- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 697563, 5 pages
Functional Movement Is Negatively Associated with Weight Status and Positively Associated with Physical Activity in British Primary School Children
Department of Biomolecular and Sports Sciences, Coventry University, Coventry CV1 5FB, UK
Received 29 November 2011; Revised 17 January 2012; Accepted 21 January 2012
Academic Editor: George P. Nassis
Copyright © 2012 Michael J. Duncan and Michelle Stanley. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. J. Duncan, A. Nevill, L. Woodfield, and Y. Al-Nakeeb, “The relationship between pedometer-determined physical activity, body mass index and lean body mass index in children,” International Journal of Pediatric Obesity, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 445–450, 2010.
- A. P. Hills, E. M. Hennig, N. M. Byrne, and J. R. Steele, “The biomechanics of adiposity—structural and functional limitations of obesity and implications for movement,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 35–43, 2002.
- S. C. Wearing, E. M. Hennig, N. M. Byrne, J. R. Steele, and A. P. Hills, “The biomechanics of restricted movement in adult obesity,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 13–24, 2006.
- J. Nantel, M.-E. Mathieu, and F. Prince, “Physical activity and obesity: biomechancial and physiological key concepts,” Journal of Obesity, vol. 2011, Article ID 650230, 10 pages, 2011.
- R. H. Rozendal, “Biomechanics of standing and walking,” in Disorders of Gait and Posture, W. Bles and T. Brandt, Eds., pp. 3–18, Elsevier Scientific, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1986.
- T. J. Cole, M. C. Bellizzi, K. M. Flegal, and W. H. Dietz, “Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey,” British Medical Journal, vol. 320, no. 7244, pp. 1240–1243, 2000.
- S. G. Trost, “Objective measurement of physical activity in youth: current issues, future directions,” Exercise and Sport Sciences Reviews, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 32–36, 2001.
- C. Tudor-Locke, R. P. Pangrazi, C. B. Corbin et al., “BMI-referenced standards for recommended pedometer-determined steps/day in children,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 857–864, 2004.
- G. Cook, L. Burton, and B. Hoogenboom, “Pre-participation screening: the use of fundamental movements as an assessment of function—part 1,” North American Journal of Sports Physical Therapy, vol. 1, pp. 62–72, 2006.
- G. Cook, L. Burton, and B. Hoogenboom, “Pre-participation screening: the use of fundamental movements as an assessment of function—part 2,” North American Journal of Sports Physical Therapy, vol. 1, pp. 132–139, 2006.
- A. G. Schneiders, A. Davidsson, E. Horman, and J. S. Sullivan, “Functional Movement Screen Normative values in a young active population,” International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy, vol. 6, pp. 75–82, 2011.
- S. P. Messier, R. F. Loeser, M. N. Mitchell et al., “Exercise and weight loss in obese older adults with knee osteoarthritis: a preliminary study,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 48, no. 9, pp. 1062–1072, 2000.
- D. L. Riddiford-Harland, J. R. Steele, and L. H. Storlien, “Does obesity influence foot structure in prepubescent children?” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 541–544, 2000.
- A. M. Dowling, J. R. Steele, and L. A. Baur, “What are the effects of obesity in children on plantar pressure distributions?” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 1514–1519, 2004.
- E. Zoico, V. Di Francesco, J. M. Guralnik et al., “Physical disability and muscular strength in relation to obesity and different body composition indexes in a sample of healthy elderly women,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 234–241, 2004.
- S. Stenholm, D. Alley, S. Bandinelli et al., “The effect of obesity combined with low muscle strength on decline in mobility in older persons: results from the InCHIANTI Study,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 635–644, 2009.
- R. Burton, K. Elkins, K. B. Kiesel, and P. J. Plisky, “Gender differences in functional movement screen and Y-balance test scores in middle aged school children,” Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, vol. 41, p. 183, 2009.