- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 969124, 9 pages
The Impact of Abdominal Obesity Status on Cardiovascular Response to the Mediterranean Diet
1Institute of Nutraceuticals and Functional Foods, Laval University, 2440 Hochelaga Boulevard, QC, Canada G1V 0A6
2Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Pavillon Paul-Comtois, Laval University, 2425 Rue de l'Agriculture, QC, Canada G1V 0A6
3Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Pavillon Ferdinand-Vandry, Laval University, 1050 Medicine Avenue, QC, Canada G1V 0A6
Received 4 July 2012; Revised 10 September 2012; Accepted 18 September 2012
Academic Editor: Robert Ross
Copyright © 2012 Alexandra Bédard et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. W. Haslam and W. P. T. James, “Obesity,” The Lancet, vol. 366, no. 9492, pp. 1197–1209, 2005.
- S. B. van Dijk, T. Takken, E. C. Prinsen, and H. Wittink, “Different anthropometric adiposity measures and their association with cardiovascular disease risk factors: a meta-analysis,” Netherlands Heart Journal, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 208–218, 2012.
- I. Janssen, P. T. Katzmarzyk, and R. Ross, “Waist circumference and not body mass index explains obesity-related health risk,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 79, no. 3, pp. 379–384, 2004.
- M. C. Pouliot, J. P. Despres, S. Lemieux et al., “Waist circumference and abdominal sagittal diameter: best simple anthropometric indexes of abdominal visceral adipose tissue accumulation and related cardiovascular risk in men and women,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 73, no. 7, pp. 460–468, 1994.
- National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III), “Third report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III) final report,” Circulation, vol. 106, no. 25, pp. 3143–3421, 2002.
- J. D. Douketis, G. Paradis, H. Keller, and C. Martineau, “Canadian guidelines for body weight classification in adults: application in clinical practice to screen for overweight and obesity and to assess disease risk,” Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 172, no. 8, pp. 995–998, 2005.
- P. T. Katzmarzyk, G. A. Bray, F. L. Greenway et al., “Ethnic-specific BMI and waist circumference thresholds,” Obesity, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 1272–1278, 2011.
- R. C. Gwynn, M. Berger, R. K. Garg, E. N. Waddell, R. Philburn, and L. E. Thorpe, “Measures of adiposity and cardiovascular disease risk factors, New York City Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2004,” Preventing Chronic Disease, vol. 8, no. 3, p. A56, 2011.
- J. Genest, R. McPherson, J. Frohlich et al., “2009 Canadian Cardiovascular Society/Canadian guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of dyslipidemia and prevention of cardiovascular disease in the adult—2009 recommendations,” Canadian Journal of Cardiology, vol. 25, no. 10, pp. 567–579, 2009.
- C. Richard, P. Couture, S. Desroches, A. Charest, and B. Lamarche, “Effect of the Mediterranean diet with and without weight loss on cardiovascular risk factors in men with the metabolic syndrome,” Nutrition, Metabolism & Cardiovascular Diseases, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 628–635, 2011.
- L. A. Frassetto, M. Schloetter, M. Mietus-Synder, R. C. Morris, and A. Sebastian, “Metabolic and physiologic improvements from consuming a paleolithic, hunter-gatherer type diet,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 63, no. 8, pp. 947–955, 2009.
- R. R. Wing and J. O. Hill, “Successful weight loss maintenance,” Annual Review of Nutrition, vol. 21, pp. 323–341, 2001.
- F. Sofi, F. Cesari, R. Abbate, G. F. Gensini, and A. Casini, “Adherence to Mediterranean diet and health status: meta-analysis,” British Medical Journal, vol. 337, p. a1344, 2008.
- T. T. Fung, K. M. Rexrode, C. S. Mantzoros, J. E. Manson, W. C. Willett, and F. B. Hu, “Mediterranean diet and incidence of and mortality from coronary heart disease and stroke in women,” Circulation, vol. 119, no. 8, pp. 1093–1100, 2009.
- C. M. Kastorini, H. J. Milionis, K. Esposito, D. Giugliano, J. A. Goudevenos, and D. B. Panagiotakos, “The effect of mediterranean diet on metabolic syndrome and its components: a meta-analysis of 50 studies and 534,906 individuals,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 57, no. 11, pp. 1299–1313, 2011.
- A. Bédard, M. Riverin, S. Dodin, L. Corneau, and S. Lemieux, “Sex differences in the impact of the Mediterranean diet on cardiovascular risk profile,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 108, pp. 1428–1434, 2012.
- C. Couillard, N. Bergeron, D. Prud'homme et al., “Gender difference in postprandial lipemia—importance of visceral adipose tissue accumulation,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 2448–2455, 1999.
- C. Couillard, N. Bergeron, D. Prud'homme et al., “Postprandial triglyceride response in visceral obesity in men,” Diabetes, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 953–960, 1998.
