- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 294974, 16 pages
The Association between Marital Transitions, Body Mass Index, and Weight: A Review of the Literature
1Department of Public Health, The Graduate Center, City University of New York, 365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA
2City University of New York School of Public Health at Hunter College, 2180 Third Avenue, New York, NY 10035, USA
Received 1 October 2011; Revised 24 March 2012; Accepted 13 May 2012
Academic Editor: Jack A. Yanovski
Copyright © 2012 Lauren Dinour et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. M. Flegal, D. Carroll, B. K. Kit, and C. L. Ogden, “Prevalence of obesity and trends in the distribution of body mass index among US adults, 1999–2010,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 307, no. 5, pp. 491–497, 2012.
- “Vital signs: state-specific obesity prevalence among adults—United States, 2009,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 59, no. 30, pp. 951–955, 2010.
- B. Caballero, “The global epidemic of obesity: an overview,” Epidemiologic Reviews, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 1–5, 2007.
- World Health Organization fact sheet: Obesity and Overweight, http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs311/en/, 2011.
- K. M. Flegal, B. I. Graubard, D. F. Williamson, and M. H. Gail, “Cause-specific excess deaths associated with underweight, overweight, and obesity,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 298, no. 17, pp. 2028–2037, 2007.
- J. Sobal, B. Rauschenbach, and E. A. Frongillo, “Marital status changes and body weight changes: a US longitudinal analysis,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 56, no. 7, pp. 1543–1555, 2003.
- R. B. Schafer and P. M. Keith, “Influences on food decisions across the family life cycle,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 144–148, 1981.
- R. B. Schafer, “Factors affecting food behavior and the quality of husbands' and wives' diets,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. 138–143, 1978.
- J. Sobal and K. L. Hanson, “Marital stauts, marital history, body weight, and obesity,” Marriage and Family Pastor, vol. 47, pp. 474–504, 2011.
- D. Umberson, H. Liu, and D. Powers, “Marital status, marital transitions, and body weight,” Journal of Health and Social Behavior, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 327–343, 2009.
- L. J. Waite, “Does marriage matter?” Demography, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 483–507, 1995.
- Z. Wu and R. Hart, “The effects of marital and nonmarital union transition on health,” Journal of Marriage and Family, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 420–432, 2002.
- W. B. Wilcox and E. Marquardt, The State of Our Unions: Marriage in America 2010, http://stateofourunions.org/2010/SOOU2010.pdf, 2011.
- Center for Disease Control, “Marriage and cohabitation in the United States: a statistical portrait based on cycle 6 (2002) of the National Survey of Family Growth,” Vital and Health Statistics, no. 28, pp. 1–45, 2010.
- K. Williams and D. Umberson, “Marital status, marital transitions, and health: a gendered life course perspective,” Journal of Health and Social Behavior, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 81–98, 2004.
- M. E. Dupre, A. N. Beck, and S. O. Meadows, “Marital trajectories and mortality among US adults,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 170, no. 5, pp. 546–555, 2009.
- A. S. Anderson, D. W. Marshall, and E. J. Lea, “Shared lives-an opportunity for obesity prevention?” Appetite, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 327–329, 2004.
- S. L. Averett, A. Sikora, and L. M. Argys, “For better or worse: relationship status and body mass index,” Economics and Human Biology, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 330–349, 2008.
- P. L. Craig and A. S. Truswell, “Dynamics of food habits of newly married couples: weight and exercise patterns,” Australian Journal of Nutrition & Dietetics, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 42–46, 1990.
- P. M. Eng, I. Kawachi, G. Filzmaurice, and E. B. Rimm, “Effects of marital transitions on changes in dietary and other health behaviours in US male health professionals,” Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 56–62, 2005.
- M. Fogelholm, U. Kujala, J. Kaprio, and S. Sarna, “Predictors of weight change in middle-aged and old men,” Obesity Research, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 367–373, 2000.
- K. M. Harris, H. Lee, and F. Y. DeLeone, “Marriage and health in the transition to adulthood: evidence for African Americans in the add health study,” Journal of Family Issues, vol. 31, no. 8, pp. 1106–1143, 2010.
- R. W. Jeffery and A. M. Rick, “Cross-sectional and longitudinal associations between body mass index and marriage-related factors,” Obesity Research, vol. 10, no. 8, pp. 809–815, 2002.
- H. S. Kahn and D. F. Williamson, “The contributions of income, education and changing marital status to weight change among US men,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 14, no. 12, pp. 1057–1068, 1990.
- H. S. Kahn, D. F. Williamson, and J. A. Stevens, “Race and weight change in US women: the roles of socioeconomic and marital status,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 319–323, 1991.
- H. S. Kahn and D. F. Williamson, “Is race associated with weight change in US adults after adjustment for income, education, and marital factors?” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 53, no. 6, 1991.
