- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 492410, 7 pages
A Comparison between Atlantic Canadian and National Correction Equations to Improve the Accuracy of Self-Reported Obesity Estimates in Atlantic Canada
1School of Nursing, Memorial University, St. John's, NL, Canada A1B 3V6
2Surveillance and Epidemiology Unit, Cancer Care Nova Scotia, Halifax, NS, Canada B3H 2Y9
3Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Control, Public Health Agency of Canada, Ottawa, ON, Canada K1A 0K9
Received 10 September 2012; Accepted 9 November 2012
Academic Editor: Yvon Chagnon
Copyright © 2012 Cynthia L. Murray et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- World Health Organization, “Obesity and overweight,” 2012, http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs311/en/index.html.
- D. P. Guh, W. Zhang, N. Bansback, Z. Amarsi, C. L. Birmingham, and A. H. Anis, “The incidence of co-morbidities related to obesity and overweight: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” BMC Public Health, vol. 9, article 88, pp. 1–20, 2009.
- H. M. Orpana, J. M. Berthelot, M. S. Kaplan, D. H. Feeny, B. McFarland, and N. A. Ross, “BMI and mortality: results from a national longitudinal study of Canadian adults,” Obesity, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 214–218, 2010.
- A. H. Anis, W. Zhang, N. Bansback, D. P. Guh, Z. Amarsi, and C. L. Birmingham, “Obesity and overweight in Canada: an updated cost-of-illness study,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 31–40, 2010.
- Public Health Agency of Canada and the Canadian Institute for Health Information, Obesity in Canada, The Agency and Institute, Ottawa, Canada, 2011.
- Health Canada, “Canadian guidelines for body weight classification in adults: Quick reference tool for professionals,” 2008, http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/nutrition/weights-poids/guide-ld-adult/cg_quick_ref-ldc_rapide_ref-eng.php.
- S. Connor Gorber, M. Shields, M. S. Tremblay, and I. McDowell, “The feasibility of establishing correction factors to adjust self-reported estimates of obesity,” Health Reports, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 71–82, 2008.
- M. Shields, S. Connor Gorber, and M. S. Tremblay, “Estimates of obesity based on self-report versus direct measures,” Health Reports, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 61–76, 2008.
- M. Shields, S. Connor Gorber, and M. S. Tremblay, “Effects of measurement on obesity and morbidity,” Health Reports, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 77–84, 2008.
- A. J. Hayes, P. M. Clarke, and T. W. C. Lung, “Change in bias in self-reported body mass index in Australia between 1995 and 2008 and the evaluation of correction equations,” Population Health Metrics, vol. 9, Article ID 53, 2011.
- A. Mozumdar and G. Liguori, “Correction equations to adjust self-reported height and weight for obesity estimates among college students,” Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, vol. 82, no. 3, pp. 391–399, 2011.
- R. B. Jain, “Regression models to predict corrected weight, height and obesity prevalence from self-reported data: data from BRFSS 1999–2007,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 34, no. 11, pp. 1655–1664, 2010.
- M. Nyholm, B. Gullberg, J. Merlo, C. Lundqvist-Persson, L. Råstam, and U. Lindblad, “The validity of obesity based on self-reported weight and height: implications for population studies,” Obesity, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 197–208, 2007.
- M. Ezzati, H. Martin, S. Skjold, S. Vander Hoorn, and C. J. L. Murray, “Trends in national and state-level obesity in the USA after correction for self-report bias: analysis of health surveys,” Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, vol. 99, no. 5, pp. 250–257, 2006.
- M. Shields, S. Connor Gorber, I. Janssen, and M. S. Tremblay, “Bias in self-reported estimates of obesity in Canadian health surveys: an update on correction equations for adults,” Health Reports, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 35–45, 2011.
- S. Connor Gorber and M. S. Tremblay, “The bias in self-reported obesity from 1976 to 2005: a Canada-US comparison,” Obesity, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 354–361, 2010.
- Statistics Canada, “Canadian Community Health Survey (CCHS): 2007 Microdata files user guide,” 2008, http://www.statcan.gc.ca/imdb-bmdi/document/3226_D7_T9_V4-eng.pdf.
- Statistics Canada, “Canadian Community Health Survey (CCHS)-Annual component: user guide 2008 microdata files,” 2009, http://www.statcan.gc.ca/imdb-bmdi/document/3226_D7_T9_V5-eng.pdf.
- J. Pedro, “Study on the reliability of the weighing scales used in the 2008 Canadian Community Health Survey (CCHS) for the measured height and weight (MHW) module,” 2009, http://www.statcan.gc.ca/imdb-bmdi/document/3226_D63_T9_V1-eng.htm.
- M. W. Plankey, J. Stevens, K. M. Flegal, and P. F. Rust, “Prediction equations do not eliminate systematic error in self-reported body mass index,” Obesity Research, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 308–314, 1997.
- A. Chiolero, I. Peytremann-Bridevaux, and F. Paccaud, “Associations between obesity and health conditions may be overestimated if self-reported body mass index is used,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 373–374, 2007.
- F. J. Elgar and J. M. Stewart, “Validity of self-report screening for overweight and obesity: evidence from the Canadian community health survey,” Canadian Journal of Public Health, vol. 99, no. 5, pp. 423–427, 2008.
- M. Yannakoulia, D. B. Panagiotakos, C. Pitsavos, and C. Stefanadis, “Correlates of BMI misreporting among apparently healthy individuals: the ATTICA study,” Obesity, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 894–901, 2006.
- J. Gil and T. Mora, “The determinants of misreporting weight and height: the role of social norms,” Economics and Human Biology, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 78–91, 2011.
- J. L. Grant, K. C. MacKay, P. M. Manuel, and T. L. F. McHugh, “Barriers to optimizing investments in the built environment to reduce youth obesity: policy-maker perspectives,” Canadian Journal of Public Health, vol. 101, no. 3, pp. 237–240, 2010.
- World Health Organization, “Body mass index,” 2012, http://www.euro.who.int/en/what-we-do/health-topics/disease-prevention/nutrition/a-healthy-lifestyle/body-mass-index-bmi.