 2005.
- B. Verplanken and R. Velsvik, “Habitual negative body image thinking as psychological risk factor in adolescents,” Body Image, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 133–140, 2008.
- J. M. Williams and C. Currie, “Self-esteem and physical development in early adolescence: pubertal timing and body image,” Journal of Early Adolescence, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 129–149, 2000.
- J. M. Siegel, “Body image change and adolescent depressive symptoms,” Journal of Adolescent Research, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 27–41, 2002.
- J. Daniels, “Weight and weight concerns: are they associated with reported depressive symptoms in adolescents?” Journal of Pediatric Health Care, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 33–41, 2005.
- A. M. Brausch and J. J. Muehlenkamp, “Body image and suicidal ideation in adolescents,” Body Image, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 207–212, 2007.
- C. Currie, S. Nic Gabhainn, E. Godeau, and E. the International HBSC Network Coordinating Committee, “The health behaviour in school-aged children: WHO collaborative cross-national (HBSC) study: origins, concept, history and development 1982–2008,” International Journal of Public Health, vol. 54, supplement 2, pp. S131–S139, 2009.
- T. J. Cole, M. C. Bellizzi, K. M. Flegal, and W. H. Dietz, “Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey,” British Medical Journal, vol. 320, no. 7244, pp. 1240–1243, 2000.
- C. Currie, S. Nic Gabhainn, E. Godeau, et al., Eds., “Health Behaviour in School-aged Children: a WHO Cross-National Study (HBSC), Research Protocol for the 2005/06 Survey,” Child and Adolescent Health Research Unit (CAHRU), The University of Edinburgh, 2006.
- N. D. Brener, T. McManus, D. A. Galuska, R. Lowry, and H. Wechsler, “Reliability and validity of self-reported height and weight among high school students,” Journal of Adolescent Health, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 281–287, 2003.
- F. J. Elgar, C. Roberts, L. Moore, and C. Tudor-Smith, “Sedentary behaviour, physical activity and weight problems in adolescents in Wales,” Public Health, vol. 119, no. 6, pp. 518–524, 2005.
- J. H. Himes, P. Hannan, M. Wall, and D. Neumark-Sztainer, “Factors associated with errors in self-reports of stature, weight, and body mass index in Minnesota adolescents,” Annals of Epidemiology, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 272–278, 2005.
- J. Haines, D. Neumark-Sztainer, P. J. Hannan, P. Van Den Berg, and M. E. Eisenberg, “Longitudinal and secular trends in weight-related teasing during adolescence,” Obesity, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. S18–S23, 2008.
- I. Orbach and M. Mikulincer, “The body investment scale: construction and validation of a body experience scale,” Psychological Assessment, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 415–425, 1998.
- StataCorp, Stata: Release 12. Statistical Software, StataCorp LP, College Station, Tex, USA, 2011.
- S. J. Roberts, S. M. Maxwell, G. Bagnall, and R. Bilton, “The incidence of dieting amongst adolescent girls: a question of interpretation?” Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 103–109, 2001.
- M. Koroni, F. Garagouni-Areou, C. J. Roussi-Vergou, M. Zafiropoulou, and S. M. Piperakis, “The stigmatization of obesity in children. A survey in Greek elementary schools,” Appetite, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 241–244, 2009.
- D. Neumark-Sztainer, N. Falkner, M. Story, C. Perry, P. J. Hannan, and S. Mulert, “Weight-teasing among adolescents: correlations with weight status and disordered eating behaviors,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 123–131, 2002.
- A. Raevuori, A. Keski-Rahkonen, C. M. Bulik, R. J. Rose, A. Rissanen, and J. Kaprio, “Muscle dissatisfaction in young adult men,” Clinical Practice and Epidemiology in Mental Health, vol. 2, article 6, 2006.
- L. M. Irving and D. Neumark-Sztainer, “Integrating the prevention of eating disorders and obesity: feasible or futile?” Preventive Medicine, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 299–309, 2002.
- B. Evans, ““Gluttony or sloth”: critical geographies of bodies and morality in (anti)obesity policy,” Area, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 259–267, 2006.
- S. E. Barlow and W. H. Dietz, “Obesity evaluation and treatment: expert Committee recommendations. The maternal and child health bureau, health resources and services administration and the department of health and human services,” Pediatrics, vol. 102, no. 3, article E29, 1998.
- P. van den Berg and D. Neumark-Sztainer, “Fat ‘n happy 5 years later: is it bad for overweight girls to like their bodies?” Journal of Adolescent Health, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 415–417, 2007.
- C. Fenton, F. Brooks, N. H. Spencer, and A. Morgan, “Sustaining a positive body image in adolescence: an assets-based analysis,” Health and Social Care in the Community, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 189–198, 2010.
- N. Tsigilis, “Can secondary school students' self-reported measures of height and weight be trusted? An effect size approach,” European Journal of Public Health, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 532–535, 2006.
- D. Neumark-Sztainer and M. Story, “Dieting and binge eating among adolescents: what do they really mean?” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 98, no. 4, pp. 446–450, 1998.