- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 460321, 12 pages
All-Cause Mortality Risk of Metabolically Healthy Obese Individuals in NHANES III
Department of Nutritional Sciences, The Pennsylvania State University, 110 Chandlee Building, University Park, PA 16801, USA
Received 1 August 2012; Revised 29 October 2012; Accepted 29 October 2012
Academic Editor: Jack A. Yanovski
Copyright © 2012 C. M. Durward et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [32 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Catherine M. Phillips, “Metabolically healthy obesity: Definitions, determinants and clinical implications,” Reviews in Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders, 2013.
- Norbert Stefan, Hans-Ulrich Häring, Frank B Hu, and Matthias B Schulze, “Metabolically healthy obesity: epidemiology, mechanisms, and clinical implications,” The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology, 2013.
- Holly Kramer, Lara Dugas, and David Shoham, “Obesity as an effect modifier of the risk of death in chronic kidney disease,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 28, pp. 65–72, 2013.
- T. H. Meek, J. C. Eisenmann, B. K. Keeney, R. M. Hannon, E. M. Dlugosz, and T. Garland, “Effects of early-life exposure to Western diet and wheel access on metabolic syndrome profiles in mice bred for high voluntary exercise,” Genes, Brain and Behavior, 2013.
- Timothy D. Heden, Ying Liu, Monica L. Kearney, and Jill A. Kanaley, “Weight classification does not influence the short-term endocrine or metabolic effects of high-fructose corn syrup-sweetened beverages,” Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism, pp. 1–9, 2013.
- S M Camhi, and P T Katzmarzyk, “Differences in body composition between metabolically healthy obese and metabolically abnormal obese adults,” International Journal of Obesity, 2013.
- Nele Friedrich, Harald J. Schneider, Ulrich John, Marcus Dörr, Sebastian E. Baumeister, Georg Homuth, Uwe Völker, and Henri Wallaschofski, “Correlates of Adverse Outcomes in Abdominally Obese Individuals: Findings from the Five-Year Followup of the Population-Based Study of Health in Pomerania,” Journal of Obesity, vol. 2013, pp. 1–7, 2013.
- Sarah M. Camhi, Molly E. Waring, Susan B. Sisson, Laura L. Hayman, and Aviva Must, “Physical Activity and Screen Time in Metabolically Healthy Obese Phenotypes in Adolescents and Adults,” Journal of Obesity, vol. 2013, pp. 1–10, 2013.
- Patchaya Boonchaya-anant, and Caroline M. Apovian, “Metabolically Healthy Obesity—Does it Exist?,” Current Atherosclerosis Reports, vol. 16, no. 10, 2014.
- J. P. Rey-López, L. F. de Rezende, M. Pastor-Valero, and B. H. Tess, “The prevalence of metabolically healthy obesity: a systematic review and critical evaluation of the definitions used,” Obesity Reviews, 2014.
- Alberto Goday, David Benaiges, Alejandra Parri, José M. Ramón, Juana A. Flores-Le Roux, and Juan Pedro Botet, “Can bariatric surgery improve cardiovascular risk factors in the metabolically healthy but morbidly obese patient?,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, 2014.
- A. Esteghamati, Z. Aryan, A. Esteghamati, and M. Nakhjavani, “Differences in vitamin D concentration between metabolically healthy and unhealthy obese adults: Associations with inflammatory and cardiometabolic markers in 4391 subjects,” Diabetes & Metabolism, 2014.
- Mohammadhassan Mirbolouk, Samaneh Asgari, Farhad Sheikholeslami, Fardin Mirbolouk, Fereidoun Azizi, and Farzad Hadaegh, “Different obesity phenotypes, and incident cardiovascular disease and mortality events in elderly Iranians: Tehran lipid and glucose study,” Geriatrics & Gerontology International, 2014.
- Ahmed O. Almobarak, Salma Barakat, Mai H. Khalifa, Mohamed H. Elhoweris, Tayseer M. Elhassan, and Mohamed H. Ahmed, “Non alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) in a Sudanese population: What is the prevalence and risk factors?,” Arab Journal of Gastroenterology, 2014.
- Ruth W. Kimokoti, Suzanne E. Judd, James M. Shikany, and P. K. Newby, “Food Intake Does Not Differ between Obese Women Who Are Metabolically Healthy or Abnormal,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 144, no. 12, pp. 2018–2026, 2014.
- Patchaya Boonchaya-anant, Michael F. Holick, and Caroline M. Apovian, “Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Levels and Metabolic Health Status in Extremely Obese Individuals,” Obesity, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 2539–2543, 2014.
- Matthias Blueher, “Are metabolically healthy obese individuals really healthy?,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 171, no. 6, pp. R209–R219, 2014.
- Shakun Karki, Doan TM Ngo, Sherman J Bigornia, Melissa G Farb, and Noyan Gokce, “Insulin resistance: a key therapeutic target for cardiovascular risk reduction in obese patients?,” Expert Review of Endocrinology & Metabolism, pp. 1–3, 2014.
