- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 407103, 8 pages
Binge Eating Disorder Mediates Links between Symptoms of Depression, Anxiety, and Caloric Intake in Overweight and Obese Women
1Department of Human and Molecular Genetics, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
2Virginia Institute for Psychiatric and Behavioral Genetics, Virginia Commonwealth University, Biotechnology I, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
3Department of Psychiatry, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
4Department of Psychiatry, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
5Department of Psychology, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, NV 89154, USA
Received 31 December 2011; Revised 19 February 2012; Accepted 14 April 2012
Academic Editor: Kristin Schneider
Copyright © 2012 Roseann E. Peterson et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- American Psychiatric Association, Ed., Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Washington, DC, USA, 4th edition, 1994.
- R. A. Grucza, T. R. Przybeck, and C. R. Cloninger, “Prevalence and correlates of binge eating disorder in a community sample,” Comprehensive Psychiatry, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 124–131, 2007.
- R. L. Spitzer, S. Yanovski, T. Wadden et al., “Binge eating disorder: its further validation in a multisite study,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 137–153, 1993.
- M. de Zwaan, “Binge eating disorder and obesity,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 25, supplement 1, pp. S51–S55, 2001.
- S. Z. Yanovski, M. Leet, J. A. Yanovski et al., “Food selection and intake of obese women with binge-eating disorder,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 975–980, 1992.
- J. A. Goldfein, B. T. Walsh, J. L. LaChaussee, H. R. Kissileff, and M. J. Devlin, “Eating behavior in binge eating disorder,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 427–431, 1993.
- E. A. Cooke, J. L. Guss, H. R. Kissileff, M. J. Devlin, and B.T. Walsh, “Patterns of food selection during binges in women with binge eating disorder,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 187–193, 1997.
- B. A. Gosnell, J. E. Mitchell, K. L. Lancaster, M. A. Burgard, S. A. Wonderlich, and R. D. Crosby, “Food presentation and energy intake in a feeding laboratory study of subjects with binge eating disorder,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 441–446, 2001.
- A. Geliebter, G. Hassid, and S. A. Hashim, “Test meal intake in obese binge eaters in relation to mood and gender,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 488–494, 2001.
- J. L. Guss, H. R. Kissileff, M. J. Devlin, E. Zimmerli, and B. T. Walsh, “Binge size increases with body mass index in women with binge-eating disorder,” Obesity Research, vol. 10, no. 10, pp. 1021–1029, 2002.
- N. C. Raymond, B. Neumeyer, C. S. Warren, S. S. Lee, and C. B. Peterson, “Energy intake patterns in obese women with binge eating disorder,” Obesity Research, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 869–879, 2003.
- L. T. Bartholome, N. C. Raymond, S. S. Lee, C. B. Peterson, and C. S. Warren, “Detailed analysis of binges in obese women with binge eating disorder: comparisons using multiple methods of data collection,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 39, no. 8, pp. 685–693, 2006.
- L. T. Bartholome, R. E. Peterson, S. K. Raatz, and N. C. Raymond, “A comparison of the accuracy of self-reported intake with measured intake of a laboratory overeating episode in overweight and obese women with and without binge eating disorder,” European Journal of Nutrition. In press.
- R. C. Kessler, W. T. Chui, O. Demler, and E. E. Walters, “Prevalence, severity, and comorbidity of 12-month DSM-IV disorders in the National Comorbidity Survey Replication,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 617–627, 2005.
- T. W. Strine, A. H. Mokdad, S. R. Dube et al., “The association of depression and anxiety with obesity and unhealthy behaviors among community-dwelling US adults,” General Hospital Psychiatry, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 127–137, 2008.
- M. de Zwaan, J. E. Mitchell, H. C. Seim et al., “Eating related and general psychopathology in obese females with binge eating disorder,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 43–52, 1994.
- C. M. Grilo, M. A. White, and R. M. Masheb, “DSM-IV psychiatric disorder comorbidity and its correlates in binge eating disorder,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 228–234, 2009.
- L. Azarbad, J. Corsica, B. Hall, and M. Hood, “Psychosocial correlates of binge eating in Hispanic, African American, and Caucasian women presenting for bariatric surgery,” Eating Behaviors, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 79–84, 2010.
- L. Jones-Corneille, T. Wadden, D. Sarwer et al., “Axis I psychopathology in bariatric surgery candidates with and without binge eating disorder: results of structured clinical interviews,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 389–397, 2012.
- N. Raymond, R. Peterson, L. Bartholome, S. Raatz, M. Jensen, and J. Levine, “Comparisons of energy intake and energy expenditure in overweight and obese women with and without binge eating disorder,” Obesity, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 765–772, 2012.
- M. B. First, R. L. Spitzer, M. Gibbon, and J. B. W. Williams, Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-IV Axis I Disorders. Patient Edition (SCID-P, Version 2), New York State Psychiatric Institute, Biometrics Research, New York, NY, USA, 1995.
- C. G. Fairburn and Z. Cooper, The Eating Disorder Examination, Guilford, New York, NY, USA, 1993.
