- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 708505, 14 pages
Influence of Weight Loss, Body Composition, and Lifestyle Behaviors on Plasma Adipokines: A Randomized Weight Loss Trial in Older Men and Women with Symptomatic Knee Osteoarthritis
1Department of Health and Exercise Science, Wake Forest University, Reynolda Station, P.O. Box 7868 Winston-Salem, NC 27109, USA
2Department of Biology, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, NC 27109, USA
3Department of Mathematics, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, NC 27109, USA
Received 31 August 2012; Revised 15 November 2012; Accepted 19 November 2012
Academic Editor: Renato Pasquali
Copyright © 2012 Gary D. Miller et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. M. Flegal, M. D. Carroll, B. K. Kit, and C. L. Ogden, “Prevalence of obesity and trends in the distribution of body mass index among US adults, 1999–2010,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 307, pp. 491–497, 2012.
- E. Zoico and R. Roubenoff, “The role of cytokines in regulating protein metabolism and muscle function,” Nutrition Reviews, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 39–51, 2002.
- N. Ouchi, J. L. Parker, J. J. Lugus, and K. Walsh, “Adipokines in inflammation and metabolic disease,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 85–97, 2011.
- A. H. Berg and P. E. Scherer, “Adipose tissue, inflammation, and cardiovascular disease,” Circulation Research, vol. 96, no. 9, pp. 939–949, 2005.
- A. Koerner, J. Kratzsch, and W. Kiess, “Adipocytokines: leptin—the classical, resistin—the controversical, adiponectin—the promising, and more to come,” Best Practice & Research Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 525–546, 2005.
- H. Waki and P. Tontonoz, “Endocrine functions of adipose tissue,” Annual Review of Pathology, vol. 2, pp. 31–56, 2007.
- S. Galic, J. S. Oakhill, and G. R. Steinberg, “Adipose tissue as an endocrine organ,” Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, vol. 316, no. 2, pp. 129–139, 2010.
- M. H. Rokling-Andersen, J. E. Reseland, M. B. Veierød et al., “Effects of long-term exercise and diet intervention on plasma adipokine concentrations,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 86, no. 5, pp. 1293–1301, 2007.
- J. L. Chan, S. Blüher, N. Yiannakouris, M. A. Suchard, J. Kratzsch, and C. S. Mantzoros, “Regulation of circulating soluble leptin receptor levels by gender, adiposity, sex steroids, and leptin observational and interventional studies in humans,” Diabetes, vol. 51, no. 7, pp. 2105–2112, 2002.
- L. Huang, Z. Wang, and C. Li, “Modulation of circulating leptin levels by its soluble receptor,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 276, no. 9, pp. 6343–6349, 2001.
- B. E. Wolfe, D. C. Jimerson, C. Orlova, and C. S. Mantzoros, “Effect of dieting on plasma leptin, soluble leptin receptor, adiponectin and resistin levels in healthy volunteers,” Clinical Endocrinology, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 332–338, 2004.
- S. M. Ata, U. Vaishnav, M. Puglisi et al., “Macronutrient composition and increased physical activity modulate plasma adipokines and appetite hormones during a weight loss intervention,” Journal of Women's Health, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 139–145, 2010.
- L. U. Monzillo, O. Hamdy, E. S. Horton et al., “Effect of lifestyle modification on adipokine levels in obese subjects with insulin resistance,” Obesity Research, vol. 11, no. 9, pp. 1048–1054, 2003.
- G. D. Miller, B. J. Nicklas, C. C. Davis, W. T. Ambrosius, R. F. Loeser, and S. P. Messier, “Is serum leptin related to physical function and is it modifiable through weight loss and exercise in older adults with knee osteoarthritis?” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 1383–1390, 2004.
- M. Yannakoulia, N. Yiannakouris, S. Blüher, A. L. Matalas, D. Klimis-Zacas, and C. S. Mantzoros, “Body fat mass and macronutrient intake in relation to circulating soluble leptin receptor, free leptin index, adiponectin, and resistin concentrations in healthy humans,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 88, no. 4, pp. 1730–1736, 2003.
