- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 131349, 8 pages
Systemic Inflammation and Lung Function Impairment in Morbidly Obese Subjects with the Metabolic Syndrome
1Department of Pulmonology, Sint Franciscus Gasthuis, Kleiweg 500, 3045 PM Rotterdam, The Netherlands
2Department of Internal Medicine, Sint Franciscus Gasthuis, 3045 PM Rotterdam, The Netherlands
3Department of Statistics, Sint Franciscus Gasthuis, 3045 PM Rotterdam, The Netherlands
4Institute of Health Policy and Management, Erasmus University Rotterdam, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
5Department of Clinical Chemistry, Sint Franciscus Gasthuis, 3045 PM Rotterdam, The Netherlands
6Department of Surgery, Sint Franciscus Gasthuis, 3045 PM Rotterdam, The Netherlands
7Department of Pulmonology, Leiden University Medical Center, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
Received 7 October 2012; Revised 6 January 2013; Accepted 26 January 2013
Academic Editor: David Allison
Copyright © 2013 Astrid van Huisstede et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- WHO, “Obesity and overweight,” Fact Sheet no. 311, 2011, http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs311/en/index.html.
- E. S. Ford, “The epidemiology of obesity and asthma,” The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 115, no. 5, pp. 897–909, 2005.
- B. Stenius-Aarniala, T. Poussa, J. Kvarnström, E. L. Grönlund, M. Ylikahri, and P. Mustajoki, “Immediate and long term effects of weight reduction in obese people with asthma: randomised controlled study,” The British Medical Journal, vol. 320, no. 7238, pp. 827–832, 2000.
- S. M. Grundy, H. B. Brewer Jr., J. I. Cleeman, S. C. Smith Jr., and C. Lenfant, “Definition of metabolic syndrome: report of the national heart, lung, and blood institute/American heart association conference on scientific issues related to definition,” Circulation, vol. 109, no. 3, pp. 433–438, 2004.
- J. V. Selby, G. D. Friedman, and C. P. Quesenberry Jr., “Precursors of essential hypertension: pulmonary function, heart rate, uric acid, serum cholesterol, and other serum chemistries,” The American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 131, no. 6, pp. 1017–1027, 1990.
- E. S. Ford and D. M. Mannino, “Prospective association between lung function and the incidence of diabetes: findings from the national health and nutrition examination survey epidemiologic follow-up study,” Diabetes Care, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 2966–2970, 2004.
- H. C. Yeh, N. M. Punjabi, N. Y. Wang et al., “Cross-sectional and prospective study of lung function in adults with type 2 diabetes: the atherosclerosis risk in communities (ARIC) study,” Diabetes Care, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 741–746, 2008.
- D. J. Cirillo, Y. Agrawal, and P. A. Cassano, “Lipids and pulmonary function in the third national health and nutrition examination survey,” The American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 155, no. 9, pp. 842–848, 2002.
- M. Bottai, F. Pistelli, F. di Pede et al., “Longitudinal changes of body mass index, spirometry and diffusion in a general population,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 665–673, 2002.
- N. Leone, D. Courbon, F. Thomas et al., “Lung function impairment and metabolic syndrome the critical role of abdominal obesity,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 179, no. 6, pp. 509–516, 2009.
- W. Y. Lin, C. A. Yao, H. C. Wang, and K. C. Huang, “Impaired lung function is associated with obesity and metabolic syndrome in adults,” Obesity, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 1654–1661, 2006.
- B. Naveed, M. D. Weiden, S. Kwon, E. J. Gracely, A. L. Comfort, N. Ferrier, et al., “Metabolic syndrome biomarkers predict lung function impairment: a nested case-control study,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 185, no. 4, pp. 392–399, 2012.
- M. W. Johns, “A new method for measuring daytime sleepiness: the epworth sleepiness scale,” Sleep, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 540–545, 1991.
- R. Jones, O. Junghard, J. Dent et al., “Development of the GerdQ, a tool for the diagnosis and management of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease in primary care,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 30, no. 10, pp. 1030–1038, 2009.
- M. R. Miller, J. Hankinson, V. Brusasco et al., “Standardisation of spirometry,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 319–338, 2005.
- Y. W. Park, S. Zhu, L. Palaniappan, S. Heshka, M. R. Carnethon, and S. B. Heymsfield, “The metabolic syndrome: prevalence and associated risk factor findings in the US population from the third national health and nutrition examination survey, 1988–1994,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 163, no. 4, pp. 427–436, 2003.