- N. C. Raymond, L. T. Bartholome, S. S. Lee, R. E. Peterson, and S. K. Raatz, “A comparison of energy intake and food selection during laboratory binge eating episodes in obese women with and without a binge eating disorder diagnosis,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 67–71, 2007.
- Nutritionist IV, Hearst Corporation, San Burno, Calif, USA, 1999.
- A. T. Bcek, C. H. Ward, M. Mendelson, J. Mock, and J. Erbaugh, “An inventory for measuring depression,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 4, pp. 561–571, 1961.
- A. T. Beck, N. Epstein, G. Brown, and R. A. Steer, “An inventory for measuring clinical anxiety: psychometric properties,” Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 893–897, 1988.
- M. A. Stanley and J. G. Beck, “Anxiety disorders,” Clinical Psychology Review, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 731–754, 2000.
- A. T. Beck, R. A. Steer, and M. G. Garbin, “Psychometric properties of the Beck Depression Inventory: twenty-five years of evaluation,” Clinical Psychology Review, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 77–100, 1988.
- L. K. Muthén and B. O. Muthén, Mplus User’s Guide, version 5.0, 5th edition, 2007.
- D. MacKinnon, C. Lockwood, J. Hoffman, S. G. West, and V. Sheets, “A comparison of methods to test mediation and other intervening variable effects,” Psychological Methods, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 83–104, 2002.
- R. M. Baron and D. A. Kenny, “The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research. Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations,” Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 1173–1182, 1986.
- C. M. Judd and D. A. Kenny, “Process analysis,” Evaluation Review, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 602–619, 1981.
- K. Preacher and A. Hayes, “SPSS and SAS procedures for estimating indirect effects in simple mediation models,” Behavior Research Methods, Instruments, and Computers, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 717–731, 2004.
- P. Armitage and T. Colton, Encyclopedia of Biostatistics, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2005.
- R Development Core Team, R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing, version 2.9.2., 2009.
- C. Peterson, P. Thuras, D. Ackard et al., “Personality dimensions in bulimia nervosa, binge eating disorder, and obesity,” Comprehensive Psychiatry, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 31–36, 2010.
- J. Fandiño, R. Moreira, C. Preissler et al., “Impact of binge eating disorder in the psychopathological profile of obese women,” Comprehensive Psychiatry, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 110–114, 2010.
- C. F. Telch, E. M. Pratt, and S. H. Niego, “Obese women with binge eating disorder define the term binge,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 313–317, 1998.
- J. Smyth, S. Wonderlich, M. Sliwinski et al., “Ecological momentary assessment of affect, stress, and binge-purge behaviors: day of week and time of day effects in the natural environment,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 429–436, 2009.
- J. Smyth, S. Wonderlich, R. Crosby, R. Miltenberger, J. Mitchell, and M. Rorty, “The use of ecological momentary assessment approaches in eating disorder research,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 83–95, 2001.
- R. Stein, J. Kenardy, C. Wiseman, J. Dounchis, B. Arnow, and D. Wilfley, “What's driving the binge in binge eating disorder? A prospective examination of precursors and consequences,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 195–203, 2007.
- A. Hilbert and B. Tuschen-Caffier, “Maintenance of binge eating through negative mood: a naturalistic comparison of binge eating disorder and bulimia nervosa,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 521–530, 2007.
- A. Haedt-Matt and P. Keel, “Revisiting the affect regulation model of binge eating: a meta-analysis of studies using ecological momentary assessment,” Psychological Bulletin, vol. 137, no. 4, pp. 660–681, 2011.
- S. Pagoto, J. Bodenlos, L. Kantor, M. Gitkind, C. Curtin, and Y. Ma, “Association of major depression and binge eating disorder with weight loss in a clinical setting,” Obesity, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 2557–2559, 2007.
- R. M. Masheb and C. M. Grilo, “Examination of predictors and moderators for self-help treatments of binge-eating disorder,” Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, vol. 76, no. 5, pp. 900–904, 2008.
- A. M. Prentice, A. E. Black, W. A. Coward, et al., “High levels of energy expenditure in obese women,” British Medical Journal, vol. 292, no. 6526, pp. 983–987, 1986.
- S. W. Lichtman, K. Pisarska, E. R. Berman et al., “Discrepancy between self-reported and actual caloric intake and exercise in obese subjects,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 327, no. 27, pp. 1893–1898, 1992.
- A. E. Black, A. M. Prentice, G. R. Goldberg et al., “Measurements of total energy expenditure provide insights into the validity of dietary measurements of energy intake,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 93, no. 5, pp. 572–579, 1993.
- S. Z. Yanovski and N. G. Sebring, “Recorded food intake of obese women with binge eating disorder before and after weight loss,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 135–150, 1994.
- K. Westerterp and A. H. C. Goris, “Validity of the assessment of dietary intake: problems of misreporting,” Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 489–493, 2002.
- F. B. Scagliusi, E. Ferriolli, K. Pfrimer et al., “Characteristics of women who frequently under report their energy intake: a doubly labelled water study,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 63, no. 10, pp. 1192–1199, 2009.