- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 318176, 8 pages
Treadmill Calibration of the Actigraph GT1M in Young-to-Middle-Aged Obese-to-Severely Obese Subjects
1Faculty of Health Studies, Sogn og Fjordane University College, P.O. Box 523, 6803 Førde, Norway
2Department of Sports Medicine, Norwegian School of Sport Sciences, P.O. Box 4014, Ullevaal Stadion, 0806 Oslo, Norway
Received 21 August 2012; Revised 2 October 2012; Accepted 2 October 2012
Academic Editor: David Allison
Copyright © 2012 Eivind Aadland and Sigmund Alfred Anderssen. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- US Department of Health and Human Services, “Physical activity guidelines advisory committee report 2008. Part A: executive Summary,” Nutrition Reviews, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 114–120, 2009.
- W. L. Haskell, I. M. Lee, R. R. Pate et al., “Physical activity and public health: updated recommendation for adults from the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Heart Association,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 39, no. 8, pp. 1423–1434, 2007.
- P. S. Freedson, E. Melanson, and J. Sirard, “Calibration of the computer science and applications, Inc. accelerometer,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 777–781, 1998.
- J. F. Nichols, C. G. Morgan, L. E. Chabot, J. F. Sallis, and K. J. Calfas, “Assessment of physical activity with the computer science and applications, Inc., accelerometer: laboratory versus field validation,” Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 36–43, 2000.
- A. Yngve, A. Nilsson, M. Sjöström, and U. Ekelund, “Effect of monitor placement and of activity setting on the MTI accelerometer output,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 320–326, 2003.
- S. Brage, N. Wedderkopp, P. W. Franks, L. Bo Andersen, and K. Froberg, “Reexamination of validity and reliability of the CSA monitor in walking and running,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 35, no. 8, pp. 1447–1454, 2003.
- N. Y. J. M. Leenders, T. E. Nelson, and W. M. Sherman, “Ability of different physical activity monitors to detect movement during treadmill walking,” International Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 43–50, 2003.
- D. Hendelman, K. Miller, C. Baggett, E. Debold, and P. Freedson, “Validity of accelerometry for the assessment of moderate intensity physical activity in the field,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 32, no. 9, pp. S442–S449, 2000.
- A. M. Swartz, S. J. Strath, D. R. Bassett, W. L. O'Brien, G. A. King, and B. E. Ainsworth, “Estimation of energy expenditure using CSA accelerometers at hip and wrist sites,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 32, no. 9, pp. S450–S456, 2000.
- V. P. Lopes, P. Magalhães, J. Bragada, and C. Vasques, “Actigraph calibration in obese/overweight and type 2 diabetes mellitus middle-aged to old adult patients.,” Journal of Physical Activity & Health, vol. 6, supplement 1, pp. S133–S140, 2009.
- J. S. Metzger, D. J. Catellier, K. R. Evenson, M. S. Treuth, W. D. Rosamond, and A. M. Siega-Riz, “Patterns of objectively measured physical activity in the United States,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 630–638, 2008.
- S. J. Strath, K. A. Pfeiffer, and M. C. Whitt-Glover, “Accelerometer use with children, older adults, and adults with functional limitations,” Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, vol. 44, supplement 1, pp. S77–S85, 2012.
- R. C. Browning, E. A. Baker, J. A. Herron, and R. Kram, “Effects of obesity and sex on the energetic cost and preferred speed of walking,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 390–398, 2006.
- O. S. Mian, J. M. Thom, L. P. Ardigò, M. V. Narici, and A. E. Minetti, “Metabolic cost, mechanical work, and efficiency during walking in young and older men,” Acta Physiologica, vol. 186, no. 2, pp. 127–139, 2006.
- D. S. Peterson and P. E. Martin, “Effects of age and walking speed on coactivation and cost of walking in healthy adults,” Gait and Posture, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 355–359, 2010.
- Y. Feito, D. R. Bassett, B. Tyo, and D. L. Thompson, “Effects of body mass index and tilt angle on output of two wearable activity monitors,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 861–866, 2011.
- N. E. Miller, S. J. Strath, A. M. Swartz, and S. E. Cashin, “Estimating absolute and relative physical activity intensity across age via accelerometry in adults,” Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 158–170, 2010.
- N. M. Byrne, A. P. Hills, G. R. Hunter, R. L. Weinsier, and Y. Schutz, “Metabolic equivalent: one size does not fit all,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 99, no. 3, pp. 1112–1119, 2005.