- D. A. Beuther, S. T. Weiss, and E. R. Sutherland, “Obesity and asthma,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 174, no. 2, pp. 112–119, 2006.
- S. D. Aaron, K. L. Vandemheen, L. P. Boulet et al., “Overdiagnosis of asthma in obese and nonobese adults,” Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 179, no. 11, pp. 1121–1131, 2008.
- C. Irace, C. Cortese, E. Fiaschi et al., “Components of the metabolic syndrome and carotid atherosclerosis: role of elevated blood pressure,” Hypertension, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 597–601, 2005.
- D. J. Kim, J. H. Noh, B. W. Lee et al., “The associations of total and differential white blood cell counts with obesity, hypertension, dyslipidemia and glucose intolerance in a Korean population,” Journal of Korean Medical Science, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 193–198, 2008.
- W. S. Shim, H. J. Kim, E. S. Kang et al., “The association of total and differential white blood cell count with metabolic syndrome in type 2 diabetic patients,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 284–291, 2006.
- D. R. Cottam, P. A. Schaefer, G. W. Shaftan, L. Velcu, and L. D. G. Angus, “Effect of surgically-induced weight loss on leukocyte indicators of chronic inflammation in morbid obesity,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 335–342, 2002.
- M. Visser, L. M. Bouter, G. M. McQuillan, M. H. Wener, and T. B. Harris, “Elevated C-reactive protein levels in overweight and obese adults,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 282, no. 22, pp. 2131–2135, 1999.
- T. Ronti, G. Lupattelli, and E. Mannarino, “The endocrine function of adipose tissue: an update,” Clinical Endocrinology, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 355–365, 2006.
- R. V. Considine, M. K. Sinha, M. L. Heiman et al., “Serum immunoreactive-leptin concentrations in normal-weight and obese humans,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 334, no. 5, pp. 292–295, 1996.
- H. Kato, S. Ueki, R. Kamada et al., “Leptin has a priming effect on eotaxin-induced human eosinophil chemotaxis,” International Archives of Allergy and Immunology, vol. 155, no. 4, pp. 335–344, 2011.
- S. Conus, A. Bruno, and H. U. Simon, “Leptin is an eosinophil survival factor,” The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 116, no. 6, pp. 1228–1234, 2005.
- D. D. Sin and S. F. P. Man, “Impaired lung function and serum leptin in men and women with normal body weight: a population based study,” Thorax, vol. 58, no. 8, pp. 695–698, 2003.
- A. R. Vasudevan, H. Wu, A. M. Xydakis et al., “Eotaxin and obesity,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 256–261, 2006.
- H. J. Kim, C. H. Kim, D. H. Lee et al., “Expression of eotaxin in 3T3-L1 adipocytes and the effects of weight loss in high-fat diet induced obese mice,” Nutrition Research and Practice, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 11–19, 2011.
- S. Engeli, M. Feldpausch, K. Gorzelniak et al., “Association between adiponectin and mediators of inflammation in obese women,” Diabetes, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 942–947, 2003.
- F. M. Finucane, J. Luan, N. J. Wareham et al., “Correlation of the leptin: adiponectin ratio with measures of insulin resistance in non-diabetic individuals,” Diabetologia, vol. 52, no. 11, pp. 2345–2349, 2009.
- J. H. Yoon, J. K. Park, S. S. Oh, K. H. Lee, S. K. Kim, I. J. Cho, et al., “The ratio of serum leptin to adiponectin provides adjunctive information to the risk of metabolic syndrome beyond the homeostasis model assessment insulin resistance: the Korean genomic rural cohort study,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 412, no. 23-24, pp. 2199–2205, 2011.
- E. J. Lee, K. H. In, E. S. Ha et al., “Asthma-like symptoms are increased in the metabolic syndrome,” Journal of Asthma, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 339–342, 2009.
- B. H. Thuesen, L. L. N. Husemoen, L. G. Hersoug, C. Pisinger, and A. Linneberg, “Insulin resistance as a predictor of incident asthma-like symptoms in adults,” Clinical and Experimental Allergy, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 700–707, 2009.
- K. M. de Winter-de Groot, C. K. van der Ent, I. Prins, J. M. Tersmette, and C. S. P. M. Uiterwaal, “Exhaled nitric oxide: the missing link between asthma and obesity?” The The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 115, no. 2, pp. 419–420, 2005.
- T. J. T. Sutherland, J. O. Cowan, S. Young et al., “The association between obesity and asthma: interactions between systemic and airway inflammation,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 178, no. 5, pp. 469–475, 2008.