- Laura D. Howe, Esther Zimmermann, Ram Weiss, and Thorkild I. A. Sorensen, “Do rapid BMI growth in childhood and early-onset obesity offer cardiometabolic protection to obese adults in mid-life? Analysis of a longitudinal cohort study of Danish men,” Bmj Open, vol. 4, no. 4, 2014.
- Lixia Gan, Wei Xiang, Bin Xie, and Liqing Yu, “Molecular mechanisms of fatty liver in obesity,” Frontiers of Medicine, 2015.
- I S Okosun, J P Seale, and R Lyn, “Commingling effect of gynoid and android fat patterns on cardiometabolic dysregulation in normal weight American adults,” Nutrition & Diabetes, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. e155, 2015.
- Jae-Hong Ryoo, Sung Keun Park, Sungmin Ye, Joong-Myung Choi, Chang-Mo Oh, Sun Yong Kim, Ju-Young Shin, Jai Hyung Park, Hyun Pyo Hong, and Taeg Su Ko, “Estimation of risk for diabetes according to the metabolically healthy status stratified by degree of obesity in Korean men,” Endocrine, 2015.
- S-H Lee, K Han, H K Yang, H-S Kim, J-H Cho, H-S Kwon, Y-M Park, B-Y Cha, and K-H Yoon, “A novel criterion for identifying metabolically obese but normal weight individuals using the product of triglycerides and glucose,” Nutrition & Diabetes, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. e149, 2015.
- Susan T. Laing, Beverly Smulevitz, Kristina P. Vatcheva, Mohammad H. Rahbar, Belinda Reininger, David D. McPherson, Joseph B. McCormick, and Susan P. Fisher-Hoch, “Subclinical Atherosclerosis and Obesity Phenotypes Among Mexican Americans,” Journal Of The American Heart Association, vol. 4, no. 3, 2015.
- Catherine J Metzgar, and Sharon M Nickols-Richardson, “Determinants of Weight Gain Prevention in Young Adult and Midlife Women: Study Design and Protocol of a Randomized Controlled Trial,” JMIR Research Protocols, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. e36, 2015.
- Tatiana F. S. Teixeira, Raquel D. M. Alves, Ana Paula B. Moreira, and Maria do Carmo G. Peluzio, “Main characteristics of metabolically obese normal weight and metabolically healthy obese phenotypes,” Nutrition Reviews, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 175–190, 2015.
- Elisa Fabbrini, Jun Yoshino, Mihoko Yoshino, Faidon Magkos, Courtney Tiemann Luecking, Dmitri Samovski, Gemma Fraterrigo, Adewole L. Okunade, Bruce W. Patterson, and Samuel Klein, “Metabolically normal obese people are protected from adverse effects following weight gain,” Journal Of Clinical Investigation, vol. 125, no. 2, pp. 787–795, 2015.
- Catherine P. Benziger, Antonio Bernabe-Ortiz, Robert H. Gilman, William Checkley, Liam Smeeth, German Malaga, and J. Jaime Miranda, “Metabolic Abnormalities Are Common among South American Hispanics Subjects with Normal Weight or Excess Body Weight: The CRONICAS Cohort Study,” Plos One, vol. 10, no. 11, 2015.
- Thomas E. Rohan, Sylvia Wassertheil-Smoller, Gloria Y. F. Ho, Judith Wylie-Rosett, Theresa Greco, Herbert Yu, Jeannette Beasley, Howard D. Strickler, Marc J. Gunter, Xianhong Xie, Xiaonan Xue, and Geoffrey C. Kabat, “Breast Cancer Risk in Metabolically Healthy but Overweight Postmenopausal Women,” Cancer Research, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 270–274, 2015.
- Elisa Fabbrini, Jun Yoshino, Mihoko Yoshino, Faidon Magkos, Courtney Tiemann Luecking, Dmitri Samovski, Gemma Fraterrigo, Adewole L. Okunade, Bruce W. Patterson, and Samuel Klein, “Metabolically normal obese people are protected from adverse effects following weight gain,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, 2015.
- Petros Constantinopoulos, Marina Michalaki, Anastasia Kottorou, Ioannis Habeos, Agathoklis Psyrogiannis, Fotios Kalfarentzos, and Venetsana Kyriazopoulou, “Cortisol in tissue and systemic level as a contributing factor to the development of metabolic syndrome in severely obese patients,” European Journal Of Endocrinology, vol. 172, no. 1, 2015.
- Aline de Castro Pimentel, Mauara Scorsatto, Gláucia Maria Moraes de Oliveira, Glorimar Rosa, and Ronir Raggio Luiz, “Characterization of Metabolically Healthy Obese Brazilians and Cardiovascular Risk Prediction,” Nutrition, 2015.