- S. Lee, E. Cho, F. Grodstein, I. Kawachi, F. B. Hu, and G. A. Colditz, “Effects of marital transitions on changes in dietary and other health behaviours in US women,” International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 69–78, 2005.
- B. Rauschenbach, J. Sobal, and E. A. Frongillo Jr, “The influence of change in marital status on weight change over one year,” Obesity research, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 319–327, 1995.
- A. M. Rissanen, M. Heliovaara, P. Knekt, A. Reunanen, and A. Aromaa, “Determinants of weight gain and overweight in adult Finns,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 45, no. 9, pp. 419–430, 1991.
- R. Schulz, S. R. Beach, B. Lind et al., “Involvement in caregiving and adjustment to death of a spouse: findings from the caregiver health effects study,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 285, no. 24, pp. 3123–3129, 2001.
- D. R. Shahar, R. Schultz, A. Shahar, and R. R. Wing, “The effect of widowhood on weight change, dietary intake, and eating behavior in the elderly population,” Journal of Aging and Health, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 186–199, 2001.
- N. S. The and P. Gordon-Larsen, “Entry into romantic partnership is associated with obesity,” Obesity, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 1441–1447, 2009.
- D. Umberson, “Gender, marital status and the social control of health behavior,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 34, no. 8, pp. 907–917, 1992.
- S. Wilcox, A. Aragaki, C. P. Mouton, K. R. Evenson, S. Wassertheil-Smoller, and B. L. Loevinger, “The effects of widowhood on physical and mental health, health behaviors, and health outcomes: the women's health initiative,” Health Psychology, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 513–522, 2003.
- S. C. Gorber, M. Tremblay, D. Moher, and B. Gorber, “A comparison of direct vs. self-report measures for assessing height, weight and body mass index: a systematic review,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 307–326, 2007.
- U.S. Census Bureau, Current Population Survey-March, and Annual Social and Economic Supplements. Table MS-1. Marital Status of the Population, 15 Years Old and Over by Sex and Race: 1950 to the Present, http://www.census.gov/population/socdemo/hh-fam/ms1.xls, 2011.
- U.S. Census Bureau, Newsroom: Families & Households: Census Bureau Reports Families With Children Increasingly Face Unemployment, http://www.census.gov/newsroom/releases/archives/families_households/cb10-08.html, 2011.
- U.S. Census Bureau, Current Population Survey-March, and Annual Social and Economic Supplements. Table MS-2. Estimated Median Age at First Marriage, by Sex: 1890 to the Present, http://www.census.gov/population/socdemo/hh-fam/ms2.xls, 2011.
- D. de Vaus, Diversity and Change in Australian Families: Statistical Profiles, Australian Institute of Family Studies, Melbourne, Australia, 2004.
- K. E. Joutsenniemi, T. P. Martelin, S. V. Koskinen et al., “Official marital status, cohabiting, and self-rated health—time trends in Finland, 1978–2001,” European Journal of Public Health, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 476–483, 2006.
- Official Statistics of Finland (OSF): Changes in marital status 2010, http://www.stat.fi/til/ssaaty/2010/index_en.html., 2012.
- A. Morrison, D. Headrick, F. Wasoff, and S. Morton, Family Formation and Dissolution: Trends and Attitudes among the Scottish Population, Centre for Research on Families and Relationships, Edinburgh,UK, 2004.
- S. A. French, M. Story, and R. W. Jeffery, “Environmental influences on eating and physical activity,” Annual Review of Public Health, vol. 22, pp. 309–335, 2001.
- G. J. Gates, Same-Sex Couples and the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual Population: New Estimates from the American Community Survey, http://escholarship.org/uc/item/8h08t0zf, 2011.
- D. Tumin and Z. Qian, “Marital transitions and weight changes,” in Proceedings of the 106th Annual American Sociological Association Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, Nev, USA, August 2011.
- A. H. Lichtenstein and D. S. Ludwig, “Bring back home economics education,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 303, no. 18, pp. 1857–1858, 2010.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “School health guidelines to promote healthy eating and physical activity,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 28–33, 2011.
- V. Burke, N. Giangiulio, H. F. Gillam, L. J. Beilin, S. Houghton, and R. A. K. Milligan, “Health promotion in couples adapting to a shared lifestyle,” Health Education Research, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 269–288, 1999.
- V. Burke, N. Giangiulio, H. F. Gillam, L. J. Beilin, and S. Houghton, “Physical activity and nutrition programs for couples: a randomized controlled trial,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 421–432, 2003.
- K. N. Gardiner, M. E. Fishman, P. Nikolov, A. Glosser, and S. Laud, State policies to promote marriage: final report, September 2002, http://aspe.hhs.gov/hsp/marriage02f/, 2012.