- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 729283, 7 pages
The Impact of Obesity on Back and Core Muscular Endurance in Firefighters
1School of Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation Sciences and Office of Clinical Research (RC), Morsani College of Medicine, University of South Florida, 12901 Bruce B. Downs Boulevard, MDC77, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
2Vert Mooney Research Foundation, San Diego, CA 92123, USA
3Palladian Health, West Seneca, NY 14224, USA
Received 13 September 2012; Revised 25 October 2012; Accepted 25 October 2012
Academic Editor: Jack A. Yanovski
Copyright © 2012 John M. Mayer et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- International Association of Fire Fighters and International Association of Fire Chiefs, The Fire Service Joint Labor Management Wellness-Fitness Initiative, International Association of Fire Fighters and International Association of Fire Chiefs, Spokane Valley, Wash, USA, 3rd edition edition, 2008.
- G. S. Poplin, R. B. Harris, K. M. Pollack, W. F. Peate, and J. L. Burgess, “Beyond the fireground: injuries in the fire service,” Injury Prevention, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 228–233, 2011.
- W. S. C. Poston, C. K. Haddock, S. A. Jahnke, N. Jitnarin, B. C. Tuley, and S. N. Kales, “The prevalence of overweight, obesity, and substandard fitness in a population-based firefighter cohort,” Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 266–273, 2011.
- E. S. Soteriades, R. Hauser, I. Kawachi, D. C. Christiani, and S. N. Kales, “Obesity and risk of job disability in male firefighters,” Occupational Medicine, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 245–250, 2008.
- R. Shiri, J. Karppinen, P. Leino-Arjas, S. Solovieva, and E. Viikari-Juntura, “The association between obesity and low back pain: a meta-analysis,” The American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 171, no. 2, pp. 135–154, 2010.
- Å. Dedering, G. Németh, and K. Harms-Ringdahl, “Correlation between electromyographic spectral changes and subjective assessment of lumbar muscle fatigue in subjects without pain from the lower back,” Clinical Biomechanics, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 103–111, 1999.
- C. E. Mbada, O. Ayanniyi, R. A. Adedoyin, and O. E. Johnson, “Static endurance of the back extensor muscles: association between performance and reported reasons for test termination,” Journal of Musculoskeletal Research, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 13–21, 2010.
- C. Demoulin, M. Vanderthommen, C. Duysens, and J. M. Crielaard, “Spinal muscle evaluation using the sorensen test: a critical appraisal of the literature,” Joint Bone Spine, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 43–50, 2006.
- J. A. Hides, M. J. Stokes, M. Saide, G. A. Jull, and D. H. Cooper, “Evidence of lumbar multifidus muscle wasting ipsilateral to symptoms in patients with acute/subacute low back pain,” Spine, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 165–172, 1994.
- V. Mooney, J. Gulick, M. Perlman et al., “Relationships between myoelectric activity, strength, and MRI of lumbar extensor muscles in back pain patients and normal subjects,” Journal of Spinal Disorders, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 348–356, 1997.
- G. L. Soderberg and J. O. Barr, “Muscular function in chronic low-back dysfunction,” Spine, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 79–85, 1983.
- D. A. Fields, M. I. Goran, and M. A. Mccrory, “Body-composition assessment via air-displacement plethysmography in adults and children: a review,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 75, no. 3, pp. 453–467, 2002.
- B. E. Udermann, J. M. Mayer, J. E. Graves, and S. R. Murray, “Quantitative assessment of lumbar paraspinal muscle endurance,” Journal of Athletic Training, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 259–262, 2003.
- K. L. Schellenberg, J. M. Lang, K. M. Chan, and R. S. Burnham, “A clinical tool for office assessment of lumbar spine stabilization endurance: prone and supine bridge maneuvers,” The American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 86, no. 5, pp. 380–386, 2007.
- D. O. Okorodudu, M. F. Jumean, V. M. Montori et al., “Diagnostic performance of body mass index to identify obesity as defined by body adiposity: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 791–799, 2010.
- L. E. Gibbons, T. Videman, and M. C. Battié, “Determinants of isokinetic and psychophysical lifting strength and static back muscle endurance: a study of male monozygotic twins,” Spine, vol. 22, no. 24, pp. 2983–2990, 1997.
- M. Pääsuke, E. Johanson, M. Proosa, J. Ereline, and H. Gapeyeva, “Back extensor muscle fatigability in chronic low back pain patients and controls: relationship between electromyogram power spectrum changes and body mass index,” Journal of Back and Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 17–24, 2002.
- M. A. Michaelides, K. M. Parpa, L. J. Henry, G. B. Thompson, and B. S. Brown, “Assessment of physical fitness aspects and their relationship to firefighters' job abilities,” Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 956–965, 2011.