- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 108507, 4 pages
Endoscopic Revision (StomaphyX) versus Formal Surgical Revision (Gastric Bypass) for Failed Vertical Band Gastroplasty
1Department of Surgery, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada T6G 2B7
2Department of Surgery, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
3Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada T6G 2B7
4Center for the Advancement of Minimally Invasive Surgery (CAMIS), Community Services Center, Royal Alexandra Hospital, Room 405, 10240 Kingsway, Edmonton, AB, Canada T5H 3V9
Received 30 September 2012; Revised 4 December 2012; Accepted 18 December 2012
Academic Editor: Francesco Saverio Papadia
Copyright © 2013 Johan Bolton et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- WHO, “Obesity and overweight,” Fact Sheet 311, 2011.
- R. Padwal, S. Klarenbach, N. Wiebe et al., “Bariatric surgery: a systematic review and network meta-analysis of randomized trials,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 602–621, 2011.
- E. E. Mason, “Vertical banded gastroplasty for obesity,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 117, no. 5, pp. 701–706, 1982.
- B. M. Balsiger, J. L. Poggio, J. Mai, K. A. Kelly, and M. G. Sarr, “Ten and more years after vertical banded gastroplasty as primary operation for morbid obesity,” Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 598–605, 2000.
- E. E. Mason and J. J. Cullen, “Management of complications in vertical banded gastroplasty,” Current Surgery, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 33–37, 2003.
- D. A. del Amo, M. M. Díez, M. E. Guedea, and V. A. Diago, “Vertical banded gastroplasty: is it a durable operation for morbid obesity?” Obesity Surgery, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 536–538, 2004.
- H. J. Sugerman, J. M. Kellum Jr., E. J. DeMaria, and H. D. Reines, “Conversion of failed or complicated vertical banded gastroplasty to gastric bypass in morbid obesity,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 171, no. 2, pp. 263–269, 1996.
- J. Hedberg, S. Gustavsson, and M. Sundom, “Long-term follow-up in patients undergoing open gastric bypass as a revisional operation for previous failed restrictive procedures,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 696–701, 2012.
- D. J. Gagné, E. Dovec, and J. E. Urbandt, “Laparoscopic revision of vertical banded gastroplasty to Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: outcomes of 105 patients,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 493–499, 2011.
- R. W. Schwartz, W. E. Strodel, W. S. Simpson, and W. O. Griffen, “Gastric bypass revision: lessons learned from 920 cases,” Surgery, vol. 104, no. 4, pp. 806–812, 1988.
- J. de Csepel, R. Nahouraii, and M. Gagner, “Laparoscopic gastric bypass as a reoperative bariatric surgery for failed open restrictive procedures: initial experience in seven patients,” Surgical Endoscopy, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 393–397, 2001.
- N. Manouchehri, D. Birch, C. Menzes, X. Shi, and S. Karmali, “Natural orifice surgery: endoluminal pouch reduction following failed vertical banded gastroplasy,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 1787–1791, 2011.
- D. Mikami, B. Needleman, V. Narula, J. Durant, and W. S. Melvin, “Natural orifice surgery: initial US experience utilizing the StomaphyX TM device to reduce gastric pouches after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass,” Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 223–228, 2010.
- D. C. Lau, J. D. Douketis, K. M. Morrison, I. M. Hramiak, A. M. Sharma, and E. Ur, “2006 Canadian clinical practice guidelines on the management and prevention of obesity in adults and children,” Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 176, no. 8, pp. S1–S13, 2007.
- I. M. Leitman, C. S. Virk, D. V. Avgerinos et al., “Early results of trans-oral endoscopic plication and revision of the gastric pouch and stoma following Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery,” Journal of the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 217–220, 2010.