- C. M. Friedenreich, H. K. Neilson, C. G. Woolcott et al., “Changes in insulin resistance indicators, IGFs, and adipokines in a year-long trial of aerobic exercise in postmenopausal women,” Endocrine-Related Cancer, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 357–369, 2011.
- J. Jürimäe, T. Kums, and T. Jürimäe, “Plasma adiponectin concentration is associated with the average accelerometer daily steps counts in healthy elderly females,” European Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 109, no. 5, pp. 823–828, 2010.
- V. M. Mendoza-Núñez, Á. García-Sánchez, M. Sánchez-Rodríguez, R. E. Galván-Duarte, and M. E. Fonseca-Yerena, “Overweight, waist circumference, age, gender, and insulin resistance as risk factors for hyperleptinemia,” Obesity Research, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 253–259, 2002.
- Y. M. Rolland, H. M. Perry, P. Patrick, W. A. Banks, and J. E. Morley, “Leptin and adiponectin levels in middle-aged postmenopausal women: associations with lifestyle habits, hormones, and inflammatory markers—a cross-sectional study,” Metabolism, vol. 55, no. 12, pp. 1630–1636, 2006.
- C. E. Ruhl, J. E. Everhart, J. Ding et al., “Serum leptin concentrations and body adipose measures in older black and white adults,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 576–583, 2004.
- U. I. Khan, D. Wang, M. R. Sowers et al., “Race-ethnic differences in adipokine levels: the Study of Women's Health Across the Nation (SWAN),” Metabolism, vol. 61, pp. 1261–1269, 2012.
- B. J. Nicklas, “Gender differences in the response of plasma leptin concentrations to weight loss in obese older individuals,” Obesity Research, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 62–68, 1997.
- B. J. Nicklas, M. J. Toth, A. P. Goldberg, and E. T. Poehlman, “Racial differences in plasma leptin concentrations in obese postmenopausal women,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 315–317, 1997.
- J. Kratzsch, A. Lammert, A. Bottner et al., “Circulating soluble leptin receptor and free leptin index during childhood, puberty, and adolescence,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 87, no. 10, pp. 4587–4594, 2002.
- N. Moller, P. O'Brien, and K. S. Nair, “Disruption of the relationship between fat content and leptin levels with aging in humans,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 83, no. 3, pp. 931–934, 1998.
- R. F. Loeser, “Systemic and local regulation of articular cartilage metabolism: where does leptin fit in the puzzle?” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 48, no. 11, pp. 3009–3012, 2003.
- Y. Figenschau, G. Knutsen, S. Shahazeydi, O. Johansen, and B. Sveinbjörnsson, “Human articular chondrocytes express functional leptin receptors,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 287, no. 1, pp. 190–197, 2001.
- M. Otero, J. J. Gomez Reino, and O. Gualillo, “Synergistic induction of nitric oxide synthase type II: in vitro effect of leptin and interferon-γ in human chondrocytes and ATDC5 chondrogenic cells,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 404–409, 2003.
- A. Scharstuhl, H. L. Glansbeek, H. M. Van Beuningen, E. L. Vitters, P. M. Van der Kraan, and W. B. Van den Berg, “Inhibition of endogenous TGF-β during experimental osteoarthritis prevents osteophyte formation and impairs cartilage repair,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 169, no. 1, pp. 507–514, 2002.
- R. I. Issa and T. M. Griffin, “Pathobiology of obesity and osteoarthritis: integrating biomechanics and inflammation,” Pathobiology of Aging & Age Related Diseases, vol. 2, Article ID 17470, 2012.
- T. N. de Boer, W. E. van Spil, A. M. Huisman et al., “Serum adipokines in osteoarthritis, comparison with controls and relationship with local parameters of synovial inflammation and cartilage damage,” Osteoarthritis Cartilage, vol. 20, pp. 846–853, 2012.