- B. Hitze, D. Rubin, U. Helwig, J. Schrezenmeir, A. Bosy-Westphal, and M. J. Müller, “Postprandial triglyceride response in men: role of overweight, abdominal fat and nutrition,” Obesity Facts, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 45–51, 2008.
- Y. Jang, O. Y. Kim, H. J. Ryu et al., “Visceral fat accumulation determines postprandial lipemic response, lipid peroxidation, DNA damage, and endothelial dysfunction in nonobese Korean men,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 44, no. 12, pp. 2356–2364, 2003.
- J. P. Després, I. Lemieux, J. Bergeron et al., “Abdominal obesity and the metabolic syndrome: contribution to global cardiometabolic risk,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 1039–1049, 2008.
- International Diabetes Federation, IDF Worldwide Definition of the Metabolic Syndrome, Brussels, Belgium, 2006.
- Minister of Health Canada, Eating Well with Canada's Food Guide, Ottawa, Canada, 2007.
- W. C. Willett, F. Sacks, A. Trichopoulou et al., “Mediterranean diet pyramid: a cultural model for healthy eating,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 1402S–1406S, 1995.
- J. Goulet, G. Nadeau, A. Lapointe, B. Lamarche, and S. Lemieux, “Validity and reproducibility of an interviewer-administered food frequency questionnaire for healthy French-Canadian men and women,” Nutrition Journal, vol. 3, article 13, 2004.
- R. A. Muesing, M. R. Forman, B. I. Graubard et al., “Cyclic changes in lipoproprotein and apolipoprotein levels during the menstrual cycle in healthy premenopausal women on a controlled diet,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 81, no. 10, pp. 3599–3603, 1996.
- J. Goulet, B. Lamarche, G. Nadeau, and S. Lemieux, “Effect of a nutritional intervention promoting the Mediterranean food pattern on plasma lipids, lipoproteins and body weight in healthy French-Canadian women,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 170, no. 1, pp. 115–124, 2003.
- T. G. Lohman, A. F. Roche, and R. Martorell, Anthropometric Standardization Reference Manual, Human Kinetics Books, Champaign, Ill, USA, 1998.
- N. M. McKeown, L. M. Troy, P. F. Jacques, U. Hoffmann, C. J. O'Donnell, and C. S. Fox, “Whole- and refined-grain intakes are differentially associated with abdominal visceral and subcutaneous adiposity in healthy adults: the Framingham Heart Study,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 92, no. 5, pp. 1165–1171, 2010.
- Y. Lin, I. Huybrechts, S. Vandevijvere et al., “Fibre intake among the Belgian population by sex-age and sex-education groups and its association with BMI and waist circumference,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 105, no. 11, pp. 1692–1703, 2011.
- P. Koh-Banerjee, N. F. Chu, D. Spiegelman et al., “Prospective study of the association of changes in dietary intake, physical activity, alcohol consumption, and smoking with 9-y gain in waist circumference among 16 587 US men,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 78, no. 4, pp. 719–727, 2003.
- J. A. Paniagua, A. Gallego de la Sacristana, I. Romero et al., “Monounsaturated fat-rich diet prevents central body fat distribution and decreases postprandial adiponectin expression induced by a carbohydrate-rich diet in insulin-resistant subjects,” Diabetes Care, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 1717–1723, 2007.
- M. B. Bos, J. H. M. de Vries, E. J. M. Feskens et al., “Effect of a high monounsaturated fatty acids diet and a Mediterranean diet on serum lipids and insulin sensitivity in adults with mild abdominal obesity,” Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases, vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 591–598, 2010.
- K. McManus, L. Antinoro, and F. Sacks, “A randomized controlled trial of a moderate-fat, low-energy diet compared with a low fat, low-energy diet for weight loss in overweight adults,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 25, no. 10, pp. 1503–1511, 2001.
- G. Fanghänel, L. Sánchez-Reyes, L. Félix-García, R. Violante-Ortiz, E. Campos-Franco, and L. A. Alcocer, “Impact of waist circumference reduction on cardiovascular risk in treated obese subjects,” Cirugia y Cirujanos, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 175–181, 2011.
- W. R. Archer, B. Lamarche, O. Dériaz et al., “Variations in body composition and plasma lipids in response to a high-carbohydrate diet,” Obesity Research, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 978–986, 2003.
- J. M. Abbot, C. A. Thomson, J. Ranger-Moore et al., “Psychosocial and behavioral profile and predictors of self-reported energy underreporting in obese middle-aged women,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 108, no. 1, pp. 114–119, 2008.
- L. Hodson, C. M. Skeaff, and J. E. McKenzie, “Maximal response to a plasma cholesterol-lowering diet is achieved within two weeks,” Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 291–295, 2002.
- C. J. Dobbelsteyn, M. R. Joffres, D. R. MacLean et al., “A comparative evaluation of waist circumference, waist-to-hip ratio and body mass index as indicators of cardiovascular risk factors. The Canadian Heart Health Surveys,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 652–661, 2001.