- J. J. Kavanagh and H. B. Menz, “Accelerometry: a technique for quantifying movement patterns during walking,” Gait and Posture, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 1–15, 2008.
- H. J. Yack and R. C. Berger, “Dynamic stability in the elderly: identifying a possible measure,” Journals of Gerontology, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. M225–M230, 1993.
- S. Kozey, K. Lyden, J. Staudenmayer, and P. Freedson, “Errors in MET estimates of physical activities using 3.5 ml.kg−1. min−1 as the baseline oxygen consumption,” Journal of Physical Activity and Health, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 508–516, 2010.
- E. T. Howley, “To the editor,” Journal of Physical Activity and Health, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 141–142, 2011.
- B. E. Ainsworth, W. L. Haskell, S. D. Herrmann et al., “2011 compendium of physical activities: a second update of codes and MET values,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 43, no. 8, pp. 1575–1581, 2011.
- N. F. Butte, U. Ekelund, and K. R. Westerterp, “Assessing physical activity using wearable monitors: measures of physical activity,” Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, vol. 44, supplement 1, pp. S5–S12, 2012.
- J. S. Harrell, R. G. Mcmurray, C. D. Baggett, M. L. Pennell, P. F. Pearce, and S. I. Bangdiwala, “Energy costs of physical activities in children and adolescents,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 329–336, 2005.
- K. Ridley and T. S. Olds, “Assigning energy costs to activities in children: a review and synthesis,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 1439–1446, 2008.
- D. R. Bassett, A. Rowlands, and S. G. Trost, “Calibration and validation of wearable monitors,” Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, vol. 44, supplement 1, pp. S32–SS8, 2012.
- G. J. Welk, “Principles of design and analyses for the calibration of accelerometry-based activity monitors,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 37, no. 11, pp. S501–S511, 2005.
- D. John and P. Freedson, “ActiGraph and Actical physical activity monitors: a peek under the hood,” Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, vol. 44, supplement 1, pp. S86–SS9, 2012.
- A. P. Gagge, A. C. Burton, and H. C. Bazett, “A practical system of units for the description of the heat exchange of man with his environment,” Science, vol. 94, no. 2445, pp. 428–430, 1941.
- J.I. Medbø, A. Mamen, and G.K. Resaland, “New examination of the performance of the MetaMax i metabolic analyser with the Douglas-bag technique,” Scandinavian Journal of Clinical and Laboratory Investigation, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. 158–168, 2012.
- T. Fawcett, “An introduction to ROC analysis,” Pattern Recognition Letters, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 861–874, 2006.
- R. P. Troiano, D. Berrigan, K. W. Dodd, L. C. Mâsse, T. Tilert, and M. Mcdowell, “Physical activity in the United States measured by accelerometer,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 181–188, 2008.
- M. P. Rothney, G. A. Apker, Y. Song, and K. Y. Chen, “Comparing the performance of three generations of ActiGraph accelerometers,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 105, no. 4, pp. 1091–1097, 2008.
- S. L. Kozey, J. W. Staudenmayer, R. P. Troiano, and P. S. Freedson, “Comparison of the actigraph 7164 and the actigraph GT1M during self-paced locomotion,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 971–976, 2010.
- D. John, B. Tyo, and D. R. Bassett, “Comparison of four actigraph accelerometers during walking and running,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 368–374, 2010.
- B. S. Metcalf, J. S. H. Curnow, C. Evans, L. D. Voss, and T. J. Wilkin, “Technical reliability of the CSA activity monitor: the EarlyBird Study,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 34, no. 9, pp. 1533–1537, 2002.
- C. Tudor-Locke, M. M. Brashear, W. D. Johnson, and P. T. Katzmarzyk, “Accelerometer profiles of physical activity and inactivity in normal weight, overweight, and obese U.S. men and women,” International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, vol. 7, p. 60, 2010.
- M. Hagströmer, P. Oja, and M. Sjöström, “Physical activity and inactivity in an adult population assessed by accelerometry,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 39, no. 9, pp. 1502–1508, 2007.
- A. R. Cooper, A. Page, K. R. Fox, and J. Misson, “Physical activity patterns in normal, overweight and obese individuals using minute-by-minute accelerometry,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 54, no. 12, pp. 887–894, 2000.
- J. E. Sasaki, D. John, and P. S. Freedson, “Validation and comparison of ActiGraph activity monitors,” Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 411–416, 2011.