- G. D. Miller, B. J. Nicklas, C. Davis, R. F. Loeser, L. Lenchik, and S. P. Messier, “Intensive weight loss program improves physical function in older obese adults with knee osteoarthritis,” Obesity, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 1219–1230, 2006.
- M. D. Witham and A. Avenell, “Interventions to achieve long-term weight loss in obese older people. A systematic review and meta-analysis,” Age and Ageing, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 176–184, 2010.
- G. D. Miller, B. J. Nicklas, and R. F. Loeser, “Inflammatory biomarkers and physical function in older, obese adults with knee pain and self-reported osteoarthritis after intensive weight-loss therapy,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 644–651, 2008.
- M. G. McConway, D. Johnson, A. Kelly, D. Griffin, J. Smith, and A. M. Wallace, “Differences in circulating concentrations of total, free and bound leptin relate to gender and body composition in adult humans,” Annals of Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 717–723, 2000.
- S. M. Kuo and M. M. Halpern, “Lack of association between body mass index and plasma adiponectin levels in healthy adults,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 35, pp. 1487–1494, 2011.
- P. Magni, A. Liuzzi, M. Ruscica et al., “Free and bound plasma leptin in normal weight and obese men and women: relationship with body composition, resting energy expenditure, insulin-sensitivity, lipid profile and macronutrient preference,” Clinical Endocrinology, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 189–196, 2005.
- M. Rosenbaum, M. Nicolson, J. Hirsch et al., “Effects of gender, body composition, and menopause on plasma concentrations of leptin,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 81, no. 9, pp. 3424–3427, 1996.
- J. P. Bastard, C. Jardel, E. Bruckert et al., “Elevated levels of interleukin 6 are reduced in serum and subcutaneous adipose tissue of obese women after weight loss,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 85, no. 9, pp. 3338–3342, 2000.
- C. Xenachis, E. Samojlik, M. P. Raghuwanshi, and M. A. Kirschner, “Leptin, insulin and TNF-α in weight loss,” Journal of Endocrinological Investigation, vol. 24, no. 11, pp. 865–870, 2001.
- F. M. Finucane, J. Luan, N. J. Wareham et al., “Correlation of the leptin: adiponectin ratio with measures of insulin resistance in non-diabetic individuals,” Diabetologia, vol. 52, no. 11, pp. 2345–2349, 2009.
- B. Thorand, A. Zierer, J. Baumert, C. Meisinger, C. Herder, and W. Koenig, “Associations between leptin and the leptin/adiponectin ratio and incident Type 2 diabetes in middle-aged men and women: results from the MONICA/KORA Augsburg Study 1984–2002,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 1004–1011, 2010.
- N. Satoh, M. Naruse, T. Usui et al., “Leptin-to-adiponectin ratio as a potential atherogenic index in obese type 2 diabetic patients,” Diabetes Care, vol. 27, no. 10, pp. 2488–2490, 2004.
- Y. Arita, S. Kihara, N. Ouchi et al., “Paradoxical decrease of an adipose-specific protein, adiponectin, in obesity,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 257, no. 1, pp. 79–83, 1999.
- K. Hotta, T. Funahashi, Y. Arita et al., “Plasma concentrations of a novel, adipose-specific protein, adiponectin, in type 2 diabetic patients,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 1595–1599, 2000.
- A. Lammert, W. Kiess, A. Bottner, A. Glasow, and J. Kratzsch, “Soluble leptin receptor represents the main leptin binding activity in human blood,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 283, no. 4, pp. 982–988, 2001.
- J. Beltowski, “Leptin and atherosclerosis,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 189, no. 1, pp. 47–60, 2006.
- S. P. Messier, R. F. Loeser, M. N. Mitchell et al., “Exercise and weight loss in obese older adults with knee osteoarthritis: a preliminary study,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 48, no. 9, pp. 1062–1072, 2000.
- S. P. Messier, R. F. Loeser, G. D. Miller et al., “Exercise and dietary weight loss in overweight and obese older adults with knee osteoarthritis: the arthritis, diet, and activity promotion trial,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 1501–1510